Accrington Web

Accrington Web (http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Fireworks! (http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/fireworks-43138.html)

MUMMIBOO 08-10-2008 13:36

Fireworks!
 
Yep one of those threads again! November the 5th seems to come round earlier and earlier every year, the kids (teens) round here were thinking it was hilarious to mess with fireworks, first they threw one into the house accross the roads garden, when they got no reaction, they blew the letter box off when when a couple of lads came out then thought it was funny they actually posted a lit firework through the letter box i saw it blow up in the hall of the house :eek:. this house recently became vacant and now druggies frequent there so nobody was bothered as its not actually anyones home but a council house, i cant go and say anything coz mine is a private house and i want to keep my car and windows, and wouldnt want a firework display inside!

Shops shouldnt sell firework they should be kept for displays.:mad:

jaysay 08-10-2008 16:25

Re: Fireworks!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MUMMIBOO (Post 639366)
Yep one of those threads again! November the 5th seems to come round earlier and earlier every year, the kids (teens) round here were thinking it was hilarious to mess with fireworks, first they threw one into the house accross the roads garden, when they got no reaction, they blew the letter box off when when a couple of lads came out then thought it was funny they actually posted a lit firework through the letter box i saw it blow up in the hall of the house :eek:. this house recently became vacant and now druggies frequent there so nobody was bothered as its not actually anyones home but a council house, i cant go and say anything coz mine is a private house and i want to keep my car and windows, and wouldnt want a firework display inside!

Shops shouldnt sell firework they should be kept for displays.:mad:

You know that and I know that, but the powers that be don't seem to get it:mad:

Eric 08-10-2008 16:37

Re: Fireworks!
 
I used to enjoy bonfire night .... looked forward to it for weeks ... sitting on the street corners collecting pennies for the guy, saving the pennies and buying fireworks .... don't tell me that the fun is gone out of another tradition.:(

Less 08-10-2008 16:51

Re: Fireworks!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 639442)
I used to enjoy bonfire night .... looked forward to it for weeks ... sitting on the street corners collecting pennies for the guy, saving the pennies and buying fireworks .... don't tell me that the fun is gone out of another tradition.:(

I'm afraid it has, no longer are the kids content to go through an empty farmers field blowing cow pats apart with bangers, these days it isn't fun unless damage to something or someone can be caused, which is a shame because yet again the well behaved get lumped as a whole with the idiots and instead of it being enjoyable for all it ends up ruined by a few.
http://planetsmilies.net/sad-smiley-8134.gif

mothernature 08-10-2008 18:07

Re: Fireworks!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 639442)
I used to enjoy bonfire night .... looked forward to it for weeks ... sitting on the street corners collecting pennies for the guy, saving the pennies and buying fireworks .... don't tell me that the fun is gone out of another tradition.:(


I can't remember the last time kids made a guy. Probably when I was rearing my young back in the 80's. Nowadays the kids probably think the guy is someone to be bashed on head and thrown on bonfire.

Eric 08-10-2008 18:07

Re: Fireworks!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 639448)
I'm afraid it has, no longer are the kids content to go through an empty farmers field blowing cow pats apart with bangers, these days it isn't fun unless damage to something or someone can be caused, which is a shame because yet again the well behaved get lumped as a whole with the idiots and instead of it being enjoyable for all it ends up ruined by a few.
http://planetsmilies.net/sad-smiley-8134.gif

Know what you mean ... there is always a minority of jerks who seem to get their kicks from spoiling everyone elses' fun.

Morecambe Ex Pat 08-10-2008 18:16

Re: Fireworks!
 
I have a stick of dynamite and I am going to explode it in the street.
Am I a terrorist?

What is the difference between that and fireworks?

Ban them from general sale now!

Make bonfire night an enjoyable occasion.

Eric 08-10-2008 19:01

Re: Fireworks!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 639479)
I have a stick of dynamite and I am going to explode it in the street.
Am I a terrorist?

What is the difference between that and fireworks?

Ban them from general sale now!

Make bonfire night an enjoyable occasion.

Point is: bonfire night used to be an enjoyable occasion. We had our bonfire on a dirt road leading off Rishton Rd to the allotments owned by my gradad, Tommy Pilkington, Tom Noble and Basil Brierly. All the neighbours turned out and everyone, young and old, had a great time.

Eric 08-10-2008 19:56

Re: Fireworks!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mothernature (Post 639471)
I can't remember the last time kids made a guy. Probably when I was rearing my young back in the 80's. Nowadays the kids probably think the guy is someone to be bashed on head and thrown on bonfire.

No guy! I remember unofficial contests for the best guy ... so there is no more "penny for the guy"?:( I remember that the best guy I ever made was dressed in my grandad's demob suit. Ah well, guess nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

jaysay 09-10-2008 09:22

Re: Fireworks!
 
To me there is nothing better than an organised fireworks display properly run by responcabe people, the fact that kids can run round the streets with what is in all intents and purposes bombs is crazy When I was young it was penny bangers, 2 penny cannons, but today they cost the earth, and the noise they make is deafening.:(

Benipete 09-10-2008 09:53

Re: Fireworks!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 639591)
To me there is nothing better than an organised fireworks display properly run by responcabe people, the fact that kids can run round the streets with what is in all intents and purposes bombs is crazy When I was young it was penny bangers, 2 penny cannons, but today they cost the earth, and the noise they make is deafening.:(

About 6yrs ago someone blew my front and vestibule doors off with a firework causing 1000's of damage to my house and hundred's more to other houses on the St.:confused::confused:

Tealeaf 09-10-2008 10:00

Re: Fireworks!
 
A similar thread pops up around this time every year. I can't remember, however, if I previously posted the story of me and the lads and the cat with the bangers tied to it's tail, then stuffed in a guy which was in turn placed on top of the bonfire. It produced fasinating pyrotechnics with sound. Maybe Mick or one of the other moderators could guide you to the full, unabridged version of the tale. If not, then maybe I didn't post it on here.

jaysay 09-10-2008 10:20

Re: Fireworks!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 639599)
About 6yrs ago someone blew my front and vestibule doors off with a firework causing 1000's of damage to my house and hundred's more to other houses on the St.:confused::confused:

It doesn't seem right to me Beni that kids can get hold of fireworks that can do so much damage, in fact its bloody stupid, there not fieworks they're bombs:mad:

WillowTheWhisp 09-10-2008 11:52

Re: Fireworks!
 
Private sale of fireworks should be banned. Too many people get injured and too much damage gets caused.

ANNE 09-10-2008 14:38

Re: Fireworks!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 639479)
I have a stick of dynamite and I am going to explode it in the street.
Am I a terrorist?

What is the difference between that and fireworks?

Ban them from general sale now!

Make bonfire night an enjoyable occasion.

Well said. Karma sent.
Nasty, horrible, DANGEROUS things.


All times are GMT. The time now is 22:32.


2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com

Page generated in 0.11648 seconds with 8 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1