Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Market Hall Refurbishment (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/market-hall-refurbishment-51037.html)

katex 02-07-2010 09:59

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 825848)
Its were Cliffs was kate, as come in from wilkinsons end.;)

Thanks Cashy ... need specs obviously... :D

Wynonie Harris 02-07-2010 10:02

Looks very smart, but a bit empty...like an exhibition hall, waiting for an exhibition. Are there no downstairs stalls (apart from those round the walls) now?

Might have to come up and have a sneck soon!

garinda 02-07-2010 12:10

I think the stall holders should be made to wear traditional, Ye Olde Worlde, Mary-Ann costumes.

AccyMad 04-07-2010 15:25

Took a look in yesterday for the first time since it's been 'finished', not keen at all - it still doesn't look finished to me & has lost a lot of it's character. As others have said something proper needs doing with that large space in the middle, yesterday there was a bloke with a guitar sat singing in it but was largely being ignored cos it looked like he'd just decided to plonk himself there - not impressed, sorry

garinda 04-07-2010 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 826346)
Took a look in yesterday for the first time since it's been 'finished', not keen at all - it still doesn't look finished to me & has lost a lot of it's character. As others have said something proper needs doing with that large space in the middle, yesterday there was a bloke with a guitar sat singing in it but was largely being ignored cos it looked like he'd just decided to plonk himself there - not impressed, sorry

It would be interesting to know how many different busineses were there before, and how many there are now. It does look rather empty.

Perhaps they should give Biggy Shoe lady an indoor pitch.

:D

Gayle 04-07-2010 16:20

I had a look in yesterday and I think it looks really good. Once the main square space starts to get more used i.e. buskers and arts projects etc, which I know is the intention, it will seem better. I counted about five stall spaces that were empty, so as soon as retailers spot the potential and fill the spaces it will be something for the town to be proud of.

jaysay 04-07-2010 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 825850)
Looks very smart, but a bit empty...like an exhibition hall, waiting for an exhibition. Are there no downstairs stalls (apart from those round the walls) now?

Might have to come up and have a sneck soon!

Waiting for an exhibition Wyn, obviously cashy ain't been in yet:D

jaysay 04-07-2010 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 825864)
I think the stall holders should be made to wear traditional, Ye Olde Worlde, Mary-Ann costumes.

You can lend um some of yours G:D:p:p:p

garinda 04-07-2010 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 826363)
You can lend um some of yours G:D:p:p:p

They're being exhibited in the V & A.

;)

Ken Moss 05-07-2010 08:50

I haven't been in yet but I saw a presentation by Cllr Haworth that impressed me rather a lot and I look forward to having a mooch round.

It has cost a fair old bit to do up (the exact figure escapes me) but we've all bleated on here in the past that the council needs to do something for Accrington Town Centre so perhaps in this instance we should give it a chance.

I personally hope it becomes a roaring success.

garinda 05-07-2010 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 826494)
I haven't been in yet but I saw a presentation by Cllr Haworth that impressed me rather a lot and I look forward to having a mooch round.

It has cost a fair old bit to do up (the exact figure escapes me) but we've all bleated on here in the past that the council needs to do something for Accrington Town Centre so perhaps in this instance we should give it a chance.

I'm sure everyone hopes it's a success, and there's no doubt it looks better than it did.

Let's just hope that it's a commercial success too, and any buskers pay as much into the borough's coffers as the busineses did, who seem to have left.

cashman 05-07-2010 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 826494)

Didn't think it was the council who shelled out fer this?:confused: it is a vast improvement on the old un, but would have had a much improved chance, if commonsense had been used by "ALL" parties involved.:rolleyes:

lancsdave 05-07-2010 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 826531)
Didn't think it was the council who shelled out fer this?:confused: it is a vast improvement on the old un, but would have had a much improved chance, if commonsense had been used by "ALL" parties involved.:rolleyes:

Was jointly funded by HBC and LEGI

g jones 06-07-2010 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 826544)
Was jointly funded by HBC and LEGI

The HBC funding, £1.5m was a grant from the taxpayer/Gordon Brown under the HiPS programme.

Wynonie Harris 06-07-2010 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by g jones (Post 826817)
£1.5m was a grant from the taxpayer/Gordon Brown

...and here was me thinking that us poor old taxpayers would have had to cough up the whole £1.5m. Still, very decent of Gordon to make a contribution and lighten our load...has he got some sort of personal connection with Accy Market Hall that motivated him to act with such generosity? ;)