Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Poppy Ban (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/poppy-ban-59774.html)

gynn 07-11-2011 03:38

Poppy Ban

What do you make of this?

England stars banned from having poppy on their kit | Mail Online

Defies belief, doesn't it.

Let's hope the Border Agency stop that odious little man Blatter when he arrives at Heathrow and turn him back as an undesirable alien.

cashman 07-11-2011 08:51

Re: Poppy Ban

I would hope the players ignore this ban n wear em.:mad:

Wynonie Harris 07-11-2011 10:26

The FA should show a bit of backbone here and tell the players to take to the field wearing 'em anyway. But obviously, they won't. :rolleyes:

jaysay 07-11-2011 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 945706)
I would hope the players ignore this ban n wear em.:mad:

Wouldn't be allowed to wear a conventional one with a pin cashy elf and safety ya know

jaysay 07-11-2011 10:29

Don't think FIFA's argument flies really with regards to other nations wanting to do the same

lancsdave 07-11-2011 10:30

The easiest way round it is to offer Blatter a bigger bribe

mobertol 07-11-2011 12:51

Why did they have to ask? I bet no-one would have noticed if they'd just turned up with shirts + poppy emblem...

Blatter is a bit of a hate figure -something about his name? I was told an annecdote about him by an adult student of mine some years ago which shows him in a nice light...She was the secretary of one of the top management of SKF in Italy, at a conference she was taking a lift and was hurled out of the way by a couple of Seth Blatter's body-guards. He saw what happened and stopped to ask if she was OK and apologised -he asked her name. That evening when she got back to her room there was a massive bouquet of flowers awaiting her and a hand-written apology... He can't be all bad!

davemac 07-11-2011 22:52

its the dilution of national pride, we are told you cant wear poppies on the field, staff cant wear poppies in the shop. certain groups mock the heros who return from afghanistan, burn poppies. what happens, a lot of tutting but no real action from the authorities.

lancsdave 07-11-2011 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 945910)
its the dilution of national pride, we are told you cant wear poppies on the field,

This isn't a national issue though. In actual fact the FA make all premier league clubs wear a poppy shirt every year.

davemac 07-11-2011 23:08

the banning of poppies generaly is though, its a combination of two threads, this one, and the banning of poundworld and bodycare staff from wearing them. so I wasn't just commenting on football but the poppy issue accross the board.

Bonnyboy 07-11-2011 23:48

Get your poppy and wear it with pride, as they say, whoever you are whatever your job.

Not sure about those "blinged up" ones I'm seeing on X Factor or what the celebs seem to have. Having said that, if they cost more and all the proceeds go to into the same cause it has to be all good.

jaysay 08-11-2011 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnyboy (Post 945936)
Get your poppy and wear it with pride, as they say, whoever you are whatever your job.

Not sure about those "blinged up" ones I'm seeing on X Factor or what the celebs seem to have. Having said that, if they cost more and all the proceeds go to into the same cause it has to be all good.

Totally agree Bonnyboy, notice on presenter on BBC Breakfast with a glittery one, when you buy a poppy its a mark of respect, there isn't a price put on the poppy its a matter of what you can afford, yet these glitzy poppies being worn by some celebs is more about them telling the public that they have contributed to the appeal, to me just an ordinary poppy would suffice, no matter what you contribute be it £1 or £100 its the action of buying one that counts not how much you want other people to think you've paid for one

groove 08-11-2011 14:54

Groove understands that FIFA have a blanket ban on any emblem that could be seen as political/religous. Although Groove wears his poppy with pride, he defies the desire to be outraged at every opportunity. The Royal British Legion accepted this decision with a dignified equiesce(sp).....for example, what if a country like Iraq, EIRE, Argentina etc decided to honour they're fallen heroes similarly. Groove noted that the Daily Mail were first to run with this story, a newspaper reknowned for its xenophobic propoganda.

mobertol 08-11-2011 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnyboy (Post 945936)

I bought a tiny metallic one in Accy library last week - no-one knows what they are over here in Italy but it gets people curious and some have asked where they can get one!

Margaret Pilkington 08-11-2011 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 945731)
Wouldn't be allowed to wear a conventional one with a pin cashy elf and safety ya know

Why couldn't the England team wear an armband with a poppy on it?
No health and safety issues there.
Or wear a vest with a poppy printed on it......all the England team to remove their shirts at the end of the match(which most of them do anyway) and show their pride for the bravery of past and present service people.