Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Carnival - past its sell by date? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/carnival-past-its-sell-by-date-64390.html)

Guinness 15-06-2013 16:09

Carnival - past its sell by date?

Accrington Carnival 2013 - YouTube

I remember the days when there would be 20 or 30 brightly decorated wagons, pack after pack of cubs, brownies and guides, 2 or 3 JCB's for chucking your spare change into, followed by people picking up coins that had been missed. Displays by the army parachute (red devils?) team, fire engines, police dog displays, loads of stalls with games like hoopla and darts etc..etc..etc.

No doubt some very hard work has gone into this, but in the end it looked pretty pitiful. Is this something that should be consigned to history or am I remembering through rose tinted glasses and it was never very good?

Less 15-06-2013 16:26

You turned up, well done
I didn't bother but my granddaughter saw it, she thought it wonderful, but then, she's a child and a new experience should be that.
Times change though and who can afford to join in?
Don't know if you've noticed, we no longer have the industry, it was easier to get volunteers when we all worked together.
Now, nobody and no company can really afford such trivia.

davebtelford 15-06-2013 16:46

Re: Carnival - past its sell by date?

My Mum used to love the carnival (I was a in my cynical teens / 20s at the time!). If it's a good day out for the children it would be a shame to lose it.

Restless 15-06-2013 16:50

Less- You and Mick should've done a Accyweb Float :D

Less 15-06-2013 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1062919)
Less- You and Mick should've done a Accyweb Float :D

We did a virtual float, not our fault you missed it, wasn't Linux compatible.

lancsdave 15-06-2013 18:02

It is what you make it. In these days of austerity and the over indulgence of health & safety I thought todays was the best for a few years. Good turnout by people taking part and the public. Of course there's always room for improvement lets keep the spirit, something sadly lacking in Accrington for most days of the year.

cashman 15-06-2013 18:08

We went enjoyed seeing the kids enjoy, no it aint like it used to be, but then neither is local industry, who used to put on all the floats, In my view it should not be consigned to history, if kids love it, thats good enough fer me.

accyman 15-06-2013 18:15

sadly because of health and safety which is all europes doing things like police dog displays are probbably no longer allowed incase a dog farts in someones direction

schools used to help out on the railway lines in wales but because some of teh towns are a certain height above sea level there has to be a mountain rescue team on standby at all times while children worked although right along side them people were living normal lives and shopping just as we would in our town without a mountain rescue team.Europe says it must be so snd now children cant work on work exerience on the mini railway lines which rely heavily on voulenteers and such to survive

anyway back to the carnival with all these health and safety regulations which are over the top usually and buisnesses driven out by a council that wont play fair it dosnt leave much to make a go with

i know a few people who went to the actual event and teh kids seemed happy enough

just be thankfull there wasnt a float full of smackheads and needles

Margaret Pilkington 15-06-2013 18:36

People of today have nothing to judge the Carnival by...so of course they will be thrilled by it...especially the children.
It is only us B.O.B's who remember the days of old, when all the local businesses and factories vied with each other to have the very best float, who are disappointed...and I don't think it is aimed at us.
Well done to those who made the effort to take part, and at least the weather wasn't too unkind for the event.

Guinness 15-06-2013 23:34

Not doubting the work that's gone into it, like I said in my OP, and fair play to the lions/round table or whoever it was that organised it all.

But still, it was rag tag...gone are the marching cubs in uniform led by Akela, gone are the floats with wagons covered in cardboard flowers, gone are the formations and structure, there just didn't seem to me to be the joy, celebration and sense of a fun day like I remembered.

Ok the under 8's may have enjoyed it, probably with the same gusto as receiving the news that they were having a KFC or a Big Mac for tea.

Ok we don't have the industry to provide the volunteers, wagons and funding, but isn't that the reason why it should be confined to room 101?

It was good while it lasted, but, it should be consigned to the same history as the Dairies Dance, the free Blackpool Mecca bus and Watneys Party Sevens

shillelagh 16-06-2013 00:52

so its ok for you to have memories ... but not for the kids who took part yesterday ....

keith higson 16-06-2013 01:07

The Carnival may not have been as good as in past years but at least they had a go, good on them.

ossy kid 16-06-2013 04:19

You're right of course, they aren't the same but don,t blame the economy, it doesn't cost anything to volunteer. It's a matter of people not being willing to donate their time, to get involved, organize. WE all have other priorities, pity.

cashman 16-06-2013 06:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1062984)
You're right of course, they aren't the same but don,t blame the economy, it doesn't cost anything to volunteer. It's a matter of people not being willing to donate their time, to get involved, organize. WE all have other priorities, pity.

Think yer well wrong there, no volunteers cost nowt, but "Wagons" @ Firms that own them were do they appear from? A magic hat.:rolleyes:

jaysay 16-06-2013 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1062937)
sadly because of health and safety which is all europes doing things like police dog displays are probbably no longer allowed incase a dog farts in someones direction

schools used to help out on the railway lines in wales but because some of teh towns are a certain height above sea level there has to be a mountain rescue team on standby at all times while children worked although right along side them people were living normal lives and shopping just as we would in our town without a mountain rescue team.Europe says it must be so snd now children cant work on work exerience on the mini railway lines which rely heavily on voulenteers and such to survive

anyway back to the carnival with all these health and safety regulations which are over the top usually and buisnesses driven out by a council that wont play fair it dosnt leave much to make a go with

i know a few people who went to the actual event and teh kids seemed happy enough

just be thankfull there wasnt a float full of smackheads and needles

You mean Maundy didn't enter a float this year:rolleyes: