Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Abu Qatada to be deported (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/abu-qatada-to-be-deported-45674.html)

jaysay 18-02-2009 10:10

Abu Qatada to be deported

The Law Lords have ruled that Abu Qatada can't be deported to Jordan, his appeal to stay in the country was thrown out unanimously by 5 Law Lords:mosher:At last common sense has won a do

cashman 18-02-2009 10:18

Re: Abu Qatada to be deported

so where are they deporting him to? assuming he is going.

lancsdave 18-02-2009 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 681766)
The Law Lords have ruled that Abu Qatada can't be deported to Jordan, his appeal to stay in the country was thrown out unanimously by 5 Law Lords:mosher:At last common sense has won a do

Officially he can't stay here. No problem, leave the country and then come back through Calais :rolleyes:

jaysay 18-02-2009 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 681770)

Jordon cashy,

jaysay 18-02-2009 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 681772)
Officially he can't stay here. No problem, leave the country and then come back through Calais :rolleyes:

If I didn't know you dave I'd think you were cynical:rolleyes:

yerself 18-02-2009 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman

Radical Muslim cleric Abu Qatada to be deported to Jordan on terror charges - Telegraph

garinda 18-02-2009 11:32

I hope he's taking his five children with him?

It's outrageous that he's been allowed to remain here since 1993, at the expense of the British tax payer, since he entered the county on a fake U.A.E. passport.

garinda 18-02-2009 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 681800)
I hope he's taking his five children with him?

I think the answer to that is probably not.

'The fanatical preacher, who was 20 stone but slimmed down on prison food, was pictured on a shopping trip near the £800,000 home he shares with his wife and children.

Exact details of the location where the Qatada family are living on benefits of an estimated £50,000 a year are protected by court orders.'

Pictured: Smiling preacher of hate Abu Qatada enjoying an £800,000 home and a life of benefits | Mail Online

Wynonie Harris 18-02-2009 12:47

He's not gone yet. Don't forget, he's taking his case to the European Court of Human Rights, aided and abetted, of course, by the usual motley crew of human rights lawyers (all paid for by us). Do you think a judgement from them will come down on the side of common sense?

Bet you he's still here, drawing benefits, in five years time. :rolleyes:

cashman 18-02-2009 13:17

well perhaps if he wore a hood, we should "Hug" him?:rolleyes:

jambutty 18-02-2009 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 681766)

Don’t you mean CAN be deported?

Taggy 18-02-2009 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 681787)
Jordon cashy,

Hope Mr Andre does'nt mind sharing!!!:D

Best Regards - Taggy

Mancie 18-02-2009 14:09

most of the benifits he gets is to support his beard...the geezer could be hiding a vast arsenal of weapons in it! ;)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/...81_468x727.jpg

Eric 18-02-2009 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 681843)
most of the benifits he gets is to support his beard...the geezer could be hiding a vast arsenal of weapons in it! ;)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/...81_468x727.jpg

So that's where the WMDs went:eek:

jaysay 18-02-2009 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taggy (Post 681840)
Hope Mr Andre does'nt mind sharing!!!:D

Best Regards - Taggy

No I think that would really sort him out Taggy, any time with Mrs Andre and he'd be begging to go:D

Wynonie Harris 18-02-2009 18:23

Told you so!

His lawyer has already lodged an appeal with the European Court of Human Rights, which may take years to be decided.

He's going nowhere, despite the empty posturing of Jacqui Smith. :rolleyes:

jaysay 19-02-2009 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 681975)
Told you so!

His lawyer has already lodged an appeal with the European Court of Human Rights, which may take years to be decided.

He's going nowhere, despite the empty posturing of Jacqui Smith. :rolleyes:

Your not joking Wynonie, its just been announced on the BBC News that the European Court of Human Rights has awarded his guy £2500 for breach of his rights when he was detained under the Anti Terror laws, give me strength. The sooner we kick this Human Rights crap into touch the better

garinda 19-02-2009 11:07

Since we're in the E.E.C., and are supposed to have free border control between member states, and this man is wanted on terrorism charges in Belgium, Spain, France, Germany and Italy, why the hell can he not be extradited there, and let one of those countries pay for his, and his families keep?

There's surely got to be some advantage of being in Europe, after all we pay more than our fair share for the privilige.

The first party to stop this ludicrous pandering to the human rights lobby, whose sole aim is to take away the freely democratic rights of our citizens, then that party will be sweept into power by a massive majority.

Many, many moderate Britons are getting sick and tired of being seen as soft.

Wynonie Harris 19-02-2009 13:01

Think yourselves lucky. He actually claimed for £170,000 compo!

jaysay 19-02-2009 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 682386)
Since we're in the E.E.C., and are supposed to have free border control between member states, and this man is wanted on terrorism charges in Belgium, Spain, France, Germany and Italy, why the hell can he not be extradited there, and let one of those countries pay for his, and his families keep?

There's surely got to be some advantage of being in Europe, after all we pay more than our fair share for the privilige.

The first party to stop this ludicrous pandering to the human rights lobby, whose sole aim is to take away the freely democratic rights of our citizens, then that party will be sweept into power by a massive majority.

Many, many moderate Britons are getting sick and tired of being seen as soft.

Hell Rindi, I totally agree with you, that makes a refreshing change. Its been said before that the common market was a good thing, but this dogs breakfast we've got now is a joke, only wish we could be given a vote to get us out of the cesspit we now find ourselves in:(

jaysay 19-02-2009 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 682447)
Think yourselves lucky. He actually claimed for £170,000 compo!

Don't hold your breathe Wynonie, no doubt the slime ball will appeal the decision funded by legal aide of course :(

Wynonie Harris 12-11-2012 13:50

As predicted, he's going nowhere.

Abu Qatada wins appeal against deportation to Jordan - Telegraph

Despite the Home Office's fine words about an appeal, doubtless to be followed by more blustering from the weak, ineffectual Teresa May, what's the betting he's still here in five years' time? :rolleyes:

cashman 12-11-2012 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1027652)
As predicted, he's going nowhere.

Abu Qatada wins appeal against deportation to Jordan - Telegraph

Despite the Home Office's fine words about an appeal, doubtless to be followed by more blustering from the weak, ineffectual Teresa May, what's the betting he's still here in five years' time? :rolleyes:

Thats a knocking bet, but we all know fer fact 95% dont give a toss, so no good bothering.:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 12-11-2012 14:24

well...I must be in that 5% who DO give a toss and would like him (and his family) turfed out of the county he despises so much...that he might be tortured if he is sent back to Jordan is of no concern to me.

Wynonie Harris 12-11-2012 15:31

...and it gets better. He's going to be back on the streets tomorrow.

Abu Qatada back on streets after being given bail - Telegraph

This is due to a decision by the Special Immigration Appeals Court, but as the quote below shows we could've been shut of him if it wasn't for the ECHR.

The decision comes despite the fact the British courts have previously ruled that it is safe to return Qatada, who was once described at Osama bin Laden’s right hand man in Europe.

The case was only back at Siac because the European Court of Human Rights ruled earlier this year that he should not be deported because of the risk of torture evidence.

This is the same ECHR whose decisions were incorporated into British law by the last Labour government. Something which the present government have done nothing to rectify. No wonder Accyweb Lab/Con party members never want to talk about it! :rolleyes:

cashman 12-11-2012 16:01

Theres only one way to be rid of the E.U.............At the ballot box. its that simple.

Margaret Pilkington 12-11-2012 16:07

A ballot box is the answer, but someone has to give us tha chance to vote first.

I won't hold my breath waiting for the politicians to grow some gonads and offer us one.

Wynonie Harris 12-11-2012 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1027666)
Theres only one way to be rid of the E.U.............At the ballot box. its that simple.

Could not agree more, mate, but the ECHR's a different animal. Even if we left the EU, we'd still be in the ECHR. However, Blair and his mob made things worse by enshrining ECHR decisions in British law. I seem to recall Cameron making some noises about withdrawing from the ECHR and replacing it with some sort of British Court of Human Rights but of course it never happened. :rolleyes:

Wynonie Harris 12-11-2012 16:50

So....Qatada's back on the streets.

Someone who laid his life on the line for us is in the clink...

SAS war hero jailed after 'betrayal' - Telegraph

Go figure. :confused:

cashman 12-11-2012 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1027676)

Thats just about right fer our pathetic Military Leaders, on a day when another of our troops has been killed by a member of n army we are training.:mad:

Paz1976 12-11-2012 19:54

Can't believe they have let him stay over here, that's why Britain is in such a crisis!!!

Paz1976 12-11-2012 19:55

They will be letting Abu Hamsa cum back next, pathetic!!

churchfcrules 12-11-2012 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1027676)

disgrace!!!!

this from a country who cant crack down on 15 year olds roaming the streets with weapons!!!!!!

Eric 12-11-2012 20:39

I was confused for a while ... and then I realized that this islamic nutbar is not the scumbag with the hooks ...

Eric 12-11-2012 20:45

I noticed that a lot of these assholes term themselves "muslim clerics" ... so what goes on inside their mosques? I'll be willing to bet that "peace" doesn't feature high on their preaching menu.

Less 12-11-2012 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1027701)
I noticed that a lot of these assholes term themselves "muslim clerics" ... so what goes on inside their mosques? I'll be willing to bet that "peace" doesn't feature high on their preaching menu.

Let's be honest, 'Clerics' of any nature always preach a form of prejudice.

While I was a child I used to have to go to a C of E Church, the guy on the pulpit there couldn't stand his own congregation so what chance did say, Catholics or even none Christian people have with him?

It's the same the whole World over.
:(

cashman 12-11-2012 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1027702)

While I was a child I used to have to go to a C of E Church, the guy on the pulpit there couldn't stand his own congregation so what chance did say, Catholics or even none Christian people have with him?

Not quite mate, C of E n Roman Catholic whilst not perfect, didn't celebrate when the twin towers came down.:(

Less 12-11-2012 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1027704)
Not quite mate, C of E n Roman Catholic whilst not perfect, didn't celebrate when the twin towers came down.:(

Did you used to stand in a pulpit and tell me how evil I and the rest of the world was every Sunday when I was about 8?

cashman 12-11-2012 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1027708)
Did you used to stand in a pulpit and tell me how evil I and the rest of the world is every Sunday when I was about 8?

Nah that was in the Railway.:D on a Sat.

Wynonie Harris 12-11-2012 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1027702)

So did I (wonder if it was the same one? ;) ).

However, as far as I'm aware there are no vicars/priests/ministers at this moment in time who are regarded as a threat to national security.

accyman 12-11-2012 22:12

a new question mark has appeared yet again over Abu Hamsa's head today but luckily it was only because he was putting his arm up to ask if he could go to the toilet

Mancie 12-11-2012 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1027670)
Could not agree more, mate, but the ECHR's a different animal. Even if we left the EU, we'd still be in the ECHR. However, Blair and his mob made things worse by enshrining ECHR decisions in British law. I seem to recall Cameron making some noises about withdrawing from the ECHR and replacing it with some sort of British Court of Human Rights but of course it never happened. :rolleyes:

Umm hang on here lets get the facts right.. earlier the ECHR ruled that Qatada could be deported.. this latest ruling was not made by the European court of human rights but by a British judge in a British court of appeal.

Wynonie Harris 12-11-2012 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 1027715)
Umm hang on here lets get the facts right.. earlier the ECHR ruled that Qatada could be deported.. this latest ruling was not made by the European court of human rights but by a British judge in a British court of appeal.

In 2009 the Law Lords ruled that upholding the principle of a fair trial in another jurisdiction “does not require the UK to retain, to the detriment of national security, a terrorist suspect”. If we were not beholden to the ECHR we could have deported him there and then.

However, the ECHR ruled in January this year that he should not be deported because he risks standing trial on evidence that was obtained by torture. To meet the concerns of the ECHR, Theresa May, obtained assurances from Jordan that he would not face an unfair trial. Qatada was allowed to challenge those new assurances at the Special Immigration Appeals Commission (Siac), which has now ruled it is unsafe for him to return.

So as I say, Mancie, if we had nothing to do with the ECHR we could've deported him three years ago!

Mancie 13-11-2012 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1027718)

So as I say, Mancie, if we had nothing to do with the ECHR we could've deported him three years ago!

I have no doubt that if we had nothing to do with the ECHR this bloke would have been deported years ago.. but the facts are that todays ruling was made in a British court by a British judge.
From what I can make out on the news is that the ECHR in the end ruled that Qatada could legally be deported.. but this judge has rejected the deportation in a British court under British law.

Wynonie Harris 13-11-2012 00:30

The decision comes despite the fact the British courts have previously ruled that it is safe to return Qatada, who was once described at Osama bin Laden’s right hand man in Europe.

The case was only back at Siac because the European Court of Human Rights ruled earlier this year that he should not be deported because of the risk of torture evidence.

Today’s decision will fuel the row over European judges effectively dictating domestic law.

Seems clear enough to me. The ECHR have said he COULDN'T be deported and the SIAC ruling today simply confirmed that.

You sure you're not getting him mixed up with Hooky who the ECHR said COULD be deported. Easy to get confused with all these Abu's! ;)

Mancie 13-11-2012 00:43

This is taken from the BBC report..
'Earlier this year, judges at the European Court in Strasbourg ruled Abu-Qatada would not face ill-treatment if returned to Jordan, citing assurances outlined in a UK-Jordan agreement.'..
Seems clear to me that the Judge had the go ahead to deport the bloke but ruled against it citing his own doubts having one eye on the ECHR.

Wynonie Harris 13-11-2012 01:38

Now, now, Mancie, you're only telling half a story there, aren't you? The FULL story from the BBC is this

Judges at the European Court in Strasbourg ruled early in 2012 that the cleric would not face ill-treatment if returned to Jordan. They said a special UK-Jordan agreement over Mr Qatada's treatment, called a Memorandum of Understanding, was sound and met European standards of humane treatment.

Critically however, the judge did not believe he would get a fair trial because a Jordanian court could use evidence against Abu Qatada that had been obtained from the torture of others.

Or as the BBC helpfully explains...

The European Court of Human Rights, echoing the concerns of the UK's own Court of Appeal, said the preacher would be treated well if returned - but there was one big problem.

In their judgement they said that it doesn't matter what someone has done, modern nations that believe in the rule of law cannot send people back to regimes that torture - and then use that evidence against other suspects.

So, in fact, the ECHR ARE putting obstacles in the way of him being deported!

Margaret Pilkington 13-11-2012 06:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1027724)
Now, now, Mancie, you're only telling half a story there, aren't you? The FULL story from the BBC is this

With skills as honed as this Mancie could become a great politician.....don't you think?

Neil 13-11-2012 06:47

Quote:

Can we trust what the BBC say though?

Margaret Pilkington 13-11-2012 07:19

Sky news reports that Theresa May thinks that Justice Mitting(who was in charge of the proceedings) applied the 'wrong legal test' to this judgement....and stated that the government will continue to press for this mans removal.

BERNADETTE 13-11-2012 08:12

The Prime Minister has just said on the news that they are striving to get a deportation but like others who have commented I'm not expecting anything to happen anytime soon. Why do people who feel so much hatred for a country choose to stay in it? Oh yeah I know it's for the benefits we are stupid enough to pay out:mad:

cashman 13-11-2012 08:27

Thats probably the number 1 reason Bernie, Number 2 is cos of the Soft Arses that run England.:rolleyes:

cashman 13-11-2012 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1027740)
Thats probably the number 1 reason Bernie, Number 2 is cos of the Soft Arses that run England.:rolleyes:

Have just thought, would be no shock if we now apologised n back dated his benefits.:rolleyes:

Lucysgirl 13-11-2012 11:53

Did I misunderstand the government announcement that there would be a cap on legal fees any one person can claim? Or does the cap apply for each court case?

lancsdave 13-11-2012 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1027731)
Sky news reports that Theresa May thinks that Justice Mitting(who was in charge of the proceedings) applied the 'wrong legal test' to this judgement....and stated that the government will continue to press for this mans removal.

The judge, just like the MP's in government was probably out on Sunday pretending to thank those who had given their lives for our freedom, whilst themselves removing any freedom we have ever had. Hypocrites

Margaret Pilkington 13-11-2012 12:32

I'm sure they were...and probably wearing their poppy with pride on the run up to Rememberance Sunday.......they cannot see the hypocrisy.
It is all just lip service and weasel words.
Send this man back to Jordan, forthwith...let us waste no more time or money on him and his ilk.

Wynonie Harris 13-11-2012 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1027757)
I'm sure they were...and probably wearing their poppy with pride on the run up to Rememberance Sunday.......they cannot see the hypocrisy.
It is all just lip service and weasel words.
Send this man back to Jordan, forthwith...let us waste no more time or money on him and his ilk.

Agreed, Margaret. If this was happening in France or Italy, this vile creature would've been kicked out years ago and sod the ECHR ruling.

Have you noticed how the Accyweb Labour and Tory politicians have carefully avoided this thread? Their silence speaks volumes! :rolleyes:

accyman 13-11-2012 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1027729)
Can we trust what the BBC say though?

yes but not with your kids

gynn 13-11-2012 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1027755)
The judge, just like the MP's in government was probably out on Sunday pretending to thank those who had given their lives for our freedom, whilst themselves removing any freedom we have ever had. Hypocrites

They gave their lives so that he could sit in a courtroom and give ludicrous judgements without being taken out and shot.

He owes it to their memory not to abuse that freedom, yet he goes ahead and gives rulings that he knows most people will find offensive.

He should be hanging his head in shame.

cashman 13-11-2012 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 1027778)
They gave their lives so that he could sit in a courtroom and give ludicrous judgements without being taken out and shot.

He owes it to their memory not to abuse that freedom, yet he goes ahead and gives rulings that he knows most people will find offensive.

He should be hanging his head in shame.

Well said gynn.;)

Eric 13-11-2012 19:18

All is not lost, good people. Just read in the news that your PM is "fed up" with the whole issue ... now things will start moving:rolleyes:

churchfcrules 13-11-2012 19:30

just hang the F3cker!, apologise afterwards, could live with that!

oh and any "fine" we may receive would probably be cheaper than combined benefits, prosecution costs, defence costs, and presumably the cost of the armed guard that no doubt this creature will have posted to protect him from us nasty British people

Eric 13-11-2012 19:33

Hey ... just noticed that this guy is not a British citizen ... so, apart from the EU and other bs human rights group, there would be no problem with giving him the bum's rush. I did a little checking, and it seems the only quarantee that one cannot be deported from Canada is Canadian citizenship.

claytonx 13-11-2012 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1027807)
All is not lost, good people. Just read in the news that your PM is "fed up" with the whole issue ... now things will start moving:rolleyes:

Just words Eric, I think we have heard them before.

cashman 13-11-2012 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1027811)
Hey ... just noticed that this guy is not a British citizen ... so, apart from the EU and other bs human rights group, there would be no problem with giving him the bum's rush. I did a little checking, and it seems the only quarantee that one cannot be deported from Canada is Canadian citizenship.

Utter crap mate, Yeh can't even deport "Illegals" here if it infringes on their Human Rights.:mad:

Margaret Pilkington 13-11-2012 21:06

They don't even know who the illegals are - so pretty slim chance of deporting them

cashman 13-11-2012 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1027828)
They don't even know who the illegals are - so pretty slim chance of deporting them

Oh they know who some of em are. Like the guy that knocked down n killed that poor sod down Blackburn, Still here i believe.:mad:

Mancie 13-11-2012 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1027731)

Yes the government will make an appeal in a UK court, because, as I said this latest ruling was not made in Strasbourg..it was made in a UK court by UK judges.

Margaret Pilkington 13-11-2012 21:17

He is only one of many.
Due to our ineffective border controls, there are hundreds of thousands in this country who should not be here...and worse still, they may be offered an amnesty, basically because it seems like too much hard work to trace and deport them.

Mancie 13-11-2012 21:26

I seem to recall an amnesty for all illegals was in the Lib-Dem manifesto at the last election..now who could have such a stupid idea..hang on Mr Clegg is now the deputy Prime Minister :D

Wynonie Harris 13-11-2012 21:49

Quote:

Judges at the European Court in Strasbourg ruled early in 2012 that the cleric would not face ill-treatment if returned to Jordan. They said a special UK-Jordan agreement over Mr Qatada's treatment, called a Memorandum of Understanding, was sound and met European standards of humane treatment.

Critically however, the judge did not believe he would get a fair trial because a Jordanian court could use evidence against Abu Qatada that had been obtained from the torture of others.

...and yet again, Mancie, you're only telling us half the story. Yes, the ECHR think he will get fair treatment if he's sent to Jordan but THEY DO NOT BELIEVE HE WILL GET A FAIR TRIAL because they think they'll use evidence against him that's been obtained by torture.

Now, like the majority of the British public, I couldn't care less what happens to the scum once he's in Jordan; they can boil him in oil for all I care. He's an asylum seeker who's consistently abused our hospitality and he's deemed to be a serious security threat to this country. Why are you ducking and diving on this? Is it because you don't want to admit that your mates in the Labour party are just as gutless as the Tories and LibDems on this issue, as evidenced by their total silence on this thread?

Mancie 13-11-2012 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1027838)
...and yet again, Mancie, you're only telling us half the story. Yes, the ECHR think he will get fair treatment if he's sent to Jordan but THEY DO NOT BELIEVE HE WILL GET A FAIR TRIAL because they think they'll use evidence against that's been obtained by torture.

No mate.. it is the UK judge who did not believe he would get a fair trial..this latest ruling was made in an UK court under complete UK control.
I think the first BBC report was misleading by not stating that the judgement was made by an UK judge..and today there has been no mention of the ECHR by the government

Earlier this year, judges at the European Court in Strasbourg ruled the cleric would not face ill-treatment if returned to Jordan, citing assurances outlined in a UK-Jordan agreement.

But the judge ( should say the UK judge ..not the ECHR judge) did not believe he would get a fair trial because a Jordanian court could use evidence against Abu Qatada that had been obtained from the torture of others.

See what i'm saying ?:)

cashman 13-11-2012 22:06

As far as i'm aware Mancie is correct wi this.:)

Wynonie Harris 13-11-2012 22:42

Quote:

The European Court of Human Rights, echoing the concerns of the UK's own Court of Appeal, said the preacher would be treated well if returned - but there was one big problem.

In their judgement they said that it doesn't matter what someone has done, modern nations that believe in the rule of law cannot send people back to regimes that torture - and then use that evidence against other suspects.

Well, that's not the way I read it. Yes, a UK judge did say yesterday he couldn't be deported because torture-based evidence would be used against him, but the ECHR have already said the same thing. Listen, mate, I'm taking this info from the BBC and they don't get things wrong. It's more than the Director General's jobs worth! ;)

Anyway, m'lud, I refer to my original point that in 2009 the Law Lords ruled that upholding the principle of a fair trial in another jurisdiction “does not require the UK to retain, to the detriment of national security, a terrorist suspect”. If we were not beholden to the ECHR we could have deported him there and then. Furthermore, if the government does manage to get SIAC to change their mind, we'll still have to go back to the ECHR before we can deport him. If Blair hadn't enshrined their rulings in British law we wouldn't have all this hassle!

Eric 13-11-2012 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1027718)
In 2009 the Law Lords ruled that upholding the principle of a fair trial in another jurisdiction “does not require the UK to retain, to the detriment of national security, a terrorist suspect”. If we were not beholden to the ECHR we could have deported him there and then.

However, the ECHR ruled in January this year that he should not be deported because he risks standing trial on evidence that was obtained by torture. To meet the concerns of the ECHR, Theresa May, obtained assurances from Jordan that he would not face an unfair trial. Qatada was allowed to challenge those new assurances at the Special Immigration Appeals Commission (Siac), which has now ruled it is unsafe for him to return.

These "Law Lords" ... do they act as a supreme court? And what use are they if their rulings can be overruled or ignored, especially by an extra-territorial body? And why should Abu Qatada's case be of any concern to the ECHR? As far as I am aware, Jordan is not a memeber of the EU.:confused:

As a sort of related aside: I was watching the CBC news the other nite and they were covering a story detailing the growth of Golden Dawn support groups in the Canadian Greek community. So I checked out the Golden Dawn. A bunch of Greek nazis, right. I'm anti-fascist ... don't remember the war, but I was conceived while it was still going on.;) One would think a global dust up like that would have seen the end of jackboots, neat uniforms, and the bad stuff that went along with all that. But the Greeks, however nazi they become, are no threat to the rest of the world ... they're a joke really ... picturesque and all that (well, if you forget about the hairy women:eek:), but they don't start alarm bells ringing in the Pentagon. Anyhow, it seems to me (and remember, I'm looking in from the outside) that the greatest friend to the growth of Nationalism and right-wing extremist groups is the EU. And, of course, the democracies who seem bent on sacrificing their national identity as they rush headlong to show how liberal and all-embracing they are towards immgrants. Europe is a continent of nations ... and they don't really need immigrants like we do this side of the pond. We need immigrants over here. Over there, the immigrants need you. But I'm wandering ....

Mancie 13-11-2012 22:52

I reckon it must be Harold Wilsons fault.

Wynonie Harris 13-11-2012 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1027854)
and they don't really need immigrants like we do this side of the pond. We need immigrants over here. Over there, the immigrants need you. But I'm wandering ....

Funny you should say that, Eric. ;)

Immigration To Canada: Poles In U.K. Poached To Fill Labour Shortages, Reports Say

Wynonie Harris 13-11-2012 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 1027855)
I reckon it must be Harold Wilsons fault.

I reckon you're right! ;)

As a founding member of the Council of Europe, the UK acceded to the European Convention on Human Rights in March 1951. However it was not until Harold Wilson's government in the 1960s that British citizens were able to bring claims in the European Court of Human Rights

Mancie 13-11-2012 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1027856)

Funny you say that ...looks like this government who did say they would close the 'open door policy' are about to open the door wider :D

BBC News - UK will not extend Romania and Bulgaria migration curbs

Wynonie Harris 14-11-2012 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 1027859)
Funny you say that ...looks like this government who did say they would close the 'open door policy' are about to open the door wider :D

BBC News - UK will not extend Romania and Bulgaria migration curbs

Yet another reason to have a referendum on EU membership, so we have a chance to escape from this madness. Unfortunately, both parties are united in denying us our democratic right, so we're effectively knackered. :rolleyes:

Eric 14-11-2012 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1027856)

Don't try to be sending Abu Q over here disguised as a Pole, with a pickle in one hand and a beer in the other ... we have enough imams of our own with fartwas coming out of their ying yangs every other day; we don't need another.;):D

Wynonie Harris 14-11-2012 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1027866)
Don't try to be sending Abu Q over here disguised as a Pole, with a pickle in one hand and a beer in the other ... we have enough imams of our own with fartwas coming out of their ying yangs every other day; we don't need another.;):D

Couldn't interest you in a batch of Romanians or Bulgarians could I, squire? ;)

Eric 14-11-2012 01:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1027867)
Couldn't interest you in a batch of Romanians or Bulgarians could I, squire? ;)

Sure, mail a bunch to Resolute Bay, Nunavut ... don't forget the postal code: X0C 0C0. Hope they like whale meat:D

Margaret Pilkington 14-11-2012 06:27

They'll eat anything. Especially if it is wild and free and they don't have to pay for it.

Eric 14-11-2012 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1027873)
They'll eat anything. Especially if it is wild and free and they don't have to pay for it.

Lunch:

File:Grizzlybear55.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wynonie Harris 11-12-2012 17:07

We're paying for a new house for him! Doesn't that make you feel good? :rolleyes:

Abu Qatada moves to new house - Telegraph

cashman 11-12-2012 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1027740)

Rest my case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1027743)
Have just thought, would be no shock if we now apologised n back dated his benefits.:rolleyes:

Well we have given him a new house.:rolleyes:

Wynonie Harris 11-12-2012 18:01

Backdate his benefits? That's chickenfeed! He's going for the big one!

Abu Qatada plans to sue Government for £10m, his brother says - Telegraph

cashman 11-12-2012 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1031676)
Backdate his benefits? That's chickenfeed! He's going for the big one!

Abu Qatada plans to sue Government for £10m, his brother says - Telegraph

Yeh but that takes time, so the backdating will come in handy.:rolleyes:

Lucysgirl 11-12-2012 20:45

I hope we submit our invoice for keeping him safe.

As per BBC website 29 March 2011:

The average cost of keeping someone in prison is £47,000 a year Sources: HM Prison Service, National Audit Office and Ministry of Justice

Plus the costs of policing for several years to make sure he stayed safe,
which included closing one road so that he could hold prayers outside a mosque. If there's any money left over from his claim - we should invoice him for any benefits he's had.

jaysay 15-12-2012 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucysgirl (Post 1031713)
I hope we submit our invoice for keeping him safe.

As per BBC website 29 March 2011:

The average cost of keeping someone in prison is £47,000 a year Sources: HM Prison Service, National Audit Office and Ministry of Justice

Plus the costs of policing for several years to make sure he stayed safe,
which included closing one road so that he could hold prayers outside a mosque. If there's any money left over from his claim - we should invoice him for any benefits he's had.

Ya so think we should call it quits then Lucy, unless he's going to pay some back to the country he hates so much:mad:

Wynonie Harris 16-12-2012 15:16

Half a million quid for his legal bill paid for us by US.

Half a million legal aid bill for Qatada battle - Telegraph

...and STILL politicians from both sides sit on their hands. :rolleyes:

Gordon Booth 16-12-2012 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1032520)

Wynonie, I've got to remind you Bin Ladens right hand man has Human Rights.
OK, maybe they're better than your Human Rights or mine but we must set an example to the rest of the world, even if they laugh at us!
And don't worry about the cost, after all the only money we have is borrowed anyway. We get a good rate of interest and we'll never be able to afford to pay it back so what's the problem?

DaveinGermany 16-12-2012 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1032527)
so what's the problem?

The creature is still breathing. :mad:

jaysay 16-12-2012 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1032529)
The creature is still breathing. :mad:

Send him an SAS present delivered at a mile a second, that should do the trick, after all, he is in the states and we all know what gun nuts they have over there, sorted;)

Eric 16-12-2012 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1032520)

Nice of the yanks to pony up, eh;)

Margaret Pilkington 16-12-2012 18:26

Abu Hamza is in the US John...we still have the pleasure(!) of the company of Abu Qatada.........he is supposed to be bound for Jordan...someday

jaysay 17-12-2012 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1032555)
Abu Hamza is in the US John...we still have the pleasure(!) of the company of Abu Qatada.........he is supposed to be bound for Jordan...someday

Exactly, Margaret, but a missile to the head would be final, no more legal bills no nothing, although we could send a sympathy card if it helps:rolleyes:

cashman 23-04-2013 14:50

Seems this piece of crap has defeated another attempt today to deport him.:mad: I can also remember the other piece of crap our useless Teresa May, saying about 12-18 months ago, she would soon have him on a plane outa here.:mad: She is now blaming her incompetence on the E.U. Human Rights fer moving the goalposts.:rolleyes: Would that be the same E.U. all major parties want to remain in?:rolleyes:

entwisi 23-04-2013 14:58

surely our Liz has the right to say " off with his head" or " get that piece of trash out my country".

personally I'd just special forces him out to Jordan in secret and we deny all knowledge of what happened to him....