Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/should-we-legalise-illegal-drugs-poll-60990.html)

DaveinGermany 27-04-2012 05:11

Re: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 987791)
He says decriminlize drugs, in other interviews - is legalize it the same:confused: :do-one:

No. :)

Definition of DECRIMINALIZE

transitive verb
: to remove or reduce the criminal classification or status of; especially : to repeal a strict ban on while keeping under some form of regulation <decriminalize the possession of marijuana>

Definition of LEGALIZE

transitive verb
: to make legal; especially : to give legal validity or sanction to

Eric 27-04-2012 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 987796)

Definition of DECRIMINALIZE

transitive verb
: to remove or reduce the criminal classification or status of; especially : to repeal a strict ban on while keeping under some form of regulation <decriminalize the possession of marijuana>

Definition of LEGALIZE

transitive verb
: to make legal; especially : to give legal validity or sanction to

Problem is that some folks are opposed to decriminalization, not because it doesn't make sense and has obvious advantages ... not only in the "user" countries (developed "western" nations), but also for those countries where drugs are produced ... but because they see it merely as a step on the way towards legalization. This is, however, not necessarily the case.

AccyChris 27-04-2012 16:50

NO

this might suprise some folk on here who think im just a junkie but i don't think 'THEY' should legalize illegal drugs ;)

DaveinGermany 27-04-2012 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 987796)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 987838)
Problem is that some folks are opposed to decriminalization, not because it doesn't make sense and has obvious
advantages ...

My "No", wasn't meant as a response to decriminalization, it was in response to the question; is decriminalize the same as legalize ? :)

As to legalizing, I can see both sides & as Holland is a regular destination for us here I can quite readily see how it works for them, talk to those involved & see the problems & advantages of their system.

That said, the Dutch Government are tightening their rules & licensing procedures for their "Coffee Shops". Also there is a vast difference in the mentality & attitudes of the imbibers of NL compared to the UK consumers.

Eric 27-04-2012 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 987866)
My "No", wasn't meant as a response to decriminalization, it was in response to the question; is decriminalize the same as legalize ? :)

As to legalizing, I can see both sides & as Holland is a regular destination for us here I can quite readily see how it works for them, talk to those involved & see the problems & advantages of their system.

That said, the Dutch Government are tightening their rules & licensing procedures for their "Coffee Shops". Also there is a vast difference in the mentality & attitudes of the imbibers of NL compared to the UK consumers.

Oh, I was just adding a comment. I know what you meant.

Maybe the consumer attitudes are the product of government attitudes. I do believe that governments will become more likely to liberalize (at least) marijuana laws as time passes. I think we are reaching the point where most legislators have had a toke. What was it Clinton said: Something like "I tried marijuana once, but I didn't exhale":rolleyes:

As an aside, I like the Dutch; they are laid back like us. Did you know that Princess Margriet was born in Ottawa? And the Dutch have never forgotten that it was the Canadian Army which booted the krauts out of Holland. Every year, they send us flowers .... thousands of tulips.:dancedog:

DaveinGermany 27-04-2012 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 987868)
As an aside, I like the Dutch; they are laid back like us. Did you know that Princess Margriet was born in Ottawa? And the Dutch have never forgotten that it was the Canadian Army which booted the krauts out of Holland. Every year, they send us flowers .... thousands of tulips. :dancedog:

Me too, every second week-end we go over, fill up the car, bit of shopping, some scoff, nip in on friends say hello & grab a brew. :) No didn't realize that. And yes, very respectful & thankful to us Brits too for our part in their liberation, decent people the Dutch.

Even visited one of their "Coffee shops" with a friend (out of curiosity on my part) came out feeling somewhat peculiar, just from breathing in the atmosphere, most definitely not for me thank you. :rolleyes:

Eric 27-04-2012 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 987870)
Me too, every second week-end we go over, fill up the car, bit of shopping, some scoff, nip in on friends say hello & grab a brew. :) No didn't realize that. And yes, very respectful & thankful to us Brits too for our part in their liberation, decent people the Dutch.

Even visited one of their "Coffee shops" with a friend (out of curiosity on my part) came out feeling somewhat peculiar, just from breathing in the atmosphere, most definitely not for me thank you. :rolleyes:

Margriet's birth posed a few legal, constitutional, and, possibly, dynastic problems. These were resolved by the Canadian government's declaring the maternity ward of Ottawa Civic Hospital extra-territorial to Canada. Therefore, Magriet was officially born in international territory, thus taking the nationality of her mother. I love reading about this stuff when I'm stoned;):D

annesingleton 27-04-2012 20:17

I honestly think that if any of you had had the day I have at work, you wouldn't be promoting the legalisation of cannabis or any other drug.

Wynonie Harris 27-04-2012 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by annesingleton (Post 987884)
I honestly think that if any of you had had the day I have at work, you wouldn't be promoting the legalisation of cannabis or any other drug.

Have you thought about applying to the lap dancing club?

Eric 27-04-2012 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by annesingleton (Post 987884)

There's always booze and comfort food;):D

Restless 27-04-2012 20:57

Anne. What kind of day have you had?

I am going back to what I have said before-- I was basically saying that people really need to stop classing cannabis with other illegal drugs.

People really NEED(capitals for emphasis) to be properly educated about cannabis. I think of cannabis like I think of alcohol. Both are drugs, both can be bad for you. Used in moderation, both are safe. Well Alcohol is dangerous to those uneducated in its use and then you can get carried away...factually I can't say the same for cannabis(untouched clean source, not plastic and chemicals), since I don't know of any instances where people have died from it.

I have never

Attacked anyone
Robbed anyone
Raped anyone
Burgled houses
Smashed their property for no reason
Beat a woman up
I am not racist, sexist or homophobic-- I have not been accused of racist hate etc
ETC

I used to smoke lots of cannabis everyday for 6 years and I never committed any of these crimes. But people are educated to believe that because cannabis is an illegal drug, the users will commit crimes like this. But yet. Alcohol can be the cause of at least 4 or 5 of the above crimes.

*Awaits red karma*

AccyChris 27-04-2012 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 987895)

I am going back to what I have said before-- I was basically saying that people really need to stop classing cannabis with other illegal drugs.

People really NEED(capitals for emphasis) to be properly educated about cannabis. I think of cannabis like I think of alcohol. Both are drugs, both can be bad for you. Used in moderation, both are safe. Well Alcohol is dangerous to those uneducated in its use and then you can get carried away...factually I can't say the same for cannabis(untouched clean source, not plastic and chemicals), since I don't know of any instances where people have died from it.

I have never

Attacked anyone
Robbed anyone
Raped anyone
Burgled houses
Smashed their property for no reason
Beat a woman up
I am not racist, sexist or homophobic-- I have not been accused of racist hate etc
ETC

I used to smoke lots of cannabis everyday for 6 years and I never committed any of these crimes. But people are educated to believe that because cannabis is an illegal drug, the users will commit crimes like this. But yet. Alcohol can be the cause of at least 4 or 5 of the above crimes.

*Awaits red karma*

:eek: only green from me if i could be bothered to learn how to send it ;)

annesingleton 28-04-2012 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 987892)
Have you thought about applying to the lap dancing club?

Yes I'm having lessons but just a bit scared of pulling the pole down when I turn upside down on it!

annesingleton 28-04-2012 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 987894)
There's always booze and comfort food;):D

Yes I know, that's why the lap dancing pole might bring the ceiling down when I start working in the new club!

annesingleton 28-04-2012 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 987895)

I had a very difficult day Restless, thanks for asking, and I appreciate your other points - I know that a lot of people function ok whilst using cannabis regularly, I know some people personally who do but I know that for others it completely messes their lives up - and I know that legal substances do the same but that's not an argument for legalisation to me.