Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Electric Car Charger (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/electric-car-charger-67262.html)

Barrie Yates 13-04-2015 15:49

Electric Car Charger

I thought Dr Who was visiting town when I saw this new style Tardis on the corner by the Town Hall.
Is this really a necessity, or is there a Council Member with a new car?
Why has it been provided, losing 2 invalid parking spaces, what has it cost and who has paid for it?
If it is the Council then it strikes me that there are more important matters that would benefit from our money being spent on them.

Gremlin 13-04-2015 17:11

Re: Electric Car Charger

Today I passed by and the car parked on the bay for electric cars was certainly not electric.
I'm not sure but I think the government give part of our taxes towards such chargers.
A friend with two or three electric limos told me he gets a subsidy for running them.

Barrie Yates 13-04-2015 17:32

I haven't seen any publicity about it and so a number of points spring to mind. Are only cars being re-charged allowed in the bays. What action can be taken against someone who legitimately parks in the bays - Blue Badge holders. Who is responsible for it. Who finances it, including the maintenance and repair costs. What benefit is there for the general public.
Perhaps someone in the know will let us know.

Less 13-04-2015 17:46

You have no chance of anyone in the know coming on here, unless it's to criticise the members.
Our M.P. gave up the battle when he found 95% of his electorate know more about the EU than he does and his dismal side show bob only turns up to tell us how unpopular the site is, NEVER to actually inform us of anything worthwhile.
Go on one of you two prove me wrong, come on site and give us a real reason why we should vote labour.
(By the way is there any other party brave enough to face AccyWeb? ).

Gordon Booth 13-04-2015 18:37

The Government funds 75% of the cost.
Struggled to find the actual cost, best I found was Dorset was installing 15 last year.
Total cost £964,000! Unbelievable!
Dorset got a grant of £723,000.

So yours is only costing £64,000. Cost to Hyndburn- a miserly £16,000.

Now all you need to do is buy an electric car!

Less 13-04-2015 18:40

I got an electric car for Christmas in the 60's it was a skaletrix.

Gordon Booth 13-04-2015 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1138720)
I got an electric car for Christmas in the 60's it was a skaletrix.

Your folks must have had money! If a charger is £64,000 what did they pay for the car?

gpick24 13-04-2015 18:48

I've seen quite a few hybrid taxis just recently, and the charging point is just around the corner from several taxi places, what a co-incidence.

Less 13-04-2015 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1138722)
Your folks must have had money! If a charger is £64,000 what did they pay for the car?

Hey, hang on, I bragged about getting the car, we could never afford to run it. [emoji30]

Neil 14-04-2015 00:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1138723)
I've seen quite a few hybrid taxis just recently, and the charging point is just around the corner from several taxi places, what a co-incidence.

I don't think you charge hybrids

Neil 14-04-2015 00:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1138706)
I haven't seen any publicity about it and so a number of points spring to mind. Are only cars being re-charged allowed in the bays. What action can be taken against someone who legitimately parks in the bays - Blue Badge holders. Who is responsible for it. Who finances it, including the maintenance and repair costs. What benefit is there for the general public.
Perhaps someone in the know will let us know.

Does anyone really care?
They haven't finished the install yet. I'd expect the road signage to be changed and anything not being charge will hopefully be towed away but I won't hold my breath as most offences by cars appear to be ignored in Hyndburn

accyman 14-04-2015 01:46

about 2 people said they will use it on hyndburn chat but why anyone would leave home without making sure their car had enough power i dont know..

yes i do actually know it will be free electricity for them despite that electricity been made by burning fossil fuels or nuclear energy its somehow deemed green energy so we dont get free petrol and diesel because they are dirty fuels .Dont get me started on how the process of making and delivering parts from sources all over the world puts out a carbon footprint so huge the car will never justify its self.

if they want free electricity they should have fitted a huge winder handle so they could charge their cars up like you do them wind up torches and radios

not sure where the money comes from to pay for this free electricity handout but they could have at least fitted a few USB ports so folk could charge tehir phones

Margaret Pilkington 14-04-2015 06:13

I don't think it will be free to charge an electric vehicle.......I am sure ther was a card slot on the charger.....now whether you have to pay by credit card...or whether you can get a sort of 'top up' card I'm not sure...but I very much doubt that this facility will be free.

gpick24 14-04-2015 06:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1138748)
I don't think you charge hybrids

Some you do (plug in hybrids)
Electric car and hybrid car buying guide | Digital Trends

JCB 14-04-2015 06:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1138757)
I don't think it will be free to charge an electric vehicle.....

A few weeks ago I stood looking at it , wondering what on earth it was .

Two men , more knowledgeable than me about modern technology , came along and enlightened me .

One noted that on the screen at the front of the gadget there is some sort of facility for payment .