Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   C.H.A.V... What does it mean? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/c-h-a-v-what-does-it-mean-41396.html)

cherokee 27-07-2008 21:12

C.H.A.V... What does it mean?

A report the other day revealed what chav actually meant and even the kids didnt know the meaning.
Apparently it means...." Council Housed And Violent " and the police have been using the term for many years. Now all of a sudden its come to light and the do gooders are trying to say that it shouldnt be used as its derogatory.

Admitedly i didnt know what it meant but for it to stop being used just because its meaning has come to light is ridiculous. http://www.blackpoolweb.com/forum/im...es/grrrrrr.gif

Its high time that folk stopped playing around with words in fear of offending and started to get back to saying what they mean.

IMO Its far more hypocritical to dance around words than to speak the truth, No wonder the youth of today are beginning to speak a language all of thier own..

Benipete 27-07-2008 21:42

Re: C.H.A.V... What does it mean?

Quote.
Admitedly i didnt know what it meant but for it to stop being used just because its meaning has come to light is ridiculous.

You lost me on that one.Do you mean you can call anyone what you want as long as they don't know what the hell you are saying.

cashman 27-07-2008 21:48

its certainly new on me, had no idea, but the do-gooders can go n get stuffed as far as cashy is concerned, i shall continue to use words i am familar with, n no doubt a certain member on here will continue to report me, n they can get stuffed as well.:D

Mancie 27-07-2008 21:53

The word "chavs" has been used long ago.."chavies" was used by cockneys to say children...years ago.. but not used now days.

Lilly 27-07-2008 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 611762)
Quote.
Admitedly i didnt know what it meant but for it to stop being used just because its meaning has come to light is ridiculous.

You lost me on that one.Do you mean you can call anyone what you want as long as they don't know what the hell you are saying.

I was thinking that too.

Why would you call someone a name if you didn't even know what the name meant? :confused:

I don't say chav myself, I say dobber.......and I shall continue to apply the word dobber to anyone I believe to be a dobber. :mosher:

cashman 27-07-2008 22:00

well said lilly, stuff em all.:)

lancsdave 27-07-2008 22:00

Maybe we should get posh and refer to them as Richard Craniums. The term CHAV is so out of date anyway. Most of them don't live in council houses :D

cashman 27-07-2008 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 611775)
Maybe we should get posh and refer to them as Richard Craniums. The term CHAV is so out of date anyway. Most of them don't live in council houses :D

agree it is out of date, but SCUMBAGS never dates dave.:D

Royboy39 27-07-2008 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 611766)
its certainly new on me, had no idea, but the do-gooders can go n get stuffed as far as cashy is concerned, i shall continue to use words i am familar with, n no doubt a certain member on here will continue to report me, n they can get stuffed as well.:D

Named or Anon?.....Get's right up your apple pips dun it?

cashman 27-07-2008 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 611778)
Named or Anon?.....Get's right up your apple pips dun it?

oh cashy knows roy, cashy knows.;)

cherokee 27-07-2008 22:16

Ok sorry I put that badly. No thats not what I mean at all.
What I should have said is that this meaning has apparently been used by the Police for quite some time, now all of a sudden because the meaning has come to light people are saying that it shouldnt be used anymore. why??
IMO if its been used by the police to catorgorise certain individuals all this time then why shouldnt they keep using it for the same purpose.

I

Benipete 27-07-2008 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 611770)
I was thinking that too.

Why would you call someone a name if you didn't even know what the name meant? :confused:

I don't say chav myself, I say dobber.......and I shall continue to apply the word dobber to anyone I believe to be a dobber. :mosher:

A dobber is an informer (a grass):dancedog:

onlyme 27-07-2008 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 611762)
Quote.

Think what Cherokee is trying to say that she didnt realise what the acronym stood for, rather than not knowing what the word meant

cherokee 27-07-2008 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 611775)

Fair point :D

Benipete 27-07-2008 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokee (Post 611783)

Ok sorry I put that badly. No thats not what I mean at all.
What I should have said is that this meaning has apparently been used by the Police for quite some time, now all of a sudden because the meaning has come to light people are saying that it shouldnt be used anymore. why??
IMO if its been used by the police to catorgorise certain individuals all this time then why shouldnt they keep using it for the same purpose.

I

Is it still alright to call the police The Filth as they do in parts of London:gooddog: