Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Thatcher to get State funeral (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/thatcher-to-get-state-funeral-41088.html)

steeljack 14-07-2008 20:26

Thatcher to get State funeral

Surprised no one has mentioned this little news item , seemingly Margart Thatcher is to be given a state Funeral when she pops her clogs , the last one being Churchill in 1965

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-funeral.html

So the question is how do accy web users feel about it ? , would it be money well spent ? maybe the poll results could supply the local MP with an indication of local feeling about how the Govt. spends taxpayer money :eek:

garinda 14-07-2008 20:28

Re: Thatcher to get State funeral

I read this too.

The first civilian one since Churchill.

Though as she's still alive, I do think they've spoilt her suprise now.

Lilly 14-07-2008 20:33

LOL at the options on your poll, Steeljack. :D

I expect lots of strong opinions on this one.

I myself haven't got a problem with Margaret Thatcher having a state funeral.

steeljack 14-07-2008 20:38

just as an add-in to the original post , in line with the true principles of democracy the voting in this poll is anonymous :D ;)

West Ender 14-07-2008 20:43

I do not like Margaret Thatcher, I never have, either as a politician or as a person. I do, however, feel a bit sorry for her over this. It can't be very nice when people start discussing your funeral, right in your face, which seems to imply you're on your last legs.

Do I think she should have a state funeral. Why should she? Not everyone agreed with Churchill's peacetime politics but most regarded him as a great war leader. He was a figure-head in the darkest days of WW2 and it was fitting that he should be honoured that way. Thatcher does not even begin to compare.

accyman 14-07-2008 20:46

burn her as a witch but televise it as though it was a state funeral and provide everyone with free popcorn

entwisi 14-07-2008 21:04

At teh time I didn't agree with her policies but I admire teh fact that she stood up for this country and her beliefs rather than turning turtle at the first sign of trouble that teh Labour gov have done ever since.

yep, give teh old girl a send off.

Eric 14-07-2008 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 606595)
burn her as a witch but televise it as though it was a state funeral and provide everyone with free popcorn

I would come over for this ... I'll bring the wieners and the marshmallows:dancedog:

Eric 14-07-2008 21:20

Problem is, when we shuffle off this mortal thingy, will we arrive in Hell to find it privatised:rolleyes:

andrewb 14-07-2008 21:21

I have no problem with her receiving a state funeral. I just hope those who disagree with her are respectful.

Gayle 14-07-2008 21:24

Should every Prime Minister get a state funeral? Or is it only after you've done 10 years service or something - in which case should Tony Blair get one?

Loz 14-07-2008 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 606661)
I have no problem with her receiving a state funeral. I just hope those who disagree with her are respectful.

Respect her for making the rich richer and the poor poorer?

Lilly 14-07-2008 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 606667)
Should every Prime Minister get a state funeral? Or is it only after you've done 10 years service or something - in which case should Tony Blair get one?

If the rule is that you have to have given 10 year's service then yes.

accyman 14-07-2008 21:28

a state funeral for a woman who sank a ship that was immobalised and had surrendered if i am correct

tried for war crimes seems to be more appriopiate which is somthing else she has in common with tony blair

Neil 14-07-2008 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 606667)
in which case should Tony Blair get one?

Yes he should and the sooner the better for leaving us with this idiot in charge.