Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Cruising (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/cruising-60405.html)

grannyclaret 15-01-2012 14:18

Re: Cruising

i cant swim either Margaret,,,,but you will go when your number is up....no choice ....lol
Although my late hubby who would not fly said.It might be someone elses number up,,and he didnt fancy going too

Eric 15-01-2012 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 962697)
Ah, we're talking about boats ........ thought the LGBT had infiltrated the site & posted in the wrong section. :D

Now who else can I offend before the thought police/PC Nazis start screaming for me to be strung up.

:D:D:D

Those great main drag (no pun) scenes in American Graffiti came to my mind when I read the title. Oh for the days when I went trolling for broads in my Cougar XR7 convertible, 8 track blaring away.

Margaret Pilkington 15-01-2012 14:25

Eric, I have a very pictorial imagination...but, that is a picture no artist could paint :)

Eric 15-01-2012 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 962706)
Eric, I have a very pictorial imagination...but, that is a picture no artist could paint :)

You have to imagine about 40 years ago.;)

Margaret Pilkington 15-01-2012 14:30

Yes, I was around then...can do that...bloody hell, Eric...... the babe magnet:D

Margaret Pilkington 15-01-2012 14:31

Sorry....I forgot it was Sunday...pardon the mild expletive...perhaps I should have said 'Blood and sand' :)

Eric 15-01-2012 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 962710)
Yes, I was around then...can do that...bloody hell, Eric...... the babe magnet:D

Aw, thanks hon. Most people would have given all the criedit to the car;)

But ... to get back on topic sort of: why are folks referring to this accident as a "tragedy"? So many things these days are deemed tragedies that "tragedy" has lost all meaning. Somehow, a cruise ship ran into Italy. A few folks died. Admitedly, and I'm not without sensitivity or compassion, this is terrible for their families, loved ones, and friends. But a tragedy?

Margaret Pilkington 15-01-2012 15:34

for the families it is a tragedy(they went on holiday and died)...for the rest of us it is just an accident that we are far removed from.....it is all relative Eric.

Margaret Pilkington 15-01-2012 15:35

I guess if you had lost someone you cared greatly about, you would see it differently.

Eric 15-01-2012 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 962732)
I guess if you had lost someone you cared greatly about, you would see it differently.

The point I was trying to make was that, for the media, everything is becoming a tragedy, to the point where "tragedy" is now meaningless, a term thrown out whenever something bad happens.

Gordon Booth 15-01-2012 16:00

I love it when at the safety demo they tell you to cross your arms, hold your nose and then jump thirteen floors or more (150 feet?) into a force 10 gale! Better than bungy jumping!
I can't work out how holding my nose helps, although crossing my arms must be better than crossing my fingers.
Then they tell you the little whistle is to summon help! You're in the middle of the Atlantic surrounded by 30 foot waves and icebergs but don't forget your whistle.
I still risk it, I like cruising and I look after my little whistle!

mobertol 15-01-2012 16:05

It is certainly a disaster - but I'm sick of this accident being compared to the Titanic, nothing else is on the news at the moment in Italy. It isn't remotely similar except that a ship hit something that it shouldn't have. Oh, and according to the British ambassador the English passengers behaved with typical British stoicism which is sinilar i suppose. I imagine the general pandemonium there seems to have been was mainly down to the Italians -no good at queueing up and behaving in an orderly fashion.

My parents have been on the Concordia and over the years have cruised their way round much of the globe. They gave up a couple of years ago as the air conditioning gave them both bronchitis and they ran out of new destinations. It seems to be a popular type of holiday and for older people is a good way of travelling and seeing different places. Doesn't appeal to me though I must admit.

They didn't actually bump into Italy, but into some rocks between the Isle of Giglio and the coast of Tuscany then tried to get into a port. Amazing when you think of the sophisticated technology they have onboard - the inquest will hopefully find out what really happened but much suspicion falls on the Captain and his first officer. The truth will come out in the end and I dread to think of the insurance costs of an accident like this one.

Margaret Pilkington 15-01-2012 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 962737)
The point I was trying to make was that, for the media, everything is becoming a tragedy, to the point where "tragedy" is now meaningless, a term thrown out whenever something bad happens.

Yes, I got your point Eric.

Boeing Guy 15-01-2012 16:37

It seems that some have already decided where the fault lies. The Captain and First Officer have been arrested.
I wonder if they will end up in prison.
For many years, here in aviation, we tried to have a no blame, positive safety culture. But now, like everything else, we blame...
If the ships officers made mistakes, will we learn anything by sticking them in jail?

Eric 15-01-2012 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boeing Guy (Post 962751)
It seems that some have already decided where the fault lies. The Captain and First Officer have been arrested.
I wonder if they will end up in prison.
For many years, here in aviation, we tried to have a no blame, positive safety culture. But now, like everything else, we blame...
If the ships officers made mistakes, will we learn anything by sticking them in jail?

Probably won't learn much at all ... but, in this media mad world, there seems to be a need for a fall guy. And the only place they seem to look is on the bridge, or on the flight deck.