Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Parking on Blackburn road (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/parking-on-blackburn-road-46265.html)

Mick 19-03-2009 08:24

Parking on Blackburn road

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry to bring this subject back up but !!!
i was waiting at the bus stop near lonsdale st yesterday when this car mounted the pavement raced past me and parked on the pavement nearly hitting me as he passed :mad:
Then he stopped and had a chat is there something i am missing here should i walk on the road and leave the pavements for the cars :o
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/a...d-imgp0230.jpg

entwisi 19-03-2009 08:32

Re: Parking on Blackburn road

I asume you reported him to plod with a picture complete with reg number?

Even if they won't prosecute I reckon they would be having a few words for that.

claytonender 19-03-2009 08:33

Mick - I think you should send this picture to the police.

Mick 19-03-2009 08:34

i have reported it to hyndburn council

Neil 19-03-2009 08:38

I hope you have reported it Mick.

Blackburn Road is just a mess. They (HBC LCC???) could have transformed the Church end of Blackburn Road if they had used the land they emptied wisely. The road could have been widened with parking bays on both side and bus pull ins on the Health Centre side. Did they do it? No that would have meant someone with common sense and a wish to improve the area doing the planning.

Neil 19-03-2009 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 693839)
i have reported it to hyndburn council

They can't do anything, phone the Police.

claytonender 19-03-2009 09:07

Mick I have sent you a PM about this.

Neil 19-03-2009 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonender (Post 693844)
Mick I have sent you a PM about this.

Why is it a secret? :D:D

Mick 19-03-2009 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 693858)
Why is it a secret? :D:D

from you yes it is:D

Mick 19-03-2009 09:27

I have now informed the police too with unedited photo
I will let you know the response i get from them if or when they let me know

jaysay 19-03-2009 09:58

Sounds like another case for the wrist slapping head patting don't do it again long arm of the law, to take divisive action. I awaite the outcome with bated breathe:rolleyes:

lancsdave 19-03-2009 10:05

By the looks of the photo he hasn't had room to pull in after the bus shelter to park, does that mean he actually drove on the pavement past the bus shelter ?

Mick 19-03-2009 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 693878)
By the looks of the photo he hasn't had room to pull in after the bus shelter to park, does that mean he actually drove on the pavement past the bus shelter ?

yes thats what i ment to say sorry

accyman 19-03-2009 10:10

theyhad a clampdown on teh hyndburn road area a few years ago and despite ssuing plenty of tickets they actually GAVE UP

iv mentioned this before because at teh tie it was actually in teh paper how teh council gave up as they simply couldnt win

personaly i would send a fleet of tow truck and remove offenders cars and crush them if they refuse to abide by simple enough laws

K-P 19-03-2009 10:15

Blackburn road is a different world when it comes to parking... Go down any weekday night and you will count anyhting between 10-20 illegaly parked cars.. pavement parking, double parking, parking on corners etc.. but parking at bus stops.. double parking.. parking to chat with yer mates... holding up traffic while you get a pizza or a hair cut is wrong..

for some reason its a no go area for the police.. for some reason its allowed...

flashy 19-03-2009 10:24

hmmm wonder what that reason is

accyman 19-03-2009 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 693886)

The same reason why nothing is ever done about how visitors to mosques never get prosecuted for blocking roads and parking cars on peoples private property

but shhhhhhh any critisism even if the small matter of truth is involved will get you labeled a racist:rolleyes:

Neil 19-03-2009 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 693886)

And you said I dont say what I mean ( or words to the effect of ) :D:D:D

Neil 19-03-2009 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 693904)
The same reason why nothing is ever done about how visitors to mosques never get prosecuted for blocking roads and parking cars on peoples private property

but shhhhhhh any critisism even if the small matter of truth is involved will get you labeled a racist:rolleyes:

They are just as bad outside Churches though. With two within yards on Catlow HAll Street, Sunday morning is madness

Neil 19-03-2009 12:53

And come to think about it outside schools as well. I think many people are so lazy they want to park 6 inches from the school door.

jambutty 19-03-2009 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 694000)
And come to think about it outside schools as well. I think many people are so lazy they want to park 6 inches from the school door.

I can relate with that living right across the road from a school.

