Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Shafted Again By Government (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/shafted-again-by-government-4334.html)

Tealeaf 25-05-2004 10:06

Shafted Again By Government

Some of you may be aware that while our glorious council is busy spending our money on it's 30th Anniversery bash or pandering to their own profanity by wasting even more of our money on doing up the site outside the Globe centre, it's big brother in Whitehall has decided we are'nt getting enough of this nonsense.

Have a look at this:

http://www.boundarycommittee.org.uk/...10320__E__.pdf

It now appears that the old Lancashire County will finally be terminated, having endured death by a thousand cuts in the last 30 years, while we the lucky people of Hyndburn will be become a sublimal part of that beacon of excellence, Blackburn with Darwen.

So there we have it, folks. In this wonderful new democracy , the emptying of our wheelie bins will be undertaken from Darwen, our cats rescued from trees by the North West Assembley Fire Brigade, our taxes imposed by skirt-wearing scotsmen in a "British Parliament" and our laws made by a rag-tag mob of mafiosa, corrupt ex-welsh politicians, incompetent eurocrats and any other riff-raff rounded up from the dog-dirt plastered streets of Brussels.

I think I'll emigrate; Iraq sounds like a nice place to be.

Bazf 25-05-2004 13:59

Re: Shafted Again By Government

Look on the happy side its not part of Greater Manchester yet!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Acrylic-bob 25-05-2004 15:54

I'm with you Tealeaf.
This has Prescott's grubby fingermarks all over it. It kinda looks like the proposed Northwest Assembly is now more or less an established fact, whether we vote for it or not.
So much for Democracy. I, for one, intend to deface my postal ballot paper for this summer's elections in protest, on the grounds that I would not trust any of the candidates to sit the right way round on a lavatory, and I would urge other electors to do the same. Run a council? They couldn't run a bath! And if any of them deign to condescend to turn up on my doorstep, which would be a novel departure from the norm in this neck of the woods, I shall tell them so to their faces.

Tealeaf 25-05-2004 16:06

Don't waste time defacing the ballot paper,Bob, because remember you've got to stick it in the post and the way things are at the moment there's no chance it will get delivered where it's supposed to be delivered.

It's got Prescotts paws all over it because Straw has been up his you-know-what to rig things up for his mates in Blackburn. As for the regional assembley bit, we all know where that comes from - that slimey windbag kinnock - get rid of the Nation-State and have a "Europe of the Regions".....the plans been knocking around in Brussels for years now, and finally thanks to that clown Prescott it's going to come to fruition.

Well, you know what Europe can do with it's Euro, it's "parlament", it's Commissioners and all the other bag & baggage of a crypto-Napoleonic Facist State...........

ShortStuff 25-05-2004 20:09

I'm still fairly new to all this voting nonsense (feel sorry for the sixteen year olds who may have to vote). I still don't understand the difference between right and left, conservative, labour or liberal. All I know is no matter what they promise every party will fall back on it's word - I have looked through all the political leaflets that have been posted through my door and I agree with some of the points on all of them - but I don't trust any of them to stand by those points. It's no wonder younger generations don't bother - there's just too much crap to wade through. The government should have to pay a penalty to the people if they go against a policy - afterall - if a shop sold a product under false protences - they could get sued. A GOVERNMENT SHOULD DO WHAT IT SAYS ON THE BOX!

Ceejache 25-05-2004 20:23

The whole debacle surrounding the naming of the new council offices and that disgrace of a waterfountain outside it amazes me. Who cares - just repair the many holes in the roads, collect our bins on time and stop the outbreak of plague, do something to crack down on the wave of anti-social and threatening behaviour, attract some kind of business in to the town centre apart from the wave of pound stores, do something about the patchwork quilted tarmac on Broadway etc etc..these are the real issues amongst others. I'm sure that I speak for many when I say that I view the 30th anniversary celebrations with total apathy - what exactly have we got to celebrate?! I am proud to be from Hyndburn/Accrington yet the faults are painfully obvious for all to see. I fear that if we are governed from Blackburn and Darwen then we will receive second-class attention similar to that which Rishton and Clayton receive now from the existing council

Acrylic-bob 26-05-2004 06:03

I agree wholeheartedly.
The council appear to be far more concerned with apeing what goes on in Downing street than in attending to the problems that electors mandated them for. I mean, what is all this 'Cabinet' nonsense in aid of? And now the labour group are describing themselves as holders of shadow portfolios. Strikes me that a reality check is long overdue at the Town Hall. Mind you, the elected halfwits are enough of a liability, but it is the unelected ones in the Globe Centre that are the real danger. Mornin' Mr Rix!

Tealeaf 26-05-2004 07:47

Trouble is, Bob, the Council is a bit behind the times. We used to have - as part of the unwritten constitution of this country - the concepts of "collective cabinet responsibility". "individual ministerial responsibility" and the Prime Minister was merely the "First Among Equals".

Alas, this all began to change with Thatcher and now with Blair. He take decisions and determins major policy whether the cabinet likes it or not; their role is simply to fill in the bits and provide the mouthpiece. Other than in name, our system of government is now a Presidential one - more so probably than even in the US, where at least Congress is independant of the Executive.

So come on Hyndburn Council. Move with the times. Get yourself a President before it's to late - someone who can go naked into the conference chamber and seriously kick some Blackburn-with-Darwen ****....come on, now - who's it going to be?

hells bells - the censor's got out of bed early this morning....

JohnW 26-05-2004 11:04

Tealeaf,

You sound like just the person to me to enter the conference chamber naked and kick some Blackburn with Darwen backside. President Tealeaf - has a nice ring to it don't you think?

:whack: :spank: :hitting8:

Acrylic-bob 26-05-2004 14:27

President Tealeaf would get my vote everytime.

Tealeaf 26-05-2004 14:30

I'd give it a go, John, but I probably end up assassinated on the first day.

I nominate Bob

Mik Dickinson 26-05-2004 14:33

Well Tealeaf, Bavaria is a nice place.Been here For 22 years in September

Tealeaf 26-05-2004 14:37

I'll have to visit the BeerKeller in Munich...look for some hints on how to organise a Putsh.....

JohnW 26-05-2004 14:46

Tealeaf, if you're going to emigrate I can highly recommend the U.S. of A., especially here in Florida where the sun shines throughout the year. The American people are very friendly and generous, (one of the few countries left in the world whose people have a genuine liking for we English) and the standard of living is second to none.

Tealeaf 26-05-2004 14:50

I used to have a good mate in Florida..in St Petersburg. names Bert Watson. Do you know him by any chance? He worked for the Florida Orange Juice Commission.

JohnW 26-05-2004 14:53

Bluddy 'ell Tealeaf, that's nearly as bad as the Americans asking if we know their mate John Smith who lives in Leeds. Florida is quite a big place y'know. In fact, it's approximately the same size as England, Scotland and Wales. Difference is, lots of sunshine and only about one fifth of the population squeezed in.

Tealeaf 26-05-2004 15:05

Sorry John....only kidding! I know it's a big place, although Bert does exist. However, there are coincidences.....years ago, I met up with a girl who'd just returned from Australia after 2 years..we walked into a pub in London she'd never been in, and the barman turned round to serve us. He'd been her next door neighbour but one in Aus! The following week, we walked into a pub in Hampstead Heath and as I ordered a pint a guy on the next bar stool tapped me on the elbow..it was one of the locals from the Thorn in Church.

You're right about the English not being to popular at the moment, but in terms of the stakes it's a toss-up between the US and ourselves, and I think we all know the reason why. Personally, I will be more than happy to see the back of these Tea-Towel wearing, Chappati-chucking sand rats. We've given them everything they wanted & what do we get in return? Grief.

JohnW 26-05-2004 15:19

I agree about the popularity poll, neither country would win one, but do we really care? We seem to like each other so what the hell. I think we should probably pull out of Iraq, you're right, just grief. The silly thing is, they hate us, but, if not for western technology ie.the internal combustion engine, that part of the world would have nothing. They just happen to be sat on large underground lakes of the stuff that makes the cars go. There's plenty of oil throughout other parts of the world anyway, I'll be glad when we stop buying from 'em. I hear a lot of anti-American/British stuff on other sites, all saying we're only there for the oil. I just wish someone would explain that to me. We don't seem to be stealing it from them and the war is costing us a fortune so what's the big advantage for us being there? Maybe I'm a little slow.

:confused:

Tealeaf 26-05-2004 15:36

The problem, John, is that the world has come to rely on the Americans, the British & the Australians to sort out it's problems...and the problem with that is that we're damed when we do and we're damed when we don't. I can think of half a dozen places that need sorting out right now...starting with Southern Rhodesia. Mugabe needs topping, and fast. Will it be done? I doubt it. That place was the bread basket of Africa until 5 years ago; now the place is in ruins and relying on hand-outs - blaming the UK and the US, of course.

Meanwhile - Spain - our "partner" in the EU - has unilaterally imposed a shipping ban on any cruise ship that has docked at Gib. They're up to Franco's old tricks and putting the pressure back on. Personally, I think we should retaliate by blowing every dodgy Spanish trawler sky-high out of the North Sea. I can't see them doing out myself; after all, after one incident in Madrid they changed government, threw in the towel and handed Bin Laden his biggest victory in Europe.

JohnW 26-05-2004 15:42

Yep, they're a bit like the French aren't they? Actually, I don't know why Britain is in Europe in the first place, in partnership with all the countries in Europe that hate the Brits. I think you'd all be better off if you joined NAFTA and let Europe try to get along without you.

Tealeaf 26-05-2004 15:49

I agree entirely, John.....get the hell out of the EU now is my motto. I think the UK Independance Party is going to get a good vote come the elections in June...assuming of course, that the ballot papers turn in the post.
Unfortunatly, not everyone agrees with what we're saying.....I've just noticed I've had a Karma point deducted....obviously from some EU loving supporter on here....

COME ON...SHOW YOURSELF..WHO'S THE CULPRIT?

Never mind; here's a bit of Karma for yourself flying across the ocean!

janet 26-05-2004 15:53

Tealeaf i've given you and john a karma point because i agree with you both.

Tealeaf 26-05-2004 15:57

Cheers Janet...I've just tried to give you some but I'd to do some spreading around before I can...I'm sure John will give you some.

Back to Accy tomorrow! Yipee!

JohnW 26-05-2004 15:58

Thank you Janet, what a sweetie!

JohnW 26-05-2004 16:00

How does one give out Karma Points? What is the "money" accumulation all about?

JohnW 26-05-2004 16:01

So where are you at the moment Tealeaf?

Tealeaf 26-05-2004 16:12

If you go to Janet's last posting, above, and go to the top right hand side of the box, you'll see Karma.....just click on it and it comes up good or bad Kalma.....if you click good, she'll get 2 points - but you can't keep repeating on the same person.

I'm on 32 and you're on 14 (up from 10 an hour ago)

Tealeaf 26-05-2004 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnW
So where are you at the moment Tealeaf?

Sorry, John..I missed this earlier....I'm in London at the moment..but I'll be back in Church tomorrow for a long weekend..and as you may have seen, the "cyber" becomes real when we meet up at the Stag on sunday. There are some previous pictures on here of our last drinks party there.

The money you mentioned is currently used to spend on pets...you'll see some people have them on the right hand side of the posting box...you need to go to the profile to create one.

lettie 26-05-2004 16:58

I can't remember how many posts you need to have had, before you can give or deduct karma, so you may not have enough John. However, if you carry on shooting the breeze with Tealeaf here, you'll soon have enough to be able to spread some karma around.. :)

Mik Dickinson 26-05-2004 17:05

Tealeaf mate the beer keller is called Hofbrauhaus.the women are called frauleins nad after the last Putsch i do not think the Germans would like it unless you had a 2" wide moustache under your nose

JohnW 26-05-2004 18:02

Unfortunately, I am only in England for one Sunday, and we have a night booked at an hotel in the Lake District and won't be back until Monday night when we have a dinner booked with family. Otherwise, I'd come and join your "Stag" night. However, I'll no doubt be over the pond again sometime.

So, I presume you are working in London and not getting back to Accy as often as you would like eh?

:mellow8:

slater_scott 03-06-2004 10:12

Why does everyone who lives near blackburn hate them. I`m sure a lot of people here use the facilities blackburn has to offer i know i do. Since oswaldtwistle has no facilities, if blackburn with darwen joined i would hope ossy would finally get some money for facilities, and i`m sure accrington would benefit a lot too, look at all the new buildings and investment going into blackburn now: soccerdome, b&q, college buildings, new part of the shopping centre etc. What is going on in accrington? Look at the new shopping units in broadway, Some of them are boarded up and have not got new tenants. I know what council i would rather have governing my area.

Acrylic-bob 03-06-2004 15:07

All good points! Seems that the more you compare and contrast, the more glaring HBC's failings become. One then has to ask what are the differences between the two Authorities (HBC & Blackburn with Darwen). Why is it that Blackburn seems able to attract investment and is not afraid to spend money on adventurous improvement schemes, while HBC merely wrings it's hands and tries to shift the responsiblity onto central government and seems to be reliant on faceless funding bodies for the money to make improvements? Not that they appear to have a great deal of success.

slater_scott 03-06-2004 15:11

Its because blackburn with darwen has the ambition to become a city and hynburn has the chance to be part of that, blackburn tries to improve. And when darwen people say they dont get investment they are having a new health centre and leisure facilities. And with hyndburn currently cutting down on costs and services surley its time for a change for the better. Thats what i think anyways.

Acrylic-bob 03-06-2004 15:26

It would be interesting and no doubt instructive to hear what The people of Blackburn with Darwen have to say on the matter.

Tealeaf 03-06-2004 15:43

I don't know where you get your "adventourous improvement schemes" from...Blackburn Town Centre is a far bigger mess than Accy; The shopping centre, even with it's recent upgrade, looks cheap & tawdry. as regards the new Darwin Health Centre, that is a PFI LIFT scheme & has sod all to do with those plonkers in Blackburn Town Hall.

If you want to live in a "City" such as Blackburn then I suggest you move out there; personally, I think the place is the pits; We might have a shortage of tennis courts in Hyndburn (a puffters game anyway), but we do have 4 Lancashire League cricket teams in Hyndburn, unlike Blackburns solitary 1.

slater_scott 03-06-2004 15:49

If tennis is a pufters game then so is cricket.

And i think you are lieing to yourself about the state of accrington town centre compared to blackburn.

lettie 03-06-2004 15:59

Quite frankly, the new buildings going up in the Queens Park area of Blackburn, big JJB etc are a bloody eyesore. I have to endure driving past them at least 3 days a week. I used to enjoy having a walk round the lovely reservoir in the summer, but the whole place is now in ruins. The view from our windows at Queens Park was spectacular when you were on nights in the summer. The sun reflects on the reservoir as it is rising, beautiful sight. Now you look out and see yet another 'built in 6 months' housing estate (while good solid housing is empty and left to rot), roadworks galore, the building of the big new retail park, and don't get me started on the building work at QPH at the moment, but at least we need a decent hospital. The rest of these buildings are totally unnecessary.

slater_scott 03-06-2004 16:05

JJB soccerdomes are very popular and provide great leisure facilities, isnt this what the government want. It will also have a fitness centre with it. Hospitals are needed. But it may look an eyesore now but when it is finished it may look superb and the soccerdome will have people from all over the region visiting to play in the football leagues it organises, i for one cant wait for these to be built. It also create a lot of new jobs which is good for the region.

Acrylic-bob 03-06-2004 16:19

I have to admit it is a while since I have been to Blackburn and so am on shaky ground here, but I think that the Church Street Improvements and the Boulevard and the Station do look a lot better than anything that HBC has come up with. Blackburn does tend to give the impression that they are going somewhere. We may not agree with the direction but at least they are not travelling in ever decreasing circles like HBC.

Tealeaf 03-06-2004 16:27

Look - do you really believe that if we go in with Blackburn, Accrington Town Centre will suddenley become alive and smart? You're in cloud cuckoo land if you believe that....A town centre is exactly that, the centre of the town....and should Accy get sucked into Blackburn, there is no way that the Town Centre will be Accrington. The only thing that will happen will be a further decline as more shops get boarded up, turned into Kebab houses or Sari Centres.

I remember 30 years ago when Church had a thriving town centre with 2 banks and numerous shops....then we got sucked into "Hyndburn"...we don't have a town centre anymore...

Acrylic-bob 03-06-2004 19:30

Whoa there Tealeaf. I am not defending this ludicrous proposal. Far from it, I think it is probably the worst thing that could possibly happen. But the fact of the matter is that it will happen whatever the people of Accrington, Hyndburn or Blackburn with Darwen think. It has already been decided! So much for democracy and hoping to effect change through the ballot box. The substance of my comments was to the effect that B with D seems to have their heads screwed on a little better than HBC, at least when it comes to town planning and securing funding to improve the built environment. I should like to know why. Surely our councilors are no better or no worse than those in Blackburn? Why is it that HBC lurches from cock-up to cock-up. Why is it that whatever they do they can never get it right the first time. Why are we afflicted with people who are more content arguing national politics rather than tackling the job they were elected to do?

mez 17-06-2004 14:58

just been talking to an employee of the h.b.c. & he told me that they have sold off the land in willows lane, both sides not just one, so were are they going to operate from now & were will all the machinery & spares dept go ? wot will the council think of next?

Tealeaf 17-06-2004 15:31

They'll probably go to Whitebirk or Huncoat (makes sense to the Council)

Acrylic-bob 17-06-2004 16:36

Knowing HBC, as we do all too well, they will probably end up next to the Market Hall on the bus station site which is why they are pushing for that to be moved over to the viaduct.

Anyway, I was on Church Street this afternoon and noticed a big square hole has been dug in the flowerbeds behind St James' Church. Anyone know what that is all about??

Tealeaf 18-06-2004 07:53

It's to take all the muck from the hole round the corner

Darby 18-06-2004 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Knowing HBC, as we do all too well, they will probably end up next to the Market Hall on the bus station site which is why they are pushing for that to be moved over to the viaduct.

Anyway, I was on Church Street this afternoon and noticed a big square hole has been dug in the flowerbeds behind St James' Church. Anyone know what that is all about??

Probably a "Land-Fill" site. :idunno: