Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-06-2009, 14:15   #46
Give, give, give member

Re: 4th Veteran’s Day – Saturday 27th June

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'd sooner that that political parties be accused of not giving a stuff
There's a vast difference between making a big song and dance about laying a wreath, with a political logo the size of a frisbee attached, and actually 'giving a stuff' in reality'.

Perhaps if our political parties cared more about the troops actually in war zones at this present moment, with missing or shoody kit and infrastructure, I for one would be happier.

Plus lets not forget that both major parties supported us going to war in Iraq, which lead to many British and civilian deaths, which at the most generous was sold as misinformation, and at worse a down right lie.

Also political parties of both sides ignored the plight war widows and orphans, and those disabled in service, for decades, until the Falkland war. They were treated very shoddily, with many living in poverty, by susccessive governments.

So as far as making grand gestures, which includes ataching your political logos the size of a dinner plate to a wreath, you can stick it.

Actions speak more than any showy, self promoting, grand gestures in my book.

Personally I'd be more moved by a single poppy laid in rememberance by the widow/er or orphan of someone killed in serving our country, than any ostentatious wreath laid by any political party.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-06-2009, 14:21   #47
Give, give, give member

Thanks for that information Gayle, but this just isn't a one off.

It happens at war memorials across the land, including the Cenotaph.

Old 30-06-2009, 16:11   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Thanks for that information Gayle, but this just isn't a one off.

It happens at war memorials across the land, including the Cenotaph.
Get in touch with Gordon I'm sure he'll listen
Old 30-06-2009, 16:26   #49
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Get in touch with Gordon I'm sure he'll listen
It happens in all the political parties, you card carrying members are part of.

If I see one from the B.N.P. on the war memorial I might well go mental, and throw all the wreathes from political parties, bearing logos more prominent than the poppies, in the Tinker brook.

Old 30-06-2009, 16:29   #50
Give, give, give member

Quote:
There's a vast difference between making a big song and dance about laying a wreath, with a political logo the size of a frisbee attached, and actually 'giving a stuff' in reality'.

Perhaps if our political parties cared more about the troops actually in war zones at this present moment, with missing or shoody kit and infrastructure, I for one would be happier.

Plus lets not forget that both major parties supported us going to war in Iraq, which lead to many British and civilian deaths, which at the most generous was sold as misinformation, and at worse a down right lie.

Also political parties of both sides ignored the plight war widows and orphans, and those disabled in service, for decades, until the Falkland war. They were treated very shoddily, with many living in poverty, by susccessive governments.

So as far as making grand gestures, which includes ataching your political logos the size of a dinner plate to a wreath, you can stick it.

Actions speak more than any showy, self promoting, grand gestures in my book.

Personally I'd be more moved by a single poppy laid in rememberance by the widow/er or orphan of someone killed in serving our country, than any ostentatious wreath laid by any political party.
I see you decided not to comment in this.

Easier for politicans to pay lip service to rememberance with grand gestures, than do anything practical, such as making sure our lads 'n' lasses have boots that bloody fit.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:08   #51
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I see you decided not to comment in this.

Easier for politicians to pay lip service to remembrance with grand gestures, than do anything practical, such as making sure our lads 'n' lasses have boots that bloody fit.
Sometimes Rindi you can be a complete arse, glad its only occasionally, please don't include everybody that are involved in politics in your generalisations, I've been involved with the British Legion for many years and regularly do work on their behave, so I take exception to your comments very much
Old 01-07-2009, 09:47   #52
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Sometimes Rindi you can be a complete arse, glad its only occasionally, please don't include everybody that are involved in politics in your generalisations, I've been involved with the British Legion for many years and regularly do work on their behave, so I take exception to your comments very much
Oh do take a chill pill.

I've not criticised any one person, including yourself.

I've just made comment about political parties using wreaths to promote themselves.

No mention has been made of any one party, or any one person.

As stated earlier, I'd be happier if politicans, of all parties, had fought more for war widow, war orphans, and those disabled by war, and also ensuring that those in war zones today have adequate equipment and kit...rather than making big showy gestures of sticking a dinner plate sized political logo on a wreath.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:51   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Oh do take a chill pill.

I've not criticised any one person, including yourself.

I've just made comment about political parties using wreaths to promote themselves.

No mention has been made of any one party, or any one person.

As stated earlier, I'd be happier if politicans, of all parties, had fought more for war widow, war orphans, and those disabled by war, and also ensuring that those in war zones today have adequate equipment and kit...rather than making big showy gestures of sticking a dinner plate sized political logo on a wreath.
So I'll take it your against political logos on wreaths then
Old 01-07-2009, 09:52   #54
Give, give, give member

Quote:

....and I'd take exception to your ability to read what was actually posted, if it wasn't for the fact that I know your political blinkers make this impossible.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:57   #55
Give, give, give member

Quote:
So I'll take it your against political logos on wreaths then

When they take up more surface area of a wreath than the poppies do, I find it disatsteful, as I've posted.

Still it's no suprise that respect, discreetion, and decorum, aren't the most obvious attributes of politcans.

Plus I suppose it'll save them money from their multi-million pound advertising budgets, if they can get their logos prominently displayed on every war memorial in the country.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:12   #56
Resting in Peace

Take a chill pill Rindi, lighten up
Old 01-07-2009, 10:23   #57
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Take a chill pill Rindi, lighten up
I'm my normal happy self thank you.

I've no anger filling my life, causing me to call people arses.

I entered this discussion defending the right of a councillor, your little chum, to be at the rededication service.

Personally I fid prominent political logos, which overshadow the poppies, distasteful.

Everyone is free to pay their respect for those who laid down their lives in service of our country.

I finish with a reminder that the war memorial that caused this debate, the one in Oswaldtwistle, and one of the most beautiful in the country, was paid for by public subscription by the people of the town, and not by any council, nor any government.

The politicans only came along later...to lay their logos.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..