Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Unidentified bleep (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/unidentified-bleep-44163.html)

MargaretR 27-11-2008 12:31

Unidentified bleep

I have a bleep (again)
It has persisted for several weeks and has been heard by visitors -so its not me going off my rocker.
I have been trying to track it down by switching things off at the wall socket in turn.
Last time I had a bleep it was my smoke alarm, so that was the 1st place I tested - wasn't that.

My problem is confused by the fact that the volume and direction it comes from appears to vary,
and for the past 2 days the note sometimes changes from a single bleep, to a more melodic double bleep.
So I may have two bleeps.

I have ruled out the following electrical items-
smoke alarm, TV, 2 PCs and their accessories, livebox, radio headphones, radio telephone, sky box, alarm clock radio,
radio door bell. I have also tested (by unplugging) all appliances.
The only untested item is my fridge/freezer - I don't want to risk spoiling food,
If you ever had a bleeping fridge/freezer please advise.
It is too loud to be coming from close neighbours (and it happens when they are out)

In sheer desparation I have googled 'unidentified bleep' and found this press report
The Northern Echo - The strange case of the solitary bleep

Any suggestions of a likely source will be welcome

Retlaw 27-11-2008 15:09

Re: Unidentified bleep

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 655284)
I have a bleep (again)
It has persisted for several weeks and has been heard by visitors -so its not me going off my rocker.
I have been trying to track it down by switching things off at the wall socket in turn.
Last time I had a bleep it was my smoke alarm, so that was the 1st place I tested - wasn't that.

My problem is confused by the fact that the volume and direction it comes from appears to vary,
and for the past 2 days the note sometimes changes from a single bleep, to a more melodic double bleep.
So I may have two bleeps.

I have ruled out the following electrical items-
smoke alarm, TV, 2 PCs and their accessories, livebox, radio headphones, radio telephone, sky box, alarm clock radio,
radio door bell. I have also tested (by unplugging) all appliances.
The only untested item is my fridge/freezer - I don't want to risk spoiling food,
If you ever had a bleeping fridge/freezer please advise.
It is too loud to be coming from close neighbours (and it happens when they are out)

In sheer desparation I have googled 'unidentified bleep' and found this press report
The Northern Echo - The strange case of the solitary bleep

Any suggestions of a likely source will be welcome

Margaret.
The only thing I can suggest is to locate by triangulation, make a rough sketch of the layout of your flat, when the beep sounds put a cross for where you are, and an arrow towards the sound. After 3 or 4 it should tie it down to a specific area. It won't be the fridge there's nowt in them to bleep.

Retlaw.

Benipete 27-11-2008 15:24

I keep getting an unidentified bleep and was convinced it came from Messenger.However there was never anyone there.may just be a slight fault with it.
Not an unknown thing with Windows.:confused::confused:

kelsilou 27-11-2008 16:32

Hi just to let you know my Mum had a fridge freezer that bleeped if the door had been slightly left ajar or the seal wasn't connected properly so they knew it wasn't as cold as it should be it bleeped to alert them so the food didn't spoil so it could possibly be the fridge freezer????

MargaretR 27-11-2008 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelsilou (Post 655324)
Hi just to let you know my Mum had a fridge freezer that bleeped if the door had been slightly left ajar or the seal wasn't connected properly so they knew it wasn't as cold as it should be it bleeped to alert them so the food didn't spoil so it could possibly be the fridge freezer????

That is very useful info, thanks - I will be fridge watching

Royboy39 27-11-2008 16:42

Could be a serious warning that Margaret..............Tighten your nicker lastic.

jambutty 27-11-2008 17:25

From time to time when my computer boots up there comes a ‘bleep’ from the tower. Then right out of the blue and maybe once a week or so and under normal usage the tower decides arbitrarily to regale my ears with a short ‘bleep’. It can’t be the speakers because they are turned off until I actually want to hear something.

All other items in my flat are bleepless except for a digital stopwatch. This produces a short bleep every half hour in spite of the easy to follow instructions for controlling the bleep to either on or off.

Your bleep is probably coming from a quantum wormhole and someone from ‘over there’ is trying to communicate with you.

K.S.H 27-11-2008 17:43

I could hear a bleep once when i was in bed, drove me nuts for about half an hour, turned out it was a neighbours smoke alarm. :-(
Posted via Mobile Device

MargaretR 27-11-2008 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty (Post 655360)
From time to time when my computer boots up there comes a ‘bleep’ from the tower. Then right out of the blue and maybe once a week or so and under normal usage the tower decides arbitrarily to regale my ears with a short ‘bleep’. It can’t be the speakers because they are turned off until I actually want to hear something.

All other items in my flat are bleepless except for a digital stopwatch. This produces a short bleep every half hour in spite of the easy to follow instructions for controlling the bleep to either on or off.

Your bleep is probably coming from a quantum wormhole and someone from ‘over there’ is trying to communicate with you.

It happens when both of my pcs are switched off at the wall socket.

I may well be having a message from 'the other side'
You may recall my Phantom bellringer thread.
I removed one of the bells. People have to knock now.
I now have a phantom door knocker - and it isn't naughty boys playing nick nack - that door is on the landing of a stairwell and it sometimes happens when the outer door to the stairwell is locked.
Feeling a bit 'spooked':surprise:

PS that knocking stopped when the bleep started - wonder what 'they' will try next:eek:

accyman 27-11-2008 22:00

mobile phones emit a small beep when the battery is getting low and more frequent as teh battery gets lower in charge

other items that require charging can do this as well like cordless phones ,laptops etc

MargaretR 27-11-2008 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 655481)
mobile phones emit a small beep when the battery is getting low and more frequent as teh battery gets lower in charge

other items that require charging can do this as well like cordless phones ,laptops etc

I have had my mobile switched off for weeks cos I rarely go out.
My landline radio phone is on its charger all day and at my bedside at night.
Thanks for responding anyway

emamum 27-11-2008 22:11

at least he didnt suggest it could be your hearing aid battery lol

MargaretR 27-11-2008 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum (Post 655490)
at least he didnt suggest it could be your hearing aid battery lol

LOL - how did you know?
I dont wear that unless I go out either
Perhaps if I put it in I would hear the bleep better:D

accyman 27-11-2008 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 655493)
LOL - how did you know?
I dont wear that unless I go out either
Perhaps if I put it in I would hear the bleep better:D

does it sound like this ?

http://www.talkingwav.com/various/beep_06.wav

many other beep sounds here incase you want to start collecting them seen as it appears your stuck with your beep lol

http://www.talkingwav.com/various_wav_sounds.html

MargaretR 27-11-2008 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 655503)

It is a bit lowered pitched than that.
When it is a double bleep it is more like a car key fob
(which I dont have - and there are no parked cars nearby other than mine)

PS just seen that extra link you have added - I will listen to them later after TV is off