Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/should-we-legalise-illegal-drugs-poll-60990.html)

jaysay 29-04-2012 09:33

Re: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll.

Quote:

Originally Posted by annesingleton (Post 988068)
Sorry Restless I can't go into details, so I suppose my post was a bit pointless really, it's just seeing the havoc that substance use can cause in young people's lives and how things could be different if they hadn't started in the first place.

I've never worked with people on drugs but have seen the mess they cause Anne, they once brought a 19 year old on the chest ward where I was he had pneumonia, he'd OD and was lead on a park bench through a very rainy night, they eventually got the lad right, and he told us he'd finished with drugs, he'd learnt his lesson. Three weeks later I was reading the Observer and it was reported that this same lad had been found dead in his flat on Nuttall St. Accy, from a drugs over dose, a complete and utter waste.

Restless 29-04-2012 13:11

Anne-- Well its just an opinion, but I thought your post was not pointless just flawed. Flawed because you throw cannabis in with a statement that could be about hard drugs. Without details there is no way to know-- I guess you work in a hospital or doctors? or some other job where info is confidential? you might of said before but I don't remember. That is fair if you cannot go into details. I am just interested. If this subject is gonna keep popping up here, its better imho to keep it factual and serious.

I am pretty serious about this subject because I have seen first hand the damage hard drugs can do. I can't stand to see them now. The latest thing is those 'legal highs' that are extremely dangerous. 'Bubble' that was made illegal earlier this year(debatable whether or not it has made the slightest difference) is very bad. It is plant fertilizer. Other legal highs as they are obnoxiously named are things like bath salts and other chemicals. There is a good documentary about it

I find it quite disturbing with all the deaths I have heard of recently in relation to 'bubble' I would predict that this drug will end up claiming more lives than ecstasy has.

Cannabis wrecks lives in the same way alcohol and gambling does but not the same way as hard drugs do.

Sometimes this sounds and feels like a rant but I think there is not enough awareness about drugs. Condemnation is not awareness.

Luckily I have not lost a friend to drugs, though I lost a friend(though we were not that close) recently due to a stomach ulcer bursting. He did nothing but drink alcohol and perhaps cannabis sometimes. He was 35 years old. Perhaps if he didn't drink at all he would still be alive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 988079)
I've never worked with people on drugs but have seen the mess they cause Anne, they once brought a 19 year old on the chest ward where I was he had pneumonia, he'd OD and was lead on a park bench through a very rainy night, they eventually got the lad right, and he told us he'd finished with drugs, he'd learnt his lesson. Three weeks later I was reading the Observer and it was reported that this same lad had been found dead in his flat on Nuttall St. Accy, from a drugs over dose, a complete and utter waste.

Yes. it is a shame.

Condemnation is not awareness. Perhaps with a bit of teaching this wouldn't happen. What drugs was this? I never understood how people could be so stupid to do stuff like heroin etc. Its a lack of knowledge/awareness for these kids, and they start taking drugs when they are young and some of them just don't know the difference, but then again some simply do no care. It is a sad thing

kestrelx 03-05-2012 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 988079)

Apparently 70's kids show presenters of "Playschool" smoked cannabis and were under the influence of cannabis during the show and the drug was used often in the BBC Studios! :)

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/play-school-p...-round-up.html

Did it do these people any harm?

Restless 03-05-2012 23:27

Can we give up on this subject? this comment feels to me like another attempt of bumping the thread (or more so to bring anne's attention to my post)

this subject has become somewhat boring--

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 989339)
Apparently 70's kids show presenters of "Playschool" smoked cannabis and were under the influence of cannabis during the show and the drug was used often in the BBC Studios! :)

kestrelx 03-05-2012 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 988103)
Anne-- Well its just an opinion, but I thought your post was not pointless just flawed. Flawed because you throw cannabis in with a statement thing

;)

BBC TV Play School - YouTube

:D

kestrelx 03-05-2012 23:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 989340)
Can we give up on this subject? this comment feels to me like another attempt of bumping the thread (or more so to bring anne's attention to my post)

this subject has become somewhat boring--

No it's not bumping the thread mate! I just saw a link to this article for the first time and I thought it should be posted here, to inform people that cannabis was used by some people making this TV program in the 60's and 70's - this is apparently going to be shown in a documentary on the BBC soon. It's not bumping - just adding to the pot of information.

Margaret Pilkington 04-05-2012 07:40

so because some childrens TV presenters in the dim and distant past did it...it's Ok?

Did you read the other article during the week where a young woman( who had been a long term user of cannabis) committed suicide? Still, perhaps you do not consider her death to be attributable to the cannabis...or the fact that her mental health had been affected by this substance.
I'm sure her family would find your comments very enlightening.

kestrelx 04-05-2012 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 989360)
so because some childrens TV presenters in the dim and distant past did it...it's Ok?

Did you read the other article during the week where a young woman( who had been a long term user of cannabis) committed suicide? Still, perhaps you do not consider her death to be attributable to the cannabis...or the fact that her mental health had been affected by this substance.

But Margaret back in the 60's and 70's the cannabis was weaker - and I have covered this before in other threads that the way it's grown today (in artificial indoor environments) increases certain chemicals. I 've said all this before.

Also what newspaper did you read this about this woman comitting suicide, was it the Daily Mail? I would appreciate if you'd posted a link.:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 04-05-2012 10:39

I can't remember...I read it online. I read a good variety of newspapers online....and now I can't remember where I read it.
My point wasn't anything to do with the strength of the stuff...it was, that because someone else(famous/celebrity) is doing something that is daft, and possibly dangerous and damaging to health doesn't make it the right thing to do for the rest of us.

davemac 04-05-2012 11:27

You cant hold a discussion if one side of the discussion will not entertain the possibility of the other side having a point, all you have are rantings.

This is a point made clear by some of the posts we have on here.

MargaretR 04-05-2012 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 989408)
You cant hold a discussion if one side of the discussion will not entertain the possibility of the other side having a point, all you have are rantings.

From a neutral observer's viewpoint BOTH sides ranted.

***Mr D*** 04-05-2012 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 989360)

Im sure you could say that about a lot of substances, legal or illegal.

I would not blame cannabis for this, and I cant see how you can say it is to blame.

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 989408)

Yes your right, as Margaret says from both sides.

Margaret Pilkington 04-05-2012 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** (Post 989421)
I would not blame cannabis for this, and I cant see how you can say it is to blame.

It was not me saying that cannabis was to blame...it was what her family were saying. They were concerned that her long term use of this illegal substance had created mental health problems for her.

Personally, I haven't been one for doing something because it is what everybody else is doing.
I have my own mind, my own ideas.......I do not need others to influence me. I do not want to be 'like' someone else.

Restless 04-05-2012 17:07

They haven't proven yet that cannabis is linked to mental illness. But it is something they are theorizing and suggesting all the time.

Going back onto awareness. I read(and also was told) that some cannabis resin (aka soapbar) actually has Largactil added to it. Margaret, if this is true you can only imagine the damage it could cause to the mind

Restless 04-05-2012 17:36

List of chemicals and stuff that have been found inside ''soapbar''

beeswax, boot polish, animal turds, turpentine, henna, ground coffee, milk powder, pine resin, barbiturates, ketamine, aspirin, glues & dyes, Carcinogenic solvents such as Toluene and Benzene and many other unidentified and possibly DEADLY chemicals.

jaysay 04-05-2012 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 989501)
List of chemicals and stuff that have been found inside ''soapbar''

beeswax, boot polish, animal turds, turpentine, henna, ground coffee, milk powder, pine resin, barbiturates, ketamine, aspirin, glues & dyes, Carcinogenic solvents such as Toluene and Benzene and many other unidentified and possibly DEADLY chemicals.

Ya that's a good enough reason for not washing Restless:rolleyes:

Restless 04-05-2012 18:00

:D hehe

joking aside. Back when I used to smoke it there was a lot of this stuff about. Its frightening to think of what I could've been smoking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 989505)
Ya that's a good enough reason for not washing Restless:rolleyes:

annesingleton 04-05-2012 23:06

Does that make it ok?
I can only go from my own experiences and as far as I'm concerned cannabis and other illegal drugs including mephedrone - or bubble - do far more harm than good. I can't really say anything else about it, there really isn't much to advocate for legalising illegal substances in my opinion.
If anyone can evidence that drug use is beneficial to either individuals or to society, I'd like to hear it.

annesingleton 04-05-2012 23:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 989339)

Did it do these people any harm?

Sorry forgot to quote -
Does that make it ok?
I can only go from my own experiences and as far as I'm concerned cannabis and other illegal drugs including mephedrone - or bubble - do far more harm than good. I can't really say anything else about it, there really isn't much to advocate for legalising illegal substances in my opinion.
If anyone can evidence that drug use is beneficial to either individuals or to society, I'd like to hear it.

Less 04-05-2012 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by annesingleton (Post 989652)

I do wish you hadn't said that, he'll start a brand new thread about it now...

and it will be all your fault.

annesingleton 04-05-2012 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 989655)
I do wish you hadn't said that, he'll start a brand new thread about it now...

and it will be all your fault.

I know, sorry couldn't help myself! It really will be all my fault and I take responsibility for it - damn!!!

Margaret Pilkington 05-05-2012 06:28

Don't worry Anne, you and I can stand in the dock together accused of asking that question....I asked it in post 207.:)

I don't quite understand the mentality of people who want to do something because someone/everybody else is doing it.......as Ma used to say 'If they jumped in the fire - would you do it too?' A very juvenile bit of reasoning.

Eric 06-05-2012 11:46

Here'e a few Canucks who would probably vote "yes" in this poll if they knew about it:;)

Marijuana marchers take to the streets - Toronto - CBC News

accyman 06-05-2012 15:02

it may have been metioned already but amsterdam has tightened up use of canabis so non nationals will no longer be able to smoke canabis legaly in amsterdam.If they are toughening up i cant see our government relaxing on the issue.

another thing about this is that by banning other EU members and still allowing home nationals to smoke it legaly it would seem amsterdam /netherlands are breaking EU rules so yet another country sticking their fingers up at the EU while the UK follows the laws to the letter.

Meanwhile on the other side of the globe canada are relaxing laws and making it a prescription drug like some do in america.

Eric 06-05-2012 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 990003)
it may have been metioned already but amsterdam has tightened up use of canabis so non nationals will no longer be able to smoke canabis legaly in amsterdam.If they are toughening up i cant see our government relaxing on the issue.

another thing about this is that by banning other EU members and still allowing home nationals to smoke it legaly it would seem amsterdam /netherlands are breaking EU rules so yet another country sticking their fingers up at the EU while the UK follows the laws to the letter.

Meanwhile on the other side of the globe canada are relaxing laws and making it a prescription drug like some do in america.

What? You can't get marijuana on prescription in the UK?

DaveinGermany 06-05-2012 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 990003)
it may have been metioned already but amsterdam has tightened up use of canabis so non nationals will no longer be able to smoke canabis legaly in amsterdam.

They've been talking about it for a while now, but it wasn't until the start of this month that it was put into practice.

BBC News - Dutch cannabis cafe owners fight changes

Restless 06-05-2012 15:50

Perhaps all drug use should be made illegal. Including coffee, tobacco and alcohol

Less 06-05-2012 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 990027)
Perhaps all drug use should be made illegal. Including coffee, tobacco and alcohol

Thats causing us to go back around again.
It's been suggested both in this and the other never ending drug story.
:o

accyman 06-05-2012 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 990010)
They've been talking about it for a while now, but it wasn't until the start of this month that it was put into practice.

BBC News - Dutch cannabis cafe owners fight changes

yeah but according to EU law all citizens of the EU get equall treatment as the hosting nations citizens whch isnt the case here as it is one rule for them and another one for other EU members.The UK wouldnt get away with this yet they have just like the French do when they defy the EU.I really cant fathom why the UK follows the EU so blindly when it is evident other nations dont and recieve no punishment for not doing so.It seems to me our government is between a rock and a hard place with the rock been up americas backside and teh hard place been up the EU's backside.I dont think our government actually has any time to govern its too busy following outsiders orders :rolleyes:

As for legalising drugs all i can see is that teh war on drugs has been fought since before i was born and is showing no signs of been won so although i dont advocate surrender something needs doing to remove the criminal and terrorist element of drug suppliers.If it isnt proffitable for them they wont do it so maybe a government program of some sort that will cause it to be not so desireable or finacially beneficial needs to be addressed.

govenment has made smokers ot to be scum of society it shoudlnt be too hard

Restless 06-05-2012 16:37

Yeah. There was a joke in there somewhere :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 990031)
Thats causing us to go back around again.
It's been suggested both in this and the other never ending drug story.
:o

Eric 06-05-2012 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 990033)
yeah but according to EU law all citizens of the EU get equall treatment as the hosting nations citizens whch isnt the case here as it is one rule for them and another one for other EU members.The UK wouldnt get away with this yet they have just like the French do when they defy the EU.I really cant fathom why the UK follows the EU so blindly when it is evident other nations dont and recieve no punishment for not doing so.It seems to me our government is between a rock and a hard place with the rock been up americas backside and teh hard place been up the EU's backside.I dont think our government actually has any time to govern its too busy following outsiders orders :rolleyes:

As for legalising drugs all i can see is that teh war on drugs has been fought since before i was born and is showing no signs of been won so although i dont advocate surrender something needs doing to remove the criminal and terrorist element of drug suppliers.If it isnt proffitable for them they wont do it so maybe a government program of some sort that will cause it to be not so desireable or finacially beneficial needs to be addressed.

govenment has made smokers ot to be scum of society it shoudlnt be too hard

You are dead right about the war on drugs ... And I'm willing to bet there are thousands of poor, frightened folks in places like Mexico, Colombia, and Honduras who would like to see legalization. The demand is not going to go away, believe it.

annesingleton 06-05-2012 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by annesingleton (Post 989651)
Does that make it ok?

I'm repeating myself!

Eric 06-05-2012 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by annesingleton (Post 990096)
I'm repeating myself!

We all do eventually, it's a Finnegans Wake thingy. Oh, and I don't know if this is the kind of evidence you are looking for, but this is how things go in The Great White North:

Who Is Eligible | Medical Marijuana

susie123 06-05-2012 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 990109)
We all do eventually, it's a Finnegans Wake thingy. Oh, and I don't know if this is the kind of evidence you are looking for, but this is how things go in The Great White North:

Who Is Eligible | Medical Marijuana

Eric, I'd no idea there was such a thing as medical marijuana in Canada. Just shows what a great country it is. As far as I'm aware over here the only way you can get the stuff is as a medicine called Sativex which is basically a liquid cannabis extract, licensed for some of the same conditions as described in the link you posted. I have shares in the company that makes it and they have had over ten years of jumping through all sorts of medicolegal hoops to get to this stage. Interestingly the first country in which it was licensed for sale was Canada...

Eric 06-05-2012 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 990110)
Eric, I'd no idea there was such a thing as medical marijuana in Canada. Just shows what a great country it is. As far as I'm aware over here the only way you can get the stuff is as a medicine called Sativex which is basically a liquid cannabis extract, licensed for some of the same conditions as described in the link you posted. I have shares in the company that makes it and they have had over ten years of jumping through all sorts of medicolegal hoops to get to this stage. Interestingly the first country in which it was licensed for sale was Canada...

You realize tho' that Canada is off the radar as far as most folks in the world are concerned ... no one, apart from the ever grateful Dutch, knows who we are, and what we are all about. We have medical marijuana, gay marriage, no abortion law (it's a matter between a patient and her doctor, other than paying for the procedure, the state has no input) and, in Ontario, legal whorehouses:theband:
Canada court ruling would allow legal brothels | Top News | Reuters

Eric 14-05-2012 16:46

And here's another potential use for medical marijuana:

Smoking pot may help relieve MS pain - Health - CBC News

Margaret Pilkington 14-05-2012 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 991661)
And here's another potential use for medical marijuana:

Smoking pot may help relieve MS pain - Health - CBC News

This has been known for many years and in fact medicinal cannabinoids were formulated for this very reason........are available in spray form.
I have been retired now for 10 years, and medical trials were being done a good while before I left the NHS.

Eric 14-05-2012 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 991662)
This has been known for many years and in fact medicinal cannabinoids were formulated for this very reason........are available in spray form.
I have been retired now for 10 years, and medical trials were being done a good while before I left the NHS.

Why did you retire so young?

Margaret Pilkington 14-05-2012 17:15

I didn't retire particularly young....anyway, which patient wants to have an arthritic old bird trying to run to their assistance with the 'crash' trolley.(not that I was arthritic)

I retired at 55 Eric. There were so many meddlesome government targets that meant nothing to the care of patients.......made the lives of nurses more difficult.......so I had paid into my pension and decided to get, while the going was good.(it was a good decision, and I'm glad I'm out of it)
I had had a long and very satisfying career...looked after many women...and later their daughters too...taught lots of student nurses....in general felt I had done my bit

jaysay 14-05-2012 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 991665)
I didn't retire particularly young....anyway, which patient wants to have an arthritic old bird trying to run to their assistance with the 'crash' trolley.(not that I was arthritic)

I retired at 55 Eric. There were so many meddlesome government targets that meant nothing to the care of patients.......made the lives of nurses more difficult.......so I had paid into my pension and decided to get, while the going was good.(it was a good decision, and I'm glad I'm out of it)
I had had a long and very satisfying career...looked after many women...and later their daughters too...taught lots of student nurses....in general felt I had done my bit

That was a pity Margaret, I prefer the old brigade when I'm in hospital, those who are there for all the right reasons, you can't teach caring at university:rolleyes:

maxthecollie 14-05-2012 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 991678)
That was a pity Margaret, I prefer the old brigade when I'm in hospital, those who are there for all the right reasons, you can't teach caring at university:rolleyes:

Just what my mum says . She is now 85 and did her nursing training at Burnley Vic and finished her career at AVH Casualty .She says they are not nurses now just admin staff. She always has a mention when she has to go in hospital over the way nurses always seem to walk round holding a clipboard

Margaret Pilkington 14-05-2012 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 991678)

No John, not really a pity...but a natural progression.
I was 'spent'.........I loved the caring, but was fed up of fighting the bureaucracy of it all.........all I ever wanted was to make a difference to the lives of the patients I looked after.
They tell me that there are still people who ask 'what happened to Sister P?'....and I passed on my skills to the students I taught...I hope I passed on my values too.

After seeing Ma in hospital after her stroke, I know things have not got easier for the nurses....there seemed to be fewer staff, but just as much to do.
I think I did my nursing at just the right time...and got out at the right time too.

I'm pretty sure that Lettie would confirm what I am saying.

Eric 14-05-2012 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 991665)

Mmm ... should have made the compliment a little less opaque:o But we have to beware of clickism.:D

Mancie 14-05-2012 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 991704)
Just what my mum says . She is now 85 and did her nursing training at Burnley Vic and finished her career at AVH Casualty .She says they are not nurses now just admin staff. She always has a mention when she has to go in hospital over the way nurses always seem to walk round holding a clipboard

Have to say that in my experience most of the young ward nurses are pretty clued up and must have had excellent trianing...of course the more experienced senior nurses hold the ship together and overall I cannot fault any of the nursing staff I've come across ..young or mature.

kestrelx 14-05-2012 23:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 990005)
What? You can't get marijuana on prescription in the UK?

Only under strict conditions and some NHS Trusts don't do it. It's certainly not like in California where as far as I understand it is so easy to get Cannabis for health problems, very similar to the UK's prescription system in which you can get painkillers like Co-codamol just by seeing a GP!

Eric 14-05-2012 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 991770)
Only under strict conditions and some NHS Trusts don't do it. It's certainly not like in California where as far as I understand it is so easy to get Cannabis for health problems, very similar to the UK's prescription system in which you can get painkillers like Co-codamol just by seeing a GP!

In California it's easy to get cannabis for any purpose ... even easier in British Columbia ... and any painkiller you need, you can get from your family doctor. I think I should point out that the delivery of health care in Canada is the right and responsibility of the individual Provinces ... this adds a different dimension to our health care system.

Margaret Pilkington 15-05-2012 06:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 991760)
Mmm ... should have made the compliment a little less opaque:o But we have to beware of clickism.:D

Thought you were just being curious Eric :D

jaysay 15-05-2012 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 991716)
No John, not really a pity...but a natural progression.
I was 'spent'.........I loved the caring, but was fed up of fighting the bureaucracy of it all.........all I ever wanted was to make a difference to the lives of the patients I looked after.
They tell me that there are still people who ask 'what happened to Sister P?'....and I passed on my skills to the students I taught...I hope I passed on my values too.

After seeing Ma in hospital after her stroke, I know things have not got easier for the nurses....there seemed to be fewer staff, but just as much to do.
I think I did my nursing at just the right time...and got out at the right time too.

I'm pretty sure that Lettie would confirm what I am saying.

Its just a pity that you couldn't bottle what you had and sell it on Margaret, you'd have made a fortune

Margaret Pilkington 15-05-2012 09:56

John, I have never wanted a fortune......just enough to make ends meet and the bit extra for the bow.
Being motivated by money is probably one of the biggest problems in the world today.
If I could bottle it and give to every potential carer, then those who need looking after would be the ones to feel the benefit.

I do hope that doesn't sound trite or conceited - it isn't meant to.

jaysay 15-05-2012 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 991817)
John, I have never wanted a fortune......just enough to make ends meet and the bit extra for the bow.
Being motivated by money is probably one of the biggest problems in the world today.
If I could bottle it and give to every potential carer, then those who need looking after would be the ones to feel the benefit.

I do hope that doesn't sound trite or conceited - it isn't meant to.

Well I have to say money has never been King with me either Margaret, so long as I've had enough to satisfy my needs that's all I've ever really wanted, nursing first and foremost to me must be about caring, which doesn't always seem the case today, to be a nurse today you need to be a university grad, but you don't learn caring in the classroom it comes from inside. Its the same with care in the community which I know about first hand, I've been lucky I've had some marvelous people coming into my home and very very few poor ones probably two in two and a half years. Even after my main carer, George, was struck down with illness, I've had some really good people around me and the good news is George could be back shortly which is even better news for him than it is for me, because he'll have won his battle for fitness

Margaret Pilkington 15-05-2012 10:38

How good that George is going to be back with you soon...and that he is back to health once more...I was only thinking about him recently and wondering how he was getting on. Good news indeed, John...for you both.

jaysay 15-05-2012 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 991831)
How good that George is going to be back with you soon...and that he is back to health once more...I was only thinking about him recently and wondering how he was getting on. Good news indeed, John...for you both.

Ya he pops in to see me quite often Margaret, he was here last week, I'm more concerned about him making a complete recovery, because he's such a genuine guy, who's more off a friend now than a carer, but they certainly don't come any better than George, to say that he has only been doing the job around 4 years, Mears are very lucky to have him believe me

maxthecollie 15-05-2012 19:34

If you get a good carer you need to keep hold of them if you can. A good carer is worth their weight in gold .My mum is lucky she has two good carers who call in twice a day every day.

jaysay 16-05-2012 09:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 991961)
If you get a good carer you need to keep hold of them if you can. A good carer is worth their weight in gold .My mum is lucky she has two good carers who call in twice a day every day.

Spot on there Max, they become part of your life, until George was taken ill he'd been my carer for 20 months and as I've said previously he was more like a mate, since then I've had different ones coming but they've been great, can't complain, I've been very lucky really and there is no doubt that its improved my quality of life and at least I see somebody every day were as before I could go all week without seeing a soul

yerself 24-05-2012 10:51

One for the legalise cannabis camp to ponder. From the 'LancashireTelegraph':

East Lancashire holidaymaker killed on Spanish motorway (From Lancashire Telegraph)

An excerpt from the article:
Mr Laurie became ‘a little paranoid and erratic’, especially after he had smoked cannabis.

Eric 24-05-2012 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 993693)
One for the legalise cannabis camp to ponder. From the 'LancashireTelegraph':

East Lancashire holidaymaker killed on Spanish motorway (From Lancashire Telegraph)

An excerpt from the article:
Mr Laurie became ‘a little paranoid and erratic’, especially after he had smoked cannabis.

Not much pondering to do. You are making a case against impaired driving. Maybe if Mr. Laurie had been drinking, he could have just passed out behind the wheel. And as far as I know, at least over here, it is illegal to drive while under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol. And that wouldn't change if pot were legalized. Impaired driving and distracted driving (cell phones, munching on a Big Mac combo, etc.) are dumb, and illegal ... but I doubt you will see a move towards banning cell phones or making it illegal to pick up at a drive thru at Rotten Ronnies.

maxthecollie 24-05-2012 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 993707)
Not much pondering to do. You are making a case against impaired driving. Maybe if Mr. Laurie had been drinking, he could have just passed out behind the wheel. And as far as I know, at least over here, it is illegal to drive while under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol. And that wouldn't change if pot were legalized. Impaired driving and distracted driving (cell phones, munching on a Big Mac combo, etc.) are dumb, and illegal ... but I doubt you will see a move towards banning cell phones or making it illegal to pick up at a drive thru at Rotten Ronnies.

It is illegal to drive whislt using a cell phone , but the police never seem to catch anybody on their phone. Across road from me is St.Annes school and I have observed about 20% of parents on the phone whilst driving with children in the car.

yerself 24-05-2012 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric
not much pondering to do. You are making a case against impaired driving.

You obviously haven't read the article Eric, he wasn't driving.

A short time later, with Miss Whittaker driving, they were on a motorway on the outskirts of Barcelona when they stopped in the outside lane due to traffic congestion.

She said Mr Laurie shouted ‘this is it’, before getting out of the car and climbing over the central reservation into the opposite carriageway.

Eric 24-05-2012 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 993722)
You obviously haven't read the article Eric, he wasn't driving.

A short time later, with Miss Whittaker driving, they were on a motorway on the outskirts of Barcelona when they stopped in the outside lane due to traffic congestion.

She said Mr Laurie shouted ‘this is it’, before getting out of the car and climbing over the central reservation into the opposite carriageway.

You're right, I didn't read it ... just jumped to conclusions:o

garinda 24-05-2012 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 993723)
You're right, I didn't read it ... just jumped to conclusions:o

Apathy?

Lack concentration?

:rolleyes::D:D

garinda 24-05-2012 17:03

Comments are interesting reading too, on the LT website.

Apparently cannabis is no more harmful than using a broth posy, or putting mint sauce on a lamb chop.

You live and learn.

:rolleyes:

jaysay 24-05-2012 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 993726)
Comments are interesting reading too, on the LT website.

Apparently cannabis is no more harmful than using a broth posy, or putting mint sauce on a lamb chop.

You live and learn.

:eek::eek::eek:Oh no do you mean I've been putting my life at risk all these years, my parents have a lot to answer for giving me all that broth, and I've just posed writing this reply as I've just been in the kitchen and dumped the mint sauce in the bin:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Eric 24-05-2012 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 993725)
Apathy?

Lack concentration?

:rolleyes::D:D

No ... just lazy ... not into wake and bake today, have too much running around to do;) But later, I will be wearing my illegal smile.:D Maybe watch "Reefer Madness" ... always a good laff.

Reefer Madness Trailer Great marijuana movie - YouTube

garinda 28-08-2012 07:21

'An international team found those who started using cannabis below the age of 18 - while their brains were still developing - suffered a drop in IQ.'

BBC News - Young cannabis smokers run risk of lower IQ, report claims

:s_oooo:

jaysay 28-08-2012 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1011064)
'An international team found those who started using cannabis below the age of 18 - while their brains were still developing - suffered a drop in IQ.'

Think we've already noticed that Rindi:rolleyes:

Restless 29-08-2012 18:26

Prob stoned when doing the IQ test and thought " why bother "

garinda 29-08-2012 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1011335)
Prob stoned when doing the IQ test and thought " why bother "

Are you trying to suggest 'lacking motivation' should be added to the ever growing list of side effects?

Ok, leave it to me.

I'll do it now.

Restless 29-08-2012 22:58

No suggestions. Just humour. I just think of bill hicks sometimes when I think of this

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill hicks
They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do just as well — you just realize that it's not worth the effort.

Anyway this a study of 1000 people? and they are making out that this is fact?. It is totally ridiculous. Oh but if its in the mainstream media, people will believe it.

Worse you feel the need to bring up the thread again when most people here don't want anything to do with it. Seems like another attempt to provoke kestrelx. If im wrong about that, so be it. I am only human.

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1011351)
Are you trying to suggest 'lacking motivation' should be added to the ever growing list of side effects?

Ok, leave it to me.

I'll do it now.

jaysay 30-08-2012 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1011420)
I am only human.

Prove it:D

kestrelx 30-08-2012 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1011064)

These surveys are manipulated to make a point, serve an agenda! What drug have you been taking to make you such a bitter and twisted individual?

jaysay 30-08-2012 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1011466)
These surveys are manipulated to make a point, serve an agenda! What drug have you been taking to make you such a bitter and twisted individual?

Think you'll find that he's said many times before that its not HIS experiance with drugs, but working with people that were to weak to say no.

kestrelx 30-08-2012 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1011420)
No suggestions. Just humour. I just think of bill hicks sometimes when I think of this

Anyway this a study of 1000 people? and they are making out that this is fact?. It is totally ridiculous. Oh but if its in the mainstream media, people will believe it.

Worse you feel the need to bring up the thread again when most people here don't want anything to do with it. Seems like another attempt to provoke kestrelx. If im wrong about that, so be it. I am only human.

Good point:), wasn't Garinda complaining some time ago about someone bringing up an old thread a matter of weeks after it was forgoten - now suddenly this old drug issue is being dug up. When I'd long forgotten about it.

You are right...:rolleyes:

cashman 30-08-2012 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1011468)
Good point:), wasn't Garinda complaining some time ago about someone bringing up an old thread a matter of weeks after it was forgoten - now suddenly this old drug issue is being dug up. When I'd long forgotten about it.

You are right...:rolleyes:

Seems to me garinda just added a new report to this thread, nothing more, but never mind, yeh got a supporter, it takes all sorts.:hehetable

garinda 30-08-2012 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1011466)

I suppose such drivel should be expected.

At what age did you first smoke cannabis?

It could explain a lot, about some of the issues you seem to have.

Was it before, or after you first used heroin?

As for the findings of this latest research, which was widely reported in the news throughout the world, as far as I understand it's an independent, on-going study of a cross-sample of people, that's been going on for the last thirty years.

kestrelx 30-08-2012 09:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1011472)
Seems to me garinda just added a new report to this thread, nothing more, but never mind, yeh got a supporter, it takes all sorts.:hehetable

I recall garinda (and or some other delinquent) having a hissy fit sometime back when somebody revivied an old thread - but I can't be bothred going back and trolling up the evidence! :dummy:

garinda 30-08-2012 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1011468)
Good point:), wasn't Garinda complaining some time ago about someone bringing up an old thread a matter of weeks after it was forgoten -

Er...no.

Wrong, again.

Your memory really is shot to pieces, isn't it?

Please feel free to quote me, showing I did this.

Good luck.

garinda 30-08-2012 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1011477)
I recall garinda (and or some other delinquent) having a hissy fit sometime back when somebody revivied an old thread - but I can't be bothred going back and trolling up the evidence! :dummy:

See? Poor memory, and an apathetic lack of motivation, for what should be such a simple task.

What a terrible state to be in.

:nono8:

Wynonie Harris 30-08-2012 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1011477)

For crying out loud, he didn't just revive the thread at random, he did it because there's a recent survey on the subject which has been published in the last few days, so there could be something further to discuss on the subject. Is it any wonder you're on the receiving end of so much criticism when you come out with such drivel? :rolleyes:

garinda 30-08-2012 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1011481)
For crying out loud, he didn't just revive the thread at random, he did it because there's a recent survey on the subject which has been published in the last few days, so there could be something further to discuss on the subject. Is it any wonder you're on the receiving end of so much criticism when you come out with such drivel? :rolleyes:

Oh don't worry.

It's a bit like that football chant, about the opposition only singing when they're winning.

The silly dopes on here only whinge when they're losing...the plot.

;)

jaysay 30-08-2012 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1011485)
Oh don't worry.

It's a bit like that football chant, about the opposition only singing when they're winning.

The silly dopes on here only whinge when they're losing...the plot.

;)

Not so much losing the plot Rindi, think it was lost a long time ago;)

kestrelx 30-08-2012 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1011478)
Er...no.

Wrong, again.

Your memory really is shot to pieces, isn't it?

Please feel free to quote me, showing I did this.

Good luck.

Well I can't be bothered playing your game - sometime back you were banging on about bringing up old threads - it was either you, or someone who backs you and or you worked together. It just proves you are a hypocrite.

kestrelx 30-08-2012 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1011481)

Rubbish - yesterday I had Mancie and Restless both agreeing that Garinda is out of order and stirs up trouble on purpose, there are others who know this also.

He's like a stuck record.

MargaretR 30-08-2012 10:57

After last night's slanging debacle (which Mick rightly deleted), I have changed my signature.

We need to be aware that legal drugs can cause personality changes too.

Wynonie Harris 30-08-2012 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1011489)
Rubbish - yesterday I had Mancie and Restless both agreeing that Garinda is out of order and stirs up trouble on purpose, there are others who know this also.

He's like a stuck record.

So, what's that supposed to prove? I can equally cite members who would say he revived the thread for a legitimate reason. Cashy has already said as much in an earlier post. Still, carry on with your paranoid fantasies if you think it'll help you garner the attention you so obviously crave. :rolleyes:

garinda 30-08-2012 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1011487)
Well I can't be bothered playing your game

What game's that Nigel?

Being able to back up a wild claim with actual evidence, if needs be?

Yes, unlike those apparently lacking any motivation, that's something I can always do quite easily.

The sad thing is, although it's perfectly clear to everyone else, you really don't know just how much your early use of recreational drugs has diminished your ability to comprehend even the simplest of things.

It is, sad.

garinda 30-08-2012 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1011490)
After last night's slanging debacle (which Mick rightly deleted), I have changed my signature.

As evidence for that claim wouldn't you have to compare the behaviour, both before and after the taking of legal, presumably medicinal drugs, so you could make an accurate comparisson, and hopefully arrive at a worthwhile conclusion?

As a conspiracy theory I don't think there's much mileage in this particular one.

garinda 30-08-2012 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1011490)

...and if that was aimed at myself, knowing that I take drugs for Parkinson's disease, but were too mealy-mouthed to actually name me, you may very well be right.

