Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Taxi drivers - credentials. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/taxi-drivers-credentials-43101.html)

derekgas 07-10-2008 07:14

Re: Taxi drivers - credentials.

It probably would Neil, British Gas used to own Corgi, and was privatised in 1980 probably because they obviously couldnt be self regulating, but in my opinion, they still pull the strings, hopefully Capita will stop that, they also say thier first port of call will be to the rogues and illegal gas workers! Time will tell! Napit made a bid too apparently, at the end of the day, of it wasnt a money spinner, none would be interested.

SPUGGIE J 07-10-2008 07:58

All this cost to get accreditation could make it hard for the small indie operater to be in business. The down side could be an increase in the rouges and the mess, dangerous repairs they have done and the extra costs fixing it. I am in favour of certification to prove they are compitent on the job but could they not bring in one that covers all the requirements without the large costs involed to get them.

jaysay 07-10-2008 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J (Post 638874)
All this cost to get accreditation could make it hard for the small indie operater to be in business. The down side could be an increase in the rouges and the mess, dangerous repairs they have done and the extra costs fixing it. I am in favour of certification to prove they are compitent on the job but could they not bring in one that covers all the requirements without the large costs involed to get them.

The cost is the whole idea Spuggie, the governmnt ha to get all this money back, that they have paid out proping up Northern Rock and B & B, or am I just being cynical:rolleyes:

WillowTheWhisp 07-10-2008 09:39

I'm not sure what these taxi driver tests entail but I agree with Mick that it would help a bit if they knew the area. It used to be that if you didn't know where somewhere was you could ask a taxi driver and they would know. Now they always seem to ask where the location is (not much good if you are a visitor and have never been here before) and they ask "How much do you usually pay?" instead of telling you how much it is. Again useless if you do not 'usually' do that journey.

A couple of years ago we took a taxi to a friend's house in Ossy, gave the driver the address and in spite of us telling him he was going the wrong way he insisted he wasn't and took us on a scenic tour of most of Ossy before finally admitting he couldn't find it!

MrsAleks 07-10-2008 11:09

We got in a taxi last weekend and the driver who is based in Accrington didn't know where the Bee's Knee's Pub was!!!!!!

My ex hubby is a driver for a local firm (when he is awake). They might be a bit more expensive but at least they know where to take you. And the cars are in good condition!!!!

mothernature 07-10-2008 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 638904)
I'm not sure what these taxi driver tests entail but I agree with Mick that it would help a bit if they knew the area. It used to be that if you didn't know where somewhere was you could ask a taxi driver and they would know. Now they always seem to ask where the location is (not much good if you are a visitor and have never been here before) and they ask "How much do you usually pay?" instead of telling you how much it is. Again useless if you do not 'usually' do that journey.

A couple of years ago we took a taxi to a friend's house in Ossy, gave the driver the address and in spite of us telling him he was going the wrong way he insisted he wasn't and took us on a scenic tour of most of Ossy before finally admitting he couldn't find it!

Most taxi drivers now have those Sat Nav things to find their way around. I don't know if they work off postcodes or street names, but I would say they are next to useless if the driver can't spell correctly.

As for the drivers asking how much do you usually pay, it's a ploy to get more money from you. All prices have to be listed in the car along with the price per mile. I always check the mileage when getting in a taxi and pay for the mileage used not what they think they can get away.

SPUGGIE J 07-10-2008 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by mothernature (Post 638945)
Most taxi drivers now have those Sat Nav things to find their way around. I don't know if they work off postcodes or street names, but I would say they are next to useless if the driver can't spell correctly.

As for the drivers asking how much do you usually pay, it's a ploy to get more money from you. All prices have to be listed in the car along with the price per mile. I always check the mileage when getting in a taxi and pay for the mileage used not what they think they can get away.

Were I stay they need to pass a test for the local area before they get a licence though they do use sat nav when going further afield. To the point about cost if they are not metered which unlike my local ones are I use the tariff I am familiar with based on the mileage done.

Neil 07-10-2008 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekgas (Post 638848)
they also say thier first port of call will be to the rogues and illegal gas workers

So I wont be able to hoover out my Baxi back boiler any more :rolleyes:

Tealeaf 07-10-2008 14:53

Will these b-pec exams for cab drivers be conducted in English or Urdu?

derekgas 07-10-2008 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 638968)
So I wont be able to hoover out my Baxi back boiler any more :rolleyes:

Dont tell your home insurers about that, they will cancel the policy pmsl, people hoovering appliances is not a good idea, and stems from idiots who are supposed to be servicing, doing little else but hoovering it, is a good sign they know little about the actual mechanics of it, a bbu should take a good hour to service.. that doesnt mean hoover it for an hour Neil ok? :D

derekgas 07-10-2008 14:59

Taxi drivers in Bury (Hackney) own the plates, the last one I saw sold was 30k, what happens if they fail these supposed tests?

Benipete 07-10-2008 19:26

I used to pay what was on the clock,now It's all cash in hand with no checks on the fares.and no clocks.
I pay what I think is right and if they are not happy I tell them to send me a bill.

cashman 07-10-2008 19:29

when i ring up to book,i always ask How Much? saves any crap later.;)

steeljack 07-10-2008 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 638616)
. We should have stuck 2 fingers up at Europe in the 70's and stuck with red, yellow, blue and black neutral for 3 phase and red, black for single phase. Every phase was instantly identifiable.

Ok rant over....for now :mad:

It was Red , Black and Green when I lived in the UK , Did they change it ? :eek: ;)

cashman 07-10-2008 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 639120)
It was Red , Black and Green when I lived in the UK , Did they change it ? :eek: ;)

Nah not the Taxi Drivers.:D