Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/should-we-legalise-illegal-drugs-poll-60990.html)

Less 15-03-2012 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 977938)
500 years ago 99% of people thought the earth was flat - they too attacked people who realised the earth was a sphere!

It has been known for thousands of years that the world is round, at the time you are talking about, it was dangerous to mention the Earth went around the Sun.
That could have you in trouble with the religious leaders.

Margaret Pilkington 15-03-2012 14:31

Re: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrighty (Post 977942)
You can not put cannabis in the same bracket as heroin or coke!! :confused:

The other thread was about legalising illegal drugs.......Cannabis is illegal as are heroin and cocaine.
Are you saying that people do not use heroin and cocaine to achieve some kind of 'high'....and as some part of their 'social scene'?
The other thread wasn't called Legalise Cannabis....it didn't specify which illegal drugs should be legalised.

You tell us that cannabis has caused no deaths........but you do not take into account the users who go on to other illegal drugs when cannabis fails to give the user the buzz that they are looking for. Neither do you take into account, those whose mental health has been affected by the use of this substance.

As Less has said, there are regulations which are in place for the sale of alcohol and tobacco.

And as for statistics, you can make them prove any damn thing you want.

Wrighty 15-03-2012 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 977951)
The other thread was about legalising illegal drugs.......Cannabis is illegal as are heroin and cocaine.
Are you saying that people do not use heroin and cocaine to achieve some kind of 'high'....and as some part of their 'social scene'?
The other thread wasn't called Legalise Cannabis....it didn't specify which illegal drugs should be legalised.

You tell us that cannabis has caused no deaths........but you do not take into account the users who go on to other illegal drugs when cannabis fails to give the user the buzz that they are looking for. Neither do you take into account, those whose mental health has been affected by the use of this substance.

As Less has said, there are regulations which are in place for the sale of alcohol and tobacco.

And as for statistics, you can make them prove any damn thing you want.

This thread is about legalising drugs , pointless having 2 threads the same.

I am talking about cannabis alone = 0 deaths

I will ask you .. please put up statistics regarding alcohol & lets see the difference as to which is more dangerous & how alcohol effects the body & mind over the long term .

The amount of harm & money that alcohol costs this country is huge but that is OK because its legal & it can be taxed

Michael1954 15-03-2012 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrighty (Post 977954)
This thread is about legalising drugs , pointless having 2 threads the same.

I am talking about cannabis alone = 0 deaths

I will ask you .. please put up statistics regarding alcohol & lets see the difference as to which is more dangerous & how alcohol effects the body & mind over the long term .

The amount of harm & money that alcohol costs this country is huge but that is OK because its legal & it can be taxed

This is a poll about illegal drugs. The debate is on the other thread.

Margaret Pilkington 15-03-2012 15:00

This is primarily a poll. It isn't supposed to be like the other thread.

The thread is not about legalising drugs at all....it is about canvassing votes in support of, or against, legalising drugs.... that is something very different.

I have never said that alcohol and tobacco are without their dangers .......I don't feel that I need to provide you with statistics, statistics can be manipulated to make them mean what you want them to mean(i.e. that is, in favour of whatever argument you are putting forward).

Wrighty 15-03-2012 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1954 (Post 977955)
This is a poll about illegal drugs. The debate is on the other thread.

I will post what I like as long as I stay within the rules of the forum :alright:

Wrighty 15-03-2012 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 977958)
This is primarily a poll. It isn't supposed to be like the other thread.

The thread is not about legalising drugs at all....it is about canvassing votes in support of, or against, legalising drugs.... that is something very different.

I have never said that alcohol and tobacco are without their dangers .......I don't feel that I need to provide you with statistics, statistics can be manipulated to make them mean what you want them to mean(i.e. that is, in favour of whatever argument you are putting forward).

Cannabis = 0 deaths . not much manipulation there eh?

Alcohol = untold misery . costing millions if not billions , 400k a year deaths ? there is no comparison really

Blah blah blah

Michael1954 15-03-2012 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrighty (Post 977959)
I will post what I like as long as I stay within the rules of the forum :alright:

Do so. I was just trying to explain why there are two separate threads and that the poll was about illegal drugs, not alcohol. You seem to be a little bit simple, so I thought you would appreciate a simple explanation.

Neil 15-03-2012 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy (Post 977914)
I hope they do legalise Cannabis.
Perhaps it will stop all these "farms" that are uncovered when the police raid certain houses and find the occupier has turned it into a Tax Free little earner for themselves.

One of these was found in Wigan when the grower set fire to his house and his neighbours houses.

Anger at fire damage - Local News - Wigan Today

I think it was Less that covered that perfectly well in the other thread - we should not get rid of laws just because they are difficult to enforce, the police just need to get better at catching the illegal farms. They appear to be doing a good job at catching them to me.

Wrighty 15-03-2012 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1954 (Post 977962)
Do so. I was just trying to explain why there are two separate threads and that the poll was about illegal drugs, not alcohol. You seem to be a little bit simple, so I thought you would appreciate a simple explanation.

I was comparing cannabis with alcohol , seeing as cannabis is illegal & a thread -Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll. I don't see what your point is .. As for calling me simple .. you are just as bad as the others for insulting if you don't like what you see .

Margaret Pilkington 15-03-2012 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrighty (Post 977971)
I was comparing cannabis with alcohol , seeing as cannabis is illegal & a thread -Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll. I don't see what your point is .. As for calling me simple .. you are just as bad as the others for insulting if you don't like what you see .

Despite simple explanations, this post shows that you just don't get it.
One is a discussion.
One is a poll - couldn't be simpler.

Gordon Booth 15-03-2012 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrighty (Post 977961)

Alcohol = untold misery . costing millions if not billions , 400k a year deaths ? there is no comparison really

Blah blah blah

400k deaths a year?? There soon won't be any drinkers left- that's one problem solved!
Did you get that figure wrong?

'Million if not billions'? In 2009/10 alcohol tax raised £14.6 BILLION, tobacco tax raised £11.1 BILLION in 2010/11. The country makes an overall profit out of it's drinkers/smokers, unlike the illegal drug takers.

Anyone going in hospital with alcohol/tobacco problems should get a private room and a personal care team!

annesingleton 15-03-2012 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrighty (Post 977961)

Blah blah blah

Not quite true if you choose to follow these links - there are hundreds more available all of which refute your argument......

http://alcoholism.about.com/b/2003/1...accidents.html
First person in Britain to die directly from cannabis poisoning?
Cannabis is blamed for teen's death | Macclesfield Express - menmedia.co.uk
Cases Journal | Full text | Cardiac arrest following cannabis use: a case report

annesingleton 15-03-2012 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 977970)
I think it was Less that covered that perfectly well in the other thread - we should not get rid of laws just because they are difficult to enforce, the police just need to get better at catching the illegal farms. They appear to be doing a good job at catching them to me.

True - one of the arguments in support of legalisation is that the law is difficult to enforce - there are lots of difficult to enforce laws, but I doubt the majority of the general public would be in favour of getting rid of them.

jaysay 15-03-2012 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 977938)
500 years ago 99% of people thought the earth was flat - they too attacked people who realised the earth was a sphere!

Most peoples opinions have been formed by "mis-information" so this poll will never be fair!

Cannabis should be legalised!:alright:

You mean the earths not flat:eek: