Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Blackburn tonight (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/blackburn-tonight-41412.html)

Gayle 28-07-2008 21:14

Blackburn tonight

Is anyone else watching the programme on Channel 5 that is giving this area a bad name?

MargaretR 28-07-2008 21:16

Re: Blackburn tonight

I have just started a thread about it too - gripping isn't it?

PS beat you to it by 3 minutes :D

Lilly 28-07-2008 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 612082)
Is anyone else watching the programme on Channel 5 that is giving this area a bad name?

Watching it now, Gayle.........from between my fingers with my hands over my face.

Hideous, isn't it. :(

Footage taken on Mad Friday (last Friday before Christmas)

Hope there's no Accywebbers on. ;)

Gayle 28-07-2008 21:23

It is awful. I used to go out drinking in Blackburn but never remember anything like this.

Then again, I was always the drunk that was curled up in a corner asleep. :D

shakermaker 28-07-2008 21:25

Quote:

I think it might have had a bad name before this programme!!

:hidewall:

BERNADETTE 28-07-2008 21:28

Recording it, sounds like it could be worth watching. Don't think it can be any worse than other towns I have seen featured. The fighting makes me cringe and a lot of the time the girls/women are worse than the boys/men:o

Royboy39 28-07-2008 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakermaker (Post 612088)
I think it might have had a bad name before this programme!!

:hidewall:

Don't need to hide behind a wall....Blackburn is the pit's.
I was born in Blackburn and cringe when I hear Straw on his soapbox.
The police can't get a grip because their hands are tied.
The central police station is no longer in the centre.
Bus drivers are assaulted, Taxi drivers are mugged and poor Johnny, according to his brief, didn't mean to do it honest,
Where do the priorities lie? Fixed penalties for smoking in a van or sorting out these would be hardmen and women who think they can get away with murder?
Going out at night to your popular haunt is no longer an option.
Where the hell are we going?

MargaretR 28-07-2008 22:01

For those who have missed it (and Royboy :D) you can see it here-
Demand Five | watch television on demand - Channel 5 TV

They announced that at the end - might be available tomorrow

Royboy39 28-07-2008 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 612096)

Thanks Margaret.

Bonnyboy 28-07-2008 22:16

Just watched it. Standard weekend stuff really ( I can’t be alone in thinking that ) seen in just about every town the length and breadth of the country. Guess that’s part of the problem that it’s seen as standard behaviour.

lancsdave 28-07-2008 22:17

I seemed to have missed an announcement by the government over the years, as the programme was called CCTV Cities and the commentator referred to Blackburn City centre :confused:

Royboy39 28-07-2008 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 612101)
I seemed to have missed an announcement by the government over the years, as the programme was called CCTV Cities and the commentator referred to Blackburn City centre :confused:

Hey come on Davie Baby..........Blackburn has got a Cathederal and should be a city:confused:

Bonnyboy 28-07-2008 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 612103)
Hey come on Davie Baby..........Blackburn has got a Cathederal and should be a city:confused:

That must have been the assumption by the programme makers, just the fact that it has a cathedral, therefore it’s a city.

Looks like they were wrong to assume.

Just looked up the criteria for being a city, wish I hadn't, it's too late at night for that - City Status

The list of cities is here if any one is interested - UK Cities

Royboy39 28-07-2008 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnyboy (Post 612107)
That must have been the assumption by the programme makers, just the fact that it has a cathedral, therefore it’s a city.

Looks like they were wrong to assume.

Just looked up the criteria for being a city, wish I hadn't, it's too late at night for that - City Status

The list of cities is here if any one is interested - UK Cities

Just testing.....the only Catherdral in Burnley is the Boot.

MargaretR 28-07-2008 22:37

Most cities are dumps for the dross of society.
Who in their right minds would live in any city centre.
Nowt wrong in being a 'hick from the sticks'

cashman 28-07-2008 22:39

Quote:

you seriously think it has a good name?:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

Wynonie Harris 29-07-2008 07:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnyboy (Post 612100)
Just watched it. Standard weekend stuff really ( I can’t be alone in thinking that ) seen in just about every town the length and breadth of the country. Guess that’s part of the problem that it’s seen as standard behaviour.

...but only in Britain. It's not standard behaviour in the city centres of Madrid, Paris, Rome or even New York. So what's gone wrong with this country?

MikeSz 29-07-2008 07:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 612096)

I assume the program is that one called CCTV Cities? Il have a look tonight though I doubt I'll be surprised.

Bonnyboy 29-07-2008 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 612157)
...but only in Britain. It's not standard behaviour in the city centres of Madrid, Paris, Rome or even New York. So what's gone wrong with this country?

That’s the big question and how do we turn the situation around ?

I don’t see any “quick fixes” either. It’s been pretty much as the programme depicted for years, it’s become habitual and part of a way of life for many.

MargaretR 29-07-2008 09:11

Only when the last pub shuts will the problem end
The alkies will then be giving their neighbours aggro instead
At least it disperses the problem so we all get a bit :rolleyes:

jaysay 29-07-2008 09:15

Quote:

Tough on crime tough on the causes of crime:eek:

cashman 29-07-2008 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 612172)
The alkies will then be giving their neighbours aggro instead
At least it disperses the problem so we all get a bit :rolleyes:

nowt to do with pubs,they are just n outlet fer yobs who have no values or morals thanks to the ******* who dictate how we should treat em when captured.:rolleyes:

Wynonie Harris 29-07-2008 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 612172)

So what about the rest of us who like to enjoy a few beers in a pub, while causing no harm to anybody? Are we meant to suffer because the government is too gutless to tackle the problem? And if pubs are the problem, then how come plenty of other countries have an abundance of licenced outlets without the disorder that is now standard in this country?

Whether I'm in Barcelona or Chicago, I always get the distinct impression that the police and the authorities would not tolerate the type of behaviour we have here for five minutes, human rights or no human rights!

Alan Gilmartin 29-07-2008 09:45

Why did they move the Police station, To the Boulavade,

MargaretR 29-07-2008 09:49

I used to enjoy the pub social scene too.

There have always been some people who overdrink, get aggressive on it, and spoil it for the rest. They now are more concentrated into the fewer pubs that are left, so that trouble is no longer occasional but inevitable.

Apart from the shoplifting druggies on that programme, all the people causing hassle were drunk.

The people who can't behave under the influence of alcohol should be given an injection which will cause any alcohol intake to make them violently sick.

I know that some will consider this as a breach of their civil liberties, but it will be cheaper than free board in an HMP holiday camp, where they will have NO liberty

cashman 29-07-2008 10:18

heres one that dont think its a breach margaret, more like a bloody good idea.;)

Bonnyboy 29-07-2008 10:23

Seems like a fine idea to me Margaret

Wynonie Harris 29-07-2008 10:23

The whole issue of drink-fuelled disorder is just part of the wider problem about how we pussyfoot around thugs, criminals and various other undesirables in this country.

However, I would agree that the big breweries have a lot to answer for. This whole problem started way back in the late 60's when the breweries realised that youngsters had a lot of disposable income which they were spending on clothes, records and in unlicensed outlets like coffee bars. They decided to cynically go for that market with the end result that we now have town centre bars which are basically teenage gin palaces. And they have fuelled the problem with their cheap drink offers aimed at inticing youngsters to drink far more than they can handle.

The government should initiate a twin approach - crack down on the drinks industry and crack down on the thugs. They won't though, because it's a valuable source of tax revenue and, as Jambutty said in another thread, the licensed trade has a strong lobby in parliament...and because the end effects of the problem don't actually affect them, away in their tax-payer funded ivory towers. :(

Tin Monkey 29-07-2008 10:32

But it isn't just in Britain is it? There was a programme on R4 the other day that was reporting an increase in this kind of behaviour in other European capitals. I can't remember the full list, but France and Germany were two countries that were expressing concerns.

jaysay 29-07-2008 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tin Monkey (Post 612214)
But it isn't just in Britain is it? There was a programme on R4 the other day that was reporting an increase in this kind of behaviour in other European capitals. I can't remember the full list, but France and Germany were two countries that were expressing concerns.

Ya TM but these countries know how to deal with it, and they don't have an army of bleeding heart brigade dogooders to placate, before they get started. How many times do we see news footage from places like France and Germany where they use the water cannon on these louts and scumbags, they don't hang around long if they're drenched from head to foot and it also tends to help in the sobering up process too

BERNADETTE 29-07-2008 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 612188)
Why did they move the Police station, To the Boulavade,

It isn't on the boulevard it is at Whitebirk.:)

Wynonie Harris 29-07-2008 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tin Monkey (Post 612214)

I've been in three foreign cities in the last couple of years and I haven't seen a sign of it. If you were in Madrid or Paris or Rome this coming weekend, I bet you would see nothing like the mayhem that is just standard procedure for most UK towns and cities. The only places on the continent you will see it are the Spanish resorts where tourists from this country go!

kathleen_firth 29-07-2008 12:22

i missed the programme last night but. my mum taped it fo me so ill be watching it tonight.

