Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2009, 19:35   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: 4th Veteran’s Day – Saturday 27th June

Eeew that roll of honour monument looks fantastic. When I passed on Thursday morning, the workers were there just running their hands down the grey stone. Wondered how they were going to carve all those names on it in time ... but understand now ....
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-06-2009, 21:23   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Not my normal position, defending Peter Britcliffe (), but as far as I'm aware, he and other Oswaldtwistle councillors were instrumental in the refurbishing of the War Memorial, and the organisation of the rededication, and I'd have been more shocked if they weren't there. Though I agree about using a wreath to promote any political party is a bit iffy, in my opinion.
It's not my normal position either () but in defence of Peter - it wasn't just the Tories that had the political party in the wreath, Labour did as well. As it happens pretty much the first thing that Peter said to me was that he didn't order the wreath and that he didn't know it was going to have Conservative in the middle - it was an unprompted statement from him because I hadn't even looked at them at that stage.

Instead of seeing it as promotion of any political party can't we just see it in the same way as signing a condolence card? You don't send a card without telling people who it's from.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 21:37   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post

Instead of seeing it as promotion of any political party can't we just see it in the same way as signing a condolence card? You don't send a card without telling people who it's from.
Don't wish to cause any further controversial remarks over such an emotional occasion, but suppose would have been better for a wreath to have been laid just from the HBC. For once united in their respect.
Old 27-06-2009, 22:06   #19
God Member

I appreciate what you're saying Kate but I think it's just a standard thing for both parties to put their own down.

I am a tiny bit puzzled by the wreaths though as it wasn't poppy day was it - I thought that was in November.

Old 27-06-2009, 23:53   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You don't send a card without telling people who it's from.
Perhaps not, but I also wouldn't send a card emblazoned with my ugly mug on the front either.

The wreathes laid at the Cenotaph don't have who they're from plastered all over them, and like you say yesterday wasn't Rememberance Day anyway.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 09:44   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Not my normal position, defending Peter Britcliffe (), but as far as I'm aware, he and other Oswaldtwistle councillors were instrumental in the refurbishing of the War Memorial, and the organisation of the rededication, and I'd have been more shocked if they weren't there. Though I agree about using a wreath to promote any political party is a bit iffy, in my opinion.

I do think it looks great, and we're lucky to have one of the most beautiful war memorials in the country.

As it is for many other people, the place is very special to my family. For my mum, growing up without a dad, who'd been killed in Normandy aged 22, just months before she was born, it is the nearest thing she had/has to a grave to visit.

My grandfather's great grandson was very proud to march with the cubs, in today's rededication procession.
Gayle didn't miss PB he's on the first photo and seeing he has worked for Ossy tirelessly over the last twenty five years, why shouldn't he be there. The fact is that most of the time PB doesn't ask to have a photo included in the press, as they use pics taken years ago
Old 28-06-2009, 10:27   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
It's not my normal position either () but in defence of Peter - it wasn't just the Tories that had the political party in the wreath, Labour did as well. As it happens pretty much the first thing that Peter said to me was that he didn't order the wreath and that he didn't know it was going to have Conservative in the middle - it was an unprompted statement from him because I hadn't even looked at them at that stage.

It's not a political thing as you say Gayle. It's standard practice at the remembrance day service for the different political parties to lay a wreath.

The Mayor lays a wreath on behalf of the Borough, as he did yesterday.

As far as I can remember the wreaths have always had the logo's of the various parties on the wreath. Also it's the British Legion I think who get the wreaths for us.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 10:31   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
It's not a political thing as you say Gayle. It's standard practice at the remembrance day service for the different political parties to lay a wreath.

As far as I can remember the wreaths have always had the logo's of the various parties on the wreath. Also it's the British Legion I think who get the wreaths for us.
Think your spot on there Bernard, thats how I've always seen it too
Old 28-06-2009, 10:36   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post

That's what I was saying. I was pointing out that it's normal to have the parties represented individually - I wasn't complaining or commenting against it, just saying that it was the tradition.

I was just asking the people who HAD complained that they could perhaps try to interpret it differently - and not get worked up about something that is just standard practice.

Old 28-06-2009, 11:34   #25
Give, give, give member

Perhaps our political parties should follow the Queen's example.

Her wreath is made out of poppies, and is not used to promote anyone other than rememberig the fallen.

A discreet card is fine, saying who it's from, but a wreath carrying an obvious logo, used as some sort of self promotion/advertising, is more than a bit naff.

Just my opinion, but using people's deaths for means other than rememberance, gets on my goat.

Old 28-06-2009, 12:48   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Perhaps our political parties should follow the Queen's example.

Her wreath is made out of poppies, and is not used to promote anyone other than rememberig the fallen.

A discreet card is fine, saying who it's from, but a wreath carrying an obvious logo, used as some sort of self promotion/advertising, is more than a bit naff.

Just my opinion, but using people's deaths for means other than rememberance, gets on my goat.
Sometimes I think politicians are damned if they do and damned if they don't can't win really can they
Old 28-06-2009, 13:15   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Sometimes I think politicians are damned if they do and damned if they don't can't win really can they
Political parties are free to lay wreathes, just as other organisations are, but if they use that act as a form of advertising, it's more than a little disatasteful in my opinion.

The same sort of distaste that comes from making a big song and dance about charitable donations.

Naff, and not very charitable, to my way of thinking.

Old 28-06-2009, 19:15   #28
Senior Member+

The laying of wreaths on Remembrance day is one of the few occasions when political parties actually put aside their differences.

It's not about self promotion, or advertising any political party. It's about showing respect and remembering those who have given their lives in the service of their country.
Old 28-06-2009, 19:38   #29
Resting in Peace

So, what do the Independents do Bernard ? Obviously we have only 3 categories of political parties on our council.
Old 28-06-2009, 19:54   #30
Senior Member+

I was just making the point Kate, that when it comes to remembrance day politicians of all political parties including independents do tend to put aside their differences.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..