Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Accrington Observer - the new look. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/accrington-observer-the-new-look-47257.html)

garinda 04-05-2009 16:23

Accrington Observer - the new look.

I think that last weekend's 'new look' edition of the Observer marks the death knell for the paper.

The middle of the paper is now generic to all the stable of local papers that the group owns in the northwest, and has nothing to do with Hyndburn at all.

The rest of the paper is filled out with photographs, and the page for each area that makes up Hyndburn, is now but a short column for each town.

I'll carry on buying it...for the time being.

Either until it's too upsetting to remember what a fine local paper it once was, and I decide it isn't worth the money, or until it folds completely.

I'd offer to post a copy to you in Hull Andrew. Even better I cut out all the guff that really isn't news, and I could send it by carrier pigeon, as the cuttings would easily fit in the ring on the bird's leg.

garinda 04-05-2009 16:45

Re: Accrington Observer - the new look.

By the way, this thread isn't a rant at the staff of the Observer.

I understand the difficulties that much of the printed news industry is facing, and they have my sympathy.

flashy 04-05-2009 16:50

i don't like it, it doesn't look like a local paper anymore
Posted via Mobile Device

pipinfort 04-05-2009 17:24

I wasn`t impressed either, the weekly local cafe/butty shop review( which always made me chuckle) had been replaced by a write up about a pub in Bolton....:confused:

garinda 04-05-2009 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipinfort (Post 710822)
I wasn`t impressed either, the weekly local cafe/butty shop review( which always made me chuckle) had been replaced by a write up about a pub in Bolton....:confused:

Exactly.

If I wanted to know what was going on in Greater Manchester I'd buy a paper from there.

The whole middle section of the Observer will now be going straight into the recycling sack, unread.

nortype 04-05-2009 17:44

agree not accy observer anymore did not like it at all.

flashy 04-05-2009 17:55

there is usually a piece in about each local secondary school aswell, there wasnt this week, its the only way i can catch up on the things that are happening at Rhyddings

steeljack 04-05-2009 18:24

the slow death of the local press is happening all over the world , the only folks who I see benefiting from this are the local Politicians (all parties) , means more of the dirty tricks, corruption and sleaze never get the public airing they deserve.

maybe its part of a big giant plot to keep the public ignorant and allow the NWO to take over ;)

katex 04-05-2009 18:25

Was going to say exactly the same thing Garinda ! Appears that not much of the 'get off yer' backside into town and report' type of attitude .. only what people will send in themselves... :(

The 'Life' section was billed as 'super new', well not for me .. don't wish to read about the anaemic looking Rhydian thank you very much, and I did enjoy the 'My Life' section, even though some oddball characters ... was fun to see who they would be stuck in a lift with. They were our oddballs after all. And where is the photo' of the week ?! They were good too. Thought Clayton/Altham District news had disappeared and then spotted these five liners on the left .... utter laziness.

Just as an aside, advert in jobs section (are there any in Hyndburn now ?) .. for trainee plumbers .. daughter pointed this out ..(my kids like to read the Observer when they are over) States you could be installing full bathrooms in 6 weeks .... huh .. would you contract them ..... LOL. Bet Derekgas would have summat to say about this. :D Not the Observer's fault mind you.

cashman 04-05-2009 19:14

agree its gone from bad to worse, will purchase very few of these, toilet paper is more upmarket now anyway.:rolleyes:

lancsdave 04-05-2009 20:51

The content should improve for at least one week quite soon :D

Lilly 04-05-2009 20:53

I agree too. I wasn't impressed with the Obby this week.

Like Garinda, I'll carry on buying it for now but it's very sad to see. :(

andrewb 05-05-2009 06:05

It does feel like I've chosen the worst possible moment to start having the Observer sent to me... :p

shakermaker 05-05-2009 08:06

Think I may be getting a different Accy Observer to you lot.
The changes are hardly noticable to me.

jaysay 05-05-2009 08:50

The Obs has been going down the tubes for ages now, but the thing is with everything now accessible on the internet, the written word is no longer god. have read the Obs all my life, I even used to get the old Midweek Obs before it went to a Free, then went altogether. Around 18 months ago I decided to cancel the LT as I found it was just as easy to access it on the Net, the only thing is, a far as the Obs is concerned, is their Web Site is crap compared to the LT that is, so it seems the games up for a local institution, RIP Accrington Observer and Times