Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Market Hall Refurbishment (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/market-hall-refurbishment-51037.html)

pipinfort 28-07-2010 13:06

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

I think the new look market looks great, all they need now is some decent stalls in there..............

lancsdave 28-07-2010 16:51

I heard they were trying to get the traders to open 6 days a week. I guess from the photos it didn't work

SPUGGIE J 28-07-2010 19:25

Well was in on Saturday and it was about as appealing as having a tooth pulled without them numbing it first. The feel was all wrong almost like walking into a half built shopping mall. It was empty of people and there was no atmosphere. It was like walking into a bad dream. They made the mistake of getting rid of the old market thinking something new would be better and are trying it here and there is a good chance it is going to fail as well.

cashman 28-07-2010 22:13

agree with spugs, its half empty, no atmosphere, ok the work done aint bad, but its very poorly planned.can just see loads of folk trolling up those lovely stairs especially the elderly n disabled, loaded wi shopping, feel sorry fer the traders up yon, cos the small lift is impractical.:rolleyes:

Tealeaf 28-07-2010 22:18

Err..not having been there for a while now, I'm a little confused. Is the fitting out finished or not? Are workmen still in there constructing market stalls?

cashman 28-07-2010 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 832146)
Err..not having been there for a while now, I'm a little confused. Is the fitting out finished or not? Are workmen still in there constructing market stalls?

Its a bit like Stanley T, nobody really knows.:D

Tealeaf 28-07-2010 22:50

What? O'Neil is in charge of the Market Hall redevelopment?

cashman 28-07-2010 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 832153)
What? O'Neil is in charge of the Market Hall redevelopment?

Dunno, but sure looks like it.:rolleyes:

Tealeaf 28-07-2010 23:13

We will know for certain when we get an official announcement that everything will be completed in a '..matter of days'.

Atarah 31-07-2010 10:26

Just been in the Market Hall. I have to say it is definitely "growing on me", BUT ...... what loud music I walked into! Someone, in their wisdom, has put a gentleman playing an electric piano/organ, in the centre of the empty floor, but its so loud, and so old fashioned sounding! No disrespect to him or his playing, but the centre of the Market Hall is NOT the place for him. All it needs is some piped, pleasant background music. The stallholders can't hear what the customers are asking for!

Bernard Dawson 31-07-2010 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 832743)
Just been in the Market Hall. I have to say it is definitely "growing on me", BUT ...... what loud music I walked into! Someone, in their wisdom, has put a gentleman playing an electric piano/organ, in the centre of the empty floor, but its so loud, and so old fashioned sounding! No disrespect to him or his playing, but the centre of the Market Hall is NOT the place for him. All it needs is some piped, pleasant background music. The stallholders can't hear what the customers are asking for!

I think you're right Atarah.I'm all for live music, and it was worth trying as an experiment. But it just doesn't work in the market hall in my opinion.

There's to many empty spaces,and I know its not easy, but we do need more stalls.

Margaret Pilkington 31-07-2010 13:48

I think that Spuggie has hit the nail on the head. Couldn't have put it better myself.

SPUGGIE J 31-07-2010 17:36

Quote:

Good job they didnt put a bag pipe player in there then.

Tealeaf 31-07-2010 17:56

Quote:

I must confess to being a little puzzled by this remark. Surely the last thing we now want in Accy's market hall - which is one of the three jewels in the town's crown - is some pathethic musak played over some squeaky set of electronic speakers.

This place is not the ASDA or some other similar shopping hell for the mentally subnormal as they go in search of cans of spam, bacon fry or similar reconstituted meat slurry; it is a place of contemplation followed by economic activity, i.e. a market hall.

Surely the music played should therfore match it's history and as such something like a string quartet knocking out Elgar's, Mendelssohn's and Vaughn William's greatest hits would be far more appropriate?

flashy 31-07-2010 18:57

i was in there yet again this afternoon, yeah it looks ok but it also looks like no one can afford to rent stalls, there's so much empty space it looks like people have just abandoned it, the best thing in there is Slacks butchers