Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Market Hall Refurbishment (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/market-hall-refurbishment-51037.html)

garinda 11-08-2010 08:57

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 836140)
I just wish they had found the original floor sooner then the people that tried to lay the paving stones round town would know how to do it property instead of all the loose stones there are now.
The floor looks good and is sound and nothing loose.
I was talking to one of the stall holders he used to stand on the old outside market when i was on.
he said they are waiting for the rent rise and loosing a lot of trade
the music is far to loud and tends to echo round making it hard hearing anything

Lol, we say that every week.

So much for improvements.

The Victorians knew how to lay flags, and didn't have to risk life and limb, avoiding the appalling pavements Accrington has today.

The town has some of the worst pavements and walkways in the country.

Tealeaf 11-08-2010 09:23

I suppose a Champagne & Oyster bar would be out of the question...

garinda 11-08-2010 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 836161)

Corporation pop and winkle bar any good for you?

Wynonie Harris 11-08-2010 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 836161)

Tell you what, Mr T, you'd love the Micro Brewery Bar in Manc Market with its constantly changing selection of real ales and ciders. If they got summat like that in Accy Market, it might at least lift the atmosphere somewhat! ;)

Atarah 14-08-2010 11:47

Hi, just been in Market Hall this morning. Been told by more than one stallholder that, from Oct 1st they HAVE to open six days a week! HAVE TO! They DONT WANT TO! Who can tell them WHEN they can or cant open their own stalls up?

boxer22 14-08-2010 12:01

I don`t like the like the new market very much,seems to me there are less stalls than usual, the guy selling ready cooked chickens,is welcome.

Margaret Pilkington 14-08-2010 12:05

And what will happen to them if they don't?
They should all get together and tell the powers that be, to see a Taxidermist on their own behalf! or in simple parlance, to get stuffed!

cashman 14-08-2010 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 837134)
And what will happen to them if they don't?
They should all get together and tell the powers that be, to see a Taxidermist on their own behalf! or in simple parlance, to get stuffed!

Seems to me will that stupid directive, even more may up sticks n leave, ONLY in Accrington could this happen?:rolleyes:

lancsdave 14-08-2010 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 837144)
even more may up sticks n leave,

Some of them are already thinking of it :(

garinda 14-08-2010 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 837127)
Hi, just been in Market Hall this morning. Been told by more than one stallholder that, from Oct 1st they HAVE to open six days a week! HAVE TO! They DONT WANT TO! Who can tell them WHEN they can or cant open their own stalls up?

Revolution!

Just came on to post the same thing, and was told today, by five surviving long term traders, that if it is forced through, it won't cover their costs, so they'll just pack up and leave.

Apparently the person pushing for six day opening is the owner of the upstairs cafe, who happens to be the son of the Leader of the Council, one Peter Britcliffe.

:rolleyes:

If he wanted a cafe that opened six/seven days a week, perhaps he should have taken one of the many empty shops in the town centre. I'm sure he wouldn't have had any problem with planning permission.

By the way, do take time to enjoy the musicans that are now sited where there was once stalls. According to the Market Hall traders they are being funded by the public purse, via our taxes. So make sure you get your money's worth.

Perhaps we'll get them to play at the wake, when the last traditional Market Hall trader has left the building.

cashman 14-08-2010 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 837146)
Some of them are already thinking of it :(

am aware of that dave, thats why i made the comment.;)

garinda 14-08-2010 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 837264)
Apparently the person pushing for six day opening is the owner of the upstairs cafe, who happens to be the son of the Leader of the Council, one Peter Britcliffe.

Quite savvy really.

I don't suppose an interest needs to be offically declared by a councillor, when it's your son who 'owns' a commercial concern, despite what's rumoured to be the truth.

Barrie Yates 14-08-2010 16:57

When do the residents of Hyndburn get the chamce to vote PB out of office?

garinda 14-08-2010 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 837286)
When do the residents of Hyndburn get the chamce to vote PB out of office?

They don't.

That's down to me, and a few others, that live in his ward.

Or unless the balance of power changes, and his party don't have a workable majority, helped and aided by a monkey in Mayoral chains.

garinda 14-08-2010 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 837288)
They don't.

That's down to me, and a few others, that live in his ward.

Or unless the balance of power changes, and his party don't have a workable majority, helped and aided by a monkey in Mayoral chains.

When it comes to Hyndburn as a whole, he was twice rejected in General Elections.