Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Bigoted or free speech (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/bigoted-or-free-speech-66111.html)

yerself 06-05-2014 15:48

Re: Bigoted or free speech

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 40212

Eric 06-05-2014 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1105328)
Does/should free speech include the freedom to promote hatred or "hate speech" as it's commonly referred to ?
Take this, for example, I got it posted to me this morning:

Attachment 40203

This looks like free speech to me. It appears as if the third example is similar to those criticisms aimed by some at welfare recipients ... even those incarcerated in HM prisons. In order for something to be considered a "hate crime", certain specific, well-defined criteria have to be met. I have no doubt that in the UK there are sections of the criminal code which deal with it. This is certainly the case over here:

What is a hate crime? - Canada - CBC News

For example, it is quite legal to be a holocaust denier ... even write books and pamphlets on the subject. But painting swastikas on Synagogues and promoting violence against Jews are crimes. Free speech is important, but it often deals with controversial topics, and we should not be surprised if some of it offends us.

Accyexplorer 06-05-2014 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1105350)
This looks like free speech to me. It appears as if the third example is similar to those criticisms aimed by some at welfare recipients ... even those incarcerated in HM prisons. In order for something to be considered a "hate crime", certain specific, well-defined criteria have to be met. I have no doubt that in the UK there are sections of the criminal code which deal with it. This is certainly the case over here:

What is a hate crime? - Canada - CBC News

For example, it is quite legal to be a holocaust denier ... even write books and pamphlets on the subject. But painting swastikas on Synagogues and promoting violence against Jews are crimes. Free speech is important, but it often deals with controversial topics, and we should not be surprised if some of it offends us.

Yes, we (the uk) have a similar criteria that must be met when dealing with "hate speech".
"Expressions of hatred toward someone on account of that person's colour, race, nationality (including citizenship), ethnic or national origin, religion, or sexual orientation is forbidden.[1][2][3] Any communication which is threatening, abusive or insulting, and is intended to harass, alarm, or distress someone is forbidden.[4] The penalties for hate speech include fines, imprisonment, or both."

Hate speech laws in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are either of these "hate speech"?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=det7TUsLy8U

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F3TJXonAK90

"Hate speech" seems to be like the good old green medicine, it's illegal but....

DaveinGermany 06-05-2014 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1105303)
when a person says ‘I’m not racist, but….….’ and then proceeds to be just that.

To my mind, no matter how much we may deny it to ourselves or those around us, each & everyone of us does have the propensity to be racist to a greater or lesser degree under any given circumstances.

The level however I'd say is dependent on our personal ethics & attitudes, our life experiences, the people we've met & interacted with will also have a bearing on the intensity of that racism.

It's difficult to quantify, there is no black or white but a whole pallet of greys as far as I can see.

accyman 07-05-2014 06:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 1105346)

any news on blackpool zoo's policey on lions ?

not only may they offend a christian but they may well eat one

Eric 07-05-2014 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1105357)

"Hate speech" seems to be like the good old green medicine, it's illegal but....

I'm no lawyer ... I leave that to my daughter ... but I believe that some sort of action has to be involved, or incitement to action. Words themselves are not enough. One can freely express a "Pro Life" belief, picket, carry placards, hand out "informative" literature ... all kinds of stuff like that. But to incite, conspire, or commit violent acts on abortion clinics and staff are crimes. So I do believe that inciting others to commit illegal acts against, say, visible minorities, is hate speech. Using derogatory terms to describe such minorities is no crime.

DAV007 08-05-2014 07:20

A lot of the legislation for this rubbish came about under Labour's time in office, when political correctness blossomed and was celebrated.
Another good reason to never vote Labour.

Less 08-05-2014 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAV007 (Post 1105470)
A lot of the legislation for this rubbish came about under Labour's time in office, when political correctness blossomed and was celebrated.

How true, but it doesn't exactly make the Tories, Liberals, BNP or many, many other breeds of pig fitter to rule the trough.

Lucysgirl 08-05-2014 12:51

Whilst on holiday I've usually visited a local museum and that was the case back in the early 1970s when I took the youngsters to see the army museum in north Wales.

I've just surfed to see if the Welch Fusilliers museum at Carnarfon Castle is still quoting the ancient battles they had with one of their adversaries; the "Fuzzy Wuzzies"..... excepting for "Boxer War" the other campaigns only mention place names.

accyman 08-05-2014 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAV007 (Post 1105470)

i seriously cant remember but who was in charge when they decided to finish building that sweage pipe connecting us to europe..

some folk call it channel tunnel or somat i call it what it is

yerself 11-05-2014 09:34

Another one bites the dust. The BBC have sacked a DJ for playing a song originally penned in 1932.

BBC News - BBC Radio Devon DJ David Lowe loses job over racist word

A veteran BBC local radio DJ has lost his job after playing a song on his golden oldies show containing a racist word.

BBC Radio Devon DJ David Lowe, 68, said he was unaware that a 1932 version of The Sun Has Got His Hat On included the n-word.

Accyexplorer 11-05-2014 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 1105827)
Another one bites the dust. The BBC have sacked a DJ for playing a song originally penned in 1932.

A veteran BBC local radio DJ has lost his job after playing a song on his golden oldies show containing a racist word.

BBC Radio Devon DJ David Lowe, 68, said he was unaware that a 1932 version of The Sun Has Got His Hat On included the n-word.

A little over the top if you ask me, I didn't even know that song had "the N word" in it.
I wonder how many DJ's have been sacked for playing 50cent or other rap songs that contain "the N word" :rolleyes:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GDIpkz6DOi8

accyman 11-05-2014 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 1105827)

yet they never suspended or sacked their employees when accusations of kiddy feeling were going on until they absolutely had to because jimmy savilles death exposed a lot of people and coverups.

seems to me the BBC will go to any lenghths to cover up and allow child molestation to continue but over react to a word in a song that is on their own playlist.The BBC stored this song on their playlist it wouldnt have been there if the BBC didnt keep it in their playlist so the BBC are at fault for not checking through tehir play lists not the DJ

i hope he fights it..

they still play olivers army though and look....

Quote:

There was a checkpoint charlie
He didn't crack a smile
But it's no laughing party
When you've been on the murder mile
Only takes one itchy trigger
One more widow, one less white nigger

Michael1954 11-05-2014 18:34

Read the BBC link in full and you will see the BBC accepted they didn't treat him right and offered him his job back.

Margaret Pilkington 11-05-2014 18:53

That isn't good enough though is it?
The man has had to go through a period of time when he was put through the mill by the BBC. I would be taking legal advice in respect of the dismissal.
This poor chap feels that he cannot return to his job because this incident has aggravated a pre existing condition.