The disabled bay marked out on the road in front of my flat is for any disabled driver displaying the Blue Badge and seeing as I’m the only one within a hundred yards of it, it is generally me. There are also railings along the edge of the footpath with a gap to allow my neighbours and me access to our flats.

One regular parks across the gap in the railings and is so close to the edge of the disabled bay that it is difficult, even impossible some times, to get out and back in, if someone does the same at the other end of the bay.

But if other drivers park and leave me sufficient room to get out and in and I go out during the day and especially close to around noon and 3:00 pm, when I get back you can bet your sweet life that a car has squeezed in and encroaches on the disabled bay leaving me with no room to get back in even though the disabled bay is three quarters empty.

Have a look with Google Earth at these coordinates - 53° 42’ 12.83” N - 2° 27’ 32.11” W

You can see my car in the disabled bay and the railings, at around 11:00 am about two years ago. How do I know? Look at the shadows cast by the trees, they are pointing North West, meaning that the sun is in the South East. At midday the sun is due South so the shadows would be pointing North. My previous car was red and I got this one, a blue car, in April 2006 so the snap shot had to be taken after then. If that snapshot had been taken two hours later or at around 3:00 pm you would see two busses parked in front of the school and cars nose to tail for a hundred yards either way on both sides of the road with cars trying to get by in both directions.

Neil 19-03-2009 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty (Post 694042)
The disabled bay marked out on the road in front of my flat is for any disabled driver displaying the Blue Badge and seeing as I’m the only one within a hundred yards of it, it is generally me. There are also railings along the edge of the footpath with a gap to allow my neighbours and me access to our flats.

Does your bay have a restriction plate saying when and for how long you can park? Without this plate they are not enforceable as far as I know.

What happens when the disabled person who had the box put down outside their house moves? Do they remove the box? If they don't I would have thought they would de value the house they are outside.

jambutty 19-03-2009 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 694049)
Does your bay have a restriction plate saying when and for how long you can park? Without this plate they are not enforceable as far as I know.

What happens when the disabled person who had the box put down outside their house moves? Do they remove the box? If they don't I would have thought they would de value the house they are outside.

No it doesn’t and neither does anyone else’s. Or at least I haven’t seen any.

And you are right it is not enforceable. The disabled bays marked on the road are just a courtesy.

I doubt if they remove the box when the person who asked for it moves away. But why should it devalue a house?

Less 19-03-2009 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty (Post 694051)
No it doesn’t and neither does anyone else’s. Or at least I haven’t seen any.

And you are right it is not enforceable. The disabled bays marked on the road are just a courtesy.

I doubt if they remove the box when the person who asked for it moves away. But why should it devalue a house?

Well if it's your house no, but for a potential neighbour and all they would have to put up with....?

derekgas 19-03-2009 17:01

The council have added to the problems on Blackburn road, at the junction of oxford street, and with the junction of willows lane (little st i think), the times of the light changes have been lengthened, so you wait for ages for them to change now, which results in people taking the back street shortcut, and/or jumping the lights, when you get through the lights, theres are always obstruvtions, as detailed in previous posts.

jambutty 19-03-2009 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 694065)
Well if it's your house no, but for a potential neighbour and all they would have to put up with....?

What do you mean “all they would have to put up with”?

katex 19-03-2009 18:26

Mick, not sure whether will have much effect as you have not taken any photographs of the parking restriction here, however, have consulted, and may fall into one of these catergories :-

'Is that a pedestrian crossing? Usually, when there are markings on the road, the traffic regulation order runs from the centre line of the carriageway to the back of the footway. If he is on the pavement, parallel to the 'zig-zag' clearway markings present on either side of a pedestrian crossing, he is contravening the parking restriction. In the case of pedestrian crossings that is 3 points and £60 fine. It is a criminal offence to contravene this particular restriction rather than a civil one because it is intended to protect pedestrians at pedestrian crossings.

In addition he is blocking the footway. However, this is a tricky position -

It is not an offence in law to park a motor vehicle, other than an HGV, on a grass verge unless it causes an obstruction or a Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) or byelaw is in force prohibiting it.

Section 19 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 prohibits parking by HGV's. An HGV (or heavy commercial vehicle) means any goods vehicle, which has an operating weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes . A similar prohibition to apply to other motor vehicles was contemplated in the late 1980's but was repealed before it ever came into force.

In light of the above it is a criminal offence to park an HGV on a verge adjacent to a road irrespective of the presence or absence of waiting restrictions and this can be enforced by the police. In areas where a Special Parking Area (SPA) is in force, the offence is decriminalised and can be enforced by the traffic authority rather than the police.

Obstruction
Whilst there is no blanket prohibition on parking on verges, a particular incident of verge parking may be considered dangerous or obstructive or cause damage and may constitute a criminal offence under one or other of the following statutory provisions: -

Section 28 Town Police Clauses Act 1847 - wilfully causing an obstruction to any public footpath or public thoroughfare.
Regulation 103 Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 - vehicles causing unnecessary obstruction of the road (including verge).
Section 22 Road Traffic Act 1988 - leaving vehicles in a dangerous position on the road (including verge).
Section 137 Highways Act 1980 wilful obstruction of the free passage along a highway.
Section 72 Highways Act 1835 - driving on any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers.
Section 131(1)(c) Highways Act 1980 - deposits anything whatsoever on a highway so it would damage the highway
Allegations concerning any of the above possible offences would be a matter for the police to investigate and enforce, rather than the traffic authority.'

Goes on :-

'The best evidence for parking violation is:
1. Picture of vehicle parked illegally;
2. Picture of registration plate;
3. Picture of road markings; and
4. Picture of Traffic Regulation Order plate (usually on-street - yellow or white sign indicating what the restriction is).

The police might follow up - probably not though because it's a relatively minor offence. They could pass it onto the parking wardens who might do more patrols etc in this area... '

Best of luck anyway, we know more patrols 'aint gonna' happen ... :rolleyes:

jaysay 19-03-2009 19:46

Bloody hell kate, before we know it you'll be vying for the title of Queen of Goggle from MargaretR:eek::D

MargaretR 19-03-2009 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 694139)
Bloody hell kate, before we know it you'll be vying for the title of Queen of Goggle from MargaretR:eek::D

She has a better source than Google for such info - her son works in the realm of Transport Planning

nortype 19-03-2009 19:55

nice one mick. hope police respond it's time somebody did.

lancsdave 19-03-2009 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 694108)
They could pass it onto the parking wardens who might do more patrols etc in this area... '

As long as I have a hole in my a rse that won't happen :D

jaysay 20-03-2009 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 694152)
She has a better source than Google for such info - her son works in the realm of Transport Planning

Ha, I see Margaret, looks like you'll keep the crown after all:D

jaysay 20-03-2009 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 694186)
As long as I have a hole in my a rse that won't happen :D

Correct dave, but what annoys me is that if this happened in any other part of town, tickets would be in full flow, when all's said and don't the police know exactly whats going on, but choose not to do anything, they turn a blind I and do a Nelson "I See No Cars" :(

accyman 20-03-2009 12:23

im think at the bottom of willows lane they have removed the yellow no entry box unless your exit is clear just before the lights heading into accy

probably realised it was a waste of paint re-painting them lol

im pretty sur eits notthere anymore anyway but i may be wrong

emzy 20-03-2009 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 694478)
im think at the bottom of willows lane they have removed the yellow no entry box unless your exit is clear just before the lights heading into accy

Nope, your right, they haven't repainted it, many a time ive been sat behind the box and drivers from the side road have stopped in it waiting for the traffic to move, think it was a waste of paint anyway :rolleyes:

Mick 08-04-2009 06:06

1 Attachment(s)
Just an update
Not had a thing back over it
but its still going on as you can see:D
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/a...d-parking1.jpg

accyman 08-04-2009 10:13

after people not indicating my second biggest gripe is people who park too close to junctions . especialy in great big whopping vans

as i have said before UK traffic laws do not apply down blackburn road at all, i know other areas can be bad but that whole area takes it to the limit

driving along blackburn road is like enetering the wakey races,if you can get from church to accy center with both yuor wing mirors still intact you win:D

jaysay 08-04-2009 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 702066)
after people not indicating my second biggest gripe is people who park too close to junctions . especialy in great big whopping vans

as i have said before UK traffic laws do not apply down blackburn road at all, i know other areas can be bad but that whole area takes it to the limit

driving along blackburn road is like enetering the wakey races,if you can get from church to acy center with both yuor wing mirors still intact you win:D

The only time I've been given a parking ticket accyman was for parking to close to a road junction. It was in Carlisle back in 1974 and I'd parked up over night near our digs, the van was 13 feet from the junction. The thing is the ticket cost me just £2 in those days:D

Puffing Billy 08-04-2009 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 694478)

No good repainting it when the newly laid road surface is breaking up - Again. Who ever employed these people to do this resurfacing needs to get the money back and get a decent company to do it. Just shows that you get crap when you go for the cheapest.

mallard 08-04-2009 12:22

I hope you can get somthing done a bout it but i have seen this happen over the year,s when i was working on the road as a road sweeper and i think they will only do something when some one get,s hurt.

cashman 08-04-2009 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by mallard (Post 702109)
I hope you can get somthing done a bout it but i have seen this happen over the year,s when i was working on the road as a road sweeper and i think they will only do something when some one get,s hurt.

yer too optimistic mate, they won't do owt even then.:D;)

lancsdave 08-04-2009 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 702201)
yer too optimistic mate, they won't do owt even then.:D;)

Post 31 in this thread still stands :D

katex 08-04-2009 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 702205)

LOL Dave ..well, just keep bunging 'em in Mick (no reference to #31) might get one yet !!

jaysay 09-04-2009 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 702205)

You avatar says it all dave:rolleyes::D

churchman phil 10-04-2009 07:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 702013)
Just an update
Not had a thing back over it
but its still going on as you can see:D

Surely you didn't expect him to park in the area marked as the Bus stop Mick - he'd be impeding traffic flow and parking illegally then!! :D

There was a 4x4 parked near the bottom of Willows Lane about 4pm yesterday and it was so far onto the pavement you'd have had to edge past sideways!! Yet another who didn't want to impede the traffic!

Mick 11-04-2009 07:05

1 Attachment(s)
Still at it:rolleyes:

jaysay 11-04-2009 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 703252)

Its like crime watch Mick, you've blanked the reg numbe out:D

Taggy 11-04-2009 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 703298)
Its like crime watch Mick, you've blanked the reg numbe out:D

At least these photo's are up to date Jaysay, some of the reports on crimewatch lately originate that far back i'm waiting for an update on the Jack The Ripper enquiry!!!:D

Was someone parked on the zig zags where the crossing is at the Post Office the other day, they were using the cash machine there, just a ruddy free for all aint it!

Best Regards - Taggy

BERNADETTE 11-04-2009 10:53

Does this part of the highway code not stand on Blackburn Road? "218 DO NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement unless signs permit it."

jaysay 11-04-2009 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 703328)
Does this part of the highway code not stand on Blackburn Road? "218 DO NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement unless signs permit it."

Just depends which language its printed in Bernie:rolleyes:

accyman 11-04-2009 11:33

as stated many times by myself and was actually printed in the local paper , the council had a clamp down in the area but fines were simply ignored and nothing was acheived, why it was left to the council to sort out god only knows but i think traffic parking issues have been taken out of teh polices hands and given to councils to enforce via traffic wardens

the council according to the paper said that they actually gave up trying to enforce traffic law there :eek:

pcso's can now give parking tickets etc but whats the point when its a mine field trying to find out who the actuall owner is or who was driving the car or if the person resposible actually has a driving licence

rather than give up on an area they shoudl have got tougher and simply sent in towing trucks and sent the violators car to the crusher regardless of its age or condition because to get the message accross its going to take zero tolerance and affirimitave action until the learn that you have to follow the law regardless of what area you live in

if there ever becomes such a campaign i would gladly do the job for free and take great pleasure in taking cars to the crushing machine :D

when one area is seen to be getting away with murder people rightly or wrongly think well if its ok for them its ok for me and then the problem spreads

rant over for now , soap box back in its corner lol :)

katex 11-04-2009 18:43

These are definitely traffic offences Mick, although not criminal offences, (so police not really interested) and liable to a fine of £60. It is a bus clearway (easily seen by the heavier yellow line) and restriction runs from the middle of the road to the edge of the private space.
Not even unloading is allowed on here.

You would probably be better sending the pictures to :-

[email protected] .. the civil body who deal with parking offences ... not H.B.C.

