Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/should-we-legalise-illegal-drugs-poll-60990.html)

DaveinGermany 06-05-2012 15:26

Re: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll.

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 990003)
it may have been metioned already but amsterdam has tightened up use of canabis so non nationals will no longer be able to smoke canabis legaly in amsterdam.

They've been talking about it for a while now, but it wasn't until the start of this month that it was put into practice.

BBC News - Dutch cannabis cafe owners fight changes

Restless 06-05-2012 15:50

Perhaps all drug use should be made illegal. Including coffee, tobacco and alcohol

Less 06-05-2012 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 990027)
Perhaps all drug use should be made illegal. Including coffee, tobacco and alcohol

Thats causing us to go back around again.
It's been suggested both in this and the other never ending drug story.
:o

accyman 06-05-2012 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 990010)
They've been talking about it for a while now, but it wasn't until the start of this month that it was put into practice.

BBC News - Dutch cannabis cafe owners fight changes

yeah but according to EU law all citizens of the EU get equall treatment as the hosting nations citizens whch isnt the case here as it is one rule for them and another one for other EU members.The UK wouldnt get away with this yet they have just like the French do when they defy the EU.I really cant fathom why the UK follows the EU so blindly when it is evident other nations dont and recieve no punishment for not doing so.It seems to me our government is between a rock and a hard place with the rock been up americas backside and teh hard place been up the EU's backside.I dont think our government actually has any time to govern its too busy following outsiders orders :rolleyes:

As for legalising drugs all i can see is that teh war on drugs has been fought since before i was born and is showing no signs of been won so although i dont advocate surrender something needs doing to remove the criminal and terrorist element of drug suppliers.If it isnt proffitable for them they wont do it so maybe a government program of some sort that will cause it to be not so desireable or finacially beneficial needs to be addressed.

govenment has made smokers ot to be scum of society it shoudlnt be too hard

Restless 06-05-2012 16:37

Yeah. There was a joke in there somewhere :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 990031)
Thats causing us to go back around again.
It's been suggested both in this and the other never ending drug story.
:o

Eric 06-05-2012 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 990033)
yeah but according to EU law all citizens of the EU get equall treatment as the hosting nations citizens whch isnt the case here as it is one rule for them and another one for other EU members.The UK wouldnt get away with this yet they have just like the French do when they defy the EU.I really cant fathom why the UK follows the EU so blindly when it is evident other nations dont and recieve no punishment for not doing so.It seems to me our government is between a rock and a hard place with the rock been up americas backside and teh hard place been up the EU's backside.I dont think our government actually has any time to govern its too busy following outsiders orders :rolleyes:

As for legalising drugs all i can see is that teh war on drugs has been fought since before i was born and is showing no signs of been won so although i dont advocate surrender something needs doing to remove the criminal and terrorist element of drug suppliers.If it isnt proffitable for them they wont do it so maybe a government program of some sort that will cause it to be not so desireable or finacially beneficial needs to be addressed.

govenment has made smokers ot to be scum of society it shoudlnt be too hard

You are dead right about the war on drugs ... And I'm willing to bet there are thousands of poor, frightened folks in places like Mexico, Colombia, and Honduras who would like to see legalization. The demand is not going to go away, believe it.

annesingleton 06-05-2012 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by annesingleton (Post 989651)
Does that make it ok?
I can only go from my own experiences and as far as I'm concerned cannabis and other illegal drugs including mephedrone - or bubble - do far more harm than good. I can't really say anything else about it, there really isn't much to advocate for legalising illegal substances in my opinion.
If anyone can evidence that drug use is beneficial to either individuals or to society, I'd like to hear it.

I'm repeating myself!

Eric 06-05-2012 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by annesingleton (Post 990096)
I'm repeating myself!

We all do eventually, it's a Finnegans Wake thingy. Oh, and I don't know if this is the kind of evidence you are looking for, but this is how things go in The Great White North:

Who Is Eligible | Medical Marijuana

susie123 06-05-2012 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 990109)
We all do eventually, it's a Finnegans Wake thingy. Oh, and I don't know if this is the kind of evidence you are looking for, but this is how things go in The Great White North:

Who Is Eligible | Medical Marijuana

Eric, I'd no idea there was such a thing as medical marijuana in Canada. Just shows what a great country it is. As far as I'm aware over here the only way you can get the stuff is as a medicine called Sativex which is basically a liquid cannabis extract, licensed for some of the same conditions as described in the link you posted. I have shares in the company that makes it and they have had over ten years of jumping through all sorts of medicolegal hoops to get to this stage. Interestingly the first country in which it was licensed for sale was Canada...

Eric 06-05-2012 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 990110)
Eric, I'd no idea there was such a thing as medical marijuana in Canada. Just shows what a great country it is. As far as I'm aware over here the only way you can get the stuff is as a medicine called Sativex which is basically a liquid cannabis extract, licensed for some of the same conditions as described in the link you posted. I have shares in the company that makes it and they have had over ten years of jumping through all sorts of medicolegal hoops to get to this stage. Interestingly the first country in which it was licensed for sale was Canada...

You realize tho' that Canada is off the radar as far as most folks in the world are concerned ... no one, apart from the ever grateful Dutch, knows who we are, and what we are all about. We have medical marijuana, gay marriage, no abortion law (it's a matter between a patient and her doctor, other than paying for the procedure, the state has no input) and, in Ontario, legal whorehouses:theband:
Canada court ruling would allow legal brothels | Top News | Reuters

Eric 14-05-2012 16:46

And here's another potential use for medical marijuana:

Smoking pot may help relieve MS pain - Health - CBC News

Margaret Pilkington 14-05-2012 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 991661)
And here's another potential use for medical marijuana:

Smoking pot may help relieve MS pain - Health - CBC News

This has been known for many years and in fact medicinal cannabinoids were formulated for this very reason........are available in spray form.
I have been retired now for 10 years, and medical trials were being done a good while before I left the NHS.

Eric 14-05-2012 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 991662)
This has been known for many years and in fact medicinal cannabinoids were formulated for this very reason........are available in spray form.
I have been retired now for 10 years, and medical trials were being done a good while before I left the NHS.

Why did you retire so young?

Margaret Pilkington 14-05-2012 17:15

I didn't retire particularly young....anyway, which patient wants to have an arthritic old bird trying to run to their assistance with the 'crash' trolley.(not that I was arthritic)

I retired at 55 Eric. There were so many meddlesome government targets that meant nothing to the care of patients.......made the lives of nurses more difficult.......so I had paid into my pension and decided to get, while the going was good.(it was a good decision, and I'm glad I'm out of it)
I had had a long and very satisfying career...looked after many women...and later their daughters too...taught lots of student nurses....in general felt I had done my bit

jaysay 14-05-2012 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 991665)
I didn't retire particularly young....anyway, which patient wants to have an arthritic old bird trying to run to their assistance with the 'crash' trolley.(not that I was arthritic)

I retired at 55 Eric. There were so many meddlesome government targets that meant nothing to the care of patients.......made the lives of nurses more difficult.......so I had paid into my pension and decided to get, while the going was good.(it was a good decision, and I'm glad I'm out of it)
I had had a long and very satisfying career...looked after many women...and later their daughters too...taught lots of student nurses....in general felt I had done my bit

That was a pity Margaret, I prefer the old brigade when I'm in hospital, those who are there for all the right reasons, you can't teach caring at university:rolleyes: