Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Local Election (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/local-election-67319.html)

Guinness 08-05-2015 21:15

Local Election

What is wrong with the Hyndburn electorate..

Every single seat up for grabs is gained by a mate/friend/relative of an already sitting encumbent..a couple of which don’t even reside in the area they purport to represent????

All of them are Labour??? The same Labour who screwed our market, our town centre, removed the benches, went down with a whimper about the bus station and the god awful roadworks on almost every entrance to the town (wouldn’t care if these roadworks made any difference but the ones already completed (e.g. clayton traffic lights) make things a damn sight worse approaching from Atham.

Drove into Accrington today from Blackburn and was glad I drive a 4x4 capable of offroad….poor ramps, raised ironworks etc.. at times I felt like I was green laning.

These are the guys who got into bed with Blackburn and Burnley to stop a Hyndburn market development at Whitebirk (whilst Blackburn and Burnley regenerated their own redevelopment whilst we stagnated), the guys who constantly lose investment in the town centre and have lost Marks and Spencers to Rawtenstall (of all places??)

These are the guys who attempt to make blanket decisions about our heritage and traditions despite only recently moving into the area (Huncoat Memorial)

Their response is our electorate has no money, we are poor…we have no money and it’s all the tories fault. But they can still make deliberations, statements and offer support in council meetings about matters on the other side of the continent that have zero relevance to the indigenous natives of Hyndburn but garner votes from the families of the illegal parkers on Blackburn Road..and all this is done AT OUR EXPENSE.

I’d love to hear a response from someone who voted for their LOCAL Hyndburn councillor as to why they voted for them based on LOCAL issues!

Go on...I DARE YOU!

Barrie Yates 08-05-2015 21:44

Re: Local Election

Happy to say I voted for UKIP in the local election - that was my protest vote.

Still wondering why the Council spent money on this click & collect idea for the market hall and the car charging unit on Broadway - are the councillors as free with their own money as they are with ours? I am sure that there is a long list of profligate expenditure.
As for Blackburn Road - what idiot came up with the statement that the road works and resurfacing are being carried out at the same time to reduce inconvenience? When you have temporary traffic lights, stop/go boards, parked cars, raised ironware you have the full recipe for total chaos which is what has ensued - took us 20 minutes to get from Willows Lane to Lonsdale St yesterday morning - thank goodness they have REDUCED inconvenience.
Whilst on the subject of the local council - why does it have to be politically aligned?

accyman 08-05-2015 22:33

barrie the electric car charger wasnt our money it was paid for by a government grant

which came from our money

but its not the same

honest it really isnt:confused:

accyman 08-05-2015 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1140520)
Whilst on the subject of the local council - why does it have to be politically aligned?

i dont see any need at all

the only thing it achieves is an us against them situation

no party no arguments

hey something may get done

Neil 08-05-2015 23:04

Because we are working folk and working folk vote Labour because it's what we do. Doesn't matter if it's right or wrong or if the council is full of nepotism, it's what we do.

Except me I have never voted Labour

accyman 09-05-2015 02:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1140527)
Because we are working folk and working folk vote Labour because it's what we do. Doesn't matter if it's right or wrong or if the council is full of nepotism, it's what we do.

Except me I have never voted Labour

when i was growing up it was drummed into me that under conservative the rich get richer and the poor get poorer

what the moron who kept telling me this didnt think of was that maybe just maybe the labour party would be totally different when i grew up.

it may have been just my household but im pretty sure many voters are influenced by their parents political beliefs

politics is like religion you have to spend all your childhood listening to people tell you whats what and by the time your old enough to make your own decision the damage is done

Margaret Pilkington 09-05-2015 05:35

The essence of the situation is that some people will do things the way that tradition dictates.
They use no brain power in deciding if what they can see around them is what they want to influence......and on a local level the vote does have some influence.....Nationally much less so.
I think that when voting in local politics, the party is not what you vote for. It is the person, and how you think they will benefit and improve the community that you live in.

lancsdave 09-05-2015 07:14

Loads of people pleased Labour have retained the parliamentary seat and increased the council stronghold. Lets see how they goes down with a Tory government. The perfect recipe for less government money :mad:

Barrie Yates 09-05-2015 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1140522)
barrie the electric car charger wasnt our money it was paid for by a government grant

which came from our money

but its not the same

honest it really isnt:confused:

Only a portion of the cost came from Central Government - pretty sure that the figures were quoted in the Observer - and I did raise the question of maintenance cost responsibility. Perhaps someday we will be told what the actual costs to the electorate will be - the same goes for the Click & Collect scheme:rolleyes:

Gordon Booth 09-05-2015 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1140540)
Only a portion of the cost came from Central Government - pretty sure that the figures were quoted in the Observer - and I did raise the question of maintenance cost responsibility. Perhaps someday we will be told what the actual costs to the electorate will be - the same goes for the Click & Collect scheme:rolleyes:

Cost in Dorset £64000 each, Gov grant pays 75%.
£16000 (plus maintenance?).
Who says Hyndburn has no money?

lancsdave 09-05-2015 10:39

Quote:

Perhaps someday we will be told what the actual costs to the electorate will be - the same goes for the Click & Collect scheme:rolleyes:

Initial cost £10k I think that was money from the Portas fund thing

Neil 09-05-2015 10:39

Quote:

If you want to know just do a freedom of information request

accybeme 09-05-2015 10:53

one only needs to draw a cross in a box to vote, there is no demand for an intelligence test prior to voting, the election allows every citizen of age a FREE vote, long may that continue

Barrie Yates 09-05-2015 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 1140547)
Initial cost £10k I think that was money from the Portas fund thing

Has it become a success yet - the early indications seemed to show that it was another white elephant.?