Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Are you sick to the E.U.? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/are-you-sick-to-the-e-u-62760.html)

DaveinGermany 31-10-2012 14:15

Re: Are you sick to the E.U.?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1025744)
I'm sure he can see that the 95% do give a stuff.

Not necessarily, it's a Bolicticians 95% when all's said & done. ;)

For us peons, that means 95 burghers out of 100 agree/disagree, but in Bolictical parlance if only 30 odd bods bother & 28.5 agree/disagree, then obviously, that overrides the peasant majorities opinion of the 1.5 that didn't & the other 70 no shows ! Giving the stated 95%. :eek:

Seemples !

Margaret Pilkington 31-10-2012 14:29

Yes, the results are skewed by by those not counted....some of us no-shows, actually showed and wrote something on our ballot paper........but that means we don't count...except, in real terms we do!

Guinness 31-10-2012 20:39

See this is what I do not understand about British politics....a vote is passed in the house but is not BINDING on ministers!!!! :eek:

BBC News - EU budget vote: Rebel MPs defeat government over spending cut call

Unless I'm way off base here, this is saying that a democratic vote in parliament is MEANINGLESS because the government can pretty much ignore it and go ahead with doing what it wants anyway.

If the way I'm reading this is true, just what is the freakin' point of spending an arm and a leg on free elections and 500+ MP's if we end up with a dictatorship?

Genuinely puzzled here :confused:

Mancie 31-10-2012 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guinness (Post 1025822)
See this is what I do not understand about British politics....a vote is passed in the house but is not BINDING on ministers!!!! :eek:

BBC News - EU budget vote: Rebel MPs defeat government over spending cut call

Unless I'm way off base here, this is saying that a democratic vote in parliament is MEANINGLESS because the government can pretty much ignore it and go ahead with doing what it wants anyway.

If the way I'm reading this is true, just what is the freakin' point of spending an arm and a leg on free elections and 500+ MP's if we end up with a dictatorship?

Genuinely puzzled here :confused:

It's all above board..have people forgot that one of the first acts the con-dems forced through Parliment was that any binding vote was changed from 51% to 55%..the Tories also made it almost impossible to throw them out within five years by pushing through the same percentage of vote for Parliment voting on no confidence.. it used to be 51% of a vote in the house.. they made it 55%.. so much for democracy

kestrelx 31-10-2012 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 1025834)
It's all above board..have people forgot that one of the first acts the con-dems forced through Parliment was that any binding vote was changed from 51% to 55%..the Tories also made it almost impossible to throw them out within five years by pushing through the same percentage of vote for Parliment voting on no confidence.. it used to be 51% of a vote in the house.. they made it 55%.. so much for democracy

That's similar to what Hitler did when he got in power, except more extreme. :rolleyes:

Mancie 31-10-2012 23:10

Tell you what all this talk about leaving the EU makes me laugh.. all of a sudden the Tory farmers are kakin themselves.. most of thier income comes from benifits from the EU..ain't seen the counryside alliance or farmers organising blockades these days..:D

Mancie 31-10-2012 23:59

I tell you another thing that turns the gut..the Lib-Dems voted en mass for Cameron and the Tories yet again.. Nick Glegg and his sheep are in so deep the poo is up to thier necks.. they will take the toll.

Margaret Pilkington 01-11-2012 06:56

Mancie, I do not recall you being so vociferous about new Labour policies...in any past thread. In your eyes they did no wrong.
Any opportunities to kick the tories for whatever reason...real or perceived.

They( the politicians) are all cut from the same bit of cloth......on the bias too.
None of 'em can lie straight in bed.

While David Cameron may choose to ignore the message from the 50 dissenters, I think that, to do so would be dangerous to his leadership...and I would guess he wants to hold onto that.

Guinness 01-11-2012 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 1025834)

What is more worrying is that this is a prime example of a total loss of sovereignty, it shows our Parliament to be powerless because Cameron can still go to Brussels and agree an increase in funds for the EU despite a majority vote against by MP's.

In a few days many kids will be chucking an effigy on a bonfire, we should actually be building statues to Guy Fawkes all over the country, he was way ahead of his time with his thinking :D

MargaretR 01-11-2012 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guinness (Post 1025868)
he was way ahead of his time with his thinking :D

That puzzles me. I believe that his motive was to murder James I because, as a catholic, he wanted to murder a protestant monarch, and replace him with a catholic one.

Although I agree with the abolition of monarchy, that wasn't his intention, and that isn't the topic of this thread.

Guinness 01-11-2012 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1025874)
That puzzles me. I believe that his motive was to murder James I because, as a catholic, he wanted to murder a protestant monarch, and replace him with a catholic one.

Although I agree with the abolition of monarchy, that wasn't his intention, and that isn't the topic of this thread.

All I can say is you're easily puzzled, if you can't see that I was referring to him attempting to blow up parliament....which considering the pointless vote on the EU yesterday is very much 'on' thread.

MargaretR 01-11-2012 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guinness (Post 1025875)
All I can say is you're easily puzzled, if you can't see that I was referring to him attempting to blow up parliament....which considering the pointless vote on the EU yesterday is very much 'on' thread.

His motive doesn't match - so can't be considered 'ahead of his time'.

DaveinGermany 01-11-2012 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1025876)
His motive doesn't match - so can't be considered 'ahead of his time'.

Motive wasn't the point being made, it's the intent that was being highlighted, the blowing up of Parliament that was my understanding of the comment made by Guinness. :)

cashman 01-11-2012 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1025880)
Motive wasn't the point being made, it's the intent that was being highlighted, the blowing up of Parliament that was my understanding of the comment made by Guinness. :)

Thats the way i took it.;)By the way, very interesting how this new poll also demonstrates this 95% P.M.S.L.

Neil 01-11-2012 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1025214)
Disgraceful, dedication to the job long gone out the window.:(

Is it dedication gone out the window?

As that doctors shift finished was another one not starting who could take over?

How long should a doctor work before being forced to leave so they don't become to tired to work?