Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Market Hall Refurbishment (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/market-hall-refurbishment-51037.html)

vera 16-04-2010 08:21

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

I used to frequent both those indoor cafes when i worked at "Animal Magic", next to the old fish market. Russell has been at the cafe for a long time now

jaysay 16-04-2010 15:08

Looking good Atarah

Barrie Yates 16-04-2010 15:36

Does anyone have any idea of a programmed completion date?

cashman 16-04-2010 16:05

Me n Taggy were weighing it up yesterday, an wondering if its gonna be filled when complete? its begining to look ok, but thats the 64,000 dollar question. it don't look that far off completion now, will ask next week when down.:)

Barrie Yates 16-04-2010 16:28

Thanks Cashy, will appreciate that.

Gremlin 16-04-2010 18:26

I went into the market hall last Saturday (10April) to get some bird seed and the upstairs was open for something or other to do with a food demo. It was the day of the food fair. I didn't bother going up to see what it was all about though as I don't do stairs.

Russell.

lancsdave 16-04-2010 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 807000)
Me n Taggy were weighing it up yesterday, an wondering if its gonna be filled when complete?

Not from what I've heard.

Taggy 16-04-2010 19:28

As Cashy says, we were in the Market Hall and looking at it, it certainly looks like they are making a good job of it, and should look really smart once finished.

However although it will certainly make shopping there a more pleasurable experience, and hopefully for those working there too, will it ultimately bring more footfall into the Town...or indeed into the Market Hall itself, i really dont think it will, and if its also put some traders out of business because they cannot afford the new rents, has it been worth all the time and expense? No matter how nice it looks...if there's empty units in there, the gloss will soon wear off. ONly time will tell!

Best Regards - Taggy

Tickler 30-06-2010 08:54

refurbished indoor market hall

anyone been in the newly refurbished indoor market yet i think it looks good and fill all the stalls is priority to make it work but hey something moving in the right direction

garinda 30-06-2010 09:46

Re: refurbished indoor market hall

It does look good.

Though traders seem sparce.

I know some have left, fed up of months of being shifted hither and thither.

Hopefully it will soon be worth going in to buy something, rather than just appreciating how nice it looks.

ruedetropal 30-06-2010 10:05

The market looks OK, but does need new traders. The main problem with inside market is cost, and rates look a bit better now, but there are some better deals on small empty shop in town.

garinda 30-06-2010 10:12

Incidentally, Cllr. Britcliffe was wrong, when in his column in last weekend's Observer, he said the Market Hall was 'Queen Anne on the outside, and Mary-Ann inside.

The outside is actually a late Victorian mish-mash of Palladian and Rococo, and Mary-Ann inside.

:D

cashman 30-06-2010 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 825346)
Incidentally, Cllr. Britcliffe was wrong, when in his column in last weekend's Observer, he said the Market Hall was 'Queen Anne on the outside, and Mary-Ann inside.

The outside is actually a late Victorian mish-mash of Palladian and Rococo, and Mary-Ann inside.

:D

not wrong confused, being a bit of a Mary Anne himself.:D

lancsdave 30-06-2010 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruedetropal (Post 825340)
and rates look a bit better now, but there are some better deals on small empty shop in town.

In which case it tells you the market rates are too dear ;)

Atarah 30-06-2010 12:45

1 Attachment(s)
Market Hall looking rather good now. Still a large open area as you walk in by front entrance door?? Maybe gonna use it for "events". The cafe at the front was "buzzing" - looked good when you walked in.
This photo taken 29th June 2010, from top end "butchers side of Market Hall" looking towards main front doors. Still some of the new stalls empty.