Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Nuisance Phone Calls (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/nuisance-phone-calls-66993.html)

maxthecollie 25-01-2015 14:34

Nuisance Phone Calls

How do you deal with nuisance phone calls? The other day I got 3 calls on my mobile blocker from the same company. I decide to get revenge .As it was a uk phone number with a uk code I rang them back 3 times each time putting 141 in my phone before I called so as to withold my number. I got three different people every time and I did not answer. I could hear them keep saying hello before hanging up. I rang once more, let them answer and put my wife on. She spoke i a child's voice .The person at the other end said " Has anyone in your household been involved in an accident?" to which my wife replied in her child's voice " Yes I fell down at school and hurt my knee and teacher has put a plaster on." They soon hung up.

DtheP47 25-01-2015 16:27

Re: Nuisance Phone Calls

The bane of most people's lives Frank.
I got a Panasonic handset that allows you to block various callers before Christmas but still a few from "out of area" calls were getting through so I have put a CPR call blocker on the line too. Early days yet but only had one got through this week the CPR gizmo has a block now button that enters the call ID into its memory and they can't get through a second time. Early days as I say and only on my landline but much improved.

accyman 25-01-2015 18:47

bt should be blocking these numbers at source not leaving customrs to have to buy extra equiptment

there should be a system in place where you dial 234 or somethinig after a phonecall if you never want that number to contact you again.

companies have now found a way to make it look like they are calling from a local 01254 number which gets them around people who block unknown numbers etc

but BT make money from them infact BT most likely sell them your number even the ex directory ones so unless BT step in the problem will never be sorted

it is a form of harrassment especially when despite signing up to various lists saying you shouldnt get them still ecieve up to 10 calls a day as they arnt selling you something they are offering advice

MargaretR 25-01-2015 19:12

The call centre workers are accustomed to abuse and mentally 'switch off' when they hear it.

I have adopted a response they least expect.

I calmly discuss with them the effects of the work they are doing and whether they get any job satisfaction from doing it, and whether alternative work would be more satisfying.

By diverting attention to their personal welfare, I hope to appeal to their consciences.

A discontented worker will reduce their effort to a minimum and so make their employer less successful.

Margaret Pilkington 25-01-2015 20:40

Call centre workers have to achieve a minimum number of calls.....they are bound by a script and are not allowed to deviate from it.
If the caller engages them in any way then they usually have to end the call.
I am on TPS but still receive some cold calls.
Himself thinks that I deal with the caller rudely, but I am never discourteous, just very blunt and matter of fact.
I tell them that their call is illegal and thank them for giving me the name of their firm as it makes it easier to report it to the Information Commissioners Office.....and that they could be fined for breaking the law.
This usually terminates the call promptly.

Rowlf 25-01-2015 21:27

Good for you Margaret that is exactly what I say. It is annoying for able bodied folk but it is an absolute nightmare for the elderly who have difficulty getting out of their chair perhaps to answer the phone only to find it is not a call they would want. I think more should be done to stop the practice.

accyman 25-01-2015 23:58

when they ring saying its about an accident i was recently involved in i say yes im glad you rang but i was drunk and everyone is entitled to crap themselves at least once during adulthood

to be honest the novelty wears off fast and even taking the urine out of them dosnt make them less annoying

shillelagh 26-01-2015 00:10

when they ask me about an accident ive had in the last 3 years .. I say oh did I .. can I ask when it was and they say well someone in your house as had an accident in the last 3 years and I say tell me the date and time and where it was please ... normally they hang up .. if I answer and its one of them automated voice messages .. I just normally carry on with what I was doing and don't hang up ..

DtheP47 26-01-2015 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1130958)
bt should be blocking these numbers at source not leaving customrs to have to buy extra equiptment

it is a form of harrassment especially when despite signing up to various lists saying you shouldnt get them still ecieve up to 10 calls a day as they arnt selling you something they are offering advice

Couldn't agree more accyman, but having registered on the nuisance call database and all that malarkey calls were still getting through. I am on Virgin btw.
Reading everyones comments about abusing them back, these companies sell on your number as "live" and when you give them grief they just add you to the phonelist thus increasing the likelyhood of calls.
My methods albeit at a cost £ to me seems to be working. :D

jelly baby 26-01-2015 11:31

We get around 15-20 'withheld' and 'out of area' calls per day, starting around 8.00am. We don't answer them but they are driving us mad. Has anyone any idea how to stop them short of getting the phone disconnected. We use TPS and also pay for a screening service, which works really well, but obviously doesn't stop 'withhelds'.
JB x

jelly baby 26-01-2015 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1130935)
The bane of most people's lives Frank.
I got a Panasonic handset that allows you to block various callers before Christmas but still a few from "out of area" calls were getting through so I have put a CPR call blocker on the line too. Early days yet but only had one got through this week the CPR gizmo has a block now button that enters the call ID into its memory and they can't get through a second time. Early days as I say and only on my landline but much improved.

How do you get this blocker please? Does it work with any handset?

DtheP47 26-01-2015 11:40

Here you are jellyb

Yes they work will most landlines n handsets I think.

CPR Call Blocker | World #1 Call Blocker | Stop Unwanted Nuisance Calls at the Touch of a Button!

You can buy offa' Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CPR-Capacity...ll+blocker+cpr

Worth reading the Amazon reviews.

Accyexplorer 26-01-2015 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jelly baby (Post 1131034)
We get around 15-20 'withheld' and 'out of area' calls per day, starting around 8.00am. We don't answer them but they are driving us mad. Has anyone any idea how to stop them short of getting the phone disconnected. We use TPS and also pay for a screening service, which works really well, but obviously doesn't stop 'withhelds'.
JB x

"15-20 per day" :eek:

I heard TPS is a scam (funded by the telemarketing industry).Truecall seems to be effective, but is expensive.

"Under current rules, the ICO can take enforcement action only if calls cause “substantial damage or distress”. The government is considering how to make early intervention easier, and it is expected that in future the ICO will be able to intervene where calls cause “nuisance, annoyance, inconvenience or anxiety”.- http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...own-complaints

Margaret Pilkington 26-01-2015 11:56

Just a mention of ICO seems to be effective......they put the phone down pronto.

I get far fewer calls than I used to......the ones I do get seem to be from the Indian sub continent and the callers (heavily accented) are called Kevin, Bruce, Angela and Sheila.......other calls are either silent or automated.

accyman 26-01-2015 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1131014)
Couldn't agree more accyman, but having registered on the nuisance call database and all that malarkey calls were still getting through. I am on Virgin btw.
Reading everyones comments about abusing them back, these companies sell on your number as "live" and when you give them grief they just add you to the phonelist thus increasing the likelyhood of calls.
My methods albeit at a cost £ to me seems to be working. :D

your friends are the biggest culprits for passing you number to these telemarketers

everytime they install a free app or put facebook onto their phone they sell every number in their contact list when they click i agree

nothing is free