Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   2 accidents on M6 today but heard nothing on the TV news (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/2-accidents-on-m6-today-but-heard-nothing-on-the-tv-news-40870.html)

WillowTheWhisp 04-07-2008 18:16

2 accidents on M6 today but heard nothing on the TV news

This morning as I was getting the washing organised I was listening to Radio Lancashire and heard people had called in to report a serious accident on the M6 northbound which was causing horrendous tailbacks and people being taken off the motorway and directed up the A6.

I have watched TV news all day on and off and seen no mention of it yet it sounded like a really bad accident according to the people contacting the radio. The southbound traffic had been at a standstill too at one point.

Now I've just heard from Busman who is on his way back from somewhere south of here and there's been another accident and more tailbacks. :(

Sounds like a really bad day for the M6. Are road accidents so common that they don't even make the news now?

derekgas 04-07-2008 18:23

Re: 2 accidents on M6 today but heard nothing on the TV news

I saw on the news this morning that 2 cars had crashed at junction 32 - 33 m6 but nothing since, anything travelling from south on friday after lunch is going nowhere quickly, it is always a nightmare, going back to junction 32, people having no clue which lane they need or trying to speed up the fourth lane only to cut across to the slip road is a regular accident cause.

lancsdave 04-07-2008 18:23

Here's the reason for this mornings closure;

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...hire_motorway/

Friday afternoon on the M6 from Birmingham to Preston is horrendous at the best of times. One slight shunt and it causes mayhem.

panther 04-07-2008 18:23

something on here about the crash, but nothing about the lastest i dont think..
http://www.teletext.co.uk/RegionalNe...t/default.aspx

panther 04-07-2008 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 602196)
Here's the reason for this mornings closure;

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...hire_motorway/

Friday afternoon on the M6 from Birmingham to Preston is horrendous at the best of times. One slight shunt and it causes mayhem.

ya beat me too it:rolleyes:

WillowTheWhisp 04-07-2008 18:36

Apparently a lorry has jackknifed into a bridge between Lymm and Knutsford. Don't know if anyone injured or anyone else involved.

buttonsmum 04-07-2008 19:21

It was closed both ways tonight when Ian was on his way home, luckily he heard before before hand and came home a different way. They were saying on the radio that they thought the bridge was unsafe.

WillowTheWhisp 04-07-2008 19:29

I'd be surprised if it wasn't. I wouldn't fancy going over or under it.

entwisi 04-07-2008 19:41

heh, I was gob smacked to get home as quick as I did, usually when anything near thelwall happens its bedlam in every direction. I wizzed up through mobberley to the airport and up through stockport, home in 1 hour dead :D

Tin Monkey 04-07-2008 20:02

I got caught up in the traffic on the M6 this morning, on my way to the M55. It was a real pain, but it's no good getting stressed about it. It took me 2 hours to get to work, when it normally takes me 45 minutes to get to Blackpool in the mornings.

When I was coming home tonight I was glad that I was leaving the M6 at junction 29. :D

david1 04-07-2008 20:06

I drove up the M6 today , this mornings accident must have been very nasty . There is deep gouge marks in the motorway tarmac , and yellow spray paint everywhere !

WillowTheWhisp 04-07-2008 22:42

That one happened just after 1am and for the road still not to be clear at 8am it must have been awful.

Mick 05-07-2008 07:10

This is taken from the Fire service website

Incident Detail
Road Traffic Collision

4th July 2008, 11:13am
Incident number: 281
Number of appliances: 5
Address:
Junction 28-29
M6 Northbound
Leyland
Road Traffic Collision involving 2 heavy goods vehicles.
1 male person released by Fire Service personnel and conveyed to hospital
Holmatro cutters, spreaders and combi tools in use

WillowTheWhisp 05-07-2008 08:56

That must have been the jack-knifed lorry one. Busman says it was a footbridge not a road bridge (which is a blessing) and that you can see daylight through spaces now which shouldn't be there.

mani 06-07-2008 03:50

sadly they are incredibly common now unless its more than a few vehicles involved and they've got footage to show people.

i rmemeber one morning coming back from london there'd been an accident on the southbound m6 and some debris was on the north bound i'd parked my car with hazards to warn other drivers. once the police got stem of the situation i'd seen one unusual piece on the floor and after a few mins i'd realised it was the driver of the hgv who had been flung out to my side and someone had covered up with a blanket.

next day i kept on teh news and it was mentioned on a 30 second clip but mostly cause it was the M6 section near the RAC centre in birmingham and they had to keep it all closed off causing immense congestion in the area