Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   joanna lumley on gurkhas (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/joanna-lumley-on-gurkhas-47303.html)

Wynonie Harris 08-05-2009 12:53

Re: joanna lumley on gurkhas

One of the most satisfying sights of this week was to see Joanna Lumley outwitting the hapless Phil Woolas. One helluva a lady! What a contrast to the likes of Harriet Harman and Jacqui Smith (and Caroline Spelman for the sake of political balance! ;) )

jaysay 08-05-2009 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 711916)
i agree they should, just same as the tories should hold their hands up n say we never even considered this, all the years we were in power, no party should escape criticism who has been in power in my lifetime. the snipers always omit to say this.:rolleyes:

No government in my recollection has ever been put to task over this issue like his one cashy, the trouble with this present shower is they've forgot that old saying, when your in a hole stop bloody digging:rolleyes: this lot are halfway to Australia and the muck is still flying over their shoulders:rolleyes:

jaysay 08-05-2009 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 711931)
One of the most satisfying sights of this week was to see Joanna Lumley outwitting the hapless Phil Woolas. One helluva a lady! What a contrast to the likes of Harriet Harman and Jacqui Smith (and Caroline Spelman for the sake of political balance! ;) )

Ho give her more credit than that Wynonie its not that hard to outwit an halfwit

Wynonie Harris 08-05-2009 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 712006)
Ho give her more credit than that Wynonie its not that hard to outwit an halfwit

No, it isn't, Jaysay, and because of this particular PM's insecurities, he has surrounded himself with mediocre yes men (and women) to the detriment of the country. However, it was good to see one of these nonentities ambushed by Joanna Lumley, without the benefit of spin doctors and a carefully prepared prebriefing session! :D

Royboy39 08-05-2009 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 711916)
i agree they should, just same as the tories should hold their hands up n say we never even considered this, all the years we were in power, no party should escape criticism who has been in power in my lifetime. the snipers always omit to say this.:rolleyes:

The media are to be complemented for bringing this to headline status.
Internet is also to be complemted for the views that are expressed on this subject..........In 1997 the subject was published at the whim of the moguls in Fleet Street.....Now thankfully, right thinking people have the wherewithall to discuss the subject with the world.
No matter what went on in the past, this is on todays agenda.

jaysay 09-05-2009 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 712077)
No, it isn't, Jaysay, and because of this particular PM's insecurities, he has surrounded himself with mediocre yes men (and women) to the detriment of the country. However, it was good to see one of these nonentities ambushed by Joanna Lumley, without the benefit of spin doctors and a carefully prepared prebriefing session! :D

Well ya you have a point, they're nout without smoke and mirrors, thats all politicians:rolleyes:

planetsusie 09-05-2009 11:07

This woman rokks!

Tealeaf 09-05-2009 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetsusie (Post 712218)
This woman rokks!

Maybe she does.....but if she succeeds in her aims, the end result will be the end of Gurkha service with the British Army.

cashman 09-05-2009 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 712233)
Maybe she does.....but if she succeeds in her aims, the end result will be the end of Gurkha service with the British Army.

think i see what yer getting at T. but if thats what it takes.:)

Tealeaf 09-05-2009 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 712234)
think i see what yer getting at T. but if thats what it takes.:)

Takes to do what? I don't understand.

cashman 09-05-2009 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 712239)
Takes to do what? I don't understand.

if thats what it takes so gurkhas who have served us are admitted into britain.then so be it.IMHO.:)

Tealeaf 09-05-2009 11:47

But most Gurkhas knew when they signed on that there was no end-of-service right of abode in the UK. Why is this now being changed retrospectively?

cashman 09-05-2009 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 712245)
But most Gurkhas knew when they signed on that there was no end-of-service right of abode in the UK. Why is this now being changed retrospectively?

well i look at it this way i see all the deadbeats n scum that are admitted who don't even like the british, just the benefits of coming here, n think well these guys fought n many died fer us,i see the conditions in their homeland n reckon they deserve our aid. that is my personal thinking on this matter.

Tealeaf 09-05-2009 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 712252)
well i look at it this way i see all the deadbeats n scum that are admitted who don't even like the british, just the benefits of coming here, n think well these guys fought n many died fer us,i see the conditions in their homeland n reckon they deserve our aid. that is my personal thinking on this matter.

But if we are to change the law to allow in the pre '97 Gurkhas - however honourable the sentiment in doing so - then how long will it be before another group - and this time not so deserving - turn up and start shouting to be let in? You know that, like the Gurkhas it will go to court and you know what the lawyers and judges are like..they will quote precedent of the Gurkhas and before we know it..another lot come flooding in.

cashman 09-05-2009 12:23

can't dispute that T, that to me is a different argument though, also one of the reasons i despise the political ******* in our country.