Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Accrington - Weekend tourist destination? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/accrington-weekend-tourist-destination-58847.html)

garinda 09-08-2011 17:50

Accrington - Weekend tourist destination?

The cuts are begining to be felt in Hyndburn.

Had to call in to the Town Hall today.

Wanted to check our charity's cupboard, and couldn't see the caretaker, so asked in the tourist information centre if the alarm would be on upstairs.

Got chatting.

It seems the cuts mean the Town Hall will now be closed to the public at the weekends, including the tourist information centre, and will only be staffed (by a caretaker) if someone pays to hire it.

I'm not saying money hasn't to be saved, because of the cuts we're having to endure, but it does seem odd to close the town's only tourist information centre at the weekend.

If staffing hours need to be cut, why these particular hours?

Why not close Mondays, for example, when there's probably less visitors to the town?

When I'm there, for our Parkinson's support group meetings, held on Saturdays, there seems to be a high footfall in the information centre, and it appears to be a well used facility.

It does seem shortsighted to close the tourist information centre at the weekend, when it's likely to be well used by visitors to the town.

How many tourists does Accrington get Monday - Friday, 10am - 4pm?

A daft decision, to my way of thinking.

jaysay 09-08-2011 18:13

Re: Accrington - Weekend tourist destination?

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 924852)
The cuts are begining to be felt in Hyndburn.

Had to call in to the Town Hall today.

Wanted to check our charity's cupboard, and couldn't see the caretaker, so asked in the tourist information centre if the alarm would be on upstairs.

Got chatting.

It seems the cuts mean the Town Hall will now be closed to the public at the weekends, including the tourist information centre, and will only be staffed (by a caretaker) if someone pays to hire it.

I'm not saying money hasn't to be saved, because of the cuts we're having to endure, but it does seem odd to close the town's only tourist information centre at the weekend.

If staffing hours need to be cut, why these particular hours?

Why not close Mondays, for example, when there's probably less visitors to the town?

When I'm there, for our Parkinson's support group meetings, held on Saturdays, there seems to be a high footfall in the information centre, and it appears to be a well used facility.

It does seem shortsighted to close the tourist information centre at the weekend, when it's likely to be well used by visitors to the town.

How many tourists does Accrington get Monday - Friday, 10am - 4pm?

A daft decision, to my way of thinking.

I think they could shut the toilets on Peel street on none market days to save a bit of brass;)

Okay I'll get mi coat:D

Less 09-08-2011 18:18

It won't be a problem, at the end of the week so long as we turn off all the mobile phone towers and keep a low profile, Accy will be the only place left for tourists to visit.
;)

lancsdave 09-08-2011 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 924873)
I think they could shut the toilets on Peel street on none market days to save a bit of brass;)

Okay I'll get mi coat:D

The toilets are already open market days only, all days ending in a Y ;):D

katex 10-08-2011 01:18

Couldn't agree more, Garinda ... daft.
Was only thinking on these lines meself this week .. library in Accrington, shorter hours on Saturday and the one in Clayton 10 - 12 .. others in the Borough similar.

Lots of other services similar... e.g. Post Office. Even my local butcher closes at lunch on Saturday. Ok .. doesn't matter to me now I am semi-retired, however, did when I was full time .. closed before I got home from work and Saturday mornings too busy deaing with kids, etc. (or on very rare occasions a hangover):D

jaysay 10-08-2011 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 924944)
The toilets are already open market days only, all days ending in a Y ;):D

Ya but I know one shop thats only open 5 days:rolleyes:;)

lancsdave 10-08-2011 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 925054)
Ya but I know one shop thats only open 5 days:rolleyes:;)

Actually we are open 24 x 7, you just have to know where to look ;)

jaysay 10-08-2011 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 925069)
Actually we are open 24 x 7, you just have to know where to look ;)

Oh I know where to look I'll give you a bell on Sunday at 2am:D:D

Tealeaf 10-08-2011 10:19

Maybe Accy could organise weekend mystery tours? Advertise the town as the place to visit on saturdays and sundays and then when visitors turn up there's nowt open and there's no one to tell 'em where to go....they just wonder round, aimlessly, in search of exotic delights and the pursuit of happiness and after 6 hours they get back on the coach wondering what is the meaning of it all.

jaysay 10-08-2011 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 925082)
Maybe Accy could organise weekend mystery tours? Advertise the town as the place to visit on saturdays and sundays and then when visitors turn up there's nowt open and there's no one to tell 'em where to go....they just wonder round, aimlessly, in search of exotic delights and the pursuit of happiness and after 6 hours they get back on the coach wondering what is the meaning of it all.

They could play the game desperately seeking Tealeaf:D

heth 10-08-2011 19:14

I agree, shouldnt close on a Saturday.

What happens when our recycling bags get blown away every week?? :D

Where are we gonna go and get our new recycling bags from when we work Mon-Fri?

Silly idea to be honest.

cashman 10-08-2011 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by heth (Post 925231)
I agree, shouldnt close on a Saturday.

What happens when our recycling bags get blown away every week?? :D

Where are we gonna go and get our new recycling bags from when we work Mon-Fri?

Silly idea to be honest.

Last time i did that heth they had none, n i was told to go up willows lane, tough luck if yer a dodderer n bad on yer pins.:rolleyes:

shillelagh 10-08-2011 20:29

be grateful you have a tourist information in hyndburn ... rossendale doesnt have one they shut it a few years ago..

Anger over plans to shut tourist centre by Easter | Rossendale Free Press - menmedia.co.uk

cashman 10-08-2011 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 925257)
be grateful you have a tourist information in hyndburn ... rossendale doesnt have one they shut it a few years ago..

Anger over plans to shut tourist centre by Easter | Rossendale Free Press - menmedia.co.uk

no you be grateful they shut rossendales.:D:D

jaysay 11-08-2011 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 925258)
no you be grateful they shut rossendales.:D:D

Rossendale certainly went down hill after I left in 1986:D:D