Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Small Beer? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/small-beer-67354.html)

Less 24-05-2015 18:25

Small Beer?

New commemorative beer set to go on sale in honour of Hyndburn MP's great-grandfather - Accrington Observer

Now, I have no reason to suppose our M.P.'s Great Granddad didn't do his duty, but, should he be commemorated in any special way? Surely all those that did their duty and therefore made the ultimate sacrifice deserve as much praise?

O.K. we can't name a beer after each and everyone, it would mean that none of us could drink that many beers, I'm sure Graham would agree, that rather than pick out one individual that did something far braver than I for one could do, it should be named after something all of us could raise just the occasional glass that considers all those that died for us?

(Lest we forget).

Studio25 24-05-2015 20:00

Re: Small Beer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1141381)
O.K. we can't name a beer after each and everyone...

There's no technical reason why it can't be done. The name is just printed on the label, after all. Surely it can't be too difficult, or even expensive, to print a different hero's name on each label. As far as stock control computers are concerned, the barcode has the identifying information.

The biggest problem I can see is the numpty who tries to buy another bottle of "Private Thomas Abbott" and can't because the chance of meeting another of his bottles is one in several thousand.

(Only chose that name because it's the first on the list of Accrington Pals.)

Less 24-05-2015 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studio25 (Post 1141385)
There's no technical reason why it can't be done. The name is just printed on the label, after all. Surely it can't be too difficult, or even expensive, to print a different hero's name on each label. As far as stock control computers are concerned, the barcode has the identifying information.

The biggest problem I can see is the numpty who tries to buy another bottle of "Private Thomas Abbott" and can't because the chance of meeting another of his bottles is one in several thousand.

(Only chose that name because it's the first on the list of Accrington Pals.)

Surely you are then naming a can or bottle after each of the fallen NOT a beer?

Retlaw 25-05-2015 11:44

Quote:

New commemorative beer set to go on sale in honour of Hyndburn MP's great-grandfather - Accrington Observer

Now, I have no reason to suppose our M.P.'s Great Granddad didn't do his duty, but, should he be commemorated in any special way? Surely all those that did their duty and therefore made the ultimate sacrifice deserve as much praise?

O.K. we can't name a beer after each and everyone, it would mean that none of us could drink that many beers, I'm sure Graham would agree, that rather than pick out one individual that did something far braver than I for one could do, it should be named after something all of us could raise just the occasional glass that considers all those that died for us?

(Lest we forget).

Those beer labels are designed by my daughter Cath from information supplied by me from my WW1 files, she's doing it to create funds for the Pals Centenary in 1916, so far there has been 9 different labels. WHY the sudden comments because some ones grandfather is on a label,
Those Pals Ales have been on sale at the house of commons for near 12 months, My uncle Walter is on one of the labels, he was the last of the original PALS to be killed in action.
Its a pity you lot have nowt else to do, other than critise her efforts to create funds for a good cause.
No wonder folks are deserting this site, she didn't get this responce on Facebook.
Soon there'l be no one left posting other that the football fanatics.

Less 25-05-2015 12:10

It's a pity you think I was getting at someone you nowty old beggar, I just think picking individuals isn't the way to go when so many gave their all not a few individuals.

Studio25 25-05-2015 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1141386)
Surely you are then naming a can or bottle after each of the fallen NOT a beer?

And that is a problem... why?

I think that for a lot of casual beer drinkers, there's not much difference between one beer and another. For example, I can't tell you the difference between Caffrey's and Bowland Gold even though I've had both in the past. I can't even say with any confidence that I'd be able to say which was which if I had a pint of each in front of me. (Which sounds like a good excuse for a scientific experiment at the local, later.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1141408)
...I just think picking individuals isn't the way to go when so many gave their all not a few individuals.

Fully agree. Well said.

accyman 25-05-2015 14:19

MP got face in paper and free advertising for a beer thats proceeds go to charity

at least one good thing came out of it :D

Retlaw 25-05-2015 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1141408)
It's a pity you think I was getting at someone you nowty old beggar, I just think picking individuals isn't the way to go when so many gave their all not a few individuals.

No wonder I'm a nowry owd begger when folk make daft comments.
Sorry our Cath didn't consult you for your expertise before she started the project.
So we can now look forward to you designing labels for the next batch of Pals Ales. You can post them on here when youve done.
If you go down Warner St you will see some of her other projects in shop windows, pictures of Accrington Heroes.

Less 25-05-2015 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1141419)
No wonder I'm a nowry owd begger when folk make daft comments.
Sorry our Cath didn't consult you for your expertise before she started the project.
So we can now look forward to you designing labels for the next batch of Pals Ales. You can post them on here when youve done.
If you go down Warner St you will see some of her other projects in shop windows, pictures of Accrington Heroes.

I didn't apply expertise, I am using sentiment, all of the fallen gave their lives in the belief it was a just cause worthy of each and every sacrifice, please tell me if it's your research how you choose one name, one task in the struggle they went through that is better than the sacrifice the whole made?
No don't bother, I'll tell you something, no one man that gave his life in that conflict deserves more recognition than any other on a label of 'small beer', no matter how much research, no matter how much design your daughter put into a label, they all died so that we can be free, recognise that not your petty squabble.

Retlaw 25-05-2015 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1141421)
I didn't apply expertise, Because you have none I am using sentiment, all of the fallen gave their lives in the belief it was a just cause worthy of each and every sacrifice, please tell me if it's your research yes it is my research how you choose one name, one task in the struggle they went through that is better than the sacrifice the whole made?
No don't bother, I'll tell you something, no one man that gave his life in that conflict deserves more recognition than any other on a label of 'small beer', no matter how much research, no matter how much design your daughter put into a label, they all died so that we can be free, recognise that not your petty squabble.

Once again you've shown why so many Accy Webbers have left this site, you can't resist poking at things you know nowt about. Out of the 12000 and some names of Accringon's Heroes in my file she has to pick some one, she' doing it for a reason. which you in your blind abusive manner can't see.
Mick if you read this please remove my name from the members list.

Less 25-05-2015 16:27

I'm not poking, I'm putting forward an opinion, you are allowed to disagree with it, however those soldiers died so that I can put forward my sentiments, they tell me it's wrong to pick out individuals to be used for the sale of beer no matter what they did. Not on a moral ground, just because I think each one that died deserves equal recognition. Didn't they die so I can say this?

Eric 25-05-2015 16:46

Maybe at some point one has to narrow things down. I don't think the fact that there is only one "Unknown Soldier" is an insult to all those lying in graves marked "Known Unto God." Or that the fact we have over here only one disabled child to represent the thousands of poor little sick kids in the Easter Seals campaign is a sign that they are being ignored. I don't consider myself unintelligent; but there are certain things I just can't wrap my head around: the horror of the trenches, the holocaust, the sexploitation of vulnerable kids ... and no doubt anyone can come up with lots more. The single image is a way of getting through that difficulty. Indeed, it may help focus the limited capabilities of the mind to handle the overload of millions of dead.

As a kind of aside, Captain Wilfred Owen of the Manchester Regiment was a keen photographer. He took many pics of the trenches in all their horror. But when he showed these to folks on the home front, they couldn't handle it, and preferred the fiction of glorious battle that the propagandists dished out. He found that short, vivid poems, concentrating on specific, limited incidents, and expressed in metaphor got his message over much more effectively.

By the way, let's not forget the wounded, like the guy who stands as my avatar, Private Albert Ashton of the King's Own, who lived for 30 years after the war; and every breath he drew was a painful reminder of Third Ypres. My own personal hero.

Margaret Pilkington 25-05-2015 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1141422)
Once again you've shown why so many Accy Webbers have left this site, you can't resist poking at things you know nowt about. Out of the 12000 and some names of Accringon's Heroes in my file she has to pick some one, she' doing it for a reason. which you in your blind abusive manner can't see.
Mick if you read this please remove my name from the members list.

Retlaw, you know that I have great respect for you and for the work you do, but I do not believe you are such a petty man as to make an issue of this.
Less was just asking if it was right that some men are singled out while others who gave the same for their country(their lives) are not?
It is a valid question. He was not slighting anything that your Cath has designed at all.
I suppose on the plus side what Accyman has said about the publicity is true....and it does bring to mind sacrifices made by men of this area...but don't you think their deeds have been hijacked somewhat for a commercial enterprise?

If you choose to leave Accyweb for something which is so petty, then you are not the man I took you for. Do not take offence where no offence was meant(or at least that is how I construed the original post).
You are a better person than that.....and why do you feel the need to talk down Accyweb?
If it truly is such a bad place then silently walk away from it.....I for one would miss your input.

Less 25-05-2015 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1141425)
Retlaw, you know that I have great respect for you and for the work you do, but I do not believe you are such a petty man as to make an issue of this.
Less was just asking if it was right that some men are singled out while others who gave the same for their country(their lives) are not?
It is a valid question. He was not slighting anything that your Cath has designed at all.
I suppose on the plus side what Accyman has said about the publicity is true....and it does bring to mind sacrifices made by men of this area...but don't you think their deeds have been hijacked somewhat for a commercial enterprise?

If you choose to leave Accyweb for something which is so petty, then you are not the man I took you for. Do not take offence where no offence was meant(or at least that is how I construed the original post).
You are a better person than that.....and why do you feel the need to talk down Accyweb?
If it truly is such a bad place then silently walk away from it.....I for one would miss your input.

Thank you Margaret, I meant no offence to anyone. I leant over backwards in my first post to try not to insult Graham Jones's great grandad, I truely admire what he and others did, I still don't however think anyone out of those men should be put forward for their name on 'small beer', each should be admired for giving their life to make ours safer.
I doubt I could have done the same.

Less 25-05-2015 18:27

Quote:

(Lest we forget).

This is what I first posted, where is there an insult to the pals, Retlaw, or his daughter?
All I said and am still saying is we shouldn't pick any single person from the thousands that died.
When each deserves a label.