Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   New Police Station (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/new-police-station-67134.html)

AccyJay 10-03-2015 13:05

New Police Station

I just saw this on Twitter.

Plans are in place to open a new police station on Broadway. The police station is due to move to a new £500,000 premises in the heart of the town.

Two former retail units on Broadway will be converted to accommodate the Neighbourhood Policing Team, with the station due to move from Spring Gardens later this year.

It is hoped the move will save £51,000 a year in running costs, provide a more visible police presence and help to revive the town centre.

More info here.......

cashman 10-03-2015 13:16

Re: New Police Station

Its a good move certainly, But will only be really effective if they actually PUT police on the town centre beat.;)

AccyJay 10-03-2015 13:31

I'm more concerned about where the extra half a million pounds is coming from. Surely that money would be better spent on employing extra police instead.

Another election gimmick?

maxthecollie 10-03-2015 13:41

Aren't the Neighbourhood Policing Team all Plastic bobbies who cannot book or arrest anyone and have no authority to issue parking tickets?

lancsdave 10-03-2015 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyJay (Post 1135704)
I'm more concerned about where the extra half a million pounds is coming from. Surely that money would be better spent on employing extra police instead.

Another election gimmick?

It is clever political manouvering. They know there are 2 main complaints about the town centre, the policing of it and the lack of shops. If you fill it with a cop shop you kill 2 birds with one stone. Will be handy if you want to buy some 5 star accomodation though at her majesty's pleasure, they will have a shop for it :)

I'm not convinced removing retail units from the main shopping area of a town centre is a good idea. It sends a clear message that any thoughts of revitalising the town centre are long gone and it will be occupied by other means. Having said all that I know nothing about business compared to councillors so no doubt they have got it right ;)

accyman 10-03-2015 14:25

i dont know what the plans are for the old fire station but moving the cop shop from next door to it will make getting shut of the two buildings easier or whatever they plan to do with them

time will tell if the police station been in town will alter anything and i really do hope that dealing with the scum in accy isnt just having a chat with them and actually arresting or moving them away

i guess teh real indication that it is working out will be when benches start appearing :D

Retlaw 10-03-2015 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1135709)
i dont know what the plans are for the old fire station but moving the cop shop from next door to it will make getting shut of the two buildings easier or whatever they plan to do with them

time will tell if the police station been in town will alter anything and i really do hope that dealing with the scum in accy isnt just having a chat with them and actually arresting or moving them away

i guess teh real indication that it is working out will be when benches start appearing :D

They will still have a job on getting rid of the cop shop and fire station, the courts are still there. If they move to Broadway where are they going to park their cars and paddy wagons ?.

accyman 10-03-2015 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1135711)
They will still have a job on getting rid of the cop shop and fire station, the courts are still there. If they move to Broadway where are they going to park their cars and paddy wagons ?.

on the zigzags , roundabouts and double yellow lines like everyone else

maxthecollie 10-03-2015 14:57

The court is only open on thursdays now and mainly for unpaid fines. A lot is done in other courts with video links

AccyJay 10-03-2015 20:04

The article states that the new police station will be rented from HBC.

Also, who owns the current police station building?

accyman 10-03-2015 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1135716)
The court is only open on thursdays now and mainly for unpaid fines. A lot is done in other courts with video links

i may be a tiny bit wrong here but child access/family court , criminal proceedings , etc mostly go to blackburn magistrates if not all and accy also relies on blackburn police as well at greenbank

some times it seems as though blackburn is trying to swallow us up and add us to their collection as they did darwen

still not got their city status though lol

will we have real coppers at the new station or just plastic coppers because the last time i was at accy police spring gardens there was real coppers about but that was a few years ago ?

maxthecollie 11-03-2015 08:58

As far as I'm aware you are correct. When my wife retired from working at Accy courts last year they wer only going to open one day a week and most things were going to Readley or Blackburn

Gremlin 11-03-2015 12:28

Does anybody (on this forum) know which shops will be converted to the police station?

gpick24 11-03-2015 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1135781)
Does anybody (on this forum) know which shops will be converted to the police station?

From this thread - http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...t-67106-2.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod (Post 1135734)
Think the 2 buildings earmarked for the cop shop are that defunct coffee place and the old Jack Fulton premises.

Gremlin 11-03-2015 13:14

Thank you.