Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Market Hall Refurbishment (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/market-hall-refurbishment-51037.html)

blazey 31-07-2010 20:36

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

I went in again yesterday and it felt even less like a market place. I don't like it.

Angelic 08-08-2010 16:54

I think it looks great! How many other local councils are currently investing in their dated market halls? Not many I'd guess. I'd certainly shop there rather than go into Burnley which is nearer.

g jones 08-08-2010 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelic (Post 835165)
I think it looks great! How many other local councils are currently investing in their dated market halls? Not many I'd guess. I'd certainly shop there rather than go into Burnley which is nearer.

It was funded by central government from general taxation. The Council did not fund the renovation. The Council's first option was to sell the market off which drew must interest but no bidders because the accounts were a (profitable) mess.

My view was then and is now that the private sector be brought in with markets expertise. When the two year sell off failed that became the Council's preferred option.

At that stage opposition Councillors were removed from the project and the detail of the refurbishment and the business was totally in the hands of two people. Councillors Haworth and Britcliffe.

Whilst the private sector avenue was the best option, the way the Council has handled it is poor. Bully boy tactics on traders, lack of consultation, new imposed contracts that have left many stalls empty, food establishments in the wrong place.

It is currently losing around £150,000 - £200,000 pa less than it should be making. It is probably making around £50,000-£100,000 profit (though the accounts are still a mess). The failure to maximise income in the market will cost the Council tax 4% of Council Tax revenue which will have to paid for by Council Tax payers. It is affecting everyone.

If the markets problems (with traders / contracts / opening hours / food concessions) it could turn into a major problem quickly.

Little thought has been given to the money and ideas the Council have been given.

SPUGGIE J 08-08-2010 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by g jones (Post 835168)
It was funded by central government from general taxation. The Council did not fund the renovation. The Council's first option was to sell the market off which drew must interest but no bidders because the accounts were a (profitable) mess.

My view was then and is now that the private sector be brought in with markets expertise. When the two year sell off failed that became the Council's preferred option.

At that stage opposition Councillors were removed from the project and the detail of the refurbishment and the business was totally in the hands of two people. Councillors Haworth and Britcliffe.

Whilst the private sector avenue was the best option, the way the Council has handled it is poor. Bully boy tactics on traders, lack of consultation, new imposed contracts that have left many stalls empty, food establishments in the wrong place.

It is currently losing around £150,000 - £200,000 pa less than it should be making. It is probably making around £50,000-£100,000 profit (though the accounts are still a mess). The failure to maximise income in the market will cost the Council tax 4% of Council Tax revenue which will have to paid for by Council Tax payers. It is affecting everyone.

If the markets problems (with traders / contracts / opening hours / food concessions) it could turn into a major problem quickly.

Little thought has been given to the money and ideas the Council have been given.

Graham I am no expert but based on what you have put the market and market hall will be lucky to survive another 3 years.

It also comes across that Mssrs Howarth and Britcliffe didnt want it in the hands of a private expert/experts as then they would have control. Because of what I would class as incompetence arrogance and glory hunting the town could end up with a white elephant.

Wynonie Harris 08-08-2010 18:01

Went in there for the first time since refurbishment yesterday...couldn't believe what they've done to it. The market hall was one of the jewels in Accrington's crown. It was the envy of other surrounding towns who demolished theirs in the 60's modernisation mania. Once it was thriving, bustling and full of atmosphere. Now it's sterile, empty and lifeless. First they ruined the outside market, now they've ruined the market hall. What a complete and utter disgrace. :( :mad:

heth 08-08-2010 18:34

i havent been in it yet but dont think i want to now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,only go in for the butchers when i can afford rather than asda meat :(

g jones 10-08-2010 21:03

Bloody difficult typing on a mobile!

It's not a disaster as yet but the councillors running the council are unable to make business decisions and a lot of money has been wasted.

I believe the market hall can be saved going along the lines that one or two have suggested.

garinda 11-08-2010 07:24

Went in yesterday.

It just seems very empty, and souless, and bereft of many of the stalls that used to be there.

The original flagged floor looks great. It's just that I'd like to see less of it, because thriving businesses were trading on it.

Gayle 11-08-2010 08:22

As far as I know all the stalls and shops upstairs will be full by Sept.

I went in to talk to the market hall boss because I need somewhere to place a couple of artists for a project. I was told I couldn't be guaranteed a stall/shop because they all, bar one, had been booked or was under discussion.

As for the music - the idea is to create a lively space. I was in Covent Garden the other week and sat in a bar having a drink when a band struck up close by. I'm not saying that Accrington Market is anything like Covent Garden and I do agree that the music needs to be appropriate, but it also needs to find its feet.

Benipete 11-08-2010 08:36

Is there a bar in there? If not there should be.It's the only way to shop.

cashman 11-08-2010 08:38

Thing is gayle wi shopping centres @ many people, First Impressions count! sorry finding its feet could be a forlorn hope.:(

garinda 11-08-2010 08:42

When I lived in London I much prefered Tooting market, rather than Covent Garden.

At one I could actually buy things I needed, on my way home from work, rather than have an Indian head massage, or not buy tourist tat.

The two stalls I regularly buy from in the Market Hall, who are still there, say trade has fallen.

By it's very definition a market is a public place where goods are offered for sale.

Services such as nail bars, and tarot reading, can't really be classed as fitting the dictionary definition of what a market is supposed to be.

That said, the floor does look great though.

Wynonie Harris 11-08-2010 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 836124)
Is there a bar in there? If not there should be.It's the only way to shop.

Excellent idea! I spend many a happy Saturday afternoon at the bar in the Arndale Market in Manchester. Pick a few bits and pieces, then have a few beers while watching the world go by. Accy Market should get one right away. Definitely, the only way to shop! :Banane35:

Mick 11-08-2010 08:51

I just wish they had found the original floor sooner then the people that tried to lay the paving stones round town would know how to do it property instead of all the loose stones there are now.
The floor looks good and is sound and nothing loose.
I was talking to one of the stall holders he used to stand on the old outside market when i was on.
he said they are waiting for the rent rise and loosing a lot of trade
the music is far to loud and tends to echo round making it hard hearing anything

garinda 11-08-2010 08:54

When it comes to what's done under the umberalla of 'improvements' in Accrington, I'm left in a state of fear.

Accrington can no longer be described as a town with a thriving market. As it was ten years ago.

The 'improved' outdoor market is a sad, pathetic, reflection of what it once was, before it was tampered with.