Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Our 'special' relationship with the U.S. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/our-special-relationship-with-the-u-s-50404.html)

Guinness 12-11-2009 19:21

Our 'special' relationship with the U.S.

Here's one more example of how its a one way 'special' relationship.

Gary McKinnon’s mother in tears after snub from Alan Johnson - Telegraph

It's funny how the U.K. allows for extradition in this case, but should it be the other way around, the U.S. constitution would not allow the U.K. to extradite, without a trial and guilty verdict in the U.S. first taking place.

Eric 12-11-2009 19:39

Re: Our 'special' relationship with the U.S.

The US operates according to a "single standard", the standard that Adam Smith called the "vile maxim of the masters of mankind: ... All for ourselves, and nothing for the other people." The only thing "special" about the realtionship between you and the US is that they don't screw you over as badly as they do other countries .... Nicaragua, Cuba ... and, the list goes on.

cashman 12-11-2009 23:01

oh its a very "Special" relationship= We Give- They Take.:rolleyes:

accyman 12-11-2009 23:15

our special relationship with the usa dosnt much differ from the special relationship a new cellmate has when bending over to get the soap

steeljack 12-11-2009 23:24

Don't blame the US If the British Govt. and M.Ps are dumb enough to negotiate and ratify a one sided treaty......its not like someone put a gun to your head . :confused: :confused:

cashman 12-11-2009 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 762508)
Don't blame the US If the British Govt. and M.Ps are dumb enough to negotiate and ratify a one sided treaty......its not like someone put a gun to your head . :confused: :confused:

dont think anyones blaming the yanks, the cretins here yeh.

accyman 13-11-2009 00:06

just out of curiosity what does it take to get out of a treaty , if we had told the yanks to sod off when told to start an illigal war with them how exactly would they have punished us ?

its not as though we depend on them for trade because most things i buy are made in china , korea or basically anwhere except america

i wouldnt even touch their cars their crap

Eric 13-11-2009 00:08

Quote:

Talking of guns and treaties, Noam Chomsky comments: "... the world's hegemonic power accords itself the right to wage war at will, under a doctrine of 'anticipatory self-defense' with unstated bounds. International law, treaties, and rules of world order are sternly imposed on others with much self-righteous posturing, but dismissed as irrelevant for the United States - a long-standing practice, driven to new depths by the Reagan and Bush ll administrations." I agree with this, and I'm not anti-American:eek: ... although I am of the opinion that GW is a detestable moron ... Raygun was just plain stupid, barely qualified for his supporting role to a chimp. But the ordinary Americans I have met are, for the most part, great folks, much like us;):D. Whoever made the comment that Canadians are unarmed Americans with medicare was pretty close to being right on.

cashman 13-11-2009 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 762516)
I'm not anti-American:eek: ... although I am of the opinion that GW is a detestable moron ... Raygun was just plain stupid, barely qualified for his supporting role to a chimp. But the ordinary Americans I have met are, for the most part, great folks, much like us;):D. Whoever made the comment that Canadians are unarmed Americans with medicare was pretty close to being right on.

can agree with every word of that.:)

steeljack 13-11-2009 00:47

I'm thinking that maybe the US is using a carrot and stick approach to UK - US relations , going back to the Falklands , its doubtfull if the UK would have been successful without US help (stuff that never made the UK press) , I'm sure that if the Argentinians were to start making noises again about the 'Malvinas' such American help might not be as readily available again , and I dont suppose any British Govt. would stand a snowballs chance in hell of staying in power if they lost the Falklands .

Eric 13-11-2009 01:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 762525)
I'm thinking that maybe the US is using a carrot and stick approach to UK - US relations , going back to the Falklands , its doubtfull if the UK would have been successful without US help (stuff that never made the UK press) , I'm sure that if the Argentinians were to start making noises again about the 'Malvinas' such American help might not be as readily available again , and I dont suppose any British Govt. would stand a snowballs chance in hell of staying in power if they lost the Falklands .

Indeed ... the Verdun of the South Atlantic. When you say that it is "doubtfull if the UK would have been successful without US help" you are, no doubt, correct. But that's almost like saying that "allies" of the US only wage war with their permission. (I sometimes have my doubts about the Israelis; but there is a good chance it is the same with them too.) This is why people drag out the term "yanks" ... you guys are, militarily, just too damn powerful ... this doesn't engender trust and love in even your closest "allies."

garinda 13-11-2009 01:21

We're like some sad old ex-girlfriend, treasuring dusty old Valentine's cards, while they're off making the beast with two backs, with someone new.

jaysay 13-11-2009 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 762530)
We're like some sad old ex-girlfriend, treasuring dusty old Valentine's cards, while they're off making the beast with two backs, with someone new.

Never thought of it like that Rindi:D

***Mr D*** 13-11-2009 15:37

Wonder why the US want him so badly.:rolleyes:

Guinness 13-11-2009 22:52

Quote:

yeah dude, we sure are dumb here in the good ol' UK of England

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 762514)

(and that aint a 'gun to the head'????)........Then again perhaps we aint so dumb... maybe we are just the nerd being bullied by the jock.

YouTube - Team America World Police Intro