Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Morrisons (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/morrisons-66951.html)

lindsay ormerod 15-01-2015 17:47

Morrisons

Another going. The Eastgate store staff have apparently been given 12 weeks notice. Apparently the store is not viable and they can't find any other alternatives. Seems ridiculous to me when they must still be paying off the refit costs. :(
I for one will miss it, use it regularly on my way home.

Restless 15-01-2015 17:58

Re: Morrisons

Sad will miss my bargain hunt on sundays :)

Accyexplorer 15-01-2015 18:10

Another one bites the dust :(

BREAKING: Accrington dealt another blow as Morrisons set to close - Accrington Observer

cashman 15-01-2015 18:14

I dont buy the story Morrisons cant find a viable alternative? What wrong wi trying to get the M@S space at a knock down rate? i'm near certain the Arndale owners would consider it, Plus a few years back Morrisons said they want bigger premises, town centre and the car park yon would be ideal imho.

duggie 15-01-2015 19:28

Thats m&s, homebase, morrisons, not much left, and still our idiotic councilors spend our hard earned dollar on a new bus station so we can visit the bookmakers, knock down the centre of town and build a park

accyman 15-01-2015 21:12

at this rate maundy grange will be the big name retailer in accy

Neil 15-01-2015 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by duggie (Post 1129696)
Thats m&s, homebase, morrisons, not much left, and still our idiotic councilors spend our hard earned dollar on a new bus station so we can visit the bookmakers, knock down the centre of town and build a park

That's ours idiotic Lancashire County Council Councillors not our idiotic Hyndburn Councillors in case you were wondering.

The bus station is a LCC plan although if I remember correctly several HBC councillors and our MP agreed we needed a new bus station but not all of them agreed it should be going where it is

Restless 16-01-2015 14:09

Rumours have it that b+m is going where homebase is

DtheP47 16-01-2015 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1129737)
That's ours idiotic Lancashire County Council Councillors not our idiotic Hyndburn Councillors in case you were wondering.

No point beating up either HBC or LCC about Morrisons, all financial anylists have them as the worst performing major supermarket over the Christmas period. Badly run with changes being made at the top.

They are closing 20 loss making stores.

The 2008/2009 recession forced people into Aldi and Lidl and, once there, shoppers realised that the food is actually quite good (well, when tallied up against the big 4), and that you can get a lot more for your money.

Margaret Pilkington 16-01-2015 14:38

That is the economic reality biting.
If there is somewhere selling stuff cheaply, then people will buy there......and once a shopper is won, mainly price will dictate that they stay until there is somewhere cheaper.

Neil 16-01-2015 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1129779)
No point beating up either HBC or LCC about Morrisons, all financial anylists have them as the worst performing major supermarket over the Christmas period. Badly run with changes being made at the top.

They are closing 20 loss making stores.

The 2008/2009 recession forced people into Aldi and Lidl and, once there, shoppers realised that the food is actually quite good (well, when tallied up against the big 4), and that you can get a lot more for your money.

I was talking about the bus station sorry for the confusion

Gordon Booth 16-01-2015 15:07

I remember going to look in Aldi when they first opened- 1990? You did feel like you were roughing it a bit.
Not any more! The quality is good and the prices astonishing and the stores have improved.
Makes you wonder why if the big four charge as they do they aren't making an enormous profit. Enough to keep less profitable stores open.
Incidentally one of the brothers who started Aldi became the richest man on Germany- and that's rich.

lindsay ormerod 17-01-2015 16:20

Re the idea of them moving to M&S I don't think there is much difference in the size of the stores, and the trail to the car-park in the Arndale ( which is bizarrely still busy) might have put Morrisons off. That and the stupidly high rent they were no doubt quoted....

cashman 18-01-2015 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod (Post 1129972)
Re the idea of them moving to M&S I don't think there is much difference in the size of the stores, and the trail to the car-park in the Arndale ( which is bizarrely still busy) might have put Morrisons off. That and the stupidly high rent they were no doubt quoted....

You know they asked Linds?:confused:

lindsay ormerod 19-01-2015 11:28

No, don't know if they asked about the unit but can guarantee that if they did they wouldn't get the preferential rates that M&S have enjoyed for years!