Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Market Hall Refurbishment (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/market-hall-refurbishment-51037.html)

jaysay 27-11-2011 08:54

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 952114)
People need to know which councillor they're paying to sit on.

Otherwise they might just go in there to pull them off

...and see exactly who it is, behind those beards.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/christma...y-ho-ho-ho.gif

Ya it will be very disappointing if you removed the beard and found it was Scrooge;)

Taggy 27-11-2011 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 952154)
Think its a case of I'm In charge Taggy

http://cdn.content.sweetim.com/sim/c...s/0002076A.gif
Maybe we'll get a visit from the three wise men too, Hear All, See All, and Say Nout:rolleyes: well they don't visit here much these days

Yup...got it in One Jaysay!

Best Regards - Taggy

garinda 27-11-2011 18:23

'Cllrs Ken Moss and Clare Pritchard will be putting questions to Cllr Peter Britcliffe regarding how taxpayers' money from across the borough has been spent'

Hyndburn Labour Group: ACCRINGTON MARKET HALL DISPUTE

I forgot, did they ever tell us, what their probing questioning revealed?

jaysay 28-11-2011 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 952261)
'Cllrs Ken Moss and Clare Pritchard will be putting questions to Cllr Peter Britcliffe regarding how taxpayers' money from across the borough has been spent'

Hyndburn Labour Group: ACCRINGTON MARKET HALL DISPUTE

I forgot, did they ever tell us, what their probing questioning revealed?

Well they certainly won't let on what our probing questions are asking that's for sure

mobertol 13-12-2011 15:21

I wonder if any of Mary Portas's recommendations to the government will be taken up by HBC to help stimulate the situation in the Town Center?

Portas is keen to tap into Cameron's "big society" ideas and widespread public enthusiasm for street parties in celebration of the royal wedding in April. To that end she will propose an annual national market day to present "new-look" high streets at their finest.

She says: "On a market stall people can try out their ideas and get their business booming without too much cost. It's great for our town centres too, bringing in fresh ideas and products, and preserving our nation's cultural heritage."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...d-to-disappear forever.

Tealeaf 13-12-2011 15:41

I think it is time that Gayle organised a Tea Dance in Accy Market. I'm sure the floor can take it - the space is there. The only problem is the cost of getting a band to show up and do the music. My guess is that would initially run to about a grand, aprox. 1/10th of some dodgy Eye-Tye third-rate cook to put on a show.

A few months ago, I saw something similar at Spitalfields Market in London. It was during the October mini heat wave on an early Friday afternoon. The BBC was filming there for a programme by Nick Robinson, which was subsequently shown on t'telly. Some of you may have seen it.

Anyway, the place was packed to the rafters with the old dears not only dancing bur using a lot of grey spending power. It seems to me that Accy Market would be ideal and that it is something that Bury, Skipton and other like and competitive markets are not doing.

susie123 13-12-2011 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 955670)
I wonder if any of Mary Portas's recommendations to the government will be taken up by HBC to help stimulate the situation in the Town Center?

Portas is keen to tap into Cameron's "big society" ideas and widespread public enthusiasm for street parties in celebration of the royal wedding in April. To that end she will propose an annual national market day to present "new-look" high streets at their finest.

She says: "On a market stall people can try out their ideas and get their business booming without too much cost. It's great for our town centres too, bringing in fresh ideas and products, and preserving our nation's cultural heritage."

It would help if Accy market hadn't been completely ruined.

Can't see that new markets will spring up - places that have markets, have them, and those that don't, don't.

It's a historical thing.

Alan Varrechia 13-12-2011 16:35

She also said that some are beyond help.:(

Margaret Pilkington 13-12-2011 17:43

I think that most are beyond help....and for her not to see this says a lot.
She has to realise that there is only so much money about.......and it doesn't amtter what you put on the High St....Gym, school, church.......(just a thought...who is going to build these schools) if folk haven't any money they (shops/markets) will fail.

jaysay 13-12-2011 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 955670)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...d-to-disappear forever.

If only people like Ms Portas could come up with the financing to back up their big ideas wouldn't the world be a wonderful place to live;)

cashman 13-12-2011 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 955706)
If only people like Ms Portas could come up with the financing to back up their big ideas wouldn't the world be a wonderful place to live;)

Thing is she was talking about New Markets etc, Many existing ones are failing- "Fact"- thats were any efforts should be concentrated, its another instance of n exhoribitant fee,paid to someone to tell us what most are aware of anyway. :rolleyes:

shillelagh 20-12-2011 00:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 955672)
I think it is time that Gayle organised a Tea Dance in Accy Market. I'm sure the floor can take it - the space is there. The only problem is the cost of getting a band to show up and do the music. My guess is that would initially run to about a grand, aprox. 1/10th of some dodgy Eye-Tye third-rate cook to put on a show.

A few months ago, I saw something similar at Spitalfields Market in London. It was during the October mini heat wave on an early Friday afternoon. The BBC was filming there for a programme by Nick Robinson, which was subsequently shown on t'telly. Some of you may have seen it.

Anyway, the place was packed to the rafters with the old dears not only dancing bur using a lot of grey spending power. It seems to me that Accy Market would be ideal and that it is something that Bury, Skipton and other like and competitive markets are not doing.

have you been and had a go on their wheel of fortune tealeaf? :D
12 Days of Christmas

jaysay 20-12-2011 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 957152)
have you been and had a go on their wheel of fortune tealeaf? :D
12 Days of Christmas

What a good idea, we could have Graham, Ken and Clare taking turns a spinning the wheel:D

Atarah 17-08-2012 21:33

Heard we are to get two new businesses into the Market Hall very soon. A shoe stall and a womens fashion stall. Cant be bad. (The Museum group may have to move into another empty space).

mobertol 17-08-2012 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 1009501)
Heard we are to get two new businesses into the Market Hall very soon. A shoe stall and a womens fashion stall. Cant be bad. (The Museum group may have to move into another empty space).

Have been very remiss- meant to ask how you went on with the petition to keep your space in the Market Hall...:)