Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Remembrance Sunday (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/remembrance-sunday-50339.html)

Retlaw 07-11-2009 18:51

Remembrance Sunday

Remembrance Sunday November 8th 2009.

In memory of the 221 men of Greater Accrington
who lost their lives during the battle of the Somme July 1916.
Also the 158 men missing from Hyndburn's War Memorials.

In the going down of the sun and in the evening.

Less we forget

Retlaw.

katex 07-11-2009 18:58

Re: Remembrance Sunday

Course not Retlaw. I do have the feeling too that there has been an upsurge of interest in the younger generation of our soldiers who gave their life in the wars due to the current situations.

Margaret Pilkington 07-11-2009 20:31

There were many young people in Manchester today selling poppies.......and not just those in the sea cadets and those kind of organisations.....they were ordinary young folk.
It is good to see that they value the sacrifices being made by the service men and women out in those difficult places.

West Ender 07-11-2009 20:39

Nik will be at the parish church, in the morning, with her Brownies. They all march (Scouts, Guides etc.) with the British Legion to the church and the war memorial.

It matters. We don't forget.

BERNADETTE 07-11-2009 20:53

I am watching the Festival Of Rememberance at the moment very moving. We owe these brave young men so much, we should never forget the sacrifices made in the past or the ones being made now.

junetta 07-11-2009 22:40

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We shall remember them.

I now have my Queen Elizabeth Cross which I will wear with pride tomorrow. Almost twenty eight years on and I still grieve. My heart goes out to all those who are suffering at the moment as I know the road they will go down.

God bless xx

cashman 07-11-2009 23:17

Lest We Forget........ R.I.P. the fallen.

shillelagh 07-11-2009 23:29

1 Attachment(s)
i sat and watched the festival of remembrance on telly .. used to always watch it with my mum every year without fail ... we should never forget ..

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them

Mancie 08-11-2009 01:55

I watched the big fight tonight at my mates house.... and I am proud to say that all of us wore the poppy and stood for the National Anthem.. I will add that half of the blokes were black!

grannyclaret 08-11-2009 13:02

lovely service on B.B.C.as usual,,,,,i love the march past by the old service people they always look so proud...and today the little boys marching with pride swinging their arms,,,,,,BLESS

Margaret Pilkington 08-11-2009 14:08

I watched and felt sadness for the families of those who have lost family and friends in all of the conflicts.

Gayle 08-11-2009 18:34

I went to the Remembrance parade in Ossy - one of the largest turnouts for many, many years I think.

One thing that really bugged me - someone (I do know who he is but won't name him) turned his back when the National Anthem was played and deliberately walked away, he returned when the National Anthem was finished.

grannyclaret 08-11-2009 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 761530)
I went to the Remembrance parade in Ossy - one of the largest turnouts for many, many years I think.

One thing that really bugged me - someone (I do know who he is but won't name him) turned his back when the National Anthem was played and deliberately walked away, he returned when the National Anthem was finished.

then why on earth was he there,,,maybe just to cause trouble....better he stayed at home ,watched it on tele and went off for a pee when the national antham was on,,,,,sheese,,,,

Wynonie Harris 08-11-2009 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 761530)

Doesn't matter whether you're a republican or a royalist, today was not a day for ostentatiously parading your beliefs. It was a day for paying respects to others. Obviously, this ill-mannered, self-centred individual has no concept of this. :(

Mancie 08-11-2009 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 761538)
Doesn't matter whether you're a republican or a royalist, today was not a day for ostentatiously parading your beliefs. It was a day for paying respects to others. Obviously, this ill-mannered, self-centred individual has no concept of this. :(

Yes... "God Save The Queen" may not be to everyones liking but it's more about showing respect...thanking the men and women that have in some cases given thier lives for this country no matter if the wars have been so called "legal" or "illegal"