Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Please Remember (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/please-remember-62343.html)

Less 07-09-2012 16:13

Please Remember

Everyone on this site is allowed an opinion, no matter how wrong it may seem, we do appear to be hard on some newbies, is there a fair and honest reason why?

I think the answer is yes, any newbie that comes on site to correct everyone, change what works to something that suits them is wrong.
Anyone that comes on site can't be bothered to read what has come before no matter how trivial or askew a posters point may be is wrong.

We aren't like other sites, we don't always stick directly to the point a thread may have been started for.

We are however alive, compared with other sites that started around the same time, we are more than alive we are what these newbies come here for a vibrant site that stretches it's rules until breaking point, the worst thing that could happen to this site is if we gave way to newbies, accept them? Yes, I accept them with open arms until they want to change what is working to what they think the site aught to be.

Yes there is a solid core of long term members, there are also long term members that drift in and out, there are new members that add to the site with their humour, outlook and common sense that suddenly ARE long term members.

Unfortunately there are also new members that demand we change...

Into what? Burnleyweb? long gone.
Blackburnweb yeah right if you want to be a crowd on your own.

Or could we just stay as we are, willing to change and grow as life goes on but determined to be AccyWeb no matter how wrong a newbie may think we are?

Strange as it may seem, I love everyone of you, and couldn't live without you.

:D

MargaretR 07-09-2012 16:37

Re: Please Remember

When members leave, and when newbies don't stay for long, it is evident that some regulars have been offensive. That needs to change and (even) newbies have the right to expect and suggest that it should.

In the same way that you would not associate with offensive people in a social setting, you prefer they not enter your home on a screen.

The usual answer to them is 'we like it here, if you don't - leave'.

The long term future result will be a small core of offensive people who just enjoy insulting each other.

The signs that it is happening has surfaced recently.

churchfcrules 07-09-2012 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1013963)
When members leave, and when newbies don't stay for long, it is evident that some regulars have been offensive. That needs to change and (even) newbies have the right to expect and suggest that it should.

In the same way that you would not associate with offensive people in a social setting, you prefer they not enter your home on a screen.

The long term future result will be a small core of offensive people who just enjoy insulting each other.

:)

MargaretR 07-09-2012 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by churchfcrules (Post 1013964)
:)

I'm feeling brave today :D

churchfcrules 07-09-2012 16:58

Bullies on Internet discussion forums

saves me typing it

jaysay 07-09-2012 17:12

I agree with every word Less, well said

garinda 07-09-2012 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1013963)

That's life.

I remember someone posting, unfairly in my opinion, that they were leaving the forum, and naming you, as the reason why.

Too hot?

Dislike rooms with stoves, sinks, pots and pans?

Probably an unwise career choice then, being a chef.

Everyone here was a newbie at one time.

I, like most, probably stepped on a few toes, but I took any flak, regardless. I didn't expect the forum to fit around me. I knew it would have to be the other way round, if I was to be accepted into the fold.

It would be silly to think this forum was for everyone. It won't be.

What I think is sillier personally, are the members who stick around, to moan about a supposed golden age on here.

There wasn't one, or if there was, it's now, today.

For as Less posted, and others, like Wynonie say often, look around you at other local forums, Accy Web is a success, and unlike many, it's still here.

The council were given half a million quid of tax payers' money to start a rival local forum...which closed within the year.

Accy Web is like a soap. Big, and smaller characters come, and go, yet the show manages to survive.

If it ever stops interesting me here, there'll be no teary goodbye threads. I'll just get in my cab, and go off down the virtual cobbles, without so much as a backwards glance.

In the meantime...get used to it.

Accy Web isn't broken, and any attempt to fix it will most likely be challenged.

;)

susie123 07-09-2012 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1013956)
Anyone that comes on site can't be bothered to read what has come before no matter how trivial or askew a posters point may be is wrong.

Strange as it may seem, I love everyone of you, and couldn't live without you.

:D

Some long threads would be easier to read if they weren't interrupted every few posts by sniping and nastiness. I do find myself giving up on some for that reason even when I wish to post a pertinent comment.

I love you too Less!

garinda 07-09-2012 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by churchfcrules (Post 1013968)
saves me typing it

More of the same then, please.

;)

jaysay 07-09-2012 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1013987)
Some long threads would be easier to read if they weren't interrupted every few posts by sniping and nastiness. I do find myself giving up on some for that reason even when I wish to post a pertinent comment.

I love you too Less!

Flattery will get you everywhere:rolleyes:

garinda 07-09-2012 17:41

Quote:

Some long threads would be easier to read if they weren't interrupted every few posts by sniping and nastiness.

What about those who pop in, and keep threads even more active, adding nothing, other than their view is that a thread is going round in circles, and boring.

:rolleyes:

Nasty is, as nasty does.

I love you too.

I love everyone.

I ain't fussy.

;)

garinda 07-09-2012 17:46

Quote:

I do find myself giving up

Shame on you.

I'd have creditd you with a little more mettle.

No thing, or no person, will ever prevent me from speaking my mind, if I believe it needs saying.

susie123 07-09-2012 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 1013994)
What about those who pop in, and keep threads even more active, adding nothing, other than their view is that a thread is going round in circles, and boring.

:rolleyes:

Nasty is, as nasty does.

I love you too.

I love everyone.

I ain't fussy.

;)

I see you're drinking at the Well of Loneliness.

jaysay 07-09-2012 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1013998)

No such place if your a member on here:rolleyes:

cashman 07-09-2012 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1013998)

I see yer drowning in it.:D