Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Nelson Mandela (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/nelson-mandela-65398.html)

Jim Procter 05-12-2013 21:47

Nelson Mandela

Now there was a leader, a real leader who was head and shoulders above our present crop of posturing nobody's.Rest in peace a noble man, who forgave in order to achieve his greatness.

Eric 05-12-2013 21:58

Re: Nelson Mandela

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Procter (Post 1086468)
Now there was a leader, a real leader who was head and shoulders above our present crop of posturing nobody's.Rest in peace a noble man, who forgave in order to achieve his greatness.

Damn right ... In terms of his nobility, his courage, his determiation, and his commitment to what is right, he was a force of light in a dark century ... a giant striding among pygmies.

Less 05-12-2013 22:00

Nelson Mandela

R.I.P. Nelson if anyone deserves that their future after death would be in some heavenly paradise I suspect it could be you .

DtheP47 05-12-2013 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1086472)
R.I.P. Nelson if anyone deserves that their future after death would be in some heavenly paradise I suspect it could be you .

Whoa there a minute Less.

Mandela was the head of MK the terrorist wing of the ANC and South African Communist Party. At his trial, he pleaded guilty to 156 acts of public violence, mobilising terrorist bombings, planting bombs in public places, including the Johannesburg railway station. Many innocent women and children, were killed by Nelson Mandela’s MK terrorists.

Sunflower49 06-12-2013 01:36

RIP Mr Mandela.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1086481)
Whoa there a minute Less.

Mandela was the head of MK the terrorist wing of the ANC and South African Communist Party. At his trial, he pleaded guilty to 156 acts of public violence, mobilising terrorist bombings, planting bombs in public places, including the Johannesburg railway station. Many innocent women and children, were killed by Nelson Mandela’s MK terrorists.

I knew somebody would point this out ;)

Neil 06-12-2013 07:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflower49 (Post 1086486)
I knew somebody would point this out ;)

It is valid point though.
Always was amazed they awarded a Nobel Prize to a terrorist leader.

cashman 06-12-2013 07:04

O.K. the guy did much good after, people seem to forget what came before. or ignore it.

Boeing Guy 06-12-2013 08:43

Fair point, but as they say one mans Terrorist is another's Freedom Fighter.

To be fair the the BBC, they did mention him taking up arms and embracing violence, only briefly.

All that said, if your race was being suppressed by a Minority state with extreme violence, would you not fight back?

MargaretR 06-12-2013 08:54

I agree - the pacifist's way worked for Ghandi, but some regimes (apartheid) only get the message when violence is returned.
From what I have read about Ghandi, he was no saint either ;) , but in a non violent way, of course.

cashman 06-12-2013 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boeing Guy (Post 1086499)
Fair point, but as they say one mans Terrorist is another's Freedom Fighter.

To be fair the the BBC, they did mention him taking up arms and embracing violence, only briefly.

All that said, if your race was being suppressed by a Minority state with extreme violence, would you not fight back?

By using that analogy, the IRA would also have been freedom fighters, Theres a big difference to me to fighting the system n those in power, to slaughtering the innocent.

Margaret Pilkington 06-12-2013 09:39

Every man has a past.....and there are many revered men who started out badly.
That he eventually made a difference in the world is what should be remembered and taken account of.
He paid for his transgressions. He learned to be a diplomat, a man who could bring change.
His life was anything but a cake walk.

Boeing Guy 06-12-2013 09:40

Could not agree more Cashy.

DtheP47 06-12-2013 10:46

I don’t really see this cheerful kindly old man who converted from a selfless humble freedom fighter that the current eulogies would have us swallow.
The cloud that they would have us believe he is sat on up there irrefutably smells of cordite and blood and he is now reunited up there with his other fellow "freedom fighters" Colonel Muammar Gaddafi of Libya and President Suharto of Indonesia to name but two.

Sunflower49 06-12-2013 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1086492)
It is valid point though.
Always was amazed they awarded a Nobel Prize to a terrorist leader.

No I totally agree- It doesn't override the good he did, but a lot of people seem a bit unrealistic where Mandela is concerned.

Margaret Pilkington 06-12-2013 11:25

It is not compulsory to believe everything that the media tell us.