Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2015, 06:40   #46
Full Member+

Re: 5p for a carrier bag

Climate change has been going on for millions of years, how else did we get from an Ice Age to a temperate climate?
maxthecollie likes this.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-10-2015, 07:41   #47
Mog

Well would you believe it. Just coming home from town and I found an England Rugby shirt in a Tesco,s plastic bag. Didn't know what to do with it so I threw it in the dust bin. Thinking about it. What a waste of a 5 pence plastic bag.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:02   #48

Yeah, you should have kept the bag
Mog likes this.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 13:57   #49
Senior Member+

Popped into Asda this afternoon for a few things.
Asked the girl 'How's charging for the bags going'?
OK she said, usage well down.
BUT- she had one guy this morning started screaming and shouting at her wanting to charge him 5d a bag. Manager came, couldn't calm him, security had to eject him. He's banned now. I can't believe he didn't know about the charge and what a fool to get so worked up!
accyman likes this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 14:01   #50
Beacon of light

I heard a similar story in town today.
Where have these people been? How can you avoid seeing all the notices in the shops....on the TV too.
I just think some people believe if they make a big enough fuss then they will get a bag free.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 14:01   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
Climate change has been going on for millions of years, how else did we get from an Ice Age to a temperate climate?
mammoths left the fridge door open a night and sabertooth tigers refused to recycle ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 14:03   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Popped into Asda this afternoon for a few things.
Asked the girl 'How's charging for the bags going'?
OK she said, usage well down.
BUT- she had one guy this morning started screaming and shouting at her wanting to charge him 5d a bag. Manager came, couldn't calm him, security had to eject him. He's banned now. I can't believe he didn't know about the charge and what a fool to get so worked up!
so now he will have to shop at aldi or lidel where they have been charging for bags since they opened many years ago lol

ps:

no idea where the pic was taken i think its a joke picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asda.jpg (49.2 KB, 22 views)

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 06-10-2015 at 14:13.
Old 06-10-2015, 14:18   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
how else did we get from an Ice Age to a temperate climate?
Well, maybe it's time to do a little reading if you are remotely interested. There's a "Global Warming for Idiots" that is fun and informative. (In fact, all the "Idiots' Guides" and "Dummies" books are worthwhile reads ... I read "Algebra for Dummies" and got more out of it in five minutes than I did from a whole year of E. J. Owen.) But what climate change deniers are denying is that human activity is affecting the climate ... that increasing amounts of carbon dioxide are entering the atmosphere from industrial activity, (particularly in the emerging economies of China, India, and Brazil,) deforestation, farts from over seven billion people, and all that kinda stuff. Denying climate change is like denying that the Holocaust happened ... faced with mountains of evidence ... photographic, documentary (even the minutes of the Wannsee Conference are available) some folks just say "Nah ... didn't happen. Just another Jewish conspiracy." Denying climate change is an ideological point of view, and it has nothing at all to do with scientific research, most of which is ideologically neutral. This planet is a dangerous, unstable place ... the Universe is even scarier ... human activity is quickly making things worse.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 18:05   #54
Beacon of light

I cannot argue with the deforestation issues, but as far as other things go....the scientists have been producing statistics that have been shown to be flawed.
And really, if governments were serious about making sustainable energy a central issue, surely they would choose to invest in something which is more efficient than those useless wind turbines.....they have to be switched off when the winds are too high. How ridiculous is that.

Recycling, well that is something I have always done.
I grew up just after the war and we never threw anything away which could be re-used.
We recycled long before there was a requirement to do so.

There has always been fluctuations in climate.....the ozone layer was supposed to have a thundering great hole in it.....but this over the last few years seems to have got smaller.

What is the point exactly of us trying to limit CO2 emissions when what we produce is something in the region of 2%.......while India and China do not sign up to any kind of control over their industrial emissions.
You may say that every little helps, but my question is.....does it?
I do not deny the holocaust.
Nor do I see my view as being ideological. I am just very very sceptical of research, researchers, research methods.....because in the main they tend to prove what the commissioners of the research want it to show.
Barrie Yates likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 18:42   #55
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
no idea where the pic was taken
Probably Liverpool, the guy (back left) is trying to have his trainers away!
Old 06-10-2015, 21:02   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Probably Liverpool, the guy (back left) is trying to have his trainers away!
ill just check but i dont think you can be scousist yet although scouse may now fall under race category

at least you didnt suggest they wouldnt have tried nicking his footwear if he had been wearing work boots
DaveinGermany likes this.

Old 06-10-2015, 21:06   #57
God Member

i do hope the 5p charge dosnt apply to all plastic bags if folk with a colostomy get a bout of the shats it could bankrupt them

Old 07-10-2015, 05:27   #58
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
ill just check but i dont think you can be scousist yet although scouse may now fall under race category

Being a denizen of said metropolis, what I say doesn't count.

at least you didnt suggest they wouldnt have tried nicking his footwear if he had been wearing work boots

This comment mind, will have the offendee nazis after your arse.
Give it time mate, give it time.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:52   #59
Full Member+

I never denied that climate change is happening and neither did I deny the Holocaust but I am at a loss as to the latter's relevance to this debate.

I don't doubt that man's actions are speeding up the effect but the point I was making is that climate change would happen anyway otherwise we would still be under a thick sheet of ice. As micro-organisms started to grow they emitted gases which started to affect the chemical balance of the earth. This effect continued to increase for millions of years as new species started to evolve. Man's contribution to the effect has been much faster but the effect itself was around long before man had evolved. The climate of the earth would still be changing even if man had never set foot here.

Volcanos spewing millions of tonnes of toxic gases into the atmosphere have had far more of an effect than man could ever do and have been a major cause of our planet's evolution and topography. Everything in nature evolves and as time passes, other effects will be noticed, as the sun loses it's mass by burning off energy, the ice caps will melt, sea levels will rise and changes in tidal streams will affect weather patterns.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 16:14   #60
Senior Member+

I am sure back in 80's some supermarkets charged for stronger bags anyway as i recall.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..