Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Who should I vote for and why (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/who-should-i-vote-for-and-why-53086.html)

Jim Procter 05-05-2010 13:44

Who should I vote for and why

Here in my consistency in East Yorkshire we have a clown of a Conservative MP.I have voted Labour all my life and my old Dad would turn in his grave if I chaged now that I am 78.The Labour candidate has no chance and will likely lose his deposit.. so my vote will be wasted.
Do I vote Lib Dem in order to keep the aforementioned clown out? He has a fair chance of winning and keeping the Tory out.
What do you suggest?

jaysay 05-05-2010 14:50

Re: Who should I vote for and why

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Procter (Post 812431)
Here in my consistency in East Yorkshire we have a clown of a Conservative MP.I have voted Labour all my life and my old Dad would turn in his grave if I changed now that I am 78.The Labour candidate has no chance and will likely lose his deposit.. so my vote will be wasted.
Do I vote Lib Dem in order to keep the aforementioned clown out? He has a fair chance of winning and keeping the Tory out.
What do you suggest?

Do what I did Jim register a no vote, I couldn't support the Tory in Hyndburn nor could I support anybody else either

Ken Moss 05-05-2010 16:07

Quote:

Here in my consistency in East Yorkshire we have a clown of a Conservative MP.I have voted Labour all my life and my old Dad would turn in his grave if I chaged now that I am 78.The Labour candidate has no chance and will likely lose his deposit.. so my vote will be wasted.
What do you suggest?

Mr Procter, as I suggest to everyone, vote with your heart and what you feel will provide the best outcome for your area.

lancsdave 05-05-2010 16:35

I think I'll vote for anybody who has canvassed my vote at home or at the shop. anybody got any invisible ink ? :rolleyes:

BERNADETTE 05-05-2010 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 812460)
I think I'll vote for anybody who has canvassed my vote at home or at the shop. anybody got any invisible ink ? :rolleyes:

Sama as here and there are twenty nine flats in the complex. You would think it would be worth a visit:rolleyes:

DaveinGermany 05-05-2010 17:35

If you're honest with yourself, you say Labour haven't a chance, so they're a no, the Conservative is a Clown so no, you make no comment about the Lib-Dems ! are you happy with their ideas ? if so yes, if not no, on balance you'll probably come back with a no.

So as Jaysay says put a big old cross in the NO box ! you've still voted & had your say & I believe that if more people do this as opposed to voting for another party out of protest, a truer picture of the populaces views on politics & politicians will be reflected. Then maybe, just maybe those who manage to wheedle their way into power, might just start to think. Hard to comprehend I know, but perhaps ???

steeljack 05-05-2010 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 812475)
If you're honest with yourself, you say Labour haven't a chance, so they're a no, the Conservative is a Clown so no, you make no comment about the Lib-Dems ! are you happy with their ideas ? if so yes, if not no, on balance you'll probably come back with a no.

So as Jaysay says put a big old cross in the NO box ! you've still voted & had your say & I believe that if more people do this as opposed to voting for another party out of protest, a truer picture of the populaces views on politics & politicians will be reflected. Then maybe, just maybe those who manage to wheedle their way into power, might just start to think. Hard to comprehend I know, but perhaps ???

I don't believe a spoiled ballot paper really gets through the Politicians skulls as "no vote" . Think a better solution is to have a "none of the above" box on the ballot paper .... if 'none of the above' gets the most votes a new election is called with a new slate of candidates, expensive ...yes , but the district/area gets an elected leader with a proper mandate :eek:

lancsdave 05-05-2010 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 812482)
I don't believe a spoiled ballot paper really gets through the Politicians skulls as "no vote" . Think a better solution is to have a "none of the above" box on the ballot paper .... if 'none of the above' gets the most votes a new election is called with a new slate of candidates, expensive ...yes , but the district/area gets an elected leader with a proper mandate :eek:

The 'none of the above' party would be in power if it gets about 30% of the vote. democracy in this country means that whoever 60 odd % of the country don't want gets to run it :)

flashy 05-05-2010 18:33

i know naff all about politics but what i do know is ..... if you don't know who to vote for but don't want Conservatives to get in, DON'T vote for the Lib Dems, this will take a vote off Labour and end up with Conservatives getting in anyway.....ok i know that was like me telling you to vote Labour but it wasn't, it's logical really if you think about it

i know what i mean in my head

Eric 05-05-2010 19:47

Quote:

What do you suggest?

Vote according to your beliefs and principles; forget about the strategic value of voting. The process is not about "politics"; it's about your right to express yourself through your vote. And even in these shallow, selfish, and unpatriotic times, think of how much blood has been spilled, how many sacrifices have been made so that you have the right to vote.

Margaret Pilkington 05-05-2010 20:16

If voting really changed anything, they would stop us from doing it.

I am so disillusioned by the politicos.......they don't listen to what the electorate want.......they disregard the issues that worry the electorate( Mr Brown's foot in the mouth showed that all too clearly) they take us for mugs.......thinking that they can tell us what they think we want to hear......they lie, steal from the public purse.......and then want to be known as 'honourable' members.

I do not know the answer to this question, because in my eyes they are all as bad as each other.........we need a revolution.

Wynonie Harris 05-05-2010 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 812508)
If voting really changed anything, they would stop us from doing it.

I am so disillusioned by the politicos.......they don't listen to what the electorate want.......they disregard the issues that worry the electorate( Mr Brown's foot in the mouth showed that all too clearly) they take us for mugs.......thinking that they can tell us what they think we want to hear......they lie, steal from the public purse.......and then want to be known as 'honourable' members.

I do not know the answer to this question, because in my eyes they are all as bad as each other.........we need a revolution.

Right on the money, Margaret. Onwards to the barricades! :D

Margaret Pilkington 05-05-2010 20:29

I'm right behind you Mr H. :D

Gayle 05-05-2010 20:45

Vote for the party that you believe in. Don't for one minute get sucked into the lies about tactical voting, it's wrong and it's not the reason we got the vote for.

A vote is a priviledge, it's important and it's not to be wasted on trying to keep the other guy out. Use it wisely and hope that everyone in the country does the same.

Just a final word on the LibDem vote - if you do want to vote for them, then do it. If anyone else tries to get you to vote for someone else to keep someone else out, then it's a foolish thing. LibDems may not get the majority seats but if people vote for them, they may get the most votes up and down the country and ultimately may be able to force in some voting reform. If your vote is misused then no one will ever know.

It's never a wasted vote.

suedarbo 05-05-2010 21:05

I haven't had anyone canvassing at my door yet??????? They must not be bothered about my vote