Owts worth a try.

kiebrad 11-04-2009 19:52

Blackburn road is one of the most used roads throughout hyndburn and it is by far the worst road.People just seem to prk where an when ever they want.Iwas stood at my front door this am and watched a traffic warden book a number of cars yet i have never seen one on blackburn road.The stretch from the old grammer sch heading towards town is a nightmare there are cars alwys parked up on the pavements why is nothing ever done i must not be the only person who has noticed the problem.Accrington is crying out for people to shop and visit the town but would you bother when you cant even walk on the pavements and be safe.

wadey 11-04-2009 20:43

I have to say the council have done their very best to close down buisnesses with traffic calming and pointless yellow lines, this was a major traffic route at one time and now it's just chaos, I wouldn't mind but the whole area is surrounded by derelict land (O sorry that's for the travellers)

wadey 11-04-2009 20:47

1 Attachment(s)
Can anyone beat this?

emamum 11-04-2009 22:26

i can but not till the college is open after the holidays...

lancsdave 11-04-2009 22:36

It's not the first time on here that the traffic problems on Blackburn Rd have been brought up as being a very annoying feature of the town.

Amongst our members we have the Leader of the council and the leader of the opposition who may himelf become council leader one day. Are we to assume that because this problem has the word ROAD in it they pass the buck to LCC ? Would be good to hear their views on the problem, I suspect a lot of tumbleweed may pass by before we see any comment :rolleyes:

emamum 11-04-2009 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 703560)
It's not the first time on here that the traffic problems on Blackburn Rd have been brought up as being a very annoying feature of the town.

Amongst our members we have the Leader of the council and the leader of the opposition who may himelf become council leader one day. Are we to assume that because this problem has the word ROAD in it they pass the buck to LCC ? Would be good to hear their views on the problem, I suspect a lot of tumbleweed may pass by before we see any comment :rolleyes:

are they allowed to help?? they may use this road sometimes, woulnt that be seen as having an interest (or whatever it was called that got him into trouble) ?? :rolleyes:

jaysay 12-04-2009 09:16

You could have thought that the police would have an interest in this after all it is there forte isn't it, they ain't much good at catch crims but motorists!!!!!!!! Must be a bit like British Rail, you know the wrong snow kind of thing, this must be the wrong kind of motorists:rolleyes:

lindsay ormerod 12-04-2009 20:36

If you don't get any joy go further up the ladder and get our MP involved, Greg won't stand for that kind of malarkey.

K-P 12-04-2009 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod (Post 703780)
If you don't get any joy go further up the ladder and get our MP involved, Greg won't stand for that kind of malarkey.

Greg pope whos office is on blackburn rd.. or has he moved?

Neil 12-04-2009 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-P (Post 703787)
Greg pope whos office is on blackburn rd.. or has he moved?

He used to be at the Church end of Blackburn Road though. maybe he never goes into Accy centre because the traffic is so bad with all the abandoned, sorry parked, cars everywhere.

Now he is at 50 Abbey Street, Accrington BB5 1EE, so maybe he comes into town the other way :rolleyes::D

derekgas 12-04-2009 21:25

The pictures Mick took are nearer the church end than the accy centre end arnt they Neil? :D I am with the towtruck method here, just tow them away, and scrap them!

cashman 12-04-2009 21:40

yep its near the dentists at antley, i'm fer crushing em, pity no-one in authority has the balls.:rolleyes:

derekgas 12-04-2009 21:44

Do you have a tow truck cashy? And do you need a co - pilot? :D :D

jaysay 13-04-2009 09:07

What amuses me is that none of these offenders have ever been clamped, its not long ago that I heard about a bloke having his car clamped on spare ground next to his home, he was actually doing the car up and was going to tax and insure it when it was again road worthy, it wasn't on the highway but he still got fleeced:(

derekgas 13-04-2009 14:47

I think I have mentioned this before.. but so what! In Bury, there used to be traffic wardens up and down the road all day, every day, except on Saturday morning, when the nearby mosque was busy, the parking was chaotic and idiotic, and not a traffic warden, or policeman to be seen, and before anybody fews this as remotely racist, I had many parking tickets for loading/unloading into my own shop, that is the gripe!

jaysay 13-04-2009 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekgas (Post 703909)
I think I have mentioned this before.. but so what! In Bury, there used to be traffic wardens up and down the road all day, every day, except on Saturday morning, when the nearby mosque was busy, the parking was chaotic and idiotic, and not a traffic warden, or policeman to be seen, and before anybody fews this as remotely racist, I had many parking tickets for loading/unloading into my own shop, that is the gripe!

Its not being racists derek, its telling it like it is, you can't be labeled for telling the truth, but like always there are two sets of rules, and we are saddled with the set that gives tickets for parking:rolleyes:

churchman phil 13-04-2009 18:21

There is a car parked wholly on the pavement at the Dill Hall end of First Avenue. It looked like it was being repaired. I never noticed if the tax disc was current but would it be classed as not being on a highway if the disc was out of date??

Greg Pope 13-04-2009 21:47

I'm away at the moment and hadn't seen this thread until AndrewB emailed me (hat tip, as our friend Guido Fawkes says!).

As quite a few hard working councillors post on here (as well as The Great Leader now - should he be known as TGL henceforth?) I dare say that this may get sorted. I'll add my bit with the Council next week.

cashman 13-04-2009 23:14

good on yer Greg, this is summat thats been ignored fer years, apart from a very short "Purge" a while ago. one day i fear there will be a nasty accident, soley through traffic violations on Blackburn Rd.:(

accyman 13-04-2009 23:21

to be fair on teh council teh police need to work with teh council on this because i myself have witness traffic cops turn a blind eye to very serious parking offences along blackburn road such as abondoning their cars at red trafficlights so they can nip into teh shop to talk to their pals causing traffic jams or even parking side by side blocking teh road while they have a natter or going down 1 way streets teh wrong way because its quicker

i bet you my last pound as soon as a clampdown occurs it will be in teh papers that teh council and police only targeted the area because its a highly asian populated area and not because the area is teh worst in hyndburn for traffic offences

Mick 14-04-2009 05:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Pope (Post 704061)
I'm away at the moment and hadn't seen this thread until AndrewB emailed me (hat tip, as our friend Guido Fawkes says!).

As quite a few hard working councillors post on here (as well as The Great Leader now - should he be known as TGL henceforth?) I dare say that this may get sorted. I'll add my bit with the Council next week.

Thank You i just hope something is done before someone (me) gets run over on the pavement while waiting for a bus.

Neil 14-04-2009 08:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 704104)
Thank You i just hope something is done before someone (me) gets run over on the pavement while waiting for a bus.

Don't worry mate, with all that anaesthetic inside you it won't hurt :D:D:D

wadey 14-04-2009 10:07

It seems to me that if you stand in the area of the old college and watch the cars go by certain members of the car driving population are exempt from the laws relating to seat belts, ringing friends when driving, blue lights displayed on a non emergency vehicle etc etc

jaysay 14-04-2009 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadey (Post 704138)
It seems to me that if you stand in the area of the old college and watch the cars go by certain members of the car driving population are exempt from the laws relating to seat belts, ringing friends when driving, blue lights displayed on a non emergency vehicle etc etc

You don't just have to stand there wadey, anywhere will do mate, same applies

Neil 14-04-2009 10:28

Quote:

blue lights displayed on a non emergency vehicle etc etc

That is a pet hate of mine as well.

accyman 14-04-2009 10:37

i think if i recall correctly your allowed blue lights but it depends where they are fitted and how

it would be a lot simpler to ban any car except emergency vehicles from having blue lights , even a doctor on call has a green flashing light and not blue light so why a piza delivery car or a clapped out bmw needs blue lights i have no idea but bare in mind a lot of boy racers make these kind of modifications when they attempt to make their 1.2 corsa look like somthing out of need 4 speed or teh fast and teh furious lol

dont want to stray too far off topic but if a rapist put blue led's in his grill for example a somone at night could easily be tricked into pulling over and stopping

emzy 14-04-2009 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 704147)
i think if i recall correctly your allowed blue lights but it depends where they are fitted and how

it would be a lot simpler to ban any car except emergency vehicles from having blue lights , even a doctor on call has a green flashing light and not blue light so why a piza delivery car or a clapped out bmw needs blue lights i have no idea but bare in mind a lot of boy racers make these kind of modifications when they attempt to make their 1.2 corsa look like somthing out of need 4 speed or teh fast and teh furious lol

dont want to stray too far off topic but if a rapist put blue led's in his grill for example a somone at night could easily be tricked into pulling over and stopping

Am going back a number of years (around 10 or so) when this kind of thing started becoming popular my ex had green side light bulbs. When spotted by the police he was pulled over and asked if he was a dr, member of the medical profession etc, which obviously he wasnt so he was given a producer and had to return to the police station in either a week or two weeks to prove that he had replaced the green bulbs with clear white ones. They were illegal to have back then unless you were an emergency vehicle of some description. Am not sure but it seems like this law has either been changed or they no longer bother enforcing it anymore. He did also get stopped for driving with his fog lights on when it wasnt foggy and the officer had a firm word in his ear about driving with fog lights on when there is no need, think this is something else that they no longer bother about, or so it seems. I was told many back then that the coloured side lights, under car lighting etc was fine for show purposes but illegal to use on the roads. Now it seems to be the norm for many cars

And as for the rapist scenario, i was told by my driving instructor that if i was unsure about stopping (being flashed to pull over at night etc and was travelling alone) then to make my way to the police station or somewhere safe and stop there where i felt safer to do so. Am sure that most police officers would understand if someone did this if they were unsure of what was happening (although on the other hand guess that they could class it as refusing to stop)

jaysay 14-04-2009 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by emzy (Post 704154)
Am going back a number of years (around 10 or so) when this kind of thing started becoming popular my ex had green side light bulbs. When spotted by the police he was pulled over and asked if he was a dr, member of the medical profession etc, which obviously he wasnt so he was given a producer and had to return to the police station in either a week or two weeks to prove that he had replaced the green bulbs with clear white ones. They were illegal to have back then unless you were an emergency vehicle of some description. Am not sure but it seems like this law has either been changed or they no longer bother enforcing it anymore. He did also get stopped for driving with his fog lights on when it wasnt foggy and the officer had a firm word in his ear about driving with fog lights on when there is no need, think this is something else that they no longer bother about, or so it seems. I was told many back then that the coloured side lights, under car lighting etc was fine for show purposes but illegal to use on the roads. Now it seems to be the norm for many cars

No don't think the laws been changed emzy its just that its not enforced with certain sections of the community:rolleyes:

emzy 14-04-2009 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 704155)
No don't think the laws been changed emzy its just that its not enforced with certain sections of the community:rolleyes:

Ahhh, so they just dont seem to bother enforcing it any more then

yerself 14-04-2009 11:10

Who/which are these certain sections of the community that people keep referring to?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

jaysay 14-04-2009 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 704162)
Who/which are these certain sections of the community that people keep referring to?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The same as those who seem to be immune to parking tickets on Blackburn Road, whoever they are:rolleyes:

jaysay 14-04-2009 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by emzy (Post 704158)
Ahhh, so they just dont seem to bother enforcing it any more then

Don't you try it emzy:rolleyes:

yerself 14-04-2009 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay
The same as those who seem to be immune to parking tickets on Blackburn Road, whoever they are

Are they related to the Blackburn motorists who share the same privileges on Audley Range and Whalley Range? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

wadey 14-04-2009 13:06

Reg 16, The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989
Restrictions on fitting blue warning beacons, special warning lamps and similar devices
16. No vehicle, other than an emergency vehicle, shall be fitted with-

(a) a blue warning beacon or special warning lamp, or

(b) a device which resembles a blue warning beacon or a special warning lamp, whether the same is in working order or not.

wadey 14-04-2009 13:08

if i was unsure about stopping (being flashed to pull over at night etc and was travelling alone) then to make my way to the police station or somewhere safe and stop there where i felt safer to do so."
I agree but as most Police Stations are shut at night a well lit garage with CCTV is a good option

wadey 14-04-2009 13:11

* According to Regulation 11 of the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations only red light may be shown from the rear of a vehicle. There are a very few exceptions to this, including amber from indicators.
* Red light must never be shown at the front of a vehicle
* Blue should be avoided, since it is strongly associated with emergency vehicles.
* The law covers lamps at the front and sides, and not light coming from the underside of vehicles. Neon systems aren't lamps, but they do create light that's easily seen. The wisest course is to abide by the colour regulations outlined: red at the rear, amber at the side, and white in front.

accyman 14-04-2009 13:25

i had a sabaru impreza behind me a few months ago in yorkshire with very bright lights driving very close to me so i altered my mirror and made the international jesture for i think your a masterbator to show my displeasure at been blinded

big gulp when it decided to overtake me as it was a police car and it must have been checking my numberplate , tax and details etc but i thought it was a boy racer acting stupid

luckily i wasnt pulled over :D

emzy 14-04-2009 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 704196)
i had a sabaru impreza behind me a few months ago in yorkshire with very bright lights driving very close to me so i altered my mirror and made the international jesture for i think your a masterbator to show my displeasure at been blinded

big gulp when it decided to overtake me as it was a police car and it must have been checking my numberplate , tax and details etc but i thought it was a boy racer acting stupid

luckily i wasnt pulled over :D

Oooopsie, that could have got you in a little bit of trouble lol

accyman 14-04-2009 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by emzy (Post 704206)
Oooopsie, that could have got you in a little bit of trouble lol

seen as they video record all their procedures there may well be a video kocking around somewhere of me doing the jesture at them and may turn up on police stop one day pmsl :D

must say their car looked pretty sweet kitted out with all the kit plus the police stickers and stuff , i bet they have some fun with it when they get an excuse to do a pursuit :D

jaysay 14-04-2009 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 704166)
Are they related to the Blackburn motorists who share the same privileges on Audley Range and Whalley Range? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Correct:D

Taggy 14-04-2009 16:36

Quote:

No need to have a go at the Police Mate!!:D:D

Best Regards - Taggy

BERNADETTE 14-04-2009 22:04

Funny that none of our local councillors have commented on this problem yet Greg Pope has promised to look into it. Is it not a problem if it isn't in the wards they are elected to represent? Wonder what the response would be if someone is injured or even killed because of the illegal parking.

cashman 14-04-2009 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 704491)
Funny that none of our local councillors have commented on this problem yet Greg Pope has promised to look into it. Is it not a problem if it isn't in the wards they are elected to represent? Wonder what the response would be if someone is injured or even killed because of the illegal parking.

don't think most of ems been on lately in fairness, is a bit odd though.:confused: Andrew e-mailed greg pope though, which i never found odd,after watching a WW2 documentary tonight, it said most of the Jap "Kamikaze" pilots were university students. apparently cos they were educated numptys.:D:D:D

katex 14-04-2009 22:16

Not even sure what Greg Pope can do to be honest, except put pressure on HBC to put pressure on LCC to put pressure on their traffic wardens for indiscriminate parking in this area ... nowt to do with the Police in the circumstances put forward on this thread.

BERNADETTE 14-04-2009 22:24

So there is nothing anybody can do? You can bet your bottom dollar that there will be an uproar if/when somebody gets hurt, it is disgusting that these things are allowed to happen:mad: Why can the police not do anything? These people are breaking the law by parking illegally:confused:

accyman 14-04-2009 22:26

its plenty to do with the police when they let folk drive by yakking on their mobile phones, park at traffic lights , block roads because they couldnt care less about the big yellow box which means dont enter unless your exit is clear , lights not working ( epecially on taxis ) blah blah blah etc etc basicly teh entire highway code gets ignored down there

a clampdown by both the council and police working together would be ideal

sort out the worst area and make an example of them then get to work on other problem areas

katex 14-04-2009 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 704498)
its plenty to do with the police when they let folk drive by yakking on their mobile phones, park at traffic lights , block roads because they couldnt care less about the big yellow box which means dont enter unless your exit is clear , lights not working ( epecially on taxis ) blah blah blah etc etc basicly teh entire highway code gets ignored down there

a clampdown by both the council and police working together would be ideal

sort out the worst area and make an example of them then get to work on other problem areas

Of course, most of these you mentioned are criminal motoring offences Accyman, not parking, in which the police would be involved. You see all these types everywhere you go .. not just Blackburn road, and they do get stopped if spotted on other areas of the road network. You can enter a yellow box if turning right by the way ... a rule lots of people do not follow. (sorry, just an aside which annoys me)

You would be the first to grumble if the police were spending time ticketing motorists for non criminal offences as Mick's photos, and not attending to other duties. The LCC own all our roads in Hyndburn, so their responsibility to lay out parking restrictions and to 'police' it themselves for people overstepping the mark.

cashman 14-04-2009 22:45

funny how times change, the police stopped me on blackburn rd early 80s n threatened to prosecute me fer having a brake light out in me taxi, even followed me to the garage were tesco express now is on manchester rd till i bought a bulb, of course 90% of the drivers were english then,:( wonder why things have changed.:(