Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Barnes's store (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/barness-store-65312.html)

Lampman 17-11-2013 09:17

Barnes's store

I read with interest in the 'Observer that the former Barnes's Furniture store on Church Street/Canon Street Accrington is to become an Estate Agents, Café and Bathroom Showroom.
Indeed having spoken to the occupant of the adjoining house I feel that the Bathroom part of the project is well underway. He reports that his house wall is saturated and full of mould due to the former store's dilapidated condition.
He has asked both the HBC and builders to rectify this but up to now he has running water of the unwelcome kind.
As I said in previous post the site should have been flattened after the two fires.
Why should this neighbour have to see his house ruined due to a lack of urgency by the developers?
Perhaps the 'Observer could investigate?

BOB 02-02-2015 13:01

Re: Barnes's store

Its back up for sale 25k Former cinema valued at £700,000 set to go on sale - for just £25k... (From Lancashire Telegraph)

BOB 02-02-2015 13:11

Its up for auction on the 25 th feb they just put a new roof they been working on it for the last 3 years Lot 170 - Pugh - Property Vendors and Auctioneers

Accyexplorer 02-02-2015 13:56

1 Attachment(s)
From the roof of St James church I could clearly see the 'state' of the roof at the old Barnes building ( a sight for sore eyes).

Attachment 46857

Your friend would probably have to prove that either the building was left in a state that it shouldn't of been left in resulting in damage to his property or that after the problem arised there was neglect (failure to act) on their behalf through not getting 'urgent' repairs done which caused damage that repairs would of prevented.

I hope your friend get the damage sorted asap.

DtheP47 02-02-2015 18:38

I think the fact that there's an old culvert underneath the site makes any would be property developer cautious even at £25K

Accyexplorer 02-02-2015 19:43

Unless HBC/owner have been negligent it will be difficult for your friend to claim for any damages (assuming that's the road he'll eventually be going down).

Say the fires were nobody's fault (just a guess).... by that I mean there's nothing anyone (except the upstart that started the fires,if it was arson) could of done to prevent it happening.your friend may have to claim using his own insurers (assuming he's insured).
It may seem unfair to be out of pocket because of something that's beyond your control but if he was to claim using 'his' insurance company there is a good chance there will be a 'excess' ie he would have to pay the first £xxx towards the repair costs.

If the fire service issued you with a report saying it was,for example, a electrical fault that caused the fires negligence may still be a issue, but it would be very difficult to prove (legally) without clear evidence pointing to this. (The fire service report alone may be enough I wouldn't know).

There is another way your friend could try and recoup any losses he may encounter and that's through the small claims court......

...good luck and keep us updated if possible :)

DtheP47 02-02-2015 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1131990)
Unless HBC/owner have been negligent it will be difficult for your friend to claim for any damages (assuming that's the road he'll eventually be going down).

...good luck and keep us updated if possible :)

Eh? You are offering advice to somebody who posted in November 2013 and ask to be updated?

Accyexplorer 02-02-2015 23:17

:hehetable looks that way, I will get the hang of this foruming malarkey :o

DtheP47 03-02-2015 03:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1132044)
:hehetable looks that way, I will get the hang of this foruming malarkey :o

Don't feel bad sunshine. I can see why you would want to identify with the vacant lot that is Barnes's :)

Accyexplorer 03-02-2015 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1132048)
Don't feel bad sunshine. I can see why you would want to identify with the vacant lot that is Barnes's :)

I guess we can't have a complete theory on humour without experiencing how it fails :rolleyes: