Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/should-we-legalise-illegal-drugs-poll-60990.html)

garinda 02-09-2012 00:39

Re: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 1012183)
Seek him out?..are you on the same forum?

Mancie and Rindy, sitting in a tree.

:Banane41:

There's been a few obsessive followers over the years, in which their need to gain my attention verges on the love sick.

I suspect quite a few have had deeper, unresolved issues.

Eventually they do go away.

When they realise there's no way they'll ever match my fairly exacting standards.

Bless 'em.

garinda 02-09-2012 00:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 1012182)
So you reckon hands should be chopped off for some crimes..I don't

Er...yes.

I just said so.

For stealing money raised by the British Legion, by selling poppies.

Has the warden locked your spectacles away for the night, for your own safety?

Mancie 02-09-2012 00:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1012184)
What's your problem now, Vern, you silly goose?

Surely that particular li'l hat won't fit you?

I was referring to the misguided people, who would have wrongly labelled me as being 'healthy' in my early twenties, purely based on their assumption that to them, I appeared 'healthy'.

Where do you fit in?

Thankfully I didn't know you, when l was in my early twenties.

I don't fit in with anyone who is prepared to shoot unarmed young people on the streets of this country..I don't fit in with those who would use amputation as a punishment for theft.. I don't fit in with this governments agenda of increasing the hardship of invalids by cutting needed beniefits.. I don't fit in or with or agree with people posting rubbish about members ..so.. I don't fit in :D

garinda 02-09-2012 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 1012178)
What uh?..take a look..it's all there.. the bloke winds and crawls ..sorry to say there is no well meaning banter between us.. I hate the bloke end of!

I don't hate you, genuinely.

Quite honestly, and happily, I've never hated any person in my life.

Such a waste of time, and effort, and certainly doesn't change anything for the positive. It must just fester, and eat away at you.

I pity anyone who's consumed by such a self-destructive emotion as hate.

If that's truly what you feel, hate, then I really am genuinely sorry for you.

:(

garinda 02-09-2012 00:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 1012187)
I don't fit in with anyone who is prepared to shoot unarmed young people on the streets of this country..I don't fit in with those who would use amputation as a punishment for theft.. I don't fit in with this governments agenda of increasing the hardship of invalids by cutting needed beniefits.. I don't fit in or with or agree with people posting rubbish about members ..so.. I don't fit in :D

Gibberish.

Pish head Mancie's taken over. The one who's sometimes witty, fun even, must have fallen asleep.

Waste of time, attempting any meaningful exchange with this one.

Nighty-night.

Mancie 02-09-2012 00:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1012188)
I don't hate you, genuinely.

Quite honestly, and happily, I've never hated any person in my life.

Such a waste of time, and effort, and certainly doesn't change anything for the positive. It must just fester, and eat away at you.

I pity anyone who's consumed by such a self-destructive emotion as hate.

If that's truly what you feel, hate, then I really am genuinely sorry for you.

:(

Thanks for your concern..have to say I'm so full of love inside that I just can't control it.. the feeling of love and kindness is so strong I'll have to sign off.

garinda 02-09-2012 01:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 1012156)
Maybe when he said he would shoot he's own kids was some kind of nonsense response because he can't reproduce like what normal people do.:(

Oh do shut up, Vern, my li'l stalker.

If you're such an expert on what you reckon I do with my willy, name who, and the religion, of the person I was last in a relationship with, and ending last year?

I'll give you a clue.

Muslim.

Just her name to conjure up now.

Oh, yes, issue.

Frighteningly she's twenty eight next April, and finished her doctorate earlier this year at the Sorbonne. A great gal. Thankfully much more like her mother.

You might as well have a stab at guessing my favourite colour now.

You are so obviously the shiniest button in the button box.

With your brilliant observational skills.

If you're not on smack, bringing us neatly back on thread, you might want to get your gas flue checked instead.

There has to be some kind of explanation.

;)

Restless 02-09-2012 02:42

Had a nice drink. Fell asleep for two hours. Now wide awake. Thought i would have a peak here. I assure you I will rest soon....

but Oh my. You two been at it.

Garinda-- Going back to when you said about 'grassing' so-to-speak. I hope they do not know it is you. I guess this is not recent?

Here is a true story

A person was buying amphetamines when police burst into a house and arrested people. The person buying the amphetamines 'grassed'

In front of his friend. She witnessed it all They jumped him, beat him up and smashed about 10-15 beer bottles on him and I don't know what else. This wasn't enough. They went into his flat and they smashed all his windows, his tv and wrecked almost everything inside. Afterwards they left him alone. But it is one of those stories that haunt me.

garinda 02-09-2012 06:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1012193)
Had a nice drink. Fell asleep for two hours. Now wide awake. Thought i would have a peak here. I assure you I will rest soon....

but Oh my. You two been at it.

Garinda-- Going back to when you said about 'grassing' so-to-speak. I hope they do not know it is you. I guess this is not recent?

Here is a true story

A person was buying amphetamines when police burst into a house and arrested people. The person buying the amphetamines 'grassed'

In front of his friend. She witnessed it all They jumped him, beat him up and smashed about 10-15 beer bottles on him and I don't know what else. This wasn't enough. They went into his flat and they smashed all his windows, his tv and wrecked almost everything inside. Afterwards they left him alone. But it is one of those stories that haunt me.

I rather hope that the majority of people would report the matter, if they'd seen someone regularly selling illegal drugs to children, whilst parked on our streets.

If this is no longer the case, I'm out of here.

I'll return to my own planet.

As there's really no hope for your's.

jaysay 02-09-2012 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 1012103)
Allow me to disagree this once -he's definitely Jim-Bob!!!!!!:D

Your both wrong he's more like Pa:D

jaysay 02-09-2012 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 1012122)
Stop being such a tight-arse Mancie - you live in London -right , not Hyndburn...:rolleyes:

Thought you were part of the progressive, open-minded group of Accyweb...:D

Only when he's sober which ain't often:rolleyes:

jaysay 02-09-2012 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 1012156)
Maybe when he said he would shoot he's own kids was some kind of nonsense response because he can't reproduce like what normal people do.:(

Thats out of order clown:mad:

mobertol 02-09-2012 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1012220)
Your both wrong he's more like Pa:D

Now,now Zebediah -we all know how you love your boy!;)

As to my being Mamma - that makes you my Father-in law:confused::eek:

Must check with Mary-Ellen when she's on-line again - that girl is always gettin' into trouble:D

Restless 02-09-2012 10:16

I am just saying that I think admitting it openly that you "grass" for want of a better term, is a dangerous thing.

Not all dealers will sell to children. Those that do make me sick. Comes down again to what I said before about morals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1012198)
I rather hope that the majority of people would report the matter, if they'd seen someone regularly selling illegal drugs to children, whilst parked on our streets.

jaysay 02-09-2012 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1012240)
I am just saying that I think admitting it openly that you "grass" for want of a better term, is a dangerous thing.

Not all dealers will sell to children. Those that do make me sick. Comes down again to what I said before about morals.

You mean there are drug pushers with morals:confused:

garinda 02-09-2012 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1012240)

Again, that's not what I said.

These dealers were.

When the day comes when I'm too afraid to do the right thing, I'll definitely return to my own planet, and leave you to it.

Happily it hasn't happened yet,

Restless 02-09-2012 11:05

Oh this is just getting stupid now. Jaysay. Your question itself is a trick question. Drug pushers are those that prey on people and 'push' drugs. The answer to this question is of course no; as pushing drugs is an immoral act.

Garinda-- Ok I will leave you to it. If you want to broadcast to the world. Then ok. I just hope that nothing bad happens to you due to these actions.

cashman 02-09-2012 11:08

This is a simple matter of doing the right thing or being a tart, it don't get any clearer n that to me.

jaysay 02-09-2012 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1012264)
Oh this is just getting stupid now. Jaysay. Your question itself is a trick question. Drug pushers are those that prey on people and 'push' drugs. The answer to this question is of course no; as pushing drugs is an immoral act.

Garinda-- Ok I will leave you to it. If you want to broadcast to the world. Then ok. I just hope that nothing bad happens to you due to these actions.

You said that some had morals:confused:

Restless 02-09-2012 11:17

There is a difference between somebody that pushes drugs and somebody that sells drugs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1012269)
You said that some had morals:confused:

Yes. What for just an example I decide to grow a load of cannabis and sell it to a bunch of people that I know. Would this be an immoral act? no it wouldn't. Illegal yes.

But If I bag it up, stand on street corners(do pushers actually do this? I have never seen it) and whisper to little kids...

kestrelx 02-09-2012 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1012275)
There is a difference between somebody that pushes drugs and somebody that sells drugs.

Yes. What for just an example I decide to grow a load of cannabis and sell it to a bunch of people that I know. Would this be an immoral act? no it wouldn't. Illegal yes.

But If I bag it up, stand on street corners(do pushers actually do this? I have never seen it) and whisper to little kids...

Yes it's illegal but growing a bit of cannabis and then sell it to a few mates is your choice to break the law.

But if you sell out side schools and so on to underage children that is highly immoral and you should be given a sentence in my view.

So places in London there are dealers on the street who approach people in the street and offer drugs for sale.

kestrelx 02-09-2012 13:51

Has anyone heard of Khat? (pronounced Cot) It is a plant from Africa - Ethopia and Somalia - it is legal in the UK and gives the user mild euphoria and is a bit like mild speed. It is legally available from Somalia type green grocers, probably maybe some in Blackburn or Manchester.

It comes in bundles of leaves on stalks and has to be chewed to get the effect - the juice from chewing is swallowed and the remaining material spat out. It is a lot of effort to chew it and has a bitter taste and is a bit similar to chewing a bag of liquorice - it takes up to 2 hours to chew enough. It is mainly used by those Ethnic types as a social stimulant in social meetings, bit like British use beer in the pub.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Kh...w=1067&bih=505

susie123 02-09-2012 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1012310)
Has anyone heard of Khat? (pronounced Cot) It is a plant from Africa - Ethopia and Somalia - it is legal in the UK and gives the user mild euphoria and is a bit like mild speed. It is legally available from Somalia type green grocers, probably maybe some in Blackburn or Manchester.

It comes in bundles of leaves on stalks and has to be chewed to get the effect - the juice from chewing is swallowed and the remaining material spat out. It is a lot of effort to chew it and has a bitter taste and is a bit similar to chewing a bag of liquorice - it takes up to 2 hours to chew enough. It is mainly used by those Ethnic types as a social stimulant in social meetings, bit like British use beer in the pub.

Seems like the drug of choice, Kes, according to this graph (see thumbnail below)... but perhaps not legal for too much longer if the Tories have their way...

((From Wikipedia) Although concerns have been expressed by commentators, health professionals and community members about the use of khat in the UK, particularly by immigrants from Somalia, Yemen and Ethiopia, currently it is not a controlled substance.

As a result of these concerns, the Home Office commissioned successive research studies to look into the matter, and in 2005, presented the question of khat's legal status before the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs. After a review of the evidence, the expert committee recommended in January 2006 that the status of khat as a legal substance should remain for the time being.

In 2008, Conservative politician Sayeeda Warsi stated that a future Conservative government would ban khat. The website of the Conservative Party, which is now the largest party in a coalition government in the UK, previously stated that a Conservative government would "Tackle unacceptable cultural practices by", amongst other measures, "classifying Khat". In 2009, the Home Office commissioned two new studies in the effects of khat use and in June 2010, a Home Office spokesperson stated: "The Government is committed to addressing any form of substance misuse and will keep the issue of khat use under close scrutiny".

Because it is legal in the UK, and because of khat's short shelf life, Britain serves as a main gateway for khat being sent by air to North America.
During a debate on the legality on the 11 January 2012, UK Member of Parliament for Milton Keynes Mark Lancaster, Conservative, stated importation of Khat into the UK stands at 10 tonnes every week.

cashman 02-09-2012 14:21

Stupid in my opinion, explaining on a forum, how to obtain n use.

Restless 02-09-2012 14:25

After watching the documentary on beeb about "legal highs" I think they are also a serious problem. People ingesting bath salts to get high and such. ugh

susie123 02-09-2012 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1012319)
Stupid in my opinion, explaining on a forum, how to obtain n use.

No one's forcing you to buy and use it, just as no one's forcing you to buy a pint of beer or a packet of fags...

kestrelx 02-09-2012 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1012318)
Seems like the drug of choice, Kes, according to this graph... but perhaps not legal for too much longer if the Tories have their way...

((From Wikipedia) Although concerns have been expressed by commentators, health professionals and community members about the use of khat in the UK, particularly by immigrants from Somalia, Yemen and Ethiopia, currently it is not a controlled substance.

As a result of these concerns, the Home Office commissioned successive research studies to look into the matter, and in 2005, presented the question of khat's legal status before the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs. After a review of the evidence, the expert committee recommended in January 2006 that the status of khat as a legal substance should remain for the time being.

In 2008, Conservative politician Sayeeda Warsi stated that a future Conservative government would ban khat. The website of the Conservative Party, which is now the largest party in a coalition government in the UK, previously stated that a Conservative government would "Tackle unacceptable cultural practices by", amongst other measures, "classifying Khat". In 2009, the Home Office commissioned two new studies in the effects of khat use and in June 2010, a Home Office spokesperson stated: "The Government is committed to addressing any form of substance misuse and will keep the issue of khat use under close scrutiny".

Because it is legal in the UK, and because of khat's short shelf life, Britain serves as a main gateway for khat being sent by air to North America.
During a debate on the legality on the 11 January 2012, UK Member of Parliament for Milton Keynes Mark Lancaster, Conservative, stated importation of Khat into the UK stands at 10 tonnes every week.

Mmm well thanks for that Sue, probaly reason why it's been legal so long is that it's used by those people from Somalia and Yemen etc and is not the kind of thing that would appeal to British people for a social drug. Because it takes ages to chew and is quite a bad taste, also can't drink alcohol on it, kids in the UK just wouldn't take to this. 2 hours of chewing to get a high. It suits the ethnics because it's a social custom to sit round chewing it - but would not suit British Cultural social etiquette.

Also it can't be distilled or the main component extracted. It goes off radpidly and has to be consumed within 48hours after picking. It is flown over here in refrigerated planes and it's potency deteriorates rapidly.

cashman 02-09-2012 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1012322)
No one's forcing you to buy and use it, just as no one's forcing you to buy a pint of beer or a packet of fags...

Obviously but still if you think that showing kids the way is ok, yer entitled to.:(

susie123 02-09-2012 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1012323)
Mmm well thanks for that Sue, probaly reason why it's been legal so long is that it's used by those people from Somalia and Yemen etc and is not the kind of thing that would appeal to British people for a social drug. Because it takes ages to chew and is quite a bad taste, also can't drink alcohol on it, kids in the UK just wouldn't take to this. 2 hours of chewing to get a high. It suits the ethnics because it's a social custom to sit round chewing it - but would not suit British Cultural social etiquette.

Pity - it actually sounds quite civilised - like the Arabs and their hookahs in cafes.

Restless 02-09-2012 14:43

Perhaps all drugs(alcohol included of course) related threads should be moved to 18+

kestrelx 02-09-2012 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1012327)
Pity - it actually sounds quite civilised - like the Arabs and their hookahs in cafes.

There is one near me, they are in their all day chewing the stuff.:D

Restless 02-09-2012 14:45

I think i will stick to my whiskey thank you :D

Wynonie Harris 02-09-2012 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1012334)
I think i will stick to my whiskey thank you :D

Irish, I presume?

Restless 02-09-2012 15:11

Because of the spelling?

I like Bushmills Irish whiskey. But. I prefer American whiskies. My favourite at the moment is Jim Beam Red Stagg. It is a black cherry infused whiskey. Goes down a treat :) Expensive though; when not on special offer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1012337)
Irish, I presume?

Wynonie Harris 02-09-2012 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1012340)
Because of the spelling?

I like Bushmills Irish whiskey. But. I prefer American whiskies. My favourite at the moment is Jim Beam Red Stagg. It is a black cherry infused whiskey. Goes down a treat :) Expensive though; when not on special offer.

"black cherry infused whisky"? Gordon Bennett, Mr R! Think I'll stick with me Johnnie Walker Black Label. ;)

Restless 02-09-2012 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1012342)
"black cherry infused whisky"? Gordon Bennett, Mr R! Think I'll stick with me Johnnie Walker Black Label. ;)

It is a lot better than it sounds. I bought it by chance when it was first introduced in the ASDA at £14. Usually it is around £22

It is one of those whiskies that you can drink straight and not wretch. Very smooth and sweet.

I went to the races with my father a few months back. Beverley in Yorkshire. Geese I loved that town. So clean, tidy and nice town centre. Cobbled thin streets. However :) Whilst I was there I tried a new Jack Daniels whiskey. JD Honey. Now that was weird!

Wynonie Harris 02-09-2012 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1012344)
It is a lot better than it sounds. I bought it by chance when it was first introduced in the ASDA at £14. Usually it is around £22

It is one of those whiskies that you can drink straight and not wretch. Very smooth and sweet.

I went to the races with my father a few months back. Beverley in Yorkshire. Geese I loved that town. So clean, tidy and nice town centre. Cobbled thin streets. However :) Whilst I was there I tried a new Jack Daniels whiskey. JD Honey. Now that was weird!

I always drink whisky straight and never retch! Still, each to his own. Certainly sounds better than chewing cats or whatever it is kestrel's on about! ;)

Restless 02-09-2012 15:30

I think im slowly getting there as I age a little :) though I like to have ice with it.

I used to retch(oops I just noticed my spelling) all the time drinking whiskey straight and used to always drink it with coke or iron bru.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1012345)
I always drink whisky straight and never retch! Still, each to his own. Certainly sounds better than chewing cats or whatever it is kestrel's on about! ;)

Wynonie Harris 02-09-2012 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1012347)
I think im slowly getting there as I age a little :) though I like to have ice with it.

I used to retch(oops I just noticed my spelling) all the time drinking whiskey straight and used to always drink it with coke or iron bru.

Whisky with coke or irn bru? :eek: You've got me retching now at the very thought of it. It's like putting tomato sauce on fillet steak.

As my old feller used to say, "what a waste of good whisky".

susie123 02-09-2012 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1012349)
Whisky with coke or irn bru? :eek: You've got me retching now at the very thought of it. It's like putting tomato sauce on fillet steak.

The only thing you put in whisky is more.

Wynonie Harris 02-09-2012 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1012354)

Exactly!!!

garinda 02-09-2012 16:04

Quote:

Or as appealing as making love, whilst wearing wet-suits, and masks and snorkels.

Properly rubbered up.

:rolleyes::eek::D

Khat's really bad for oral health, by the way.

Don't expect to keep your peggys into old age, or get many snogs, as your breath will stink.

Can cause many peridontal problems, and there's also an increased risk of oral cancer.

For those reasons alone, probably not something that should be held up as being an easy way of getting your legal rocks off.

Less 02-09-2012 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1012322)

How very true, but would you feel so proud about such a statement if it helped a child/teenager down the road to ruin?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1012332)
Perhaps all drugs(alcohol included of course) related threads should be moved to 18+

No, any children reading this stupid thread should be able to see that adults know nothing, they just bitch, Kids, please if you're reading this thread don't be tempted towards drugs, safe sex is far more enjoyable.
:o

Restless 02-09-2012 16:56

my housemate mixes energy drinks with his

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1012354)

jaysay 02-09-2012 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1012310)

That seems like a very good description of something that someone has tried and tested, what score out of ten would you give it;)

jaysay 02-09-2012 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1012342)

Can't better that my friend, I'll raise a glass to that:D

jaysay 02-09-2012 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1012386)
my housemate mixes energy drinks with his

Has he ever tried Buckfast and Lucozade:D

Eric 02-09-2012 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 1012103)
Allow me to disagree this once -he's definitely Jim-Bob!!!!!!:D

Angels and ministers of grace:eek: With names like those, I would have to have sex with my sister (fortunately, I'm an only chile;)), eat mayonaise sandwiches, listen to C&W, and vote Republican.:D

However, I will state that my position on this question comes from a firm belief that a "war on drugs" with all it's regressive laws will not solve the problems associated with drugs. In fact, it exacerbates them; and it dooms thousands in Mexico, Columbia, Honduras etc. As with my opposition to capital punishment, it is based on a belief that harsh laws do not work. If capital punishment did act as a deterrent, I would personally volunteer to pull the switch, or the trigger. And if I could be convinced that wars on drugs would end the miseries and pain associated with them, I would fully support those laws. Lidices don't work ... never have worked, never will work.

Restless 02-09-2012 17:48

Nah. Doubt he would drink that buckfast. Actually I have only seen that once. In the shop on Milnshaw Lane. Too expensive for what it is. Waste of money

garinda 02-09-2012 17:52

A question to those who use recreational drugs.

Does their legal status prevent you from taking your chosen drugs?

Have you ever faced criminal charges for using them?

I'd suggest not. Certainly not in the last twenty odd years.

I don't know anyone who has.

If recreational drugs were all legalised, it's my opinion that some would take that as a green light that it's risk free to use them.

Young people especially aren't known for worrying about life in the long-term. Today, and tomorrow is enough for them to get their head round. Plus, when you're that age, everyone thinks they're invincible anyway. Most teenagers disregard any possible risks with the eternal youthful claim that 'It'll never happen to me'.

Today, as the law in this country more or less turns a blind eye to possession for personal use, how will legalising whatever you take be benefical to you?

I'm already assuming you have the sense to be using a dealer, who's drugs, as far as quality control, you already trust.

I'm genuinely interested to know how decriminalising these drugs will make your enjoyment of them any better, than it already is?

I certainly don't know any users who don't already take exactly what they want, when they want, even though they're classed as illegal now...in theory at least.

What benefits would there be to you, if the current status quo was interfered with?

jaysay 02-09-2012 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1012402)
Nah. Doubt he would drink that buckfast. Actually I have only seen that once. In the shop on Milnshaw Lane. Too expensive for what it is. Waste of money

Try it with lucozade, it'll curl your toes up:D

Less 02-09-2012 17:56

:hippy:I considered quoting rindy's post, but, who cares? Just don't Bogart that joint.:hippy:

yerself 02-09-2012 18:08

Quote:

I'm still trying to work out the relationship between Beverley and Geese but if you like a smooth whiskey try a dram of this:
http://img.thewhiskyexchange.com/150/irish_gre2.jpg
Greenore 8 Year Old
70cl / 40%
Irish Single Grain Whiskey
A gold medal-winner at the International Wine & Spirits Competition, this unique concoction is a 100% Single Grain Irish whiskey, from the multi-award-winning Cooley distillery in Dundalk.

garinda 02-09-2012 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1012401)
Angels and ministers of grace:eek: With names like those, I would have to have sex with my sister (fortunately, I'm an only chile;)), eat mayonaise sandwiches, listen to C&W, and vote Republican.:D

However, I will state that my position on this question comes from a firm belief that a "war on drugs" with all it's regressive laws will not solve the problems associated with drugs. In fact, it exacerbates them; and it dooms thousands in Mexico, Columbia, Honduras etc. As with my opposition to capital punishment, it is based on a belief that harsh laws do not work. If capital punishment did act as a deterrent, I would personally volunteer to pull the switch, or the trigger. And if I could be convinced that wars on drugs would end the miseries and pain associated with them, I would fully support those laws. Lidices don't work ... never have worked, never will work.

The law in the U.K. as it already stands, regarding possession, can no way be described as being 'harsh', as it is now.

I've known hundreds who used/use them, but don't personally know anyone who's been punished by the law for taking them.

How would total decriminalisation benefit anyone?

As the law's turned a blind eye, at the same time usage here has also increased massively, and hence there's been relatively more misery caused, for those whose addiction does spiral out of control.

This is one thing we'll never agree on, I'm afraid. As I firmly believe decriminalisation will lead to more misery, for some, than there is already.

Eric 02-09-2012 18:10

Quote:

Ketchup on steak:eek: Reminds me of a Yogi Bear cartoon:

yogi bear a clip from "a bear pair"

The only thing to take with your whisky is your own saliva:theband:

And those of you who like whisky, or love it, should try some of this stuff:

Forty Creek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has my imprimatur.;)

jaysay 02-09-2012 18:16

Eric Canadian Club with ginger was my tipple at one time, just the odd one at the end of the night, prefered a pint of Lion or Thwaites Mild misen

Eric 02-09-2012 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1012412)
The law in the U.K. as it already stands, regarding possession, can no way be described as being 'harsh', as it is now.

I've known hundreds who used/use them, but don't personally know anyone who's been punished by the law for taking them.

How would toral decriminalisation benefit anyone?

As the law's turned a blind eye, at the same time usage here has also increased massively, and hence there's been relatively more misery caused, for those whose addiction does spiral out of control.

This is one thing we'll never agree on, I'm afraid. As I firmly believe decriminalisation will lead to more misery, for some, than there is already.

I think that one thing we could agree on is that whatever is being done now to address the problem ... and I do agree there is a massive problem of drug use in the "developed" nations ... is not working. In fact, the problems are getting worse. Look at Mexico ... but not close up, it ain't a safe place to go any more. Governments are approaching the problem in the same way that Douglas Haig approached that of breaking the German line.:rolleyes: More of the same, but with bigger guns and more ammo.

Eric 02-09-2012 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1012414)
Eric Canadian Club with ginger was my tipple at one time, just the odd one at the end of the night, prefered a pint of Lion or Thwaites Mild misen

CC ain't bad ... but to truly appreciate the best that rye can give, it has to be Forty Creek, Crown Royal, or Alberta Springs Sipping Whisky.:theband: If I ever get back over that side of the pond, I'll smuggle a bunch in ... that will make it an illegal drug, eh:D

Oh, and Susie, before you pounce, I always split my infinitives when I'm with Yoda.;)

Restless 02-09-2012 18:48

Who are those questions aimed at?

susie123 02-09-2012 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1012416)
CC ain't bad ... but to truly appreciate the best that rye can give, it has to be Forty Creek, Crown Royal, or Alberta Springs Sipping Whisky.:theband: If I ever get back over that side of the pond, I'll smuggle a bunch in ... that will make it an illegal drug, eh:D

Oh, and Susie, before you pounce, I always split my infinitives when I'm with Yoda.;)

On this one I wouldn't dream of it... the other alternatives just don't sound right... Yoda or no Yoda!

garinda 02-09-2012 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1012415)
I think that one thing we could agree on is that whatever is being done now to address the problem ... and I do agree there is a massive problem of drug use in the "developed" nations ... is not working. In fact, the problems are getting worse. Look at Mexico ... but not close up, it ain't a safe place to go any more. Governments are approaching the problem in the same way that Douglas Haig approached that of breaking the German line.:rolleyes: More of the same, but with bigger guns and more ammo.

In my opinion there's a direct correlation between the relatively new blind-eye approach to possession, as far as the law is concerned in the U.K., and the fact that there has been a massive increase in the number of people using recreational drugs, and the ease which they can now be accessed.

I can only see the associated problems some people suffer, increasing, if there was a total decriminalisation of these substances.

Getting to know young kids, who sell their bodies on the street to fund their habit, and not anything posted here, has made me believe that any lessening in numbers taking these drugs, means less misery for the unlucky few risk takers.

garinda 02-09-2012 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1012420)
Who are those questions aimed at?

I'm sorry, I really don't know who your question is addressed to.

In the event it was to myself, I thought I'd made that perfectly clear, in the opening sentence.

:confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1012405)
A question to those who use recreational drugs.

Restless 02-09-2012 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1012446)
In the event it was to myself

Yeah I was meant to quote you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1012446)
I thought I'd made that perfectly clear, in the opening sentence.

Really. Do you have to be so Obstinate all the time? :p

You must of had some members in mind posting these questions.

Im curious now though. Will any drug users come forward and answer garinda's questions?

kestrelx 03-09-2012 00:17

Well the questions a duffer for starters:

"Should we legalise illegal drugs?" Fact is we have nowt to do with it and the politicianst are the ones who are able to make this decision in the long run. As far as I am concerned I don't care really as there are too many who don't want drugs legalised and I can't be bothrered argueing anymore.:(

garinda 03-09-2012 06:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1012510)
Well the questions a duffer for starters:

"Should we legalise illegal drugs?" Fact is we have nowt to do with it and the politicianst are the ones who are able to make this decision in the long run. As far as I am concerned I don't care really as there are too many who don't want drugs legalised and I can't be bothrered argueing anymore.:(

This thread was only started, so a poll coild be attached, so we could gauge just how much support there is here for the total decriminalisation of recreational drugs, after you, yourself, raised the subject, in this thread you started...

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ugs-55943.html

Happily it seems there's very little support, for the legalisation of recreational drugs.

:)

Restless 03-09-2012 06:14

Agreed- I think all that can be said has been said in this thread. Too depressing to keep reading it. After my trip back from hove/winchester i am going to ignore this thread. Life is better without it

Mick 03-09-2012 06:15

As some of you will know me and a friend have just got back from a trip to Amsterdam
where cannabis is legal .
but it can only be smoked in the designated cafe shops and is controlled there is no problems with it there there is very little crime and the city what we saw was clean and no empty shops for rent or sale that we could see at all your not allowed to walk the streets with a joint, the only obnoxious people we met was a group of people from Blackburn that where shouting obscenities and being a nuisance and it was the women doing most of the shouting.

garinda 03-09-2012 06:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1012501)
Im curious now though. Will any drug users come forward and answer garinda's questions?

Perhaps there'll be no beneficial change, to how they enjoy their drugs, if they were legalised.

Sp there's no need to reply.

;)

Restless 03-09-2012 06:19

My friend at work went on a late honeymoon to France and had the same experience. He had walked up to someone and attempted to talk to someone in French for directions or whatever. The guy had replied "do I look like a £$%£$%" or something like that back to him in an English accent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1012517)
from Blackburn that where shouting obscenities and being a nuisance and it was the women doing most of the shouting.

garinda 03-09-2012 06:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1012518)
Perhaps there'll be no beneficial change, to how they enjoy their drugs, if they were legalised.

;)

It's not like there'll be any Amsterdam style cafes they can sit getting stoned in, because of the smoking ban.

Restless 03-09-2012 06:31

Quote:

Only benefit would be that they would have documentation on how to use them safely and the risks of using them pointed out. Though it might amount to a pathetic warning such as "smoke them responsibly" or "don't share a needle" :rolleyes:

A country where people can go around injecting smack and smoking crack-cocaine legally would be a weird place to live. Thank god(that i dont believe in) that these drugs ARE illegal.

Quote:

;)

Depressing because I am happy to debate this seriously. But I am not happy to read derogatory comments added on to comments, or see it get out of hand again. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1012520)
It's not like there'll be any Amsterdam style cafes they can sit getting stoned in, because of the smoking ban.

They could use vaporizers

Mick 03-09-2012 06:37

Just as a side note on the ferry (Pride of Hull) in the bars there is a notice saying they cant sell tobacco or cigarettes or alcohol to those under 18.
as we entered international waters these signs where taken down
on the way back when within the 3 mile limit they where put back up hehe

garinda 03-09-2012 06:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1012521)
Only benefit would be that they would have documentation on how to use them safely and the risks of using them pointed out. Though it might amount to a pathetic warning such as "smoke them responsibly" or "don't share a needle"

As you've already stated you don't use illegal drugs recreationally, my asking the question wanting to know how a user's enjoyment of them would be any better if they were decriminalised, can't really be answered by yourself.

My point being, that as it stands now, there's already very little chance of anyone being prosecuted for possession of these illegal drugs, and using whatever they want to.

garinda 03-09-2012 06:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1012523)
Just as a side note on the ferry (Pride of Hull) in the bars there is a notice saying they cant sell tobacco or cigarettes or alcohol to those under 18.
on the way back when within the 3 mile limit they where put back up hehe

They might start bringing back the pirate ships, like Caroline, so people can sail out to them for a night out, so they can enjoy a fag with their pint.

Good one for Dragons' Crack Den.

I bet Hilary would invest in my idea.

:D

jaysay 03-09-2012 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1012523)
on the way back when within the 3 mile limit they where put back up here

It would appear that GB is the only country who care about what young people do Mick, well in principle that is, in reality they're all the same, or whats in a notice:D

kestrelx 03-09-2012 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1012526)
As you've already stated you don't use illegal drugs recreationally, my asking the question wanting to know how a user's enjoyment of them would be any better if they were decriminalised, can't really be answered by yourself.

My point being, that as it stands now, there's already very little chance of anyone being prosecuted for possession of these illegal drugs, and using whatever they want to.

Well the first thing that would change in a users enjoyment is they would no longer have to fear getting pulled up by the Law and arrested. I think perhaps the prospect of breaking the law as it stands can affect the enjoyment of drug use on some occasions.

garinda 03-09-2012 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1012572)
Well the first thing that would change in a users enjoyment is they would no longer have to fear getting pulled up by the Law and arrested. I think perhaps the prospect of breaking the law as it stands can affect the enjoyment of drug use on some occasions.

As stated earlier, of all the hundreds, probably thousands of people I've met who take illegal recreational drugs, in the last twenty odd years not one of them has been charged with possesion for personal use.

So that argument doesn't really wash.

garinda 03-09-2012 10:50

Quote:

As my question said it was quite clearly aimed at those who currently use recreational drugs, and you've posted that you no longer do, I can't really understand why you added your opinion, after earlier today saying this...

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1012510)
I can't be bothrered argueing anymore.

kestrelx 03-09-2012 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1012585)
As my question said it was quite clearly aimed at those who currently use recreational drugs, and you've posted that you no longer do, I can't really understand why you added your opinion, after earlier today saying this...

That's what I said "can't be bothered Argueing!" and it seems you are hell bent on starting argueing again - so I won't take you up on it! ;) Argueing and discussing something are two different things.

I don't do any illegal drugs at all. Don't even smoke for 3 1/2 years. Coffee and tea are my addiction with a bit of alcohol every now and again.

garinda 03-09-2012 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1012588)
That's what I said "can't be bothered Argueing!" and it seems you are hell bent on starting argueing again - so I won't take you up on it! ;)

I don't do any illegal drugs at all. Don't even smoke for 3 1/2 years. Coffee and tea are my addiction with a bit of alcohol every now and again.

As stated, you've said you no longer take recreational drugs, so my question, asking how it will be benefical to those who freely use them now, who don't face prosecution for possession, clearly wasn't aimed at you, because you can't answer.

I just wondered why you'd therefore posted, after earlier today saying you wouldn't, that's all.

garinda 03-09-2012 11:09

Quote:

That's what I said "can't be bothered Argueing!" and it seems you are hell bent on starting argueing again - so I won't take you up on it! ;) Argueing and discussing something are two different things.

Perhaps you should take a chill pill.

:rolleyes:

Eric 03-09-2012 15:31

Quote:

What you do in your personl life is irrelevant, and it adds nothing to this argument ... or to any serious general discussion. This is a debate, for the most part serious; any apologia would be best saved for your autobiography. Which, by the way, I will read if you send me a complimentary copy;)

Less 03-09-2012 15:43

Quote:

I think perhaps the prospect of breaking the law as it stands can affect the enjoyment of drug use on some occasions.

On very rare occasions I am tempted towards committing murder, would making murder legal enhance or detract from my enjoyment whilst performing that act?

jaysay 03-09-2012 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1012665)
On very rare occasions I am tempted towards committing murder, would making murder legal enhance or detract from my enjoyment whilst performing that act?

Think it may depend on who's neck you had your hands round at that time Less :rolleyes:

garinda 03-09-2012 18:23

Quote:

I have had the occasional pang of guilt, whilst attacking my victim.

This might very well not happen, if it wasn't against the law.

mobertol 03-09-2012 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1012709)
I have had the occasional pang of guilt, whilst attacking my victim.

This might very well not happen, if it wasn't against the law.

Are you sure it doesn't work the other way - the danger heightening the thrill of the moment...:dflam:

garinda 03-09-2012 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 1012711)
Are you sure it doesn't work the other way - the danger heightening the thrill of the moment...:dflam:

I don't get a thrill.

I just listen to the voices in my head.

Telling me to do it...because they so obviously desereve it, for what they've done.

;)

mobertol 03-09-2012 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1012717)
I don't get a thrill.

I just listen to the voices in my head.

Telling me to do it...because they so obviously desereve it, for what they've done.

;)

I know just what you mean - I was brought up to do what I was told to do to, sort of becomes second-nature after a while, doesn't it?;)

Better for someone else to go to the fiery furnace - I can always be absolved of my sins by saying a number of rosaries -there's something so soothing about repeating the same words over and over and over...:rolleyes::angel:

garinda 03-09-2012 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 1012722)
I was brought up to do what I was told to do to, sort of becomes second-nature after a while, doesn't it?

I was raised by my parents believing that you shouldn't always do, what you're told to do.

'Listen to those voices in your head.'

'Bangin' on about 'The right thing to do'.'

'As they're very rarely wrong, son.'

;):D

mobertol 03-09-2012 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1012728)
I was raised by my parents believing that you shouldn't always do, what you're told to do.

'Listen to those voices in your head.'

'Bangin' on about 'The right thing to do'.'

'As they're very rarely wrong, son.'

;):D

Idem.

Aha! Just as long as you don't cry wolf too often;):D

a-ha Cry Wolf 1986 - YouTube

I believe this was from the "Voices in my head" album - you may remember it :confused:

Houseboy 04-09-2012 09:18

Having been away I have to say I'm sorry I missed this one and most has probably been said but I am actually in favour of at least de-criminalising the use of drugs. I have often said that there should be no interference with anyone's personal lifestyle choices as long as they harm no-one else.
Before I get shot down by people shouting, "What about the drug addicts who steal and rob to fuel the habit", I would say this: a few years ago the then chief constable of Middlesborough, who had one of the most efficient anti-drug squads in the country, said that there was no hard and fast proof that this was the case. He said that the vast majority of drug users who stole and robbed were thieves and robbers before they ever started using drugs.
I have known a lot of drug users over the years and I have found exactly the same. I have known addicts who would never steal from anyone and the ones who did were all into crime prior to any involvement with the drug scene.
I believe, perhaps wrongly because you can only judge anything by your own experience, that the connection between crime and drugs is more a created thing by the powers that be because they wish to stop drug use as it is not in their interests. Most drug users are only "criminals" because society (or authority) has made their use illegal.

cashman 04-09-2012 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Houseboy (Post 1012821)
Having been away I have to say I'm sorry I missed this one and most has probably been said but I am actually in favour of at least de-criminalising the use of drugs. I have often said that there should be no interference with anyone's personal lifestyle choices as long as they harm no-one else.
Before I get shot down by people shouting, "What about the drug addicts who steal and rob to fuel the habit", I would say this: a few years ago the then chief constable of Middlesborough, who had one of the most efficient anti-drug squads in the country, said that there was no hard and fast proof that this was the case. He said that the vast majority of drug users who stole and robbed were thieves and robbers before they ever started using drugs.
I have known a lot of drug users over the years and I have found exactly the same. I have known addicts who would never steal from anyone and the ones who did were all into crime prior to any involvement with the drug scene.
I believe, perhaps wrongly because you can only judge anything by your own experience, that the connection between crime and drugs is more a created thing by the powers that be because they wish to stop drug use as it is not in their interests. Most drug users are only "criminals" because society (or authority) has made their use illegal.

So how did yeh miss this one? the thread was started in March, unless yeh had a long holiday?:D Or perhaps yeh been having a toot as well?:D

jaysay 04-09-2012 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1012825)
So how did yeh miss this one? the thread was started in March, unless yeh had a long holiday?:D Or perhaps yeh been having a toot as well?:D

Don't think the Houseboy is very observant cashy:rolleyes:

garinda 04-09-2012 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Houseboy (Post 1012821)

If you smoke the odd bit of weed you probably aren't going to break the law, to allow you to do this.

However, if you're a seventeen year old teenager, funding a heroin habit, I think you'll find there aren't that many job opportunities that will pay you enough to fund your addiction, without resorting to other money making activities.

garinda 04-09-2012 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1012834)
If you smoke the odd bit of weed you probably aren't going to break the law, to allow you to do this.

However, if you're a seventeen year old teenager, funding a heroin habit, I think you'll find there aren't that many job opportunities that will pay you enough to fund your addiction, without resorting to other money making activities.

Plus, the young people I worked with, who were forced into becoming sex workers to fund their addictions to drugs like heroin and crack cocaine, weren't in any fit state to hold down jobs which required them to work regular hours.

garinda 04-09-2012 10:11

...and although soliciting on the street as a prostitute is a criminal offence in this country, these were the lucky ones.

They managed to fund their addiction, without creating a victim. (Other than themselves.)

Unlike the addicts who went out on the rob, to get enough money to score their next hit.

kestrelx 04-09-2012 10:47

Quote:

Murder and taking illegal drugs have no connection.:D Bradey loved murder even though he knew eventually he'd be caught.

It's obvious that if someone's just had a good smoke of dope, in their flat and they then set off with various drugs on their person, the old paranoia's about having those illegal drugs and walking across town are going to rear their heads! Thus without doubt if cannabis and other drugs were legal I think there would be less people suffering from paranoia or psychosis! That said at the moment this society will not legalise drugs - so it's not gonna happen is it.

garinda 04-09-2012 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1012844)
Murder and taking illegal drugs have no connection.:D Bradey loved murder even though he knew eventually he'd be caught.

It's obvious that if someone's just had a good smoke of dope, in their flat and they then set off with various drugs on their person, the old paranoia's about having those illegal drugs and walking across town are going to rear their heads! Thus without doubt if cannabis and other drugs were legal I think there would be less people suffering from paranoia or psychosis! That said at the moment this society will not legalise drugs - so it's not gonna happen is it.

Recreational drug users might very well suffer from paranoia.

Unfoundly so.

As in reality, as far as the current justice system stands, it's a fact they aren't going to be charged with possession for personal use.

You're right about one thing at least.

There's very little public support for the total decriminalisation of recreational drugs, meaning it's unlikely to ever happen.

Happily.

:)

Houseboy 04-09-2012 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1012825)

Ah, well observed Cashman. I came back off my hols and this was top of the list, thought it was new. If I was given to embarrassment I would certainly be that now.
I promise I'll be more observant next time.

Houseboy 04-09-2012 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1012832)
Don't think the Houseboy is very observant cashy:rolleyes:

The reason I miss things is that I don't have time to read everything on here, there are more things than computers in my life, so I have to plead ignorance sometimes.