Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Slow News Day? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/slow-news-day-41214.html)

entwisi 19-07-2008 09:21

Slow News Day?

Flicking through teh Observer I noticed an article

" A Computer lead valued at £1 was stolen from a Vauxhall Meriva parked in St James Road Church overnight on Saturday"

Goodness me, an article for a theft of £1!!!

It probably cost the observer more for teh time involved in typing, setting and printing those lines!!

jaysay 19-07-2008 10:18

Re: Slow News Day?

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 608902)

" A Computer lead valued at £1 was stolen from a Vauxhall Meriva parked in St James Road Church overnight on Saturday"

It probably cost the observer more for teh time involved in typing, setting and printing those lines!!

Not to worry entwisi, you know what they say no news is good news:D

jambutty 19-07-2008 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 608902)

A theft is a theft no matter what its value and should be reported. So where do you draw the line? At £10, £100, £1,000?

Did the article say how the item was stolen? For instance was a window smashed to get it? Was the door jemmied? If so that ups the value of the theft quite a bit. Or did the car owner forget to lock the car doors?

This article also warns people that there is a thief about.

jaysay 19-07-2008 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty (Post 608948)
A theft is a theft no matter what its value and should be reported. So where do you draw the line? At £10, £100, £1,000?

Did the article say how the item was stolen? For instance was a window smashed to get it? Was the door jemmied? If so that ups the value of the theft quite a bit. Or did the car owner forget to lock the car doors?

This article also warns people that there is a thief about.

Not wishing to seem pidantic JB but the theft of an article worth £1???????????? and we already know there are theives about, entwisi was just trying to make the point that it was another Observer none store, something they are getting very good at

emamum 19-07-2008 13:28

shall we start a collection so they can replace it?

garinda 19-07-2008 15:16

Although very sad for the poor woman's family, I though the headlide story 'pub singer dies abroad' hardly worthy of the front page.

I'm sure I could ferret out a better lead story.

emamum 19-07-2008 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 609010)
Although very sad for the poor woman's family, I though the headlide story 'pub singer dies abroad' hardly worthy of the front page.

I'm sure I could ferret out a better lead story.

ROFL well done rindy :D:D:D

maxwell silver 19-07-2008 15:48

Iremember one a few years back where apparently thieveS broke into a bakers in Rishton & stole A jam tart:eek:

emamum 19-07-2008 15:49

They have security guards at Nelson £land cos there was so much stuff being stolen...... saddos

jambutty 19-07-2008 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 608966)
Not wishing to seem pidantic JB but the theft of an article worth £1???????????? and we already know there are theives about, entwisi was just trying to make the point that it was another Observer none store, something they are getting very good at

It might be a non-story to you but what about the victim? Spare a thought for the victim. People don’t until they become a victim and then they want the criminal hung, drawn and quartered.

That computer lead could have been integral to the running of that computer and without it the victim was unable to use the computer. Not being able to use the computer the victim wasn’t able to go on-line and missed a major bargain on E-Bay.

The point is it isn’t just the value of the stolen article but the effects of the theft as well.

accyman 19-07-2008 18:20

what wasnt mentioned is that the £1 computer lead was attatched to a £1000 computer :D

Loz 19-07-2008 19:18

Can't see how this can deemed to be newsworthy!
The Observer is really scrapping the barrel for stories nowadays isn't it?

Lilly 19-07-2008 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loz (Post 609087)
Can't see how this can deemed to be newsworthy!
The Observer is really scrapping the barrel for stories nowadays isn't it?

It's nothing new, Loz.

I remember one article from several years back.

It was about a woman who walked out of the Spar in Ossy with a loaf of bread she hadn't paid for. :eek::D

emamum 19-07-2008 20:43

omg!!!

its easy to do tho.....................ty once did a runner out of boots and i chased after him still holding my basket full of baby stuff.... no one stopped me and the alarms werent on..(i did go back and pay!) ive also put stuff on top of the pram when he was little and forgotten about it !

jaysay 20-07-2008 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty (Post 609040)
It might be a non-story to you but what about the victim? Spare a thought for the victim. People don’t until they become a victim and then they want the criminal hung, drawn and quartered.

That computer lead could have been integral to the running of that computer and without it the victim was unable to use the computer. Not being able to use the computer the victim wasn’t able to go on-line and missed a major bargain on E-Bay.

The point is it isn’t just the value of the stolen article but the effects of the theft as well.

Beam me up Scotty, you still think that this storey is news worthy:confused: