Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/should-we-legalise-illegal-drugs-poll-60990.html)

cashman 01-09-2012 17:55

Re: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1012034)
have to say I have been giggling to my self on the way to the asda and back with this one

I would've thought you had seen the alcohol/canal thread

I have seen that thread but it aint this un nor in this section,so i ignored it. But yer beginning to worry me, yeh aint just giggling to yerself...........but going asda.:eek::D

Restless 01-09-2012 17:57

You don't like asda? I just nipped down with a friend. I thought of the comment and it made me giggle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1012036)
I have seen that thread but it aint this un nor in this section,so i ignored it. But yer beginning to worry me, yeh aint just giggling to yerself...........but going asda.:eek::D

I didn't think thread wandering mattered here anymore? ;)

garinda 01-09-2012 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1012025)
TSo the long term effects might vary from person to person?

If you're able to, re-read the thread again.

I've certainly never said anything that would contradict your open question.

If you can, concentrate, and see what I've actually posted, many, many times.

You'll see that in reality what I said is that there's some risk taking recreational drugs, and it's nothing to do with quality control.

Some users suffer very little debilitating side effects, and not all 'soft' drug users go on to become addicted, and dependent on drugs such as heroin.

Although a minority will.

A risk that will increase, in my opinion, because some would see it as a geeen light, and usage would increase, if recreational drugs were decriminalised.

Having had some vast experience of drugs taken recreationally, both socially with successful professionals, who would be viewed as worthwhile members of society, and who suffer very few side-effects, to working with young teens, who are forced to sell their bodies on the streets to feed their addictions, this is my considered opinion.

I won't be changing my mind on the matter, any time soon.

Certainly nothing I've read in this thread has tempted me into doing so.

cashman 01-09-2012 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1012037)
You don't like asda? I just nipped down with a friend. I thought of the comment and it made me giggle.

Big difference between wandering and mixing a thread,but still perhaps its hard to see?:D

garinda 01-09-2012 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1012037)

...and although I've teased you, somewhat mercilessly, I'll admit, I do not think you're a bad person.

In fact you seem a very nice, and a good hearted sort, who at least trys to keep an open mind. Though I'm afraid we'll never see certain things in the same way, but that's just life.

Kestrelx on the other hand is a different matter.

For someone to use a public, family, internet forum, to extol the pleasures to be had from taking recreational drugs, boasting about taking illegal narcotics including L.S.D. and heroin, and with no long-term effects to himself, luckily I believe, was both a stupid, and dangerous thing to post on Accy Web, and it disgusts me that a few pro-decriminalisation supporters fail to see this too.

It sickens me what he posted, and nothing I've read since will change my mind on this issue either.

Restless 01-09-2012 18:32

^ Was more singling out cannabis rather than illegal drugs on a whole.

Cannabis that is in the solid form is far more scary a thought(chemicals they could be putting into their bodies) From heresay that isn't as popular now as it was 15 years ago. I didn't know then that it was filled with all kinds of stuff. People smoke that for a long period of time and who knows what condition their mind would be in.

Had to google it again. I have most likely posted this before. But I think its relevant if studies were made whilst people were smoking stuff like this...

Here is a list of what has been found inside sold form cannabis-- Beeswax, turpentine, milk powder, ketamine, boot polish, henna, pine resin, aspirin, animal turds, ground coffee, barbiturates, glues and dyes plus carcinogenic solvents such as Toluene and Benzene

Sobering thought.

In 2000 I made the concious decision to leave drugs behind. It is a touchy subject and It is a hard choice which side to come on. I don't think drugs should be legalised. But maintain the opinion that addicts are sick and that they need help. I also think that cannabis should be thought of in the same light as alcohol. As you say there is always risk. There is certainly a lot more risk drinking alcohol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1012041)
Big difference between wandering and mixing a thread,but still perhaps its hard to see?:D

Perhaps I will go and mix my drink instead. (in this case bourbon and coke)

garinda 01-09-2012 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1012045)
...and although I've teased you, somewhat mercilessly, I'll admit, I do not think you're a bad person.

In fact you seem a very nice, and a good hearted sort, who at least trys to keep an open mind. Though I'm afraid we'll never see certain things in the same way, but that's just life.

Kestrelx on the other hand is a different matter.

For someone to use a public, family, internet forum, to extol the pleasures to be had from taking recreational drugs, boasting about taking illegal narcotics including L.S.D. and heroin, and with no long-term effects to himself, luckily I believe, was both a stupid, and dangerous thing to post on Accy Web, and it disgusts me that a few pro-decriminalisation supporters fail to see this too.

It sickens me what he posted, and nothing I've read since will change my mind on this issue either.

I'll just add, I hate what kestrelx posted, not him.

I don't hate anyone.

Such a waste of time, and energy.

He too is probably sound as a pound.

I don't know anything about him, other than what he's said publicly.

I think what he posted was potentially dangerous, and stupid.

I rather think he isn't.

We'd probably get on if we met.

I've yet to meet anyone from this forum, and it's lots, who I haven't got on with.

Keep the conversation to punk, and not pot...get on like a crack den on fire.

:rolleyes::D

Restless 01-09-2012 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1012045)
Though I'm afraid we'll never see certain things in the same way, but that's just life.

Debate is what a forum is all about. And I totally agree with that. But forums have rules and they are there to stop things from getting out of hand. The post you made the other day was pretty bad. One of the worst I have seen on here. Thankfully it seems that no violent psychos have joined. I only have concerns for people that might think they can say anything on a website without it backfiring.

Quote:

For someone to use a public, family, internet forum, to extol the pleasures to be had from taking recreational drugs,
Shouldn't this also be the same with drinking alcohol? pedantic question I know. But. If kids are reading the forum, then should we have a ban of all talk about drug use on a whole? or at least keep it to the 18+ section. Like hiding the cigarettes in the supermarkets

I never saw the post he made boasting about taking heroin and LSD. If I did I don't remember it.

garinda 01-09-2012 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1012047)
^ Was more singling out cannabis rather than illegal drugs on a whole.

Cannabis that is in the solid form is far more scary a thought(chemicals they could be putting into their bodies) From heresay that isn't as popular now as it was 15 years ago. I didn't know then that it was filled with all kinds of stuff. People smoke that for a long period of time and who knows what condition their mind would be in.

Had to google it again. I have most likely posted this before. But I think its relevant if studies were made whilst people were smoking stuff like this...

Here is a list of what has been found inside sold form cannabis-- Beeswax, turpentine, milk powder, ketamine, boot polish, henna, pine resin, aspirin, animal turds, ground coffee, barbiturates, glues and dyes plus carcinogenic solvents such as Toluene and Benzene

Sobering thought.

In 2000 I made the concious decision to leave drugs behind. It is a touchy subject and It is a hard choice which side to come on. I don't think drugs should be legalised. But maintain the opinion that addicts are sick and that they need help. I also think that cannabis should be thought of in the same light as alcohol. As you say there is always risk. There is certainly a lot more risk drinking alcohol.

Perhaps I will go and mix my drink instead. (in this case bourbon and coke)

I've also said, umpteen times, I agree, about your point regarding drink.

Alcohol has the potential to cause sometimes fatal illness, as well as utter misery for those who love a alcoholic.

Decriminalising recreational drugs wouldn't change this, or address some of the very serious issues associated with the misuse of alcohol.

mobertol 01-09-2012 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1012050)
I'll just add, I hate what kestrelx posted, not him.

I don't hate anyone.

Such a waste of time, and energy.

He too is probably sound as a pound.

I don't know anything about him, other than what he's said publicly.

I think what he posted was potentially dangerous, and stupid.

I rather think he isn't.

We'd probably get on if we met.

I've yet to meet anyone from this forum, and it's lots, who I haven't got on with.

Keep the conversation to punk, and not pot...get on like a crack den on fire.

:rolleyes::D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1012054)
Debate is what a forum is all about. And I totally agree with that.

I never saw the post he made boasting about taking heroin and LSD. If I did I don't remember it.

It's "old hat" as they say Restless-don't remember when or where, did see it -Garinda will no doubt be putting the link on -he has an unfailing memory -mine is addled by middle-aged hormonal upheaval!:D

I did say to "Kes" a while ago now that I thought he should exploit his interests on here which are photography, music and feathered things. He manages to engage well in these subjects. I believe that is what Garinda was also hinting at when he said he'd probably get on with him if he kept things to punk...etc.

I did say some time ago that I would have nothing more to do with these "drugs" threads (this in person to Garinda and not on here I believe) -got drawn in again for particular reasons recently which I think were fairly obvious -I don't like nastiness -and it surfaced in a way I could not ignore...

Will say no more on the subject -word of honour.:D

garinda 01-09-2012 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1012054)
Debate is what a forum is all about. And I totally agree with that. But forums have rules and they are there to stop things from getting out of hand. The post you made the other day was pretty bad. One of the worst I have seen on here. Thankfully it seems that no violent psychos have joined. I only have concerns for people that might think they can say anything on a website without it backfiring.

Shouldn't this also be the same with drinking alcohol? pedantic question I know. But. If kids are reading the forum, then should we have a ban of all talk about drug use on a whole? or at least keep it to the 18+ section. Like hiding the cigarettes in the supermarkets

I've debated until I've been blue in the face.

Any other questions, you might think you'd like me to answer?

They've already been answered, trust me.

Every thought I have on this subject has already been given, innumerous times, in this thread.

Read it.

;)

Restless 01-09-2012 19:04

I have read it..heh

Friend #1 that I mentioned earlier. He says stuff like this

"The government made alcohol legal because it distracts the masses and makes them docile and keeps them in control. They keep Weed illegal because it opens minds and encourages spirituality"

He dives me nuts with this stuff. I don't seem him that much now. Phew

Eric 01-09-2012 19:33

I argue that all drugs should be legalized and controlled ... I do not see that drug use will increase ... it's thru the roof already. If drugs were legalized, overnite the cartels would be out of business. Making drugs illegal is little more than sweeping a problem under the carpet. Control and supervision is possible and workable (hate that word for some reason:rolleyes:) Here are some decent arguments for and against needle parks:

The arguments for and against Vancouver's supervised injection site - The Globe and Mail

Only in Canada, eh.:D

mobertol 01-09-2012 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1012076)
I argue that all drugs should be legalized and controlled ... I do not see that drug use will increase ... it's thru the roof already. If drugs were legalized, overnite the cartels would be out of business. Making drugs illegal is little more than sweeping a problem under the carpet. Control and supervision is possible and workable (hate that word for some reason:rolleyes:) Here are some decent arguments for and against needle parks:

The arguments for and against Vancouver's supervised injection site - The Globe and Mail

Only in Canada, eh.:D

Oh, c'mon Eric you have to have some rules and regulations otherwise there'd be no fun left in breaking them;):D

(Forgive my flippancy - it's late here...)

Restless 01-09-2012 20:09

Eric has the insight of living over the pond where the drug situation is far far worse than it is here.

You have a good point. How many would quit if they was not illegal? A lot of people might do it for that thrill. Having to "score" drugs from dealers can be a very scary experience for somebody in their youth that is not in the same mindset. This is one of the reasons that sometimes makes me lean towards legalisation