Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Animating Accy (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/animating-accy-55281.html)

Gayle 17-10-2010 12:11

Animating Accy

I've started a new thread to show this film.

YouTube - 'Animating Accy'

It's an animated film that has been produced about Accrington. It’s been produced as part of the LET project. Please take the time to watch it and forward it to anyone who might be interested because it’s funny and it’s charming and it shows Accrington in a really positive way.

I hope you enjoy it.

katex 17-10-2010 13:58

Re: Animating Accy

Just watched it on Facebook, Gayle. I absolutely love it !

heth 17-10-2010 14:05

my computer is not letting me watch it???

katex 17-10-2010 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by heth (Post 852709)
my computer is not letting me watch it???

Not an expert .. do you think going direct to You Tube will help ?

Know you will love it.

heth 17-10-2010 15:20

Will try it now chuck, thanks :D

DaveinGermany 17-10-2010 15:31

A rather quaint approach to promoting the Town. I must admit, I rather liked it. :)

Miaowzinzara 17-10-2010 17:15

Lol... Heth

jaysay 17-10-2010 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 852695)

It's an animated film that has been produced about Accrington. It’s been produced as part of the LET project. Please take the time to watch it and forward it to anyone who might be interested because it’s funny and it’s charming and it shows Accrington in a really positive way.

I hope you enjoy it.

Have you had any input Gayle

Wynonie Harris 17-10-2010 19:53

I'm still trying to get my head round this. As Tealeaf says, what's the purpose of it? Is it meant to attract shoppers or tourists or industry or what? And where's it going to be shown?

Atarah 17-10-2010 21:16

Sorry, found it "a waste of space". What is the purpose of it?

andrewb 17-10-2010 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 852695)

I hope you enjoy it.

Very amusing and fun video! Makes me want to be back home.

K.S.H 17-10-2010 21:22

Well if thats Accy at its best then God help us

lancsdave 17-10-2010 21:29

As well as the aformentioned £1 a pint thing I also hope nobody watches it and turns up for the annual carnival

Sorry Gayle, I just don't get it. :confused:

Busman747 17-10-2010 21:29

I quite liked it at first but it goes on far too long - and the cost of it is probably far more than it's worth. How much did the Hyndburn website cost?? and how long did it last!

MargaretR 17-10-2010 21:32

Is this a 'thing o' purpose'?

I can't see one

Wynonie Harris 17-10-2010 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 852842)
Makes me want to be back home.

Right, that's it, ban it....immediately! :eek:

mallard 17-10-2010 22:29

yes that was good of you to make something like that a bout accrington it mite bring some back to the town

gynn 18-10-2010 01:59

I watched the film and enjoyed it......but I can't see what added value it brings. The only people it will mean anything to are already here.

garinda 18-10-2010 07:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 852881)
...but I can't see what added value it brings.

It would be really interesting to know the cost of all three commissions, before that could be evaluated.

John Flanagan 19-10-2010 06:57

Mapping Accy

Many thanks for all the information and feedback from Accrington Web that's helped me put together a new map for Accrington. Here's a preview of it so if there's anything missing or not quite right then let me know.
http://www.mappingaccy.co.uk
It's based on where people like to go and the history of the place rather than the roads and car parks. One comment is that the pubs should be highlighted as they are meeting places and are used to give direction so I'll try and work them in.

Any other suggestions?

katex 19-10-2010 08:07

I'm not totally sure if you have got the correct date (1856) for the opening of the Railway Hotel, John, is shown on maps of 1849. Still, at least it is mentioned which will suit certain people on here.:D

Would be good to have some sort of mention of The Coppice.

Mick 19-10-2010 08:11

2 Attachment(s)
Just for katex :p
The stone over the Door of the railway :D

katex 19-10-2010 08:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 853194)
Just for katex :p
The stone over the Door of the railway :D

Yeh, but this is not 1856 either ? So, why does it show on the 1849 map then ... confused.com ?

Did it get a new facade or summat ?

John Flanagan 19-10-2010 08:29

Here's what's pointed me to the Railway and I need to find out if this is the same as the Railway Hotel mentioned below but the stone over the doorway suggests not.

Accrington Historic Town Assessment Report May 2005
In 1856 the following public houses, which had all appeared since 1818, were recorded in Accrington (not including Baxenden): the Swan and the Hargreaves Arms on Abbey Street; the Commercial Inn and the Railway Hotel on Blackburn Road; the King’s Arms on Lee Street; the Adelphi Hotel on Melbourne Street; the St Leger Inn on Plantation Street, and the Castle Inn on Whalley Road.

John Flanagan 19-10-2010 08:37

The Coppice and also Oakhill, Bullough and Haworth Parks all need a mention

Benipete 19-10-2010 08:43

The date stone doesn't look original to me.It was usual to build them in to the construction,That one looks like an after thought and not a very good one.

lancsdave 19-10-2010 08:53

I think that was the date the Accyweb Research Team took residence :)

katex 19-10-2010 08:55

Remember the dispute we had re. what the Railway was called before.. :D

"Heres one which I don't think the brewery testers who gather in the Railway at the corner of Blackburn Rd & Edgar St, know what it was called before the Railways were built in Accrington in 1847.

Retlaw."

Retlaw's original remark indicates a name change around 1847, and I 'aint going to question him.:D:D

archiveuk 19-10-2010 11:57

Thanks for bringing it to our attention Gayle.

Benipete 19-10-2010 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 853195)
Yeh, but this is not 1856 either ? So, why does it show on the 1849 map then ... confused.com ?

Did it get a new facade or summat ?

No,But I think they did the front up.:confused::D:D

katex 19-10-2010 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 853273)
No,But I think they did the front up.:confused::D:D

Cheeky.

http://planetsmilies.net/angry-smiley-7995.gif

:D

Acrylic-bob 20-10-2010 14:51

Just had a look at the video, Gayle. If this is the culmination of your efforts to bring "ART" to accy then I rather fancy that you and your 'creative' chums at Creativity Works (surely a misnomer there) have been wasting your time and our money. It is trite, twee, obvious and, what is probably worse, Derivative. I think the only nearly original thing in the whole piece was the crotcheting and that was nothing to write home about. Marks out of 10....
2 for managing to get the name of the town right.

Kitkat 20-10-2010 15:56

How much did it all cost, I'm sure many people would be very interested on who funded this project and how much - does any one know?

garinda 20-10-2010 16:12

I'll try again.

I found the film to be old fashioned.

It was what Creature Comforts were doing in the early nineties, using pre-recorded interviews.

The animation didn't add to the film. It just left me wanting to see who was actually being interviewed.

As a piece of film it's unlikely to win any prizes for innovation.

Gayle 20-10-2010 16:19

The film was made by a local film company, Huckleberry Films. It was funded by the Arts Council and was commissioned by myself on behalf of Creativity Works and Hyndburn Borough Council. The cost of the film was less than £3k.

Huckleberry Films is made up of two local people who live in Accrington. They were extremely proud of the work that they had done and HBC and the Arts Council were thrilled with it as well. So far it has received praise from all quarters apart from here and has already received near 800 hits on YouTube. It has been sent all around the world.

Here are some of the quotes from emails that I have been sent.

"I just watched animating Accy, it was wonderful I have sent the link to
family and friends abroad to show them what they are missing." Partners in Policy Making

"We were all very impressed with this.
Do you know who ‘owns’ it and whether it would be OK for us to show it in the public area at the police station?" Sgt at Accrington Police Station

"Love it :o) Really love it :o) x" Accrington Stanley Football Club

"This is fantastic !! Thank you." Teacher at Accrington Academy

I haven't put their names because I haven't asked them whether I can quote them.

The purpose of the project over all is to promote the town and to support local businesses. Without a doubt it has achieved that. Along with being sent around the world it is supporting a local film company who on the back of this have been invited to an interview for another commission with a private company. This funding has helped them to develop their business. You also have to remember that the company in question is local and they spend their pound locally, so it's going directly into Accrington's economy.

I appreciate that art is subjective and you may not like it, you may think it's derivative although we prefer to say 'inspired by' but what you can not deny is that it is achieving what it set out to achieve.

I didn't ask for any posts to be removed and I didn't actually report any but I felt like it. I presume the mods removed them because some were incorrect and downright abusive. I almost asked for the whole thread and my account to be deleted but in the end decided that wasn't worth it.

lancsdave 20-10-2010 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitkat (Post 853442)
How much did it all cost, I'm sure many people would be very interested on who funded this project and how much - does any one know?

I know the question has been asked but don't recall seeing an answer. As well as the cost it would be good to know the target audience.

Gayle 20-10-2010 16:21

Oh, and by the way - the crotcheting got mentioned in the Guardian the other day, in a really positive article. Again promoting Accrington in a creative and positive way.

garinda 20-10-2010 16:42

'It was the potential for marrying art and knitting that appealed to Rachael Elwell, a fine artist based in Salford. Since discovering Sayeg in 2008 – and doing a bit of yarn bombing herself, notably a cosy for a garden shed – her work has taken a turn for the woolly. This month, she's running a project called Crocheting Accy: once a week, she sits in the indoor market in Accrington, teaching passers-by how to crochet, then transforming their creations into a floral installation. Like Sayeg, she has been amazed by people's reactions. "I've come to realise that knitting has a strong community vibe to it," she says. "Everyone's got a social connection to it."
The graffiti knitting epidemic | Art and design | The Guardian

Nero fiddled whilst Rome burned.

French peasants knitted whilst the guillotine fell.

Accrington crocheted whilst the town centre died.

Whoop-de-doo.

Miaowzinzara 20-10-2010 16:47

At least someone it trying to highlight Accrington.....

yerself 20-10-2010 16:52

It's been announced today that Arts Council funding has been cut by 30%. Hopefully we'll not have to suffer any more of this nonsense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda
Accrington crocheted

Don't you mean crotcheted?:D:rolleyes:

garinda 20-10-2010 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 853471)
It's been announced today that Arts Council funding has been cut by 30%. Hopefully we'll not have to suffer any more of this nonsense.

Don't you mean crotcheted?:D:rolleyes:

Get knotted.

;)

Acrylic-bob 20-10-2010 17:29

Isn't that what 'tatting' is, dear?

jaysay 20-10-2010 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 853452)
Oh, and by the way - the crotcheting got mentioned in the Guardian the other day, in a really positive article. Again promoting Accrington in a creative and positive way.

Take no notice Gayle it might not be my cup of tea, art isn't full stop but at least your trying to bring something different to Hyndburn, you carry on :mosher:

lancsdave 20-10-2010 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 853480)
Take no notice Gayle it might not be my cup of tea, art isn't full stop but at least your trying to bring something different to Hyndburn, you carry on :mosher:

Isn't that how your mate runs the council ? stuff everybody's opinion and carry on :rolleyes:

garinda 20-10-2010 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob (Post 853479)
Isn't that what 'tatting' is, dear?

Isn't tatting money for old rope?

Or is that macramé?

Pictures of vintage cars, made out of clock parts, now that is art.

Think I'll apply for a grant, before the funding's cut.

Putting the tick back into Hyndburn's tock.

garinda 20-10-2010 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob (Post 853436)
Just had a look at the video, Gayle. If this is the culmination of your efforts to bring "ART" to accy then I rather fancy that you and your 'creative' chums at Creativity Works (surely a misnomer there) have been wasting your time and our money. It is trite, twee, obvious and, what is probably worse, Derivative. I think the only nearly original thing in the whole piece was the crotcheting and that was nothing to write home about. Marks out of 10....
2 for managing to get the name of the town right.

Perhaps we're wrong, thee, and me, and the history books will show that great art was produced using state funding, rather than commerce.

It hasn't happened yet, but after the name check in the Guardian, perhaps we'll just have to wait and see who's eventually declared right.

katex 20-10-2010 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 853446)
I'll try again.

I found the film to be old fashioned.

It was what Creature Comforts were doing in the early nineties, using pre-recorded interviews.

As a piece of film it's unlikely to win any prizes for innovation.

Think that is a little unfair. Garinda ... sure, it is similar in style to Creature Comforts, which is the most famous one, but feel there had been something similar before.

Walt Disney is one example ... films were made in this style before 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs ', but everyone praised it as a new innovation, and lots of animators jumped on the band wagon after this for years after. Also the Magic Lantern was developed during the 16th Century by the Chinese .. was popular in the Victorian era. Look at music too ... 'styles' can last for many years: Rock, Punk, Folk, Heavy Metal, Boy Bands, etc. Painters throughout the years copied each other's brush strokes.

This style still gives me enjoyment and lots of other people, including my granddaughter who is studying animation in a modern environment, and commented that it was good and made her laugh. :p x

Less 20-10-2010 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 853490)
Think that is a little unfair.

You're allowed to think it's unfair, but it is his honest opinion and criticism is surely just as necessary for them to improve, just as praise is necessary to encourage them to continue?
:confused:

garinda 20-10-2010 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 853490)
Think that is a little unfair. Garinda ... sure, it is similar in style to Creature Comforts, which is the most famous one, but feel there had been something similar before.

Walt Disney is one example ... films were made in this style before 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs ', but everyone praised it as a new innovation, and lots of animators jumped on the band wagon after this for years after. Also the Magic Lantern was developed during the 16th Century by the Chinese .. was popular in the Victorian era. Look at music too ... 'styles' can last for many years: Rock, Punk, Folk, Heavy Metal, Boy Bands, etc. Painters throughout the years copied each other's brush strokes.

This style still gives me enjoyment and lots of other people, including my granddaughter who is studying this in a modern environment and commented that it was good and made her laugh. :p x

Made me laugh too, but I suspect for entirely the wrong reasons.

Sure, it isn't new, innovative, and isn't going to win any prizes for artistic merit.

Perhaps that's the subliminal message we are supposed to be getting about Accrington.

As stated, the animation didn't add to the interviews. It just masked the people, who I genuinely would have prefered to see. My opinion.

Some people like it. Others didn't.

That's life.

Happily my skin is thick enough, and my vocabulary wide enough, to defend myself, as a result of many years of my work being criticqued by others.

If publicly funded art isn't to have it's merits discussed, it should be kept in the dark, in a portfolio under the bed.

That's reality.

Neil 20-10-2010 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 853486)
Isn't tatting money for old rope?

Or is that macramé?

Pictures of vintage cars, made out of clock parts, now that is art.

Think I'll apply for a grant, before the funding's cut.

Putting the tick back into Hyndburn's tock.

You might get funding to restore and resite that clock, it is quite unusual. You might need to find a suitable community group to front the bid for you.

Good luck I am sure many on here will support you, many members have been saying it should be put back up somewhere.

garinda 20-10-2010 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 853498)
You might get funding to restore and resite that clock, it is quite unusual. You might need to find a suitable community group to front the bid for you.

Good luck I am sure many on here will support you, many members have been saying it should be put back up somewhere.

Thanks for your support.

The whole Arndale's going to be covered in a lovely velvet, covered with vintage cars made out of cogs.

A bit old hat, and a rip off of Christo, but hey-ho.

The community will come together as one driving force, and when we lift the velvet, the Arndale clock will be back in it's rightful place.

Tick-tock!

Where's my grant application form?

Neil 20-10-2010 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 853505)
............The community will come together as one driving force, and when we lift the velvet, the Arndale clock will be back in it's rightful place............

I suspect you will find the community will talk a good job and then take one step back when it comes to rolling the velvet out and polishing the clock

jaysay 20-10-2010 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 853485)
Isn't that how your mate runs the council ? stuff everybody's opinion and carry on :rolleyes:

The problem is Dave no matter what happens in Hyndburn its wrong, how much does it cost, hell you'd have had a field day if accy web had have been on line in the nineties, when all the silverware was sold off, and we had a council leader who was a director of 6 or 7 companies engaged in contract work for HBC;)

garinda 20-10-2010 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 853511)
I suspect you will find the community will talk a good job and then take one step back when it comes to rolling the velvet out and polishing the clock

For 'community' read three old biddies, who can use a glue gun.

It's all subjective.

Art.

;)

katex 20-10-2010 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 853495)
Some people like it. Others didn't.

That's life.

Happily my skin is thick enough, and my vocabulary wide enough, to defend myself, as a result of many years of my work being criticqued by others.

If publicly funded art isn't to have it's merits discussed, it should be kept in the dark, in a portfolio under the bed.

That's reality.

Wasn't saying you shouldn't discuss/criticise it either .... just accept my take on it too please.

Yes, your vocabulary is extensive and far superior to mine ... was just putting forward my speculations of how the man/woman in the street would see it .. including this bag woman ... :D

And to Less: Yes, of course, all 'constructive' criticism should be taken on board ... that goes without saying. This is about marketing though and, in my opinion, is doing a good job.

garinda 20-10-2010 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 853519)
Wasn't saying you shouldn't discuss/criticise it either .... just accept my take on it too please.

Yes, your vocabulary is extensive and far superior to mine ... was just putting forward my speculations of how the man/woman in the street would see it .. including this bag woman ... :D

And to Less: Yes, of course, all 'constructive' criticism should be taken on board ... that goes without saying. This is about marketing though and, in my opinion, is doing a good job.

I didn't take it personally, and your opinion is as valid as anyone else's.

That's the beauty of a forum.

No one person is superior, or better, than anyone else.

Each has an equal right to voice their opinion, as long as rules are adhered to.

Just have others have the right to agree...or disagree.

lancsdave 20-10-2010 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 853519)
This is about marketing though and, in my opinion, is doing a good job.

How is that being measured Kate ?

I'll ask again in the hope Gayle sees my question, who/waht is the target audience ? :)

Gayle 20-10-2010 18:52

Dave, I genuinely haven't seen the question.

Target audiences
Artists and the arts community
Shoppers and people who might visit Accrington, tourists
Heads of Council's around Pennine Lancashire
Leaders of Public Bodies and Organisations that work in or around Pennine Lancashire, Manchester, Liverpool
People who live along way from Accrington who might consider finding out more about the town or reminiscing about it
Promoting the town, market, shopping and Haworth

lancsdave 20-10-2010 19:13

Thanks for the reply Gayle.

Obviously I have a vested interest in the shopping side of it and being a small business probably don't count in the eyes of those who make decisions. But I'd love to know who speaks on their behalf when it comes to promoting the town, and as shown in the case of the Market traders, does anyone really listen anyway.

I guess what I'm asking is which department in HBC suggested these items as a way of promoting the town and how do they decide ?

Gayle 20-10-2010 19:25

I suggested them. And as far as value for money goes, they are extremely good value for money for the amount of publicity that they get for the town.

garinda 20-10-2010 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 853549)
I suggested them. And as far as value for money goes, they are extremely good value for money for the amount of publicity that they get for the town.

How is 'good value for money' evaluated?

garinda 20-10-2010 19:33

I quite like the map, by the way.

Printed on the back of an actual street map, and easily available from public places in the town, I can see as quite useful.

Gayle 20-10-2010 19:35

This film has already started to go worldwide. It's been sent out virally and has had 860 hits on YouTube in just 5 days.

lancsdave 20-10-2010 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 853554)
I quite like the map, by the way.

Printed on the back of an actual street map, and easily available from public places in the town, I can see as quite useful.

I agree with that. :)

Gordon Booth 20-10-2010 20:22

Whether you like this or not, there are two things I feel are wrong with it.
First- it's far too long-I had to have two tries before I could sit through the whole 13 minutes and after the first three or four minutes I felt like I'd stopped learning any more about Accy. Surely a cartoon should be short and snappy?
Second- if it's promoting Accrington why do I never get to see the town? The friendly voices with the well remembered accent are nice but the cartoon actually distracts you from listening to them.
And the target audience-artists and the arts community,heads of councils,leaders of Public bodies-why are they being targeted? With what aim in mind?
£3000 is not a lot of money but I think it misses the other three targets and won't have any effect on the three above. Well, maybe those in the first group will be amused.

Less 20-10-2010 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 853555)
It's been sent out virally

I hope people run it through their checker before watching it then, I personally use AVG Free a talented little program that looks pleasing to the eye, costs nothing but actually IS useful.
:)

garinda 20-10-2010 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 853555)
This film has already started to go worldwide. It's been sent out virally and has had 860 hits on YouTube in just 5 days.

I account for 800 of those hits.

I keep forgetting where the chavette says you can get a pint for a pound.

;)

garinda 20-10-2010 22:02

Post a picture of your dog on YouTube, but call it 'Busty bitch licks her own fanny' (bitch in a canine sense, and fanny in the American sense), and see how many hits that gets.

;)

Less 20-10-2010 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 853608)
Post a picture of your dog on YouTube, but call it 'Busty bitch licks her own fanny' (bitch in a canine sense, and fanny in the American sense), and see how many hits that gets.

;)

I take it the hound is called busty or is it in whelp?

Tealeaf 20-10-2010 22:06

I'd love to reply, Garinda,

Vicbfc 20-10-2010 22:18

I thought it was excellent :)

Stanleymad 20-10-2010 22:22

Right can we keep on topics any issue with moderations pm the mod directly, hence edit of tealeafs post. Any inappropriate postings will be subject to detetion so please think before u post should u wish to avoid this course of action. It's spoiling the thread discussion.

garinda 20-10-2010 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 853609)
I take it the hound is called busty or is it in whelp?

Busty's a three legged mongrel.

I've never sexed it, so don't know if it has an inny or an outy.

I think I'll do it now, film it, and report back tomorrow how many hits 'Rindy sexes his transneutral bitch up' has over night, after I've posted it on YouTube..

Art.

Hard work, but someone has to do it, and suffer for it, and now Bustykins will suffer too, all for the sake of art.

Less 20-10-2010 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 853621)

Hard work, but someone has to do it, and suffer for it, and now Bustykins will suffer too, all for the sake of art.

Don't lay one finger on the pooch I have 01254 231118 on my speed dial.

jaysay 21-10-2010 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 853608)

;)

Think its been done:rolleyes:

garinda 21-10-2010 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 853693)
Think its been done:rolleyes:

Another hit.

Thank you.

jaysay 21-10-2010 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 853697)
Another hit.

Thank you.

Only glad to help;)

lindsay ormerod 23-10-2010 16:59

I haven't watched and don't intend to( I've lived here for 44 years so I think I know the place well enough) but good on Gayle for doing something to promote the town instead of just sitting her jacksey and constantly whinging about the place. And yes, I know it's her job, but she must have chosen the project knowing full well the amount of flak she would get from the critical, vitriol hypocrites on here that are all too quick to knock anything even slightly left field. Keep at it Gayle!:dancedog:

Tealeaf 23-10-2010 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod (Post 854500)
I haven't watched and don't intend to( I've lived here for 44 years so I think I know the place well enough) but good on Gayle for doing something to promote the town instead of just sitting her jacksey and constantly whinging about the place. And yes, I know it's her job, but she must have chosen the project knowing full well the amount of flak she would get from the critical, vitriol hypocrites on here that are all too quick to knock anything even slightly left field. Keep at it Gayle!:dancedog:

Come on, Lindsay - name the hypocrites.

katex 23-10-2010 17:23

Well said, Lyndsay.

You forget that Gayle hasn't always anything to do with the original project sometimes, and is asked to promote what the council has done already .. no easy task. The Market Hall is a prime example.

Tealeaf 23-10-2010 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 854504)
Well said, Lyndsay.

You forget that Gayle hasn't always anything to do with the original project sometimes, and is asked to promote what the council has done already .. no easy task. The Market Hall is a prime example.

Could you possibly translate this post into the Queen's English?

katex 23-10-2010 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 854506)
Could you possibly translate this post into the Queen's English?

Anyone else have a problem with my post ? Always willing to take criticism on board ... :confused:

yerself 23-10-2010 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex
Anyone else have a problem with my post ? Always willing to take criticism on board ...:confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex
hasn't always anything to do with the original project sometimes

Could be this.:rolleyes:

garinda 23-10-2010 19:10

Quote:

My understanding of hypocrisy is saying one thing, yet believing another.

I've seen no evidence of that in this thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I didn't like the film. Some poeople do. I didn't. The animation didn't add anything to the interviews. It just left me wanting to see the actual people speaking, and I did find it a bit old fashioned.

I liked the map, as I posted.

I think the 'community art' crocheting project was a woeful, embarrassing exercise, as a piece of 'art'..

When I first mentioned the crocheting, it was in relation to the Market Hall refurbishment. When the traders were telling people it was funded by the 'council'.

I had no idea Gayle had any connection to the project.

As far as I knew, when she replied to Acrylic-bob, about what her role was at H.B.C., I thought she replied she was now creative director of the arts centre in Oswaldtwistle, and she gave the salary. Though I don't remember seeing the post advertised. I, and presumably others, don't know she now has other offical responsibilities in Hyndburn.

People are free to give their opinions, when things are posted for discussion.

I look forward to seeing any examples of hypocrisy. Just as in the other thread, about the value of commmunity arts, I look forward to finding out where the funding came from, and what fees and costs were involved, with these three promotional tools.

garinda 23-10-2010 19:22

Quote:

..quick to knock anything even slightly left field. Keep at it Gayle!

How do you know it's 'left field', if, as you say, you haven't actually watched the film, and have no intention of doing so?

Critiquing, and labelling something you haven't seen, could been seen as a tad hypocritical.

By others, I add. I hate attaching labels to people.

walkinman221 23-10-2010 19:54

To be fair i think the left field comment was aimed at the concept rather than the film itself

Loz 23-10-2010 20:33

I thought it was okay, a little bit long but at least it's something promoting accy, my main problem with it was wanting to see who was talking, i wanted to see if i knew anybody providing the voices but then again i am nosey :)

lindsay ormerod 23-10-2010 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 854527)
How do you know it's 'left field', if, as you say, you haven't actually watched the film, and have no intention of doing so?

Critiquing, and labelling something you haven't seen, could been seen as a tad hypocritical.

By others, I add. I hate attaching labels to people.

I think you know me better than that, I am just a tad disillusioned by the negativity on this whole site, no friendly banter anymore, just shooting down new members and pointless arguments . If the money is a grant for a specific purpose, then that's all it can be used for, hence the Aldo Zilli farce and to some extent if the money was there to do a film, then yes, do it, do it as cheaply as you can and with the best results.
Don't all have a go at Gayle, as Katex was saying , sometimes she has to come in and do what she can when decisions have already been made.

*Just as an aside, no longer moderating ..a) already spend far too much looking at screens and b) recent events have taught me that life is far too bloody short for all this.

garinda 23-10-2010 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod (Post 854563)
I think you know me better than that, I am just a tad disillusioned by the negativity on this whole site, no friendly banter anymore, just shooting down new members and pointless arguments . If the money is a grant for a specific purpose, then that's all it can be used for, hence the Aldo Zilli farce and to some extent if the money was there to do a film, then yes, do it, do it as cheaply as you can and with the best results.
Don't all have a go at Gayle, as Katex was saying , sometimes she has to come in and do what she can when decisions have already been made.

*Just as an aside, no longer moderating ..a) already spend far too much looking at screens and b) recent events have taught me that life is far too bloody short for all this.

Nowhere I have I 'had a go at Gayle'.

As posted, I like the map. So one out of three ain't bad, and again as posted earlier, when I first mentioned the crocheting community art project, I honestly had no knowledge she was involved in any way.

I know Gayle. I like and admire her. We are probably quite similar, in that we both passionately believe in things, but sometimes these may be different things.

I agree that humour is as sadly as scarce as hen's teeth on here, of late.

garinda 23-10-2010 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loz (Post 854540)
my main problem with it was wanting to see who was talking

That was my main point.

As a race we read peoples' faces. It's an inbuilt survival technique we've developed.

You have to be clever to overcome that desire.

You don't watch Walt Disney's classic 1937 Snow White, and want to see the voice over actress, because it's so believable as a piece of animation.

I watched the film, frustrated that I couldn't actually see those interviewed. The visuals didn't take away that craving.

cashman 23-10-2010 23:51

just watched it, was ok, bit too long, beats me what it will achieve?:confused: but fer 3K, worth a shot IMHO. P.S. the cynic in me, wonders who chose the businesses to promote n by what criteria?

Acrylic-bob 24-10-2010 07:15

Lindsay:

I can agree with the main thrust of your posts, particularly the bit about life being too short.
However, because life is so short, I think it is imperative that we seek to make the very best of what we have and ensure that what we pass on to the next generation is improved by our stewardship rather than diminished by it.
The carping and complaints surrounding this 13 minute video may be seen by some as a storm in a tea-cup whipped up by people who have little better with which to occupy themselves, and part of me would agree with that proposition; any argument is better than none if you are bored. But I also think that those who serve the public and administer the public purse must at all times be prepared to give a full accounting of their actions conducted in the public interest. To do otherwise leaves the door wide open to dictatorship.
If we are to avoid the creation of, and the evils inherant in the dictatorship of a cultural or poilitcal elite then we must be perpetually on our guard. As Edmund Burke helpfully points out: ‘The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing.’
The discussion on this particular thread may seem, on the face of it, nothing more than petty carping over a ha'porth of tar, but it goes further and deeper than that. Indeed, it goes to the heart of the democratic process itself. At a time when all areas of public expenditure are being subjected to scrutiny and the need for a pound's expenditure to represent a pound's value and worth can hardly be more pressing, it is not surprising that the hardpressed taxpayer should question those in public life who hand out public money like some latterday Bourbon king.
Gayle may be very good at what she does, though personally, I have yet to be convinced. We cannot have someone dispensing public money whenever and wherever she sees fit and prancing around Hyndburn like the Mother Theresa of the arts world without reference to the taxpayer. Because in the end, one way or another, wherever this money is sourced it comes ultimately from us, the taxpayer.
And, even Mother Theresa was accountable to the Vatican.
Garinda, not unreasonably and not impolitely, has asked where the funding for three community arts projects came from. I will now add my name to that request, and I strongly urge others to do the same.

jaysay 24-10-2010 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 854597)
just watched it, was ok, bit too long, beats me what it will achieve?:confused: but fer 3K, worth a shot IMHO. P.S. the cynic in me, wonders who chose the businesses to promote n by what criteria?

You a cynic cashy, never:rolleyes::D

Acrylic-bob 24-10-2010 13:52

Earlier in the thread Gayle said that she had received some emails regarding the video. One she quoted reads as follows:-

"We were all very impressed with this.
Do you know who ‘owns’ it and whether it would be OK for us to show it in the public area at the police station?" Sgt at Accrington Police Station

I have to ask, since no one else appears to have noticed this, wtf are the Police doing watching video's on the the internet and playing them in the public area of the police station. Do they reallly have so little with which to occupy themselves? And if they find this video so impressive what does that tell you about their taste and discernment? I note that the request comes not from an ordinary plod but from a sergeant if you please. If you ask me, somebody needs to take a closer look at the accounts of Lancashire Constabulary, to see what other of life's little luxuries they are indulging in at public expense.

More fois gras Chief Constable?

Oh Lord, I suppose so. But is that really all there is?

Tealeaf 24-10-2010 13:58

Maybe they will use the video as a form of torture in extracting confessions from the local villains.

Restless 18-06-2015 15:10

Oh I dunno. I just watched it and it made me giggle here and there. I think for the most part that is I am going to force members of my gaming community that live down south to watch this video :D