I'm certainly much more relaxed when faced with idiocy, than I was years ago.

Ask anyone who knew me as a child.

I've never been one to suffer fools gladly.

Even ones who are a bit dense, through no fault of their own.

;)

MargaretR 30-08-2012 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1011501)
As evidence for that claim wouldn't you have to compare the behaviour, both before and after the taking of legal, presumably medicinal drugs, so you could make an accurate comparisson, and hopefully arrive at a worthwhile conclusion?

As a conspiracy theory I don't think there's much mileage in this particular one.

No conspiracy involved -

"Designer" Personalities? | Psychology Today

PS- once of a time you wouldn't have ladled out red karma for an opinion expressed without malice

garinda 30-08-2012 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1011507)

But speaking personally, I'm afraid you can't make any accurate comparisson about a change in personality behaviour, because happily for me, we weren't aquainted before you joined this forum.

Still, if it brings some sort of comfort to your life, so be it.

MargaretR 30-08-2012 12:41

Forgive me for finding excuses for you being nasty to people

Dopamine and Personality

garinda 30-08-2012 12:44

Quote:

PS- once of a time you wouldn't have ladled out red karma for an opinion expressed without malice

Wrong.

Again.

Just because you weren't the recipient, doesn't mean it didn't happen in the past.

Your evidence for this particular theory is patchy, to say the very least.

MargaretR 30-08-2012 12:46

I recall you once apologised for your nasty remarks to me.
Todays red karma shows me that times(you) have changed.

garinda 30-08-2012 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1011509)
Forgive me for finding excuses for you being nasty to people

Dopamine and Personality

You're forgiven.

You are wrong, and in an attempt to show kindness to the less fortunate, I forgive you.

Those who've known me a long while, both before and after taking prescribed drugs for Parkinson's, will confirm I've always been as nice as pie...to nice people, but have always been in the habit of giving rude, nasty, or stupid people a taste of their own medicine...with an added dose of poison thrown in for good measure.

No change there then.

Now spark up another roll up, and settle down to spend yet more time reading things you find obviously find distasteful, but which somehow fills up a hole in your life.

:smoky:

MargaretR 30-08-2012 13:02

I think you have proved the point I made :D - thanks for forgiveness

garinda 30-08-2012 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1011511)
I recall you once apologised for your nasty remarks to me.
Todays red karma shows me that times(you) have changed.

That was pity I felt.

I tried to make excuses for some of the crap you've posted before about myself, and my health issues.

It's probably a good job you're a hermit, afraid to go out in case someone's wearing Tweed by Lentheric at the bus stop.

You think I'm scathing?

After reading some of the things you have posted, if you ever meet my mother again, who someone told what drivel you'd come out with on here, you ain't seen nothing yet.

I'm a pussy cat, when dealing with nastiness, in comparisson.

Perhaps personality's more genetic, than influenced by prescribed medicine.

garinda 30-08-2012 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1011516)
I think you have proved the point I made :D - thanks for forgiveness

Oh Margaret, that's the very least I can do for you.

Give, give, give.

kestrelx 30-08-2012 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1011518)
Oh Margaret, that's the very least I can do for you.

Give, give, give.

Your obviously bitter about your illness - which is why your always muck raking and dragging up my brothers activities, which I had nothing to do with and also were over 5 - 6 years back.

Now that I know I can be a bit more empathic and maybe forgive your attitude - maybe - not sure yet.

garinda 30-08-2012 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1011529)
Your obviously bitter about your illness

Er...no, I'm not actually.

I'm very much a glass half full type of person, besides being much too lazy to waste time worrying about things I can't change.

It's a chapter I didn't see coming in life's book, but having Parkinson's has brought about many positive changes in my life.

A pension that paid out, retiring at thirty nine, and leaving the rat race whilst still relatively young, and as many holidays in the sun that I can cope with in a year, bitter?

Yeah, right.

Back to the subject of this thread, the legalisation of recreational drugs.

Here's another poor soul, who suffered the consequences of his decision to take mind-altering drugs, for his own pleasure.

Cannabis is not an innocent drug. Teenage addicts risk significant brain damage | Mail Online

garinda 30-08-2012 14:33

Quote:

At least mine was signed.

Unlike your's, given in return.

Anonymously hinting at some sinister secret about my late father, and aunt, who were childhood neighbours of your's.

You're scraping that barrel so desperately you're almost getting a tune out of it.

Bless you.

Who needs drugs?

It's true.

Laughter is the best medicine.

:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

mobertol 30-08-2012 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1011535)
At least mine was signed.

Unlike your's, given in return.

Anonymously hinting at some sinister secret about my late father, and aunt, who were childhood neighbours of your's.

You're scraping that barrel so desperately you're almost getting a tune out of it.

Bless you.

Who needs drugs?

It's true.

Laughter is the best medicine.

:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

Anonymous venom is foul and cowardly -I hope the Mods can deal with this on your behalf Garinda.

You seem to be taking this with a pinch of salt and good for you for having that attitude.

I am outraged on your behalf...:mad::mad::mad: