Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   LSD? Could be good for you! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/lsd-could-be-good-for-you-65844.html)

kestrelx 08-03-2014 12:28

LSD? Could be good for you!

New research from Norway claims that LSD may be good for you?

'LSD could be good for you': Hallucinogens 'wrongly linked with mental health problems for years' study says | Mail Online

Hallucinogenic drugs may actually be good for you, a team of researchers has concluded.
Norwegian scientists have carried out extensive research on the effects of LSD - or trips - by studying drugs surveys from tens of thousands of Americans.

The findings are at odds with the long held belief that LSD and other 'mind-enhancing' drugs - such as mescaline and the drug psilocybin, found in magic mushrooms - result in flashbacks, paranoia and long term mental health problems.

Less 08-03-2014 14:54

LSD? Could be good for you!

Wow! I just hallucinated that Kx had started a thread that didn't involve drugs or his brother.
Of the two I'd rather have the drugs.

Margaret Pilkington 08-03-2014 15:08

Re: LSD? Could be good for you!

I am distrustful of articles that tell you what research suggests. I want to know WHO commissioned the research....WHY it was commissioned. WHO paid for it. And WHAT were the criteria used for including/excluding participants.
All these issues can skew the results. Frequently research proves what those who paid for and commissioned the research wanted it to prove.

Recently 'experts' who have been telling us for years that butter and eggs were bad for us now have changed their minds. Last week we were told that research shows that a high protein diet in our 40's is detrimental to health...salt is bad for us...sugar is bad for us.

Why don't the government just deliver a large bucket of gruel to each household and tell us to live off that.

Moderation is the key in most things....except LSD......unless it is being prescribed for a medical complaint.

DaveinGermany 08-03-2014 16:28

I thought this was something recent, it's from September 2013 & as you should know by now Kes, anything drug related is going to be viewed with a healthy dose of disagreement & scepticism! Why didn't you just tag it onto an already opened thread on the subject rather than starting something new?

Margaret Pilkington 08-03-2014 16:44

Oh, now Son....that is far too logical.

cashman 08-03-2014 16:46

Well it aint done you or your kid much good.:rolleyes:

DaveinGermany 08-03-2014 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1097067)
Oh, now Son....that is far too logical.

Aye, I suppose so Ma, sometimes I have these .... moments!:) As to LSD, the only LSD I see is Leftover Sunday Dinner, that's as long as the Hound wasn't in there first! :biggrin8:

walkinman221 08-03-2014 17:29

All you need to do to answer that question kestrelx is take a look in your nearest mirror;)

Eric 08-03-2014 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1097057)
I am distrustful of articles that tell you what research suggests. I want to know WHO commissioned the research....WHY it was commissioned. WHO paid for it. And WHAT were the criteria used for including/excluding participants.
All these issues can skew the results. Frequently research proves what those who paid for and commissioned the research wanted it to prove.

It doesn't always happen this way. The controversy surrounding the Shafer Commission, otherwise known as "The National Commission on Marijuana and Drug Abuse", makes interesting reading for those who are stoned, or who have time to waste:D. The Commission didn't come up with the findings the Nixon administration wanted. But now, it seems as if the U.S., at the State level, is moving in the direction that Shafer advocated over 40 yrs. ago.

Margaret Pilkington 08-03-2014 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1097089)
It doesn't always happen this way.

Eric...I did say 'frequently'. My cynicism stems from research in the medical/nursing field. I was enlightened by a research scientist who was particularly disenchanted with his work.
I am also very wary of those who deem themselves to be experts. What is an expert. I know that a spurt is a drip under pressure...and X marks the spot. It really sums up what an expert is.

To my mind it seems that it is too much trouble to catch those who use and misuse drugs. So if drug use is decriminalised then the authorities do not need to spend time looking for those who flout the law.
This is a bit like being a really bad shot.....and calling whatever you hit 'the target'.
Catching drug users is like shovelling fleas across a barnyard.

For myself, I am not in favour of drugs. I do not need them to get high...or to blur the edges of my life.

accyman 09-03-2014 14:00

this article was also in a magazine that said herpees might be good for you

there was a que a mile long itching to get a copy

kestrelx 11-03-2014 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1097069)
Well it aint done you or your kid much good.:rolleyes:

My "kid" never touched the stuff! :eek:

kestrelx 11-03-2014 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1097089)
It doesn't always happen this way. The controversy surrounding the Shafer Commission, otherwise known as "The National Commission on Marijuana and Drug Abuse", makes interesting reading for those who are stoned, or who have time to waste:D. The Commission didn't come up with the findings the Nixon administration wanted. But now, it seems as if the U.S., at the State level, is moving in the direction that Shafer advocated over 40 yrs. ago.

You seem to be one who is more intelligent; amoungst some of the sheep grazing round about the Accrington hills. ;)

Margaret Pilkington 11-03-2014 17:15

Is that because he is of the same opinion as you?
You want to be intelligent by association?
As for sheep.....well, it takes one to know one.
It is so easy to follow the crowd into habits which can be harmful.....far harder to follow your own path....to make choices which are not in line with those of your peers.

kestrelx 11-03-2014 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1097493)
Is that because he is of the same opinion as you?
You want to be intelligent by association?
As for sheep.....well, it takes one to know one.
It is so easy to follow the crowd into habits which can be harmful.....far harder to follow your own path....to make choices which are not in line with those of your peers.

Jimi Hendrix was my sheep! :D But we are all sheep in our own way.

no; because at least Eric is prepared to discuss the evidence.