Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Today's EU question: how would you vote? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/todays-eu-question-how-would-you-vote-59637.html)

g jones 24-10-2011 10:44

Today's EU question: how would you vote?

Today's EU question: how would you vote if todays question was put to the British public. The YouGov poll last week on the motion able question which was quoted in the Daily Express was;

Out 28%
In with reform 47%
In 25% (presuming the rest?)

Benipete 24-10-2011 10:54

Re: Today's EU question: how would you vote?

I never had an issue with the original concept of trading partners but I do object to our laws being made in Brussels by unelected bureaucrats.

garinda 24-10-2011 10:59

Will this poll influence your vote tonight?

I'd have thought the three polls we've had, especially the one in the last few weeks, would have already illustrated what people think.

Deep down I still have faith.

I hope you vote that people should at least be allowed a say, via a referendum.

garinda 24-10-2011 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 942041)
Will this poll influence your vote tonight.

...and if it does, is that fair?

What about the poor sods who work for a living?

Are their votes not to be counted, because they won't be home in time to vote in yet another poll?

Graham, there's already ample evidence people are concerned, and are wanting a referendum.

There's still time to go from zero to hero.

There'd be much more kudos in being the only Labour rebel.

Might not go down too well with the party hierarchy...but it would with the people you represent.

Should people be allowed a voice on this issue?

That's really the only question to be asked, and the answer is yes.

garinda 24-10-2011 11:22

Who will history look more kindly on, as a champion of the people.

Frank Fields, or Hazel Blears?

Taggy 24-10-2011 11:34

Well its OUT for me!

Best Regards - Taggy

cashman 24-10-2011 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 942039)
I never had an issue with the original concept of trading partners but I do object to our laws being made in Brussels by unelected bureaucrats.

Thats a damn good post, i'm of the same mind, always was, shame M.P.s of all persuasions can't or won't grasp that many who do give a damn are now sick to the backteeth of Brussels n all it now entails.:(

claytonx 24-10-2011 13:07

I am for out asap

Tealeaf 24-10-2011 13:10

The real questions that our political elite have failed to answer are these:

1) Assuming the UK departs the EU, what obstacles to trade with the EU will then be placed in our way. The simple answer, as I see it, is none. There will be no tafiffs in our way (if there are, we retaliate and Europe comes off worse given the huge trade inbalance)

2) What advantages will we then have from not being a part of the EU? The simple answer is many - we recoup our net cash contribution, we control our borders, we save billions on implementing EU directives (from greenhouse gas emissions to workforce regulations), we get back our fishing grounds and we buy cheap food on the world market.

Remember this - neither Norway or Switzerland are members of the EU. That has not stopped them trading with the EU. Nevertheless, they have maintained their territorial integrity, have higher relative exports to the EU than the UK, and of course are two of the wealthiest countries in Europe.

This is a no-brainer - lets get out, now.

Boeing Guy 24-10-2011 13:48

Graham you have proved my point in a different thread. i thought you would have been better

odders 24-10-2011 16:50

Tealeaf raises 2 very good points, which I totally agree with.
Take back everything we once had, and see who comes off worse. I doubt it would be us.
I vote OUT.

Benipete 24-10-2011 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 942056)
Thats a damn good post, i'm of the same mind, always was, shame M.P.s of all persuasions can't or won't grasp that many who do give a damn are now sick to the backteeth of Brussels n all it now entails.:(

And If that Is the case why the hell are we paying 1400 idiots in the houses of parliament thousands of pounds when a little old pensioner on minimum wage could do the job just as well with an ink pad and a rubber stamp?:confused::confused::mad::mad:

jaysay 24-10-2011 17:42

I have voted out, because what we have now is not what people were asked to support years ago, the common market was fine, but a federal states of Europe is another thing, we have some 650 MPs who should be making laws the the British people should adhere too, not a bunch of unelected faceless wonders in Brussels

JCB 24-10-2011 18:49

I wouldn't vote because I support rule by our Parliamentary system , in which referendums should have no place .

As for the EU , with all its faults , I await to see an alternative that would work in practice , and would be beneficial to the country .

If someone can show me such a viable alternative I will give it due regard .

g jones 24-10-2011 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 942138)
I wouldn't vote because I support rule by our Parliamentary system , in which referendums should have no place .

As for the EU , with all its faults , I await to see an alternative that would work in practice , and would be beneficial to the country .

If someone can show me such a viable alternative I will give it due regard .

I agree. There is no out position. There is no alternative. Norway pay and don't have a say. To put at risk jobs and trade now is reckless, a total distraction and at this critical moment, undermines European growth which is already hitting the UK hard.

I would point out that when 60-70% thought we should take military action against Bin Laden I was in a small minority when I pointed out the body bags that would come home.

It is about believing in something and sticking to it until empirical evidence suggests otherwise. I believe on balence a reformed Europe is better for Hyndburn and according to YouGov, so do the majority (47%). I am prepared to lose votes - on a matter of principle - to do what I believe is right for the place I live.