Gayle 29-07-2008 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 612228)
It isn't on the boulevard it is at Whitebirk.:)

No Bernadette, the Police Station in Blackburn is in the Train Station, just off the boulevard. Greenbank control centre is at Whitebirk - that's the local headquarters, where the admin staff are and where the CCTV are based.

BERNADETTE 29-07-2008 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 612283)
No Bernadette, the Police Station in Blackburn is in the Train Station, just off the boulevard. Greenbank control centre is at Whitebirk - that's the local headquarters, where the admin staff are and where the CCTV are based.

Well I never knew that, you learn something new everyday

steeljack 29-07-2008 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeSz (Post 612160)
I assume the program is that one called CCTV Cities? Il have a look tonight though I doubt I'll be surprised.

not available to folks outside of the UK

***Mr D*** 29-07-2008 17:48

Repeated on August 3rd, on fiver, SKY Channel 182 at 9pm.

Eric 29-07-2008 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 612353)
not available to folks outside of the UK

If we want to see violence, mayhem, bloody encounters, knock down, drag out blood letting, we have to watch hockey;)

MargaretR 29-07-2008 18:29

If any expats want to see it just to have a glimpse of their hometown - bear in mind that widescale demolition of Blackburn centre has been happening since the film was made

Eric 29-07-2008 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 612116)
Most cities are dumps for the dross of society.
Who in their right minds would live in any city centre.
Nowt wrong in being a 'hick from the sticks'

I'm in my right mind ... well almost .... and I live in downtown Kingston. No problem. And we have seven major prisons in the area:eek: Also we have a large military base, and a large university to fuel the party crowd. On weekends, if anyone gets out of hand, the KPD, tosses the culprits into a cruiser, and off to the drunk tank. There is always a strong police presence when the drunks are out in force ... and the coppers don't stay in their cruisers, they are out on the streets keeping an eye on things. I don't think the police here have things under control because they are armed and brutal, they just do their jobs, and they have the support of most of the community. If anyone gets out of hand, he is face down on the sidewalk, the cuffs are on, and it's off for a night in the slammer; and if there are charges other than drunkeness, they stay there until the bail hearing. Sure we have our civil rights laid out in our Charter of Rights and Freedoms .... but being a drunken asshole is not considered a "right".

jackyalex 29-07-2008 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 612086)
It is awful. I used to go out drinking in Blackburn but never remember anything like this.

Then again, I was always the drunk that was curled up in a corner asleep. :D

I used to be a regular round blackburn at the weekend, i cant remember it being like that either, but like you the end of the night was a bit of a blur :)

My question is, when did they start letting people dress like that in the pubs round town, a grown man in a white shell suit !!! what a plonker haha

MargaretR 29-07-2008 22:37

It seems that in Torquay they intend to make drunks mop up their P
Police plan to force drunks to clean up mess on streets with mops | Mail Online
I say LICK it up would be better :D

cashman 29-07-2008 22:49

well gotta say i like the "Downtown Kingston" way.

polly 29-07-2008 23:36

Quote:

What went 'wrong' was we lost our social control mechanism eg religion. the first 3 Cities you mention still the Catholic church leading their behaviour and this covers alcohol consumption, not just directly but also in the form of family values.

accyman 30-07-2008 00:53

just watched it and yup thats a typical weekend night in blackburn but its not usualy as busy

i like how they bigged blackburn up at the very begining by saying " theres no where to hide in this city "

blackburn isnt a city its a town but i guess that dosnt sound as good lol

well i think its a town but it certainly isnt a city thats for sure and no matter how hard they try to merge accrington with blackburn to make it a city we dont want to be part of that crap hole thankyou very much :rolleyes:

Benipete 30-07-2008 00:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by polly (Post 612564)
What went 'wrong' was we lost our social control mechanism eg religion. the first 3 Cities you mention still the Catholic church leading their behaviour and this covers alcohol consumption, not just directly but also in the form of family values.

You missed out Mars bars and Kit Kats:jimbo:

steeljack 30-07-2008 01:02

Quote:

Sorry Polly, but I dont think your logic works, seem to remember that Dublin is also Catholic city . ;) ;)

jaysay 30-07-2008 10:30

Quote:

I don't think you can blame the demise of society on religion polly, Its the general lake of any sort of respect being shown for authority which is to blame. How many times do we hear the Dogooders say that we shoud respect children, in my day children earned respect, and I didn't have to be kicked sencless with my parents to attain this, it was just a natural progress throuhout my youth

Tin Monkey 30-07-2008 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 612239)
I've been in three foreign cities in the last couple of years and I haven't seen a sign of it. If you were in Madrid or Paris or Rome this coming weekend, I bet you would see nothing like the mayhem that is just standard procedure for most UK towns and cities. The only places on the continent you will see it are the Spanish resorts where tourists from this country go!

I'm only reciting what was reported via Radio 4, who in turn were reporting on concerns coming from European cities.

To be honest, I could equally say that in the last year I've spent a number of weekends in British cities (including London) and not seen anything like the kind of behaviour focussed on in these types of TV programmes.

I'm not denying that there are issues, but I don't think they are purely British nowadays and I don't believe that every other country is some kind of Utopia.

Eric 30-07-2008 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tin Monkey (Post 612678)
I'm only reciting what was reported via Radio 4, who in turn were reporting on concerns coming from European cities.

To be honest, I could equally say that in the last year I've spent a number of weekends in British cities (including London) and not seen anything like the kind of behaviour focussed on in these types of TV programmes.

I'm not denying that there are issues, but I don't think they are purely British nowadays and I don't believe that every other country is some kind of Utopia.

Good point ... and I think that the key word is "focus" ... there is no such thing as complete factual reporting .... the cameras are pointed in a particular, and fairly exclusive direction ... and the whole thing is edited to make a particular point.

polly 30-07-2008 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 612593)
Sorry Polly, but I dont think your logic works, seem to remember that Dublin is also Catholic city . ;) ;)

As anyone who has visited Dublin in the last 5 years knows the city is no longer a Catholic heaven but a mish mash of cultures and relgions.
In fact it is very difficult to find an Irish person in Dublin centre

polly 30-07-2008 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 612644)
I don't think you can blame the demise of society on religion polly, Its the general lake of any sort of respect being shown for authority which is to blame. How many times do we hear the Dogooders say that we shoud respect children, in my day children earned respect, and I didn't have to be kicked sencless with my parents to attain this, it was just a natural progress throuhout my youth

No I don think the demise of society lies whole with the demise of religion, it is with the demise of religious values and the type of religion is almost irrelevant.

It is the lose of any type of social control, be that through socal workers or who or whatever

Wynonie Harris 30-07-2008 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tin Monkey (Post 612678)

Maybe not a utopia, but it's great to able to go out for a few late night drinks and a meal with your partner in a foreign city and not be confronted by mobs of half-witted drunken oafs who are looking to abuse innocent bystanders both verbally and physically. I've been out in Chicago, Rome and Turin in the last couple of years and not seen a hint of trouble. I've also been out in Manchester, Liverpool and London and seen the sort of mayhem that is now characteristic of nightlife in this country.

Gayle 30-07-2008 20:01

I think one of the factors is that the majority of the foreign cities that you mention have an evening culture of going out to eat with friends.

I think we've got a culture in the UK where going out to get drunk is the be all and end all of the evening out.

I'm not saying that there aren't drunks around but people sitting down and eating are more sociable than going out just to get drunk.

Tin Monkey 30-07-2008 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 612828)
I've also been out in Manchester, Liverpool and London and seen the sort of mayhem that is now characteristic of nightlife in this country.

Maybe you're going to the wrong kind of places Wynonie? Or maybe you're the catalyst and it's all your fault? ;) :D

Eric 30-07-2008 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 612834)
I think one of the factors is that the majority of the foreign cities that you mention have an evening culture of going out to eat with friends.

I think we've got a culture in the UK where going out to get drunk is the be all and end all of the evening out.

I'm not saying that there aren't drunks around but people sitting down and eating are more sociable than going out just to get drunk.

I don't think this is the case .... everywhere there are those who want to go out for a meal and a few brewskies, but there are also those who want to get liquored up ... Kingstonians party like crazy on Saturday night, it's just that the coppers keep a lid on the wilder elements, and are not afraid of busting their asses to the slammer. And there are the beat cops, who get right in there with the crowds, chat to them, let them know they are around and watching ... and if things get out of hand, a bunch of young patrol officers, strong sturdy lads, show up and sort things out. I think it is all a question of policing.