Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   The richest 1%-- (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/the-richest-1-a-66972.html)

Gordon Booth 19-01-2015 16:40

The richest 1%--

own almost half the worlds wealth. That's the latest figure.

I was getting ready to call for Revolution when I read a bit more about how the figures are calculated.

If you live in a refuge camp in Lebanon and have nothing you're not among the poorest in the world.

If you're a UK graduate, living in mummy's big house which you're going to inherit but with £27,000 plus owing in fees you are among the poorest in the world.
If you live in a £600,000 house in London with a massive mortgage, a few maxed out credit cards and a Porsche on HP you are among the poorest in the world.

Why? The refuge owes nothing, the other two owe more than they own.
So the figures are gobbldegook, can't get any sense from them.

Except- I still wish I was one of that top 1%!

yerself 19-01-2015 20:25

Re: The richest 1%--

Is this better for you?

The combined wealth of the world’s richest 1 per cent will overtake that of the remaining 99 per cent by 2016 unless action is taken to curb “shocking extremes” of inequality, a new report warns.

Wealthiest 1% set to be richer than other 99% combined - World Politics - World - The Independent

As Mark Twain would say, "There are lies,damned lies and statistics."

Less 19-01-2015 20:30

Obviously I don't own 1% of the worlds wealth, if I did I would employ several thousand to reply to your post.
Consider this, owning wealth is of no use to anyone, using wealth for yourself or other's could be useful.
What exactly is wealth?
It isn't the joy given freely from the companionship of a loved one, it is only money or its equivalent.
Please may I have one happy day for every day the wealthiest person makes a profit?

Margaret Pilkington 19-01-2015 20:46

Wealth is nothing if you are not well.
And Less is right about happiness. It cannot be bought, it cannot be stolen.....and I don't want to be in that 1%.

Eric 20-01-2015 00:09

If the rich have all that brass, they must have a lot of muck.:D

Accyexplorer 20-01-2015 00:18

I wonder how many of that 1% have done a 'honest' days graft?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q3CLc0IGstk

I too think, wealth is health.

accyman 20-01-2015 02:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1130284)
Wealth is nothing if you are not well.

i dunno about that BUPA aint cheap :D

Margaret Pilkington 20-01-2015 08:22

If you are healthy then you don't need BUPA.......and if you are rich, even though you can afford BUPA......you would(if you have sense) would prefer not to need it.
So your health is the valuable asset, family, friends and being loved and valued come a pretty close second.

Neil 20-01-2015 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1130316)
If you are healthy then you don't need BUPA.......and if you are rich, even though you can afford BUPA......you would(if you have sense) would prefer not to need it.
So your health is the valuable asset, family, friends and being loved and valued come a pretty close second.

Might not need BUPA at the moment but with the state of the NHS at the moment it's nice to have that extra security.
Saying that I keep saying I'm going to use it for once and get my back looked at

Mog 20-01-2015 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1130309)
I wonder how many of that 1% have done a 'honest' days graft?

I also wonder about the people who say, (I wonder if they have ever done a honest days graft.) I wonder if these people know what honest graft is nowadays anyway.

Margaret Pilkington 20-01-2015 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1130323)
Might not need BUPA at the moment but with the state of the NHS at the moment it's nice to have that extra security.
Saying that I keep saying I'm going to use it for once and get my back looked at

Neil...stop the talk and get with the action!
Your back is important...get it sorted.

Neil 20-01-2015 10:28

Yes mother :P

It's OK ish most of the time, I just don't like being prodded and poked by quacks

cashman 20-01-2015 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1130340)

It's OK ish most of the time, I just don't like being prodded and poked by quacks

Stop being a tart, no-one likes the quacks, but yer back does need looking at.

Accyexplorer 20-01-2015 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mog (Post 1130327)
I also wonder about the people who say, (I wonder if they have ever done a honest days graft.) I wonder if these people know what honest graft is nowadays anyway.

I sincerely hope that one isn't suggesting that I may not of done a honest days graft in my lifetime :D

Joking aside,most folk nowadays are scared to death of being honest because they know all to well about the consequences of being honest.
It's very likely that in their past experiences honesty has only brought them grief.

Example:-
The Mrs: "does my bum look big in this dress?"
You: "Yes,a little"
The Mrs: " You could of lied" (stress,sulk,bang,crash,slam.)

An "honest day's graft" in my opinion is a phrase used to imply that you worked for your living instead of using deception. "Honest days graft" meaning to work with sincerity in order to make your wage. Insinuating those at the top (the "1%") don't do their jobs with integrity they do their jobs using dishonesty.

To summarise,honest folk finish last in this made up civilisation of ours.

Well that's my cheery thought out of the way for today :D

Margaret Pilkington 20-01-2015 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1130340)

I can identify that bit about being poked and prodded by Quacks.
It is a rule that I live by...stay away from medics for as long